ASUS officially increases graphics cards and motherboards pricing

God fucking damn it
I'll never get my new GPU at this stage
I sold my 1080Ti when the new cards dropped for a good price nice and fast and got a 8GB RX580 for like 50 euros. i'll be rocking that for a while i think

God fucking damn it
I'll never get my new GPU at this stage
I sold my 1080Ti when the new cards dropped for a good price nice and fast and got a 8GB RX580 for like 50 euros. i'll be rocking that for a while i think
I was hoping to upgrade from my 1080ti in the spring. Looks like a non starter at this point.

Demand is elastic, or so I've been told. There has to be a breaking point where the scalpers can no longer turn a profit because there is no meat left on the bone. Also, there has to be a point where "buyer fatigue" kicks in and people get tired of hitting F5 or lining up at Microcenter.

my gtx 970 still plays the stuff I play the same way I am already accustomed to, so not upgrading right now isn't really hurting my sense of what I'm missing. Now would I like to jump into the next tier of coolness? Sure. But if I can't as long as my card still runs *knocks on wood* I'm fine. And yeah I'll still try to jump in on the Best Buy drops and buy a FE version that hopefully won't go up in price... but if it does, I can sit back and enjoy my 1080p and medium quality graphics :)

welcome to the new norm in pricing.

At least until Covid gets under control. The spotty supply issues plus extra social distancing / disinfection between shifts / leave coverage are one of the major reasons for these price increases.

I would estimate the majority of the world will have a shot by the end of the year, so maybe 6-9 months into 2022 (for the big beast to slowly improve it's manufacturing efficiency back to 2019-levels).

But buying anything as complicated as a Video Card / Motherboard this year is going to be Pure Pain.

Last edited:
It's not about being manufactured here vs. some random 3rd world country. It's about not giving China the leverage over our entire economy simply due to manufacturing capabilities. I'd rather some random Malaysian make money off of manufacturing than the Communist Chinese.

The above x100. Completely agree.

only if people could do anything about it. Clearly whatever we did is not working because shit just keeps getting more expense including damn groceries. I sware i feel like everything just keeps getting more expensive.

I count myself lucky,I was able to buy a 3080 for just a bit above retail MSRP in early November.
Married, with 4 adult daughters. All of which moved out of state for University (between 09 to 2014),and or work. All 4 have moved back in with the wife and I this past few months. Inflation on that item above has exploded over the last decade,but this year it will balloon beyond anything we have ever seen in western nations. The price hikes on video cards are not going away, neither are the lockdowns. If you want a newer card, try to get soon,before the prices spike allot more.

So the question I have, is will this ASUS increase only apply to US prices? The cards anywhere else will remain the same cost? Europe largely already has an import tax (VAT), other countries don't. So the prices of those things should be technically unchanged.

I put in another order for a 3080 today in Ontario Canada and all the prices from all AIBs went up,even though Canada does not have to pay these tariff's.

I put in another order for a 3080 today in Ontario Canada and all the prices from all AIBs went up,even though Canada does not have to pay these tariff's.
As suspected, the tariffs (while true) are not the whole story here. "We have the opportunity to make a lot more money for a product in high demand, all that it requires is us to have some scapegoat.... tariffs are going up? PERFECT! 33% increase across the board!"

As suspected, the tariffs (while true) are not the whole story here. "We have the opportunity to make a lot more money for a product in high demand, all that it requires is us to have some scapegoat.... tariffs are going up? PERFECT! 33% increase across the board!"
intended or not, excellent pun

I think some coverage are overstating the possible effect, they make it sound like a 25% tariff on a video card sold $700 mean that the company need to sell it $875 to make up for it.

If a VideoCard has a 100% margin, I feel like 787.5 would do.

I think the tariff is paid on what they pay Chinese supplier for the card (on the price business charge other business for the good), not on what a customer end up paying in the US

I feel like this is the logical course for events to follow.

new hardware is more complicated. New processors need better power delivery. RGB bling sells. Water cooling is being recommended by AMD for higher end “consumer” CPUs (not even starting on threadripper). GPUs start including hardware acceleration for what had previously been high end render farm Hollywood tech. Everyone demands more. Vanity builds and bragging rights for YouTube and Reddit.

it was only a matter of time before prices caught up. Covid sped it along, I’m sure, but enthusiasts thought X570 boards selling for $300+ and B550 at $200+ seemed reasonable, and people happily paid for the “too expensive” rtx 2000 series, so this was all in progress already.

I guess you can blame the manufacturers if you want, but people keep buying it.

EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra up to $879 from $809. My step up cost breakdown still shows $809 though. Frankly if they bump me up to $879 I better get like 3.5 FTWs or I'm calling someone at the Pentagon.

Can't blame the people buying when your choice is a duopoly or nothing.

You could buy prebuilts. You could play on integrated graphics, or on the "mainstream" cards they put in cheap gaming laptops. You could just keep your existing rig and not upgrade. You could go to the extreme and say "this is ridiculous, I can't afford this" and find a new hobby.

