ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

I decided to put away my frustrations for a few hours and mess with my P9X79 DELUXE It is running a 3930k with 16 gigs. I was last tinking with trying to get my vertex 3 to become my boot drive but I wasnt even able to get the sata working properly. Every single time I updated something else broke so it looks like alot has changed minus a updated version of the board being released.

my question to everyone and Raja: 1. Has the SATA issues been fixed without needing an outisde machine to jerry rig up a USB thumbstick?

2. What has panned out to be the most reliable storage configuration? I was reading a few posts regarding a wakelock problem was occuring in a high number of setups .

I tried something crazy and ran the Asus EZupdate just because I knew I was going to try and get a fresh start once I did a little homework lo and behold it my externals HD's stopped being detected. Ive got about 20 driver errors in device manager. Not a good omen (BTW Running 764bit) I downloaded all the lastest updates on the support site. I dont really have a way to install windows 7 on a thumb drive because nobody buys desktops anymore ? POST PC world

I digress I can live without an SSD boot but id rather not have you come up with any kind of method that gives you reliable work arouound to
\\\

You are the only person with these issues.

Would post up a full parts and config list.

I decided to put away my frustrations for a few hours and mess with my P9X79 DELUXE It is running a 3930k with 16 gigs. I was last tinking with trying to get my vertex 3 to become my boot drive but I wasnt even able to get the sata working properly. Every single time I updated something else broke so it looks like alot has changed minus a updated version of the board being released.

my question to everyone and Raja: 1. Has the SATA issues been fixed without needing an outisde machine to jerry rig up a USB thumbstick?

2. What has panned out to be the most reliable storage configuration? I was reading a few posts regarding a wakelock problem was occuring in a high number of setups .

I tried something crazy and ran the Asus EZupdate just because I knew I was going to try and get a fresh start once I did a little homework lo and behold it my externals HD's stopped being detected. Ive got about 20 driver errors in device manager. Not a good omen (BTW Running 764bit) I downloaded all the lastest updates on the support site. I dont really have a way to install windows 7 on a thumb drive because nobody buys desktops anymore ? POST PC world

I digress I can live without an SSD boot but id rather not have you come up with any kind of method that gives you reliable work arouound to
\\\

More information is necessary.

Raja, sound question.
I am truly impressed with the sound from my RIVBE. I am a true audiophile and I believe that this boards on board sound rivals the best of the add in sound cards to the point that I probably will stay with the onboard sound..
My issue is that the Realtek HD audio manager seems to loose connection with my rear speakers per the speaker test. When this happens I can usually unplug the cable from the black output plug and it finds them again.
My speakers are fine as are my amps Etc. Also while the center speaker tests OK in the speaker test it plays no music or sound.
I am using "enable bass management" but not "swap Center/Sub output". I also am not using any environmental sounds.
Any suggestions?

Hi,
I've just installed a E5-1650V2 on a P9X79-E WS Board with Crucial standard 1.5v DDR3-1600 ECC memory, so far so good (I don't know why crucial is not on QVL, very popular ECC memory), but...
There're a couple of problems about voltage...
CPU PLL default is set at 1.8v with Auto but for IV-E the correct Voltage is 1.7V, I've set it at 1.7 after 1 day of use.:(
VTT default is set at 1.05V with Auto but for IV-E the correct Voltage is 1.00V , unfortunately it's NO possible set It lower that 1.05v on the Board !! :mad:

@Raja

Can you explain me why ? is it a BIOS bug ?
1.05V on VTT is out of safe range by Intel Spec (0.957-1.043)
I'm using the latest BIOS 1406 (12/24/2013)

About Xeon E5-16XX v2, On your other thread, you have showed a E5-1680v2 @4-4.1Ghz on P9X79-E WS, have you used the Turbo Ratio (By per core) and select x40, x41 on all the cores to OC the CPU ? it was an ES?
With my E5-1650v2 I can't see the CPU Ratio Options to show under CPU Performance Settings, but I've read that these chips are indeed unlocked, I've not still load windows to confirm the clock.
I dream what if E5-1680v2 (An unannounced, not listed, Rare $1800 chip) is unlocked too ? It has 3,9 turbo speed, so a multi x39 is present at minimun.... 3.9@ 8 Cores.... but his die is based on Ivy Bridge-EP.

