Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

So there is a compatability problem between the P5E-VM HDMI and a X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card? Out of curiosity which O/S are you using?

I pointed out the nvram hang on page 17 and my fix of disabling the onboard audio. I also have an xfi. I went back to 0301 for this reason. I didn't notice any OC differences. If anything, 0405 was less stable for me than 0301 in my brief testing.

I believe Jim was using BIOS version 0301, and was still having stability issues, which is why he updated to 0405. Only removing the X Fi card resolved his problem.

Oh crap! I wished I read the last few entries on this thread before flashing the bios. I have the X-Fi problem. I tried going back to 0301. Asus Update says the bios is old and to use DOS utility to do it. AFUDOS also complains the bios is old and won't flash.
How can I flash the old bios?
Thanks.

Use that version, not the newer one floating around on the net.

Syntax is afudos /i<bios filename> /n /pbnc

NO space between /i and the filename

You will need to boot from a usb stick or cdrom iso. Hit f8 to get to the boot device selector.

Not working.
I got afudos from the asus site (v1.19, Asus v2.29). Its newer than the version that came on the support cd.
Stil getting the error, "The BIOS is too old, maybe it isn't compatible with the MB"

I have another issue now. I've overclocked my E6300 by setting FSB to 455. Control panel System Properties says 3.19Ghz. But for some reason, CPU-Z and Asus Suite says 2.73 Ghz and multiplier 6. I've set the multipler to 7 in BIOS.
Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: Nevermind, I started Prime95 and the multiplier is now 7. Seems like some throttle thing.

I have another issue now. I've overclocked my E6300 by setting FSB to 455. Control panel System Properties says 3.19Ghz. But for some reason, CPU-Z and Asus Suite says 2.73 Ghz and multiplier 6. I've set the multipler to 7 in BIOS.
Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: Nevermind, I started Prime95 and the multiplier is now 7. Seems like some throttle thing.

Yep, my E6550/P5E-VM HDMI did the same thing. I had it set at 433x7, but at idle it ran with a x6 multiplier. SpeedStep at work.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good HSF that will not only fit on this MB inside a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite, but get me a bit cooler? I have a E6550 running at 3.0GHz with the stock intel cooler, runs fine but i'd like to get the speed up a bit higher and get the temps as low as I can. There are a few out there that I am not sure will fit (Zalman 8700 for one) so i'd like to hear about some personal experiences from people who own this board.

The zalman 8700 fits with the stock northbridge, some of the fins of the zalman will go between the fins on the northbridge by a few mm but it isnt a problem.

My Zalman 7700 (slightly bigger than the 8700) fits without touching the NB at all.

I modified the stock Intel fan to fit on a Scythe mini ninja that fit nicely with stock Newbridge cooler. If oriented correcly, you can place the Intel fan so the blades are directly on top of the Newbrige cooler forcing air over the Newbridge then through the mini ninja. This is possible because the Intel stock fan does not have a shroud around it. Also provides PWM fan control using the 4 pin header on the mobo for the ninja. It took me a few days to figure out how to do it, but it fits nicely. I have no idea if it would fit in your case though.

Mike.

I've think that my stock Intel cooler, although it's OEM Intel is different from the retail boxed C2D cooler. I bought a Dell Inspiron 530 for cheap and gutted it for parts to build my current PC, and for the time being used the stock cooler.

The heatsink is aluminum, the base is not lapped, no copper insert. The fan is ~70MM (haven't measured it yet), is 4 pin and runs at 1600RPM. Here's an example pic of it:

01020501041001030820080113f5acefcd0ee1c7b95200fba9.jpg

Been lurking around here for awhile and reading up on things trying to understand everything. With that said and being this is my first Intel overclock in sometime I apologize in advance if I seem misinformed.

I'm using this board along with a G0 Q6600 and am attempting to overclock it. I think I'm experiencing massive vdroop with this combination. When I say massive, I mean basically .2 drop (not .02) when under load.

