ASUS officially increases graphics cards and motherboards pricing

This people don't understand that. its not just fuck china thing, yea fuck them but it will move elsewhere. There are plenty of countries that will easily take manufacturing. At the end consumer is fucked either way. Stuff like that is never going to be manufactured here.

It's not about being manufactured here vs. some random 3rd world country. It's about not giving China the leverage over our entire economy simply due to manufacturing capabilities. I'd rather some random Malaysian make money off of manufacturing than the Communist Chinese.

Why? They just pass the costs to the customer. They still get cheap ass labor. It be nice if we could shut china out but they would just move to another 3rd world country.
It’s not even the cheap labour, China is the only place in the world where you can go from raw material to finished product within 100sq km of each other. The US spent tens of trillions and 50 years developing China’s infrastructure after WW2 under the hopes they would eventually change their communist ways and become super friendly and indebted to the US. That’s not how it played out.
As it stands manufacturing is slowly moving to India and other countries as is but it will again take decades of work and trillions of dollars to complete.

Can someone please specify the exact change and the final amount? The link I was noted was about - https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...-process-and-technical-amendments-chinas-acts - but supposedly the vast majority of these already elapsed (ie meaning the new tariff was in effect) by Q4 2020 . Now it may be that GPUs and similar hardware are related specifically to one of the appendices with a different date, but I'd be curious of the particulars. Notably, what other components (ie I hear that motherboards will also be going up in price, but perhaps NOT CPUs. Will RAM? For computer components, it seems stuff that requires PCBs / logic boards at least). and will this also affect game consoles (I think it should, considering they're using various logic boards PCBs, have GPUs and are essentially PCs on a hardware level. However, it may very well be that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft may just absorb the hit rather than change prices).

While I'm guessing that the vast majority of others - MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, PNY, EVGA etc... what about AMD specific AIBs like Sapphire and Powercolor? - will raise their prices, I'm not convinced that the pretty significant changes here, on the amount of 25% etc are entirely necessary based on the tariff changes.; rather, it seems like the companies which are already having a massive "demand problem" (said by Jensen Huang of Nvidia) are exploiting the shortage? There was a time when the Asus STRIX 3090 White version cost very similar or slightly more than the standard one, but now atop these price increases and the limited release, they're adding an additional $200 pre-tax surcharge on the white version more or less? That's asinine . I suppose we're yet to see if AMD card prices will be jacked the same way - if AMD can take a step to restrict prices of their AIBs they can maybe get a step forward here. Then again I've seen some early (admittedly, only Newegg) situations where an Asus TUF 3080 now costs around $850 where an Asus TUF 6800XT costs $925, which is crazy. Other manufacturers of AMD cards don't seem to have made these significant increases vs the previous "normal" prices of 6800XT and 6900XT (both MSRP standard versions and AIB enhanced versions).

I've been a fan of Asus for a long time and they generally make good products and while others may be raising their prices too, this all seems pretty extreme at a time when the companies aren't exactly hurting for sales.

Why so angry, Gigabyte, EVGA, Zotac, MSI, they have all announced price increases. Blame the US Tariffs and the increase in material and shipping costs. The price increase is a direct result of them running their margins too thin.
Because ASUS markets themselves as a “premium” brand which sets pricing trends while not producing “premium” products.

Disassembling their Ryzen UEFI BIOS blobs yields a shit ton of bloat like Intel CPU and platform support keys and entries etc. Literally copy-pasta from the default AMI blob - yep sure is “premium”. Meanwhile AMD CPU features which work on _any_ AMD CPU are locked to “higher tier” ANUStek motherboards for no reason other than greed. There’s also the absolutely braindead way they implement EFI boot entries: reading them out erases them - sigh - so you better hope you wrote them correctly.

Let’s not even talk about the LOL that is their “support”.

That brand is a joke and it’s unfortunate they have the marketing presence they do because it inadvertently leads the rest of the manufacturers to follow their dumbass. Yea I am angry.

Dollar continues to lose value... open your eyes people.
only if people could do anything about it. Clearly whatever we did is not working because shit just keeps getting more expense including damn groceries. I sware i feel like everything just keeps getting more expensive.