Thanks

Last edited:
Quick Update:
I can confim that my E5-1650v2 is fully Unlocked, I've booted at 4Ghz into Win7, CPUZ reported 4Ghz (x40). Good

@Raja

The Board boot and stay at Turbo Speed All the time whatever option I select, moreover the board set the voltage higher and higher upping the multy, if I set manually the voltage yhe cpu loose the dropping voltage and multy at idle....
If I select Offset Mode like method to set CPU Voltage, at idle the CPU drop down at x12, ready to go a Turbo Speed whatever there's load...
Only way to run at stock speed is to disable turbo mode.
It's looks for me that now turbo mode is used like a way to overclock the CPU instead to use the CPU Ratio. Right ?
There's no way to run it by Intel Specs ?
I'd have preferred a more standard-act at stock settings.
P9X79-E Ws is a Workstations Boards not a ROG board, to be clear,
regards

Anybody have a x79 sabertooth mobo cd I can borrow? Or let me know what version the sound driver is on it. I want to try and reinstall that specific driver version before I decide to rma.

Anybody have a x79 sabertooth mobo cd I can borrow? Or let me know what version the sound driver is on it. I want to try and reinstall that specific driver version before I decide to rma.

I got my Sabertooth X79 in April 2012, so if you bought recently they may ship with newer drivers. Here is what I could make out.

In MB SUPPORT CD/Drivers/Audio/Driver/Vista64/HDX*.inf and /Vista/HDX*.inf files:
Code:
[Strings]
MfgName="Realtek"
; not sure if this is localizable
MediaCategories="SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaCategories"
; localizable
OrganizationName="Realtek Semiconductor Corp."
PackageDisplayName="HD Audio Driver"
DriverVersion="6.0.1.6468"
The above should be correct for Vista and Windows 7.

For older Windows versions it seems to install the following driver version:
In MB SUPPORT CD/Drivers/Audio/Driver/WDM/HDALC.inf and other HD*.inf files:
Code:
[Strings]
MfgName="Realtek"
; not sure if this is localizable
MediaCategories="SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaCategories"
; localizable
OrganizationName="Realtek Semiconductor Corp."
PackageDisplayName="HD Audio Driver"
DriverVersion="5.10.0.6468"

Here some more:

MB SUPPORT CD/Drivers/Audio/Driver/setup.ini:
Code:
[Driver Package Version]
PackageVersion = PG335
DriverPackageVersion = 
DriverSubversion =

MB SUPPORT CD/Drivers/Audio/Driver/setup.iss:
Code:
[Application]
Name=Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Version=1.87
Company=Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Lang=0009

MB SUPPORT CD/Drivers/Audio/Driver/Usetup.iss:
Code:
[Application]
Name=Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Version=2.49
Company=Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Lang=0009

Hope that helps.

P.S.: I run Linux which - unlike Windows - has plug-and-play. This is the first time I even opened the motherboard driver disk.

One more advice before you RMA the board:

1. Download Linux Mint 16 Mate 64 bit from here - choose a 64 bit ISO !!!

2. Download Unetbootin from here - choose the Windows version.

3. Insert a USB flash drive and start Unetbootin.

4. Select the "Diskimage" option and choose the Linux Mint ISO image you downloaded.

5. Make sure Unetbootin selected the correct USB flash stick and let it install Linux Mint on the USB stick - that will take a few minutes.

6. With the USB stick in place, reboot the PC and press F8.

7. Select the USB stick to boot from.

8. If asked, select Linux Mint Life or default.

9. You should now be running Linux. Open Firefox, go to for Youtube and play some music/video - does the audio work as expected? To further test audio, you can also download some mp3 or flac files and test them. You can even enter your hard drive(s) on your PC and select whatever audio or video material you have on it.

10. If all works fine under Linux Mint, something is screwed up in Windows. If you don't get sound, and Windows is also giving you headaches with audio, RMA the board.

For those who know what VT-d is good for, here's my BIOS upgrade experience (if you run Windows, don't read any further):

Hardware: Asus Sabertooth X79
BIOS release before update: 1203 (yes, that ancient one from mid-2012)
BIOS release when converting ROM to CAP: 2104
BIOS release after latest upgrade: 4608 (date: 2014.01.03)

Hypervisor: Xen 4.3
OS2: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit as domU

Using the USB BIOS flash port on the back, upgrading the BIOS couldn't have been easier. The only thing that's not described in the upgrade instructions is that after the blue BIOS update light goes off, you need to start the PC. Only then does it flash the BIOS and restart.

