ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

Just finished a new build with the Asus X79-Deluxe and an i7-4930K CPU. I have 16GB (4 x 4) of G'skill 1866mhx memory (F3-1866C9Q-16GAB) When I set the motherboard to XMP profile everything seem to be running OK until I went to shut down the system. All it would do is restart and I'd have to hold the power button down to shut it down. Even if I set the speed and timing manually, I get the same results. If I set the motherboard back to "auto" it will shut down just fine. I tested all four sticks of memory with memory test 86 and got several errors with the memory set at 1866mhz, but none at 1600mhz. I then tried to increase the DRAM voltage to 1.55v for the DRAM and it still restarted when I tried to shut it down. With it at 1866mhz, I've also gotten a few BSOD, not many, but enough to be a concern. The memory is not listed on Asus QVL, but G.Skill list the X79-Deluxe as compatible.
Do you think I have some bad memory or maybe even the CPU? Should I just RMA the memory and try another set? Not sure what to do next.

Try tuning VCCSA. If that does not help, we can try relaxing some of the memory sub-timings.

Try tuning VCCSA. If that does not help, we can try relaxing some of the memory sub-timings.

Sorry for being such a noob. I set the VCCSA offset to .06 which didn't seem to help. Then I increased VTTCPU to 1.1 which is as high as you can go for both setting before getting they turn yellow (warning). Still not stable. I wouldn't think with a brand new build I should have to raise the voltages at all to get the memory to run at 1866mhz. Does it sound like I have a weak CPU? Should I just RMA it while it's still under 30 days? Thank for your help.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Rampage IV Extreme, having a weird issue. Both with the original BIOS (4302 I think) and the newest 45XX it keeps telling me either "no keyboard detected" or "CPU fan problem" or both on POST. There is nothing wrong with the fans or keyboard, although I did try different ones just in case. This is stock with no overclock. It takes me 5 to 10 trys to get the machine to POST, sometimes I have to plug and unplug these items while it is running to get it to start up. Any ideas?

Ive got a rampage iv formula and Ive done a few updates (bios current and drivers) and now im getting random reboots. I've been using the optimized defaults before the updates and not getting random reboots, only other thing I did was added 3 storage hdd's from my old system.

Current pic, unplugged my extra drives as Im not sure if its something to do with one of them. Using the optimized defaults in bios, which sets cpu at 3800mhz and ram at 1333, left ram at 1333 instead of 1600mhz and put ram voltage at 1.520 so it stays closer to 1.5v. Suggestions/ideas welcome.
frsr7.png

http://tinypic.com/r/frsr7/5

System specs

rampage formual iv
16gb corsair veng. 4x4gb
psu Corsair AX850

any ideas? if more info is needed, let me know and thx. Btw does Raja have a guide for overclocking Sandy bridge E?

edit* Random reboots have stopped after unplugging the extra hard drives, weird.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Rampage IV Extreme, having a weird issue. Both with the original BIOS (4302 I think) and the newest 45XX it keeps telling me either "no keyboard detected" or "CPU fan problem" or both on POST. There is nothing wrong with the fans or keyboard, although I did try different ones just in case. This is stock with no overclock. It takes me 5 to 10 trys to get the machine to POST, sometimes I have to plug and unplug these items while it is running to get it to start up. Any ideas?

Might be worth posting a full parts list...

-Raja

Sorry for being such a noob. I set the VCCSA offset to .06 which didn't seem to help. Then I increased VTTCPU to 1.1 which is as high as you can go for both setting before getting they turn yellow (warning). Still not stable. I wouldn't think with a brand new build I should have to raise the voltages at all to get the memory to run at 1866mhz. Does it sound like I have a weak CPU? Should I just RMA it while it's still under 30 days? Thank for your help.

Increasing VTT does not have anything to do with memory stability per se.

What you can do is save UEFI screenshots and upload them here. I need to see the DRAM timing pages (all of them) when you set XMP for DDR3-1866 please.

-Raja

Increasing VTT does not have anything to do with memory stability per se.