I can run 3.0 (9x333) prime stable totally stock. No bios tweaks, etc. Now to get to 3.2 (for which I'm using 8x400 ram set at 800) took 1.5125 volts set in the bios. Idle in windows the voltage is listed around 1.4 (using CPU-Z). When running prime this will drop to approx. 1.315. Using coretemp, my temps seem relatively happy...I'm not using stock cooler, using a 128-SE instead.

Anyways, I have voltage damper enabled in the BIOS which I think makes no difference. Would this be a good candidate for the vdroop mod or am I barking up a wrong tree?

Some other details -
Running this combo only with a hard drive plugged in. Also swapped different PSUs to see if there was a difference. There isn't.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good HSF that will not only fit on this MB inside a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite, but get me a bit cooler?

Look at my setup below this line, I also have a Lanbox but it's not the lite. Very silent but you can be more aggressive with a higher speed fan.

Rhialto, what are you temps like? Coretemp tells me my e4500 at 3ghz is loading in the low 70's, although Speedfan and Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool say my load temps are in the low to mid 50's.

Rhialto, what are you temps like? Coretemp tells me my e4500 at 3ghz is loading in the low 70's, although Speedfan and Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool say my load temps are in the low to mid 50's.
You don't want to know.. :) We can't compare because I'm using a positive pressure setup so everything is kept clean inside but I live with higher temps.

Coretemp gives 62 idle and 80 at full load (which don't happen much often running something like OCCT).

I don't want to know what it will look like in summer! But in the next weeks I will get a E8200 or E8400 so it may change a bit.

Look at my setup below this line, I also have a Lanbox but it's not the lite. Very silent but you can be more aggressive with a higher speed fan.

Couple questions....what kind of temps are you getting wit hthe xp-120? Is there enough room to fit a 120mm fan on top of the xp-120, enough so it doesn't hit the bottom of the power supply?

Couple questions....what kind of temps are you getting wit hthe xp-120? Is there enough room to fit a 120mm fan on top of the xp-120, enough so it doesn't hit the bottom of the power supply?

For temps, see previous message and for what it look like :
xp120db7.jpg

BTW I forgot to say the power supply ventilating does not interfer with inbox ventilating because the power supply is inversed (I applied a set of new stickers) so it's sucking air from top of case.

It's important because otherwise the 120mm on the XP-120 would have compete with the power supply fan both fighting to breath.

Unless of course you just flip the 120 fan and have the air sucking up and out into the psu., might work better, and thats the best looking lanbox interior i have ever seen.

Just put a QX9650 into my P5E-VM HDMI and I'm getting good OC results.
Only running at 10x450 atm but will soon go higher... only changed Vcore and Vdimm in bios.. everything else is @ stock.

CPU Batch: L739A769

Oh man Allsop ... you have a 45nm Yorkfield ??

Yorkfield XE
On November 11, 2007, Intel released the first Yorkfield XE processor, Core 2 Extreme QX9650. It is the first Intel desktop processor to use 45 nm technology and high-k metal gates. Yorkfield features a dual-die quad core design with two unified level-two (L2) caches, with a total of 12 MB (2 × 6144 KB) of L2 cache. It also features a 1333 MHz FSB and clock speed of 3 GHz. The processor incorporates SSE4.1 instructions and has total of 820 million transistors on 2x107 mm² dies.
(Wikipedia)

Please let us know the results asap.

Oh man Allsop ... you have a 45nm Yorkfield ??

Yorkfield XE
On November 11, 2007, Intel released the first Yorkfield XE processor, Core 2 Extreme QX9650. It is the first Intel desktop processor to use 45 nm technology and high-k metal gates. Yorkfield features a dual-die quad core design with two unified level-two (L2) caches, with a total of 12 MB (2 × 6144 KB) of L2 cache. It also features a 1333 MHz FSB and clock speed of 3 GHz. The processor incorporates SSE4.1 instructions and has total of 820 million transistors on 2x107 mm² dies.
(Wikipedia)

Please let us know the results asap.