As usual after BIOS upgrades, my BIOS settings were lost :(. If you use VT-d (for example with Xen, KVM, or VMware), you need to enable it again. Also, all that Windows-specific "secure boot" crap needs to be disabled, specifically you need to select "other OS".

Observations: With the 4608 BIOS I was able to shorten the boot time, not much but still noticeable. VT-d works as advertised, and my Windows guest starts without a hickup.

Important: I'm using a i7 3930K SB-E CPU. The latest BIOS is NOT supporting VT-d for IVB-E CPUs !!!

Asus Rampage IV Extreme (RIVE) is currently the only Asus desktop motherboard that supports VT-d in conjunction with the new Ivybridge-E 4960X, 4930K, and 4820K. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40309-No-VT-d-support-for-IVB-E-on-R4E-boards/page3.

Last edited:
Any chance RMAs work through the weekend? I failed to realize my RMA will arrive this Saturday as well as MLK jr day this Monday. I threw money away to get it there and sit outside the bulding!

Hi, I'm using turbo evo to help me to find the sweet spot of my cpu, but i've found this 'strange' trouble. I've set into the bios all the main voltage, setting x42 on turbo ratio and 1.265v vcore I can boot into the desktop launch prime for 5 min just fine, but if I boot at x36 at 1.15v for example and set x42 turbo and 1.265v vcore into turbo evo apply and run prime I get a Bsod instantly.
Are there some hidden setting manipulated behind the scene by the bios that turbo evo don't apply?
Why?

Last edited:
You might want to check PLL OV. Other than that, there should not be much - try manually setting all associated voltage rails in case they ramp as well. I would not go too far from UEFI settings anyway. Some voltages need increasing to get he CPU to POST reliably and be stable. Its just the way things are.

-Raja

You might want to check PLL OV. Other than that, there should not be much - try manually setting all associated voltage rails in case they ramp as well. I would not go too far from UEFI settings anyway. Some voltages need increasing to get he CPU to POST reliably and be stable. Its just the way things are.

-Raja

I've VCORE, VSSCA, VDRAM, CPU PLL, VTT , PCH 1.1&1.5v are all set manually at fixed value.
I change only Turbo ration & vcore in TurboEvo and BIOS and I get different result.
Maybe some 'hidden' relaxed timing are set by BIOS with different turbo ratio ?

thanks

Last edited:
The CPUs need certain things to be changed to POST after certain frequencies (we have to use specialized hardware in some cases). Seeing as your system isn't stable one way or the other - 5 mins versus instant, I'd focus on getting it stable and not worrying about the differences in how the system reacts to POSTing at various ratios. If you need to BOOT closer to the multiplier you want to use just do that and dial out the instability gradually with voltage or whatever else it needs. Point being, don't focus too much on the difference between these two BOOT up points, focus on getting the system stable. There is nothing about the difference in how TurboV and UEFI does that will help you - you probably just need to use more VCore or lower the CPU ratio so it can pass Prime.

The CPUs need certain things to be changed to POST after certain frequencies (we have to use specialized hardware in some cases). Seeing as your system isn't stable one way or the other - 5 mins versus instant, I'd focus on getting it stable and not worrying about the differences in how the system reacts to POSTing at various ratios. If you need to BOOT closer to the multiplier you want to use just do that and dial out the instability gradually with voltage or whatever else it needs. Point being, don't focus too much on the difference between these two BOOT up points, focus on getting the system stable. There is nothing about the difference in how TurboV and UEFI does that will help you - you probably just need to use more VCore or lower the CPU ratio so it can pass Prime.

This "certain things" involve pumping potentially 'unsafe' voltage somewhere ?

My goal is not to set any world record about OC, I'm only looking for a mild overclock to 4 Ghz of my CPU (E5-1650v2) and I'd like to keep the voltage at safe long term level.

I was using TurboEVO and quick run (3 min) di prime95 only to find the lowest Vcore that the CPU can run it at various turbo ratio to find out how the CPU react with Frequency scaling up.