What you can do is save UEFI screenshots and upload them here. I need to see the DRAM timing pages (all of them) when you set XMP for DDR3-1866 please.

-Raja

This is driving me crazy. I changed my RAM to G.Skill Ripjaws Z (F3-14900CL8Q-16GBZM) 1866mhz 16GB (4 x 4) for my Asus X79-Deluxe. Everything runs fine until I try to shutdown the system, it will restart instead. If I set the memory to "auto" (1600mhz) the system will shutdown just fine. I've replaced every part in the system and still the same problem. Since replacing the RAM, it's gotten better. It will shutdown no problem until I run a stress test (Prime95, etc.) with NO overclock. Then it will just restart when I go to shut it down. Here are screenshots of my RAM timing like you asked for. I hope this will help.
131123112404_zpsdc2b6c55.png

131123112426_zpseb914f68.png

131123112443_zps064994a7.png

131123112509_zps3a57e6ca.png

131123112535_zps46421998.png

131123112549_zps6002ba1b.png

Let me know if there is anything else you'll need.

Last edited:
I've got one for you.

I installed my 3 GTX 780 Ti's today and with sound enabled, onboard or sound card one of the cards won't detect in Windows. The motherboard sees it in the GPU.POST utility but I can't actually use it in Windows. I shuffled the cards around, moved slots a bit etc. I couldn't make it work. If I toggle one of the PCIe switches to disable the sound card and or disable the onboard audio it works fine.

I'm running the latest BIOS off the website and the latest NVIDIA drivers. (Card doesn't even detect at all so Windows can't load a driver for the third card.) System worked fine with the older GTX 780 SC's.

Skibum

tFAW (four activate window) to 30

All third timings set to 6 apart from tCCD and tCCDWR which you can leave at default.

Restarting is odd - could be IRST, but the fact it does not do it at DDR3-1600 means we have to eliminate memory from the mix by slackining off timings.

Try VCCSA at 1.15V as well.

I've got one for you.

I installed my 3 GTX 780 Ti's today and with sound enabled, onboard or sound card one of the cards won't detect in Windows. The motherboard sees it in the GPU.POST utility but I can't actually use it in Windows. I shuffled the cards around, moved slots a bit etc. I couldn't make it work. If I toggle one of the PCIe switches to disable the sound card and or disable the onboard audio it works fine.

I'm running the latest BIOS off the website and the latest NVIDIA drivers. (Card doesn't even detect at all so Windows can't load a driver for the third card.) System worked fine with the older GTX 780 SC's.

Is that on the R4E Dan (checking sig appears so)? With the Phoebus? I'll pass to HQ for replication. I assume Win 8/8.1?

-Raja

Last edited:
Is that on the R4E Dan (checking sig appears so)? With the Phoebus? I'll pass to HQ for replication. I assume Win 8/8.1?

-Raja

You assume wrong. :eek: I haven't updated to Windows 8/8.1. 8 was a no go for me without a start button. I will most likely update to Windows 8.1 soon, but haven't yet. But yes, it's on the Rampage IV Extreme using the configuration in my signature. I've applied the latest BIOS updates as well.

Skibum

All third timings set to 6 apart from tCCD and tCCDWR which you can leave at default.

Restarting is odd - could be IRST, but the fact it does not do it at DDR3-1600 means we have to eliminate memory from the mix by slackining off timings.

We're getting somewhere!
Both slacking off the timing or setting VCCSA to 1.15 takes care of the restarting problem.
I tried them both together, at first and that worked.
Then I tried just slacking the timing, without setting the VCCSA voltage and that worked.
Then I tried just setting the VCCSA volts to 1.15 without touching the timing and that worked also. I tried the VCCSA volts @ 1.10 and the restarting problem came back.
How do you recommend I set this machine? Just set the VCCSA voltage to 1.15? I noticed by default it's set to "offset mode". Can I set it to "offset" and raise it slightly or should I just leave it on manual? What settings would I need for offset?
btw: Thanks again for your help. I'm feeling much better about this new build.

