Asus P5E solid and stable with 4x1 Ballistix?

Surly

Limp Gawd
Still trying to nail down the final specs of my new, tri-centennial computer. My QX9650 is finally in so I need to get a move on on the rest of the components.

The final peices of my setup that I need to figure out are the MB and ram combination. I'm set on running 4gb. I dont really need to worry about overclockability as any overclocking I do will be via simple cpu multipliers. That said I think I'm looking for a 4 x 1gb dimm loadout.

I'm still wiffle waffling between the Abit IP35PRO, the ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA and the ASUS P5E (which is basically a stripped down maximus formula) though i think im leaning towards the P5E. I think the deal breaker between the above choices is which is the stablest using 4 memory dimms.

Anyone know of any known issues with any of the above boards running in a 4x1 dimm config? Any anecdotal experiences with any of the above boards (using 4x1)? Im looking at 4 x Crucial Ballistix 1gb 6400 dimms (4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v) which seem to be pretty basic (not really pushing the envelope anywhere).

I need to get this box finished! :)

I am not sure how the X38 chipset will handle it, but I have been reading that alot of Asus boards have trouble with 4X1GB (4 slot configuration).

Not 100% sure, but I am certainly having problems with memory @ 4X1GB with my P5N-E SLI.

on my p5k del i ran 1x4 of ballistix 8500 till the board craped out on me. however, the ram did not like to overclock too much. ive never tried just one stick though. i just ordered a x38 board to replace it so we'll see.

I would RMA the board if 4 sticks didn't work. There are 4 slots so they better work. I'm going to be using 4 x1GB ballistix on my Abit IP35PRO I'm about to get. So I hope there is no problems.

More evidence that an RMA wont help you...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248250

My Abit IX38 is running flawlessly w/ 4 x 1gb Tracers and with a nice OC. With all the Asus bellyaches posted here in the last 6 months, I just dont get how Asus boards even make it on people's lists of options.

Seems everyone that's rockin Abits or GigaBytes are having better luck . Abit was cursed as well for a while there though... I hope Asus pulls itself out of the gutter in the future. I despise their products at this point. Too much time and money wasted for me...
/end rant

I have read alot about various motherboards having issues running with all four memory slots populated. I think it would be best to try running with 2 slots populated.

i don't know about all these asus problems with 4x1gb?

my p5k-dlx ran upto almost 500fsb 1:1 with 4x1gb

and my current board is the Maximus X38 which is running my Q6600 at 3.8ghz with 1.45v and 4x1gb ballistix with 2.0v 4-4-4-12

More evidence that an RMA wont help you...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248250

My Abit IX38 is running flawlessly w/ 4 x 1gb Tracers and with a nice OC. With all the Asus bellyaches posted here in the last 6 months, I just dont get how Asus boards even make it on people's lists of options.

Seems everyone that's rockin Abits or GigaBytes are having better luck . Abit was cursed as well for a while there though... I hope Asus pulls itself out of the gutter in the future. I despise their products at this point. Too much time and money wasted for me...
/end rant

sounds like you had some bad experiences with asus at some point?

i haven't used Asus for ages until the p5k-dlx and now my Maximus X38 but both boards have been insanely stable and fast.

the trouble with asus is they release way too many boards but my faith in them has been restored with these 2 boards that's for sure.

i don't know about all these asus problems with 4x1gb?

my p5k-dlx ran upto almost 500fsb 1:1 with 4x1gb

and my current board is the Maximus X38 which is running my Q6600 at 3.8ghz with 1.45v and 4x1gb ballistix with 2.0v 4-4-4-12

I too have had excellent luck with 4x1 setups on my mobo,even when mixing brands which is usually impossible with most boards.I was able to go as high as 472 with 4x1 and low cas settings,and still have good stability.

Back