So varying the turbo ratio inside Turbo Evo is way different that boot up with the same new Turbo ratio inside the BIOS. This one in IMHO limit the usefullness of Turbo Evo and I can know the reason for it (Competition from other vendor) only I don't expect it.

You can potentially run higher voltage that it's needed testing with only Turbo Evo Vs Testing with BIOS because you're missing other 'manipulation' that BIOS apply and Turbo Evo don't.

Thanks Raja

No, it does not work like that at all - its not high voltage at all. Just BOOT up closer to where you want the system to run. There is nothing you could improve even if we gave you manual control of it, so don't expect this to change.

TurboV Evo is more for Ln2 benchers (shamino's input for this one). When we run LN2 we usually BOOT up over 4.5GHz and then up ratio in OS.

if someone is curious this is the report of my CPU :

Turbo EVO or BIOS make no difference until ratio x40 included, you can mix match ration, same result
I've no tried x41 in depth, at x42 a world of difference:

Quick run of Prime95 Small, Default, Until Test 5 completed (3 min)
E5-1650v2 (VID @3.5 1.1409, LLC Standard ), P9X79-E WS, BIOS 1501
Lowest Vcore completed, All 6 cores Sync:

@3.5 GHz -> 1.020 (0.974 load) VID 1.1409
@3.6 GHz -> 1.060 (1.012) VID 1.1809
@3.7 GHz -> 1.100 (1.048) VID 1.2260
@3.8 GHz -> 1.160 (1.102) VID 1.2710
@3.9 GHz -> 1.215 (1.152) VID 1.3160 (Official Max Turbo Bin)
@4.0 GHz -> 1.285 (1.214) VID 1.3210

Now the surprise :

Setting x42 ratio and 1.265 vCore into the BIOS prime95 test is passed easy !!

'Strangely' OC to 4.2 look way more easy that to 4.0!
I've no tried lover vcore, but @x43 prime95 crash, looking at the projection it's way lower that expected to say at least.

using TurboV EVO and lowering the ratio @3.9Ghz now I can complete the prime95 test at 1.170 Vs (1.215)

The reading of PLL, VTT, VSSCA, memory timing are in line on what I've set into the BIOS, so some magic behind the scene is kick-in.

It's clear now for me how Intel have not a lot of headroom on max clock on stock settings before the vcore jump at high level. The 4.0 Ghz is a tough wall to break at stock settings. Haswell have further fail to make progress, let's me see if the Broadwell 14nm part will finally break the wall if ever they'll reach desktop.

I've jumped from an ancient Q6600 @3.0Ghz, what a jump!

Last edited:
When i receive the same board back from an RMA am I suppose to get a report stating the items they fixed or something of the sort? Because I didn't.

I really think they just took 3 weeks to take it out of my box, unpackaged, spin it in a circle, repackaged it, put it in a new box, and ship it out.

Last edited:
PM me the RMA number and I'll forward it to the CLM guys. Or you can contact [email protected] directly with the RMA number and ask what was found.

-Raja

Last edited:
I just updated my bios from 3501 to 4608. I know it's been a while since I've updated, but the overclock function is either gone or is not obvious. Anybody have any ideas?
My hardware is listed in my sig.

1) Check the CPU info page in UEFI and make sure you still have the ME version showing.

2) How did you perform the flash? USB BIOS Flashback is recommended.

I downloaded the CAP file from the ASUS site onto a USB stick. The file name is P9X79-PRO-ASUS-4608.CAP. I rebooted into the bios and then under Tools there was an option to update.

1) Use USB BIOS Flashback instead of that method for this update.
2) Check your ME version is showing in UEFI.

-Raja

I have rebooted a few times and now there is an option to go into manual mode for the CPU. I do have ME version, but the overclocking section is different. Which settings do I need to work with? Is there a guide for this bios version?

There are guides up on ROG forums. The changes are not that large though, so I'm wondering what it is you are getting stuck on over a previous build.

Set AI Overclock Tuner to manual. If you still can't find it (you should be able to with some elbow grease), save UEFI screenshots of what you are looking at an upload them here.

The 4608 Bios has caused major instability on my system. I reset the cmos as well. Any update on a beta or newer version that fixes thi I'd like to roll back for now. I am finding in addition my boot drive settings change also occasionally. I also noticed for some reason if I unplug the system this allows my over clock to stabalize occasionally. Only startedhappening righr after flashing. Everything was fine before. I did try and lower my oc.