If production moves to a place that doesn't use forced labor, that's a good thing, even if it raises the cost of goods a bit.
Never said I am not here to support a good thing. I am all for paying little more but clearly whatever the fuck we are doing isn't working and I don't think one will ever be able to rid China totally. There is so much shit tied to one another its crazy. In the end consumer will be fucked like always lol.

Well I just paid my Asus A320M-k 50 euros one month ago at Amazon with Prime (came the same day). Works great even with ECC RAM.

They have too, material costs have gone up almost 50% in the last 6 months. This cost increase has been a well-publicized thing for months. Asus is the first but they will all be following suit.
But has the BoM really gone up by $150-$250+ per video card or motherboard? Really?!

It already looked a lot like cartel price fixing between the major GPU manufacturers prior to this, and now it seems Asus is differentiating itself from the cartel-like behavior by radically raising prices over and above the present significantly inflated prices by the graphics card manufacturers.

But has the BoM really gone up by $150-$250+ per video card or motherboard? Really?!
Given the tariffs are 25% yes, a $600 part would have an extra $150 in import fees and a $1000 part would have an extra $250. I just cancelled my order for 6 A6000’s hoping this blows over. The tariffs added $7000 to the cost of the project, that’s basically 2 more cards.
The material cost on the average GPU is probably $50-100.

Given the tariffs are 25% yes, a $600 part would have an extra $150 in import fees and a $1000 part would have an extra $250. I just cancelled my order for 6 A6000’s hoping this blows over. The tariffs added $7000 to the cost of the project, that’s basically 2 more cards.
The material cost on the average GPU is probably $50-100.

Tariffs aren't paid by the builder in China but by the importer in the US, which is presumably why you had increase in price as the purchaser. Tariffs are to discourage a US business from buying something overseas; an import tax would be levied on the builder only if the builder was also the exporter. Asus raising its price then also raises the price for the US retailer and the end consumer. None of that is going to affect what it COSTS Asus to physically buy the other components in China / Taiwan / South Korea to then build the card or the motherboard in one of those three countries.

Tariffs aren't paid by the builder in China but by the importer in the US, which is presumably why you had increase in price as the purchaser. Tariffs are to discourage a US business from buying something overseas; an import tax would be levied on the builder only if the builder was also the exporter. Asus raising its price then also raises the price for the US retailer and the end consumer. None of that is going to affect what it COSTS Asus to physically buy the other components in China / Taiwan / South Korea to then build the card or the motherboard in one of those three countries.
So if Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, PNY, and the others had said nothing and instead all the retailers jacked their prices $100-$300 you would be happier? I don’t know the full details but I do know that capacitors, voltage regulators, and just about every component on the boards has gone up as well. Frankly I’m surprised that the increase is only this much, back in Nov many were predicting a full 50% increase to cards at retail by March.

So the question I have, is will this ASUS increase only apply to US prices? The cards anywhere else will remain the same cost? Europe largely already has an import tax (VAT), other countries don't. So the prices of those things should be technically unchanged.

Asus cards are already the most expensive in my country (somewhere in southeast asia) that it's not even funny.

Their 2060 SUPERs were priced higher than the 2070 SUPERs of other brands...

Currently, their 3060TI STRIX is more expensive than the entry level 3070s of other brands.

Not sure what they are trying to pull with this one.

Not sure what they are trying to pull with this one.
More money out of your pocket. ; D

Seriously though, Asus typically makes some pretty good shit and are a "Premium" vendor and expect a "Premium" price apparently. If they've priced themselves more than the market can bear - Asus will suffer the consequences. Somehow in a day and age when someone is happy just to be able to actually buy something in stock - I don't think this will be an issue.

It's not about being manufactured here vs. some random 3rd world country. It's about not giving China the leverage over our entire economy simply due to manufacturing capabilities. I'd rather some random Malaysian make money off of manufacturing than the Communist Chinese.

Bingo.

Why? They just pass the costs to the customer. They still get cheap ass labor. It be nice if we could shut china out but they would just move to another 3rd world country.

We were once that 3rd world country for Britain/Europe.

TuKf61l.jpg

Is PC gaming going to recover from this in the next generation or two at all? Assuming everything was actually available, consoles are a mad bargain compared to anything PC right now, it's nuts!

