ASUS officially increases graphics cards and motherboards pricing

Increase in money supply does not directly correlate with inflation, although it can have an effect. Top tier graphics card pricing has far outstripped the rate of inflation. So don't use "fake retail prices" and use ebay prices? LoL Supply and demand pricing has little to do with REAL inflation. You need to learn the difference,

It’s called inflation. Real inflation not the fake number they lie and tell us it is. Half of all the dollars in circulation were printed in 2020.
Not that much versus other countries, should see canada:
https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/money-supply-m0

M0 almost multiplied by 4.5 in 2020.

During the week of March 11, the Bank of Canada’s balance sheet sat at a little over $120 billion. In a little over two months, it almost quadrupled to $442 billion, a remarkable increase. The rate of growth has slowed, with total assets and liabilities peaking at $542.6 billion on the week of August 19th , and has actually fallen to $535 billion at the time of writing (week of September 9th ).

If you look at Norway:
https://tradingeconomics.com/norway/money-supply-m0

They more than tripled it in march and it is now where it was before the pandemy already, priced didn't jump back and they crashed back down during that movement

The fake retail prices are what get used to calculate inflation. The real prices
I think that for most thing the retail prices is the real price, how much of the economy video cards are (or anything getting scalped on ebay) that they should move inflation ?

As suspected, the tariffs (while true) are not the whole story here. "We have the opportunity to make a lot more money for a product in high demand, all that it requires is us to have some scapegoat.... tariffs are going up? PERFECT! 33% increase across the board!"
Reminds me of several years back when my state made a big deal about cutting the tax on a gallon of gasoline by 10 cents. Wouldn't you know that the day the cut was effective, the price of gas didn't budge. There was a magical gasoline shortage due to some pipeline problems that necessitated all the gas stations to raise the price of gas by right at 10 cents per gallon.

They figured what ever everyone was used to paying was what they would charge, tax cut or not.

Reminds me of several years back when my state made a big deal about cutting the tax on a gallon of gasoline by 10 cents. Wouldn't you know that the day the cut was effective, the price of gas didn't budge. There was a magical gasoline shortage due to some pipeline problems that necessitated all the gas stations to raise the price of gas by right at 10 cents per gallon.

They figured what ever everyone was used to paying was what they would charge, tax cut or not.
Prices are always sticky on the up side, never on the downside. Prices don’t go down until there is demand destruction. But they quickly rise when demand > supply.

Cutting gas taxes does not make prices go down in marginal situations, it just distributes the revenue to different sources.

While AMD and Nvidia are competing they are both supply constrained so they sell everything they make. They are competing with demand not each other. Crazy times!

sorry for the car analogy

The MSRP prices for the GPU are not real. If a corvette cost $10,000 you would not find one to buy on a car lot. If they cost $200,000 you wouldn’t see anyone driving them because no one buys them. The price is set such that their is 30-90 days of supply in the channel. If their is less than 30 day supply dealers sell at or above MSRP with no rebates. When supply gets above 90 days you start getting rebates and zero percent financial and other “incentives” so that the inventory turns over. If that is not enough to induce sales then production will be cut to bring inventory inline with demand.

We are not seeing this with GPU right now. Why? Because the MSRP are too low. If they were higher demand would be lower and their would be no profit for scalpers.

I don’t want high prices. But I would rather have high prices and some supply in the channel (micro center, Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg) then lower prices and no supply in the channel.

Meanwhile AMD CPU features which work on _any_ AMD CPU are locked to “higher tier” ANUStek motherboards for no reason other than greed.

Your post gave me a reminder from a blast from the past. Anyone remember this?

1610575130856.png

Full read if anyone wants it: http://postarchives.entensity.net/040105/scam.htm

Hey now, don't let a good excuse go unused. That would be wasteful.

Just look at COVID.

Rham Emmanuel "Never let a good crisis go to waste"

Asus has decided to adopt this ruinous ideology, and shove it down our throats. Other AIB's have followed suit. Why hasn't AMD AIB's bent us over yet ??

This people don't understand that. its not just fuck china thing, yea fuck them but it will move elsewhere. There are plenty of countries that will easily take manufacturing. At the end consumer is fucked either way. Stuff like that is never going to be manufactured here.
It is always easier for some folks to promote hate and distrust of others they want to vilify.
China isn't the major problem where component cost increases are concerned.
They're still assembling the products at way below average cost per unit compared to what western companies would.
No!...that blame lays with greedy American and European Corporations not willing to accept less profit on the things they already buy 'dirt cheap' from China.
As to Asus pricing...it is not surprising to me at all. I suspect others will follow suit.
If you see some corporation making record revenue on products you sell to them for a pittance, why wouldn't you increase your cost to them to get what you deserve?
The only body who will get screwed is the consumer, because increases (unlike the discussion I had with some naive guy in the videocard forum) gets passed on to the consumer.
While we were concentrating on GPU availability, B450 motherboards seem to have gone through the 'roof' unnoticed as well.
As a previous purchaser on Amazon, I occasionally get emails to answer questions for perspective buyers.
Imagine my surprise, when I went back to the page to look up the date of purchase and saw the 'new' price.
The board is now $236 higher on the lower end to $266 more on the upper end than what I paid for it in March of 2020.
If that isn't crazy, I don't know what is.

Attachments

• B450 increase.PNG
    B450 increase.PNG
    406.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm not terribly worried about when it gets filled as long as it's sometime in 2021 I guess.

Edit: What a crock of shit. EVGA charges you the FULL sales tax TWICE. You'd think that you'd only have to pay the tax on the difference.
No they don’t. It’s clearly noted they don’t in their step-up FAQ.