Check the voltages being applied for your overclock - if you're leaving things on auto then there may hve been a change in the rules for Ivy-E.

Hi all.

I have a system based on an ASUS P79 motherboard, in my sig below.

I just posted a question in another forum about adding SATA ports, so to get wider exposure for this question. But I'm hoping that some of the guys here also have good ideas.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1815030

In advance, thanks. :D

Last weekend I updated the BIOS on my Sabertooth X79 (see sig) to 4608. Reset my overclocks, everything works better than before. Today I noticed while working on something else that Windows was only seeing 3 of the 4 memory sticks. CPU-Z reported all 4 present, but only 24GB in use. So I shut it down and run memtest86: only sees 3 sticks. Then I start single testing DIMMs to find the bad one, but they're all working. Put all 4 back in, now it gives me the DIMM_LED light and won't post, even with letting the MEMOK cycle for a few minutes. Finally, testing each slot, I found that slot B1 wasn't recognizing DIMMs. Tried the #2 slots (brown), no joy, but I think that is by design when you're running 4 sticks?

I want to try downgrading my BIOS to something earlier to see if that's the problem, but I get "BIOS outdated" messages whenever I try and it halts.

So, two questions for Raja and the [H]:
1. How can I downgrade my BIOS? (I have 3305, 4404, and 4502 on a USB stick ready to go)
2. Is this an RMA issue? Last thing I want to be is without my home workstation/storage master so I'm willing to try most everything else first.

TIA for your help, guys!

Hi,

That is strange. Try re-seating the CPU. If none of the modules are being seen in B1 (with no other slots populated) then might need to RMA the board.

-Raja

Thanks for the advice. I will reseat the CPU this weekend (it's been in place since early 2012 when I built it) and see what happens from there.

16GB DIMMs are not officially supported by Intel on this platform. We were sent a couple of DIMMs by a memory vendor to test and we managed to work around the micrcode limitations and got them to work BUT I do not know if quad channel with 16GB DIMMs is possible (yet).

The memory vendor came to us after another motherboard vendor who curiously advertise 16GB DIMM support (128GB) failed to get the same DIMMs stable on their boards. Curious situation that seeing as they advertise 128GB support and could not even get a single 16GB DIMM to work in stable manner.

Here's the screenie we have on one of our boards:

IM_DDR3_1600_16_GB_memtest.jpg

Either way do not expect support from all vendors or Intel on this platform. All IMCs may not be stable with this config and those that are may need manual end-user tuning to be so.

Are there any known incompatabilities between the 4770k/Asus Maximus hero in conjunction with an Intel x25-m G2 80gb ssd? I seem to remember reading something about an issue, but can't seem to locate it atm.. tks!

Hi all,
I bought my rig 2months ago and since than I cant solve my RAM/mobo issue.
Rig spec :
I7 4960x
Sabertooth x79
Beast 4x4gb quad ch
intel 780 480gb ssd
Coolermaster nepton 140xl AIC
Devil 13 7990 HD
seasonic 1000w plat
Win7 ultimate sp 1

I've got connected on usb's : steelseries 6gv2 mech keyboard, Logitech g400's

I cant run my memory to work stable . I was trying using xmp profile 1 / profile 2 / manually clock ram in order to make it work on 2.400mhz ( which turned out that I really need cose my job is close connected to cpu/ram/ssd usage ) it works 20% faster than 1600mhz default.

When I select profiles or manually clock I manage to pass aida test/windows index test/ prime/intel XT memory stability test's and so on. Even memtest was good. Problem start to persist after few days of usage I am starting to get OVERCLOCK FAILED PRESS F1 after I pass bios . After few restart's all works cool again , but this thing annoying me a lot , warning happenes every 1/3 of time when I shutdown/turn on pc .

Is there any chance that I've got defected ram in some way or maybe company that sold me rig put bad module , cose I am not getting same part numbers/serials when I run cpu id ?
This is what I am getting :
0x71267A24
0x72268C24
0x76269624
0x72267B24

as you can see 3rd slot is different than all others , sticks are plugged into #1/3/5/7 slot's in mobo.

When all is on default I am not having problems all works good.

Back