It really does feel like scary news for PC gamers. With PC gaming being a wealthy-only hobby now (no even decent low and mid-end offerings aside from 1660 and 5700XT maybe, right?), what developers are going to really bother with PC gaming? Why wouldn't developers and publishers focus on consoles more than ever now that the PC market is practically non-existant due to ridiculous price and supply.

• TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING: $859.99
From an original MSRP of $700, or +$50 for the OC model - which is all that's offered now, but which is no different than the non-OC model.

From the 1000 series to the 2000 series, there was no increase in price-to-performance. Does this now mean that there is none, or very little, increase in price-to-performance from the 1000 series to the 3000 series?

only if people could do anything about it. Clearly whatever we did is not working because shit just keeps getting more expense including damn groceries. I sware i feel like everything just keeps getting more expensive.
Inflation can really suck, if you lived through the 70's (I did) it was at times no end in sight. Hunkering down for the storm can be prudent.

Inflation can really suck, if you lived through the 70's (I did) it was at times no end in sight. Hunkering down for the storm can be prudent.
It's not inflation, though. It's offsetting US tariffs on China, various exemptions for which are expiring, and also dealing with increased international shipping costs due to Covid-19.

If the US dropped its tariffs on China, the prices would mostly come back-down (or, maybe not, because companies get comfortable with charging higher prices once they're established).

It's not inflation, though. It's offsetting US tariffs on China, various exemptions for which are expiring, and also dealing with increased international shipping costs due to Covid-19.

If the US dropped its tariffs on China, the prices would mostly come back-down (or, maybe not, because companies get comfortable with charging higher prices once they're established).
So, what you're saying is - you have no idea.

Nice market we've got here! It's getting better and better so it's a great thing I don't care at all about games anymore! Now building a nice home gym instead! There are many things we can spend money on and once everything returns to normal I will begin travelling! F-Off with your ridiculous prices.........I've had enough! (I also got a PS5 for my 10 year old son + a nice bike that he uses in nature, instead of high-end gaming gear).

The only instance I can justify whatever high prices they charge, is when it comes to work and hardware that makes me money. My current build makes me money, it's tax deductible and will upgrade as needed of course. Spending thousands for gaming......no way, not anymore and personally I prefer "investing" in hardware (i.e. non-pc) that lasts much longer for this kind of money.

Well maybe if the world would stop sucking of the titties of China and grow some balls and start manufacturing outside of China, we wouldn't have this problem.

I love how the world just turns the blind eye to a Communist country that at this very moment runs concentration camps for Muslims and "Enemies of the CCP". The world really needs to wake up!

Let's Review..

Did you cover all the bases?
The assertion of my post is that the price-increases are caused by US tariffs on China and Covid-19 shipping-cost increases. That is cited from multiple sources, and Asus also cites both causes in their announcement.

Logically, if the cause of the price-increases is taken-away, then the price-increase should also go away - unless the manufacturer simply feels comfortable maintaining the higher price after they see it works.

So, yes, the "bases" are covered in the sense that what was posted by myself is evidenced to be accurate.

The assertion of my post is that the price-increases are caused by US tariffs on China and Covid-19 shipping-cost increases. That is cited from multiple sources, and Asus also cites both causes in their announcement.

Logically, if the cause of the price-increases is taken-away, then the price-increase should also go away - unless the manufacturer simply feels comfortable maintaining the higher price after they see it works.

So, yes, the "bases" are covered in the sense that what was posted by myself is evidenced to be accurate.
as long as you are right.

Just another company using Covid-19 as an excuse to further an agenda or action. It happens a lot these days & its pretty sickening.

So if Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, PNY, and the others had said nothing and instead all the retailers jacked their prices $100-$300 you would be happier? I don’t know the full details but I do know that capacitors, voltage regulators, and just about every component on the boards has gone up as well. Frankly I’m surprised that the increase is only this much, back in Nov many were predicting a full 50% increase to cards at retail by March.
They said nothing publicly and came to market with the prices pre-jacked by $100-300 in the same market segments with pricing so similar that it has the stench of a cartel. For Asus to take the price even higher as a precursor to an obvious group move of bringing prices back to the same ultra-bloated level of Nvidia's 20xx series is even worse. What makes it all the more galling is the obvious lie that the materials costs of these Asus cards is now $150-$250 more than the already $150-250 increase over the cost of reference when every tear down of the aircooled cards shows only nominal cost increases due to upgraded parts in the non-reference cards. Do you really believe that Asus is paying $300-$500 more for raw parts per card separate from the price charged by AMD and/or Nvidia for the GPU and memory?!