Yep, first CPU that did cost me a fortune but worth every penny :)....
BTW, just changed cooling fluid in my W/C system... not gone over 4.6 yet...

By the way ... can you please give me your opinion about which set of memory I should get with the Asus P5E-VM HDMI.

Overclockers.uk have the following (2x2GB) modules in stock:

1. OCZ 4GB - PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2 ... for £64.61 (This week only offer)
2. OCZ 4GB - PC2-6400C4 800MHz Reaper HPC Enhanced Bandwidth Edition Dual Channel DDR2 ... for £76.36
3. OCZ 4GB - PC2-6400C4 800MHz ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth Edition Dual Channel DDR2 ... for £105.74

4. G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PQ PC2-6400C5 - CAS5 Dual Channel Kit ... for £76.36
5. G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PK PC2-6400C4 - CAS4 Dual Channel Kit ... for £76.36

6. OcUK 4GB - PC2-6400C5 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit ... for £50.51

7. Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX ... for £76.36

Corsair’s line of 4GB memory kits are designed for PCs featuring 64-bit operating systems. Please note: Installing 4GB onto PCs with 32-bit operating systems is not advised since 32-bit operating systems do not support 4GB of system memory.

What do you think, and what memory have you guys with this MB ?
No 6 is the cheapest set, do you think they'll do the trick ?

Thank you

PS: Am I off topic again ? But Motherboard and Memory belong together, don't they ?

GOOD LORD !! ... I'm fainting here. :eek:

Suddenly I don't feel like getting the Q6600 anymore. :(

Now I want one of these Yorkfields:
Q9450 - 12MB L2 - 2.66 GHz - 1333 MHz
Q9550 - 12MB L2 - 2.83 GHz - 1333 MHz
:D

just had a quick question in regards this particular motherboard. im putting together a htpc and was curious if i used this motherboard, do i need a video card or will the onboard be fine? i also plan on archiving all my dvds, hddvd, and blu-ray to my harddrive. i wont be doing any gaming at all.

these are some spare parts that i will be using.
q6600
corsair 8gb of ram
raptor-x 150
2x 1tb wd drives
corsair 520hx
lg combo drive (hddvd/blu-ray)

I already have a buyer for my current rig and I can't freaking wait until the 45nm quads come out. 4.0 Ghz and up is just unreal.

I dont think I'm gonna jump to a quad till the new socket mobos come out. My E6750 rigs should get me through this year. Only thing I may have to upgrade is the video cards but I can probably get by on those too. If Intel does go to the new socket at the end of this year as rumored I'll just wait and save my money. Those new quads do look sweet though. 4GHz+ on air is definately nice. :D

yes, but with video card it will still look clean. you just have to look from the other side than. ;)

P5E-VM hdmi with watercooling:

_MG_8891.jpg

@ AP2

Mate, you must be rich ! :eek:

calling Q6600 a spare part ? ... hahaha
8 GB RAM ? ... You must have a 64bit OS version. No driver issues ?
2x 1T drives ? ... Good Lord !!! That has to be the biggest storage I have come across to.
Corsair HX 520 Modular ? ... that's exactly the one I have chosen too.
LG combo drive ? ... I'm planning to get the Pioneer BluRay Drive.

Let me just tell you, for playback of BluRay DVDs you really don't need a separate video card.
The onboard video X3500 is absolutely fine with that. :cool:

Nice nice ... what Screen have you chosen ?

PS: HTPC = Home Theater Personal Computer

Anyone know if the Silverstone SG-06 Lite CPU cooler will fit on the P5E-VM? I've been looking around and haven't seen any definitive answers.

Yes, the NT-06 Lite "fits" on the P5E-VM HDMI. That's what I'm using right now. You'll have to cut solder joints that get in the way of the mounting plate that you attach to the underside of the motherboard though, which isn't difficult at all.

Back