You assume wrong. :eek: I haven't updated to Windows 8/8.1. 8 was a no go for me without a start button. I will most likely update to Windows 8.1 soon, but haven't yet. But yes, it's on the Rampage IV Extreme using the configuration in my signature. I've applied the latest BIOS updates as well.

Okay. Hq are working on a replication of this (if we can get 3 of the cards...lol) - might be a few days tho.

-Raja

Last edited:
We're getting somewhere!
Both slacking off the timing or setting VCCSA to 1.15 takes care of the restarting problem.
I tried them both together, at first and that worked.
Then I tried just slacking the timing, without setting the VCCSA voltage and that worked.
Then I tried just setting the VCCSA volts to 1.15 without touching the timing and that worked also. I tried the VCCSA volts @ 1.10 and the restarting problem came back.
How do you recommend I set this machine? Just set the VCCSA voltage to 1.15? I noticed by default it's set to "offset mode". Can I set it to "offset" and raise it slightly or should I just leave it on manual? What settings would I need for offset?
btw: Thanks again for your help. I'm feeling much better about this new build.

Each CPU is different on the Offset as there is a PCU that requests the voltage - you would need to adjust and see if you can work out what the voltage is under load if you want to use offset. I'd just use a static voltage for simplicity sake.

At a small performance cost (not noticeable in everyday apps) you can try just running it with the slacker timings if you wish.

Memory controllers on CPUs are variable, some are better than others at handling certain memory ICs at DDR3-1866 and beyond.

-Raja

Okay. Hq are working on a replication of this (if we can get 3 of the cards...lol) - might be a few days tho.

-Raja

One thing I noticed trying to find out if anyone else has this problem: There are people running this motherboard with three of the same cards I have. Interestingly enough, the main system change vs. my setup was the CPU. They had a 4960X instead of a 3930K. This looks like an OROM issue to me, but I'm wondering if there is something different in the PCIe controllers which is causing this issue. Also, if I physically do not disable the card via the PCIe switch (any one of them) I get BSOD errors which say something about memory.

Unfortunately I do not have a Ivy Bridge-E CPU floating around to test this theory.

Each CPU is different on the Offset as there is a PCU that requests the voltage - you would need to adjust and see if you can work out what the voltage is under load if you want to use offset. I'd just use a static voltage for simplicity sake.

At a small performance cost (not noticeable in everyday apps) you can try just running it with the slacker timings if you wish.

Memory controllers on CPUs are variable, some are better than others at handling certain memory ICs at DDR3-1866 and beyond.

-Raja

I fooled around with the VCCSA "offset" voltage and got my system stable @ +.010 volts.
Restarting problem came back at +.005 volts.

Thanks a million for you help.

Hey, question before I drop some money on an upgrade to my existing ASUS rig!

If I buy an existing X79 motherboard WITHOUT an Ivy Bridge - E Bios, Will my system function enough to flash the bios or will I need to have a SB-E CPU to do it with?

Thanks guys.

You can us USB BIOS flashback to update to an Ivy-E supporting build - no CPU required for that. You can check the UEFI version your board ships with by looking at the last 4 digits of the serial number...

Skibum

I was wrong. After running the system for a day the problem returned. It seems to happen after the system "warms up". I tried using ALL the settings above and still same problem. I then tried slacking the primary timing to 9-10-9-27-2 but that didn't work either. With the memory set to XMP everything seems fine. It passes all test, doesn't crash, only problem is when I go to shutdown the system, it just restarts. Could it be a software problem?
I'm frustrated.

Do you have the IRST drivers installed? If so, that could be the issue according to what I've seen users reporting with the latest IRST builds.

Do you have the IRST drivers installed? If so, that could be the issue according to what I've seen users reporting with the latest IRST builds.

Yes I do. I'm using the latest ones from the Asus download page...Version 12.8.0.1016
Also, when I was using the ones before these also had this problem. Are you saying I should just remove them and use Microsoft drivers? I have a RAID0 setup. Will this be effected?

The only error I have in the Event Viewer is Event ID 3299 Apache Service.