No they don’t. It’s clearly noted they don’t in their step-up FAQ.

Unless it is something they take into consideration at checkout later but the preliminary numbers they gave me when I signed up show otherwise.

Unless it is something they take into consideration at checkout later but the preliminary numbers they gave me when I signed up show otherwise.
https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
In the examples they give you they clearly show you only pay tax on the extra you have to pay to step up.

IE you buy a card for $600 and you step up to a card for $1000. Your new additional tax is only on that $400 difference.

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
In the examples they give you they clearly show you only pay tax on the extra you have to pay to step up.

IE you buy a card for $600 and you step up to a card for $1000. Your new additional tax is only on that $400 difference.

Capture.JPG

Well clearly EVGA is fucking me over then because $48.60 is my state's sales tax (6%) on $809.99. Maybe they edit it at checkout? Or maybe their Step Up support is out of date with what their actual policies are?

Actually, I just read over that step up support, and it doesn't actually say that you're only paying tax on the difference anywhere. All it says is you have to pay shipping and applicable taxes. It doesn't describe what the taxes are unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:
View attachment 320104

Well clearly EVGA is fucking me over then because $48.60 is my state's sales tax (6%) on $809.99. Maybe they edit it at checkout? Or maybe their Step Up support is out of date with what their actual policies are?
Lol, go figure.

Here's New York sales tax policy for instance:

"
When an item is purchased on sale, is sales tax due on the original price or the reduced price of the item?

If the item is on sale at a reduced price, or with a store coupon issued by the seller, sales tax is charged on the reduced price.

If the reduced price is the result of a manufacturer's reimbursement, such as a manufacturer's coupon or rebate or any other third-party's reimbursement, then the sales tax is charged on the full price of the item without regard to the reimbursement to the seller."

So I'm guessing whatever state you're in has a similar policy, and that the step-up counts as a manufacturer rebate. Just states sticking their hands in the cookie jar some more.

*Edit* Though what if the manufacturer is the store?

kirbyrj
I signed up for step up after receiving my 3080 Hybrid in December and I clearly remember the sales tax amount for the difference being correct. I since left the queue, so I have no way to verify my memory. I'm only here for extended holidays, but I believe we're both in PA and I think one of two things may have happened.

Either EVGA made an error when adjusting prices and applied incorrect sales tax amounts to everyone or state sales tax codes like NightReaver mentioned in NY have begun to apply in PA.

Edit - I just tested it with my Florida address and its showing tax on the full amount. Anyway, Florida doesn't charge sales tax on out of state only places like EVGA and it surely doesn't charge sales tax on the full amount anywhere, thus this is most likely an error on EVGA's part.

Last edited:
On the discussion of these price hikes in the wake of the tariff exception expiring: doesn't eVGA and a handful of other brands manufacture their RTX 3000 and Radeon 6000 series in, and ship from, Taiwan? If so, then why are they claiming the need to raise pricing?
Their PCB’s are made in China, the cards are assembled in Taiwan. It looks like they ship out of Hong Kong.

Their PCB’s are made in China, the cards are assembled in Taiwan. It looks like they ship out of Hong Kong.

Interesting. Are you able to share your source for this? I'm very interested to find out which brands are truly having to raise their pricing due to the tariffs vs which are doing so only because they feel that they should.

Interesting. Are you able to share your source for this? I'm very interested to find out which brands are truly having to raise their pricing due to the tariffs vs which are doing so only because they feel that they should.
I found it in their forums, the PCB clearly says made in China some of the box art you can make out assembled in Taiwan, though some of the parts are assembled in USA, I can’t find any distinction between which is made where. And everything up that way ships out of Hong Kong because of the port located there.
Im trying to get ahold of my Dell Rep asking about the Palit cards, I’ve not heard them make a statement on price increases and the Dell pages haven’t reflected one either. I see that they are located in New Jersy, so if they make their own PCB’s then there may be a good chance they get to skip the Tariffs entirely.

So saw 5600x in stock on Amazon and it was sold and shipped by Amazon they jacked the price to 399.99. I was like wtf. 5800x at B&H much better deal at this point. Haven’t seen them hack up prices so far.

I would like to say stop whining about the tariffs cause the new administration is going to go bow down to china once again soon but we know they won't lower the prices back down this gen. Next gen cards should go back to normal. Maybe...

So saw 5600x in stock on Amazon and it was sold and shipped by Amazon they jacked the price to 399.99. I was like wtf. 5800x at B&H much better deal at this point. Haven’t seen them hack up prices so far.

Yep, the msi 6900xt I nought from Newegg is lusted like $400 more than I paid.

I would like to say stop whining about the tariffs cause the new administration is going to go bow down to china once again soon but we know they won't lower the prices back down this gen. Next gen cards should go back to normal. Maybe...

A couple of guild buddies that live in Canada said the prices there are ridiculous too. As far as I know Canada has no tariffs on China. BTW, they said a 3070 is like 1k up there.

A couple of guild buddies that live in Canada said the prices there are ridiculous too. As far as I know Canada has no tariffs on China. BTW, they said a 3070 is like 1k up there.
Canada supply probably comes up from the US.

You’re fooling yourself if you think prices are going to go down next gen.

long as they keep selling at hyper inflated prices... I’d expect even higher MSRP for next gen GPUs and CPUs.

I'd argue that this is due to people falling over themselves to buy Turing 2.5 years ago at stupid pricing. If people refused to buy $1199 high end video cards when the outgoing generation was $699, the market would look different.

Plus, don't forget motherboards. I remember not that long ago when $150-200 bought you a very nicely equipped high end motherboard. Now it's $300 for the upper mid range.

Back