You could buy $150 motherboards instead of $270 or $330 ones. You could buy $250 video cards instead of $990 ones.

(okay, nothing is in stock right now at newegg, so I guess you can't actually buy a video card).

You could buy Ryzen 5 3600 instead of Ryzen 9 5900, or Core i5 instead of Core i9.

(I'd say you could just buy a console, but those aren't in stock anywhere, either).

No one is making you buy the stupid expensive parts. But they sell, and enthusiasts are chomping at the bit for more power. How often do you see someone say "my dream display is just a 43" OLED with 120hz variable refresh and 12-bit color, why can't someone make something so simple?" and in the next breath talk about how they can't wait for the 3080 "Ti" or whatever refresh to get 20GB of VRAM and try to push games at 4K, 120Hz UHD on a display they don't even have?

Now prices are going up, because it turns out... the market is willing to pay it. So they can stream a little better (You need 16 cores so you don't get lag when you're streaming, yo!) or be the first unboxing video on youtube, or brag about how their custom water loops are inside a fractal made from obsidian they paid a yeti to dig from the base of a volcano by hand, or build a coin mine in their basement, whatever.

People talk about ROI on PC hardware purchases now - not just for mining cryptocoins, but for what it will do to their streaming revenue, or what resale will be like, or how fast they can flip it when the next gen is announced. PC gamers are being priced right out of the market they made, because instead of looking at the slowly increasing prices of motherboards, processors and video cards, and sticking to parts priced what we, collectively, used to consider "the high end" - $300 for a processor and $500 for a video card - they wanted that $750 Ryzen 3950X, the $350 Aorus Master and a $1200 2080ti.

And the manufacturers? They noticed.

Buying prebuilts, or any of the other things you've listed doesn't get around the Duopoly at all.

Also everything being not in stock is part of the problem of a duopoly, there is no alternative except to go without.

there is no alternative except to go without.

and yet, people are still paying these prices.

If the market is willing to pay $1200 for a video card, why would you be surprised or upset when manufacturers decide to actually charge $1200?

you can bow out at any time. But the market has moved on from “reasonably priced” parts for high end gaming PCs. I’d be real surprised (pleasantly surprised) to ever see it return to that.

Nothing you have said counters the FACT that this is what happens in a duopoly. No alternative, no older generation supply, no choice but to pay what is demanded or leave. I am not saying they can't do it, but that they can to an extreme as we are seeing because there is no real competition in a duopoly.

On the discussion of these price hikes in the wake of the tariff exception expiring: doesn't eVGA and a handful of other brands manufacture their RTX 3000 and Radeon 6000 series in, and ship from, Taiwan? If so, then why are they claiming the need to raise pricing?

On the discussion of these price hikes in the wake of the tariff exception expiring: doesn't eVGA and a handful of other brands manufacture their RTX 3000 and Radeon 6000 series in, and ship from, Taiwan? If so, then why are they claiming the need to raise pricing?
Hey now, don't let a good excuse go unused. That would be wasteful.

Just look at COVID.

We’ve had a duopoly for nearly 20 years. Two real options for video cards and two real options for processors. It’s suddenly an issue now? Where were the $1200 video cards and $800 processors when Intel didn’t have any real competition from AMD?

everyone thought prices would go down with competition, but we’ve gone from i7-3770ks at the top end that were $330 (and that was expensive) to Ryzens that cost more than twice that. R9 290 and GTX 680 at $400-$500 to rtx 3090 at $1500 and rx 6900 at $1000 (not even accounting for inflated prices right now).

there are still cheap parts, but they aren’t what people want for 4k60fps, or YouTube views, or whatever. So you either stop sending the message that you’re willing to pay those prices, and do your pc gaming on Ryzen APUs or an i3 and $200 video card, or you... bow out.

no matter how you look at it, though, the thing is - enough people are into it now, willing to spend this kind of money on it, that the market is quickly pricing a lot of people who have been around for a while out of the hobby. We remember when a sweet gaming build was a $230 i5-4690k and a $330 gtx 970, but those days are gone.

you can either accept that and move on, or keep bitching about the prices. But as long as there are enough wannabe streamer YouTube stars buying $1200 video cards and 16 core processors to play Fortnite while their two dozen subscribers watch, it doesn’t matter. In just two GPU generations the opinion and spending power of the old school hardcore PC gamer has become irrelevant.

it sucks.