Before Nvidia started charging near monopoly exploitation on first the 10xx cards and then really exploited the 20xx cards, modest deviations from reference designs on even high cards were more in the line of a $10-$50 price increase. Any more than that was a signifier of some truly expensive addition like the doubling of VRAM on a $500-$600 card or a custom and then fairly new hybrid waterblock cooling solution. (Hey remember when the high end was "just" $500?!). With Nvidia's 30xx and AMD's 6xxx cards, graphics cards that are reference in all but name or have the most minor deviation from the reference board are charging gougingly high price increases over the reference that are fully unexplainable unless the AiB partner was take a significant loss on each reference card sold at reference price. ASUS's independent price increase is predatory and the reason given is almost certainly blatantly false. When the other AiB's join this increase because of what looks like an ever more artificially maintained lack of stock it should result in investigations... but both the US and Europe don't really do that anymore.

"Many will opine that the tariffs situation could also be used as a scapegoat to increase MSRPs in the midst of the PC hardware shortage, especially when you consider that GPU prices are on the rise globally and not only in the US. "

So, tariffs are definitely happening and causing an increase in prices... but some people might opine that prices are being increased further in additional countries under the cover of US tariffs increasing prices?

And the immediately-subsequent paragraph:

"The goal of these tariffs is to increase production in the US and increase local employment and decrease reliance on imported goods. Manufacturers could ship almost-finished products to the US and finish assembly and packaging locally to attempt to defray the impact of these steep import taxes, but this would take years and be more expensive than tariff-exempt imports, and it isn't a panacea. The catch is, most of the components in the supply chain are also impacted by the tariffs, which are applied as those components are shipped out of China. Because the tariffs only apply to goods shipped from China to the US, companies are more likely to reroute manufacturing to other low-cost labor countries to avoid the fees."

I'm not sure what your point is. Tariffs are definitely increasing prices.

The recouping of additional expenses due to tariffs will be spread-out over all countries, and not just the US (and I'd guess that some countries, like Canada and Mexico, get their GPU shipments from the US). The tariffs are up to 25%. Do you see that high an increase on US GPU prices in Asus' announcement? And then factor-in the increase in international shipping costs and longer shipping times due to Covid-19.

Last edited:
And the immediately-subsequent paragraph:

"The goal of these tariffs is to increase production in the US and increase local employment and decrease reliance on imported goods. Manufacturers could ship almost-finished products to the US and finish assembly and packaging locally to attempt to defray the impact of these steep import taxes, but this would take years and be more expensive than tariff-exempt imports, and it isn't a panacea. The catch is, most of the components in the supply chain are also impacted by the tariffs, which are applied as those components are shipped out of China. Because the tariffs only apply to goods shipped from China to the US, companies are more likely to reroute manufacturing to other low-cost labor countries to avoid the fees."

I'm not sure what your point is. Tariffs are definitely increasing prices.

The recouping of additional expenses due to tariffs will be spread-out over all countries, and not just the US (and I'd guess that some countries, like Canada and Mexico, get their GPU shipments from the US). The tariffs are up to 25%. Do you see that high an increase on US GPU prices in Asus' announcement? And then factor-in the increase in international shipping costs and longer shipping times due to Covid-19.
Tariffs would only be increasing the build cost if the components and sub-assemblies were repeatedly being cross-shipped between the US and China at multiple stages in the graphics card construction process. However, since the PCB comes from China or SE Asia for manufacture in China or SE Asia and effectively all the parts on the card are not coming to the US... the tariffs don't enter into affecting the BoM price for an AiB card.

Tariffs COULD be applied against the importer who then sells the card to whatever middleman or distributor who then sells the card to the retailer who then sell the graphics card to the general public. Again, none of that affects the cost for an AiB partner manufacturer in mainland China, Taiwan, or South Korea to actually build the card, which is Asus's reason for adding a massive price increase to the already massive price increase over a reference card when nothing in the construction of these doubly surcharging cards reflects anything close to the first surcharge let alone having the second one applied.

Back