ASUS officially increases graphics cards and motherboards pricing

So they couldn't squeeze any more acronyms out like STRIX, TUF or ROG to hype up their products (price points) and they're going all in and saying "yeah we're just going to raise prices!"

But $779 for a 3070? Just because they say STRIX and make it white? Yikes! Vanity definitely comes at a price, I'd rather get a "plain" 3080 from some other company for $80 cheaper (assuming I could)

I expect all of the AIBs will increase price, ASUS was just the first.

I recall when NewEgg was going to have a drop, smack dab in the middle of a refresh race all prices bumped up like $40 on all cards.

I expect everyone will follow suit. GPU's like the 3080, 6800XT, and 6900XT's were already what looked to me as being sold at razor thin margins. The RTX 3090 is probably being sold at less of a margin than we might have imagined, but its probably got the healthiest one of all high end GPU's by far. That seems to go without saying, but I said it anyway. On the motherboards, I don't know about a $200 price increase across the board like we are seeing with the GPU's, and I don't think that will be the case. However, these have gotten more expensive and have been for some time. The ASUS Maximus XII Extreme for example is already $200+ overpriced if you ask me. Motherboards crossing the $500 mark in the mainstream segment was unthinkable just two or three years ago. Now, many offerings are upwards of $1,000.

They have too, material costs have gone up almost 50% in the last 6 months. This cost increase has been a well-publicized thing for months. Asus is the first but they will all be following suit.

Glad I was able to get my build together when I did, shit. Seems to just keep getting worse and worse.

How would this work with EVGA step up? I was thinking about holding off upgrading my 3070 until the 3080Ti dropped, but it might be better to lock in a lower price on a 3080 before the price increase? Would EVGA change the price after submitting the Step Up to reflect the new price?

The RTX 3090 is probably being sold at less of a margin than we might have imagined, but its probably got the healthiest one of all high end GPU's by far. That seems to go without saying, but I said it anyway.

Might be why 3090s seem to come into stock the most frequently to.

How would this work with EVGA step up? I was thinking about holding off upgrading my 3070 until the 3080Ti dropped, but it might be better to lock in a lower price on a 3080 before the price increase? Would EVGA change the price after submitting the Step Up to reflect the new price?
Because you can queue for step up, leave and re-queue throughout the 90 days, I'd sign up now for a 3080 and see what happens over the next week or two in regards to price. I'd assume the price they give you during the queue would be locked in due to how it works and I highly doubt your queue would get filled anytime soon.

Is the price increase immedically?
Supposedly as of Jan 1st. So everything that is being imported after the 1st will be subject to the price increase.
Fuck ASUS. More money for half-assed “engineering”, locked-down and bloated shit BIOS, non-existent support.
Why so angry? Everyone is rasing their prices. Asus also has the best build 3080/3090 through out their product stack.

Because you can queue for step up, leave and re-queue throughout the 90 days, I'd sign up now for a 3080 and see what happens over the next week or two in regards to price. I'd assume the price they give you during the queue would be locked in due to how it works and I highly doubt your queue would get filled anytime soon.

Thanks for the info. I'm not terribly worried about when it gets filled as long as it's sometime in 2021 I guess.

Edit: What a crock of shit. EVGA charges you the FULL sales tax TWICE. You'd think that you'd only have to pay the tax on the difference.

Thanks for the info. I'm not terribly worried about when it gets filled as long as it's sometime in 2021 I guess.
Haha! Yes, I meant I doubt it gets filled over the next few weeks, allowing you to see what happens with prices and ideally leave the 3080 Step up queue when/if the 3080 Ti shows up.

I had originally registered for step up with my 3080 FTW Hybrid, thinking the card wouldn't work with my current case and left then signed up 2-3 different times out of confusion about what to do, so you can indeed step up several times over the 90 days. In the end, the Hybrid worked out with my case. I hope you get the card you want as well!!

Edit: What a crock of shit. EVGA charges you the FULL sales tax TWICE. You'd think that you'd only have to pay the tax on the difference.

Yep, but that's probably how the state governments that charge the sales tax want it done or at least I think that's how things work specifically in California, Rhode Island and a few other states. I remember a friend of mine from CA telling me he had to pay full sales tax on a phone that was "free".

Fuck ASUS. More money for half-assed “engineering”, locked-down and bloated shit BIOS, non-existent support.
Why so angry, Gigabyte, EVGA, Zotac, MSI, they have all announced price increases. Blame the US Tariffs and the increase in material and shipping costs. The price increase is a direct result of them running their margins too thin.

Haha! Yes, I meant I doubt it gets filled over the next few weeks, allowing you to see what happens with prices and ideally leave the 3080 Step up queue when/if the 3080 Ti shows up.

I had originally registered for step up with my 3080 FTW Hybrid, thinking the card wouldn't work with my current case and left then signed up 2-3 different times out of confusion about what to do, so you can indeed step up several times over the 90 days. In the end, the Hybrid worked out with my case. I hope you get the card you want as well!!

Yep, but that's probably how the state governments that charge the sales tax want it done or at least I think that's how things work specifically in California, Rhode Island and a few other states. I remember a friend of mine from CA telling me he had to pay full sales tax on a phone that was "free".
Yea you typically have to pay tax on anything even it is free. Watch all those cell commercials that say buy one get one free. You still will have to pay tax on the free one.

Components to create both GPUs and MBs them are probably rising in price so they have no choice.

Why? They just pass the costs to the customer. They still get cheap ass labor. It be nice if we could shut china out but they would just move to another 3rd world country.

This people don't understand that. its not just fuck china thing, yea fuck them but it will move elsewhere. There are plenty of countries that will easily take manufacturing. At the end consumer is fucked either way. Stuff like that is never going to be manufactured here.

Back