We’ve had a duopoly for nearly 20 years. Two real options for video cards and two real options for processors. It’s suddenly an issue now? Where were the $1200 video cards and $800 processors when Intel didn’t have any real competition from AMD?

everyone thought prices would go down with competition, but we’ve gone from i7-3770ks at the top end that were $330 (and that was expensive) to Ryzens that cost more than twice that. R9 290 and GTX 680 at $400-$500 to rtx 3090 at $1500 and rx 6900 at $1000 (not even accounting for inflated prices right now).

there are still cheap parts, but they aren’t what people want for 4k60fps, or YouTube views, or whatever. So you either stop sending the message that you’re willing to pay those prices, and do your pc gaming on Ryzen APUs or an i3 and $200 video card, or you... bow out.

no matter how you look at it, though, the thing is - enough people are into it now, willing to spend this kind of money on it, that the market is quickly pricing a lot of people who have been around for a while out of the hobby. We remember when a sweet gaming build was a $230 i5-4690k and a $330 gtx 970, but those days are gone.

you can either accept that and move on, or keep bitching about the prices. But as long as there are enough wannabe streamer YouTube stars buying $1200 video cards and 16 core processors to play Fortnite while their two dozen subscribers watch, it doesn’t matter. In just two GPU generations the opinion and spending power of the old school hardcore PC gamer has become irrelevant.

it sucks.
Even if a 3rd and 4th GPU maker were in the market right now....why would they sell any cheaper than the other 2? Literally everything is flying off the shelves, price be damned.

A competitor would be stupid for charging less for a comparable product atm. Competition really doesn't matter in a seller's market.

How would this work with EVGA step up? I was thinking about holding off upgrading my 3070 until the 3080Ti dropped, but it might be better to lock in a lower price on a 3080 before the price increase? Would EVGA change the price after submitting the Step Up to reflect the new price?

EVGA answered my own question for me on their website.

Due to ongoing events, EVGA has made price adjustments on the GeForce RTX 30 Series products. This change was necessary due to several factors and will be effective January 11, 2021. EVGA has worked to reduce and minimize these costs as much as possible. For those who are currently in the EVGA.com Notify Queue system or Step-Up Queue, EVGA will honor the original MSRP pricing through April 16th, 2021 if your purchase position is processed before this date.

I wonder what the chances are that they ship one to me before April 16th? I'm guessing zero.

They told me the card won't be shipped so my order cancelled on the MSI 3060 Ti Ventus 2X OC that costed a couple of ten dollars more than the FE card would have and now this. There went all my desire to buy a new card anytime soon. Become a console gamer isn't a possibility either as consoles are also scarse resource atm. This sucks, even the mining boom was not as annoying, how much lower can the hardware market possibly sink? Is this the new normal or can we get back to pre mining boom days still do you guys think?

so if the tariffs were to go away - say Jan 21st - will the prices go down? or will they be "sticky"?

so if the tariffs were to go away - say Jan 21st - will the prices go down? or will they be "sticky"?

Exactly. We all know the new pricing is here to stay. It was just a convenient excuse to squeeze more margin out of the product. eVGA added $70 and ASUS added $200. Why is it that one company on the basis of tariffs only add $70 and the other $200? 0% chance pricing is lowered again later.

Exactly. We all know the new pricing is here to stay. It was just a convenient excuse to squeeze more margin out of the product. eVGA added $70 and ASUS added $200. Why is it that one company on the basis of tariffs only add $70 and the other $200? 0% chance pricing is lowered again later.

yup yup... sort of like the gas prices / oil prices excuses...

When oil goes up and gasoline goes up.. all these companies start crying about the need to pass transportation and shipping costs to the consumer... but those costs will stay when oil and gas goes back down..

Everyone was just doled out several hundred bucks; well, almost everyone. Of course every thing is going to shoot up.

I'm waiting for my Used GTX 1660 Ti to hit $1k then I'll sell ... it is the ROG STRIX ADVANCED model after all :barefoot:

I'm waiting for my Used GTX 1660 Ti to hit $1k then I'll sell ... it is the ROG STRIX ADVANCED model after all :barefoot:
Hell if someone offered half that for my gtx970 I'd go in on that and run onboard video for while (or hell I think I have a 770 somewhere collecting dust I could use)

How would this work with EVGA step up? I was thinking about holding off upgrading my 3070 until the 3080Ti dropped, but it might be better to lock in a lower price on a 3080 before the price increase? Would EVGA change the price after submitting the Step Up to reflect the new price?
Why upgrade within a generation?

It’s called inflation. Real inflation not the fake number they lie and tell us it is. Half of all the dollars in circulation were printed in 2020.

During November 2020, year-over-year (YOY) growth in the money supply was at 37.08 percent. That’s unchanged from October’s rate, and up from November 2019’s rate of 5.9 percent.

More dollars chasing the same number or even possibly fewer goods means prices go up. The fake retail prices are what get used to calculate inflation. The real prices, which I would argue are the eBay prices don’t get counted.

If you can’t buy a 3080 for $700 on Newegg or Amazon but can buy it on eBay for $1200 then the price is not $700 but instead $1200.

If their was a wait list that would be an interesting experiment. $700 = 6 month wait. $800 = 3 month wait. $900 = 2 month wait. $1000 = 4 week wait. $1200 = no wait.

At what price point would people bite?

Last edited:
Back