Last edited:
Hi, a week since my Deluxe X79 new build, ran into a lot of issues with Windows 8.1, AutoDesk Maya constantly crashing with BSOD, reverted back to Windows 7 64 eliminated the BSOD and much better overall stability. Had some unknown devices under USB and WIFI, installed latest drivers & BIOS with no luck fixing them, reset BIOS to defaults, no luck, then I switched the TPU switch to 2nd position and no more unknown devices in device manager, not sure why but also not complaining.

I'm not daring touching the advanced BIOS mode and ran the 4 way optimizer, gained a minimal score increase with Cinebench R15, just above i7 3930k's score of 1096, i got 1099 with CPU still showing 3.2GHz. I then ran the optimizer again, this time in BCLK mode and DIGI+ power to off in advance settings. Now the Cinebench score shot up to 1199 and CPU showing 4.3GHz. I'm sure it can reach 4.5GHz or even 4.7GHz with extreme cooling and overclocking knowledge, but I'm happy and sticking to the results gained with auto tuning.

I've set all fans to constantly run over 1000 RPM and have an average of 39 to 45 degree Celsius MB and CPU temperature, not sure if this is a good temperature running at 4.3GHz?
I'm so sad I went for such expensive and high freq DRAM as it was bought with minimal hardware knowledge, I understand 1333 would have give similar performance? I could start working last night again, and happy with the new performance gain and stable system.

Last edited:
All that sounds about right, I've had my own Windows 8.1 issues. However those CPU temperatures are idle temperatures. Load temps are another matter.

The moment I hit render on Maya, or do the CPU test with Cinebench, the Asus interface does not update the temperature, only afterwards, as is spike to about 55 - 57 deg Celsius and quickly drop back in the low 40's. Wish I could see it measure realtime.

Last edited:
The moment I hit render on Maya, or do the CPU test with Cinebench, the Asus interface does not update the temperature, only afterwards, as is spike to about 55 - 57 deg Celsius and quickly drop back in the low 40's. Wish I could see it measure realtime.

Get RealTemp or Coretemp.

Just when I thought my new build is stable on 4.35GHz with the 4-Way Optimization using "BCLK" setting and all fans running full speed, I start getting a lot of BSOD again under load when I render in Maya. I had to revert to the "Ratio" auto tune, giving me not much higher score in Cinebench or faster render in Maya than with factory defaults (although the AI Suite III GUI says 32% increase). I guess you need to be an expert to get a stable overclock, and what Asus advertise on "Overclock with confidence - Over 4.8GHz performance" is most likely aimed at the professional overclocker and not via auto tuning.

I'm stable again on 3.4GHz using "Ratio" auto tune via AI Suite III.
This is now also back in Device Manager with yellow triangle + exclamation: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, can't resolve with any driver update.

If anyone knows the Corsair Graphite 600T case and CM Eisberg Prestige 240L please advise, due to space constraint inside the case, I had to fit the CM Eisberg's two fans in the top section (that can be accessed by removing the top grid) and the radiator just below from in the inside, with the fans sucking air outwards and not the recommended blowing through the radiator to the outside (due to case's motherboard position design, this isn't possible).

Will it be a better airflow solution to turn the top two Cooler Master fans around so it will blow cool air from above through the radiator to the inside and rely on the back fan to extract all the hot air out to the back perhaps?

Last edited:
I would revert the system to stock and get it stable there before overclocking. DDR3-2400 can be tricky for some CPUs - it's not always a plug-and-play speed.

You can us USB BIOS flashback to update to an Ivy-E supporting build - no CPU required for that. You can check the UEFI version your board ships with by looking at the last 4 digits of the serial number...

Fantastic news. Will be my fourth ASUS board then ;) Just not sure which yet.

I've only strayed twice since the P3B-F... Heh.

What do you guys think of the Asus X79-DELUXE vs the Asus SABERTOOTH X79? I already regret buying the 4770k and I am going to return it to get a X79 so I can Tri Fire since I went ahead and got a 3rd 290 anyways. In terms of looks the X79 Deluxe is better to me, but they are so close in price at Microcenter I cant choose between the two. The only other choice at MC is the EVGA X79 Dark.

Back