ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

Hey Raja@ASUS (Sorry Sweetleader, typing while distratcted),
I have an X79 Sabertooth that was running an Nvidia 460, uninstalled all drivers and software and installed my new~ish AMD 7970 from another system. The board beeped VGA failure, and some quick investigation showed the bios was old (ROM) and probably the problem. I ran the ROM to CAP on a 4Gb HP stick (seemed to work) and then updated to the newest bios (4005). MB now shows no post, no beep code, and quietly reboots after about 15 seconds, but the CPU led is lit. It ran fine forever before this, and I have not removed the CPU. I have to admit, this is the fastest BIOS update I have ever seen, but can it be rolled back, or am I looking at a new bios chip?

IF the UEFI build was very old, updating to the latest build would have required some microcontroller updates. After flashing, the board may reBOOT once or twice and appear to sit idle for a while. If this is interupted for whatever reason there is the possibility that things are now corrupt. If using USB BIOS flashback again does not bring the board back you will need to contact ASUS RMA/serrvice and see if they can either swap the BIOS chip for you or advanced RMA another board for you.

-Raja

Bummer, I was afraid of that. I have many Asus MB's but I am second owner of this one (came with a heck of a [H]folding deal). I'll try again to get a response about another bios chip.

Also for the P9X79 Deluxe. ASUS use different bios versions for the Rampage I think. Sabertooth has a revision 4005. Will use it after new graphics card arrives. Hope it is for supporting whatever new processors Intel sees fit to release in the next few months.

I'm running 4005 just fine here as well... Updated last night with no issues whatsoever :D

I am setting up a new system and the Tools/RAM info page shows "abnormal" for DIMM Slot C1. I switched RAM sticks between slots and still got the same error message. Do I need to RMA this board?

I'm using an ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard, Intel 3930 CPU and 4 x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9. This RAM is rated at 1600 and I was running the system at 1333 in my initial setup.

Thanks,

x509

Check the socket for any bent pins, remount cooler and try again. Try with a single memory module in that slot and see if the board POSTs. Update to latest UEFI also.

Check the socket for any bent pins, remount cooler and try again. Try with a single memory module in that slot and see if the board POSTs. Update to latest UEFI also.

Raja,

To get back to you on this, I checked the socket, no bent pins, so I reinstalled the CPU, remounted the cooler, and said a prayer. All good. System posts now just fine. :D

I didn't need to update the BIOS to get the system to post, but i will do that soon enough.

Cool. Could have been a slightly misaligned pin.

Raja,

If a pin was misligned, it was only by a fraction of a millimeter. I visually inspected the socket before putting in the CPU, and all pins looked aligned to the naked eye. Of course, I am not a trained technician here.

Anyway, as they say, all's well that ends well, so I'm a happy camper. :)

That's okay. Sometimes they can shift under pressure - so it's not something you would have seen per se.

Glad it's working anyways. :)

Hi Raja,

If I get a couple of Titans in SLI will the RIVF with BIOS 1404 support PCIe 3.0?

EDIT: ASUS Titans offc ourse ;)

Can't say for sure, depends on the CPU being able to do Gen 3.0 with the cards. X79 does not officially support Gen 3.0 so it's a case by case situation.

Can say that I have joined the asus x79 team :p

Made the switch from an asrock extreme 4m to a rampage gene iv and just updated to 4004 running great so far :)

Hibernation has not worked right since I upgraded my main system to a P9X79 Pro board from an ASUS P7H55M board. The upgrade took my system from 4 GB to 32 GB (!) of RAM, if that matters. I also upgraded from an i3-540 Clarkdale to an i7 3930K Sandy Bridge Extreme CPU. I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction for a solution.

My OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit, fully patched up. When I did the upgrade, I simply reconnected the OS drive and installed drivers from the motherboard's driver CD. Everything seems fine except for hibernation.

• Sometimes when I click on hibernation, the system seems to hibernate, but then it wakes up immediately.
  • Other times, it seems to wake up later.
  • Sometimes, when I try to wake up the system, I get the ASUS boot up screen, but then my display goes dark, even though the drive activity light flashes for a long time and the system never actually resumes. In this situation, I have to reboot the system. When Windows starts to boot up, I select the option to continue the "resume from hibernation" operation and then the system does resume properly.

More than likely you will have to reload your os, all the left overs from you old system are probably causing you issues.
My RIVE sleeps like a baby...who sleeps all night. lol

rody

My X79 ST never stayed asleep. It always will wake back up right after putting it to sleep.

My X79 ST never stayed asleep. It always will wake back up right after putting it to sleep.

Open a command prompt after it wakes and type this in:

powercfg -lastwake

That will tell you what caused the wake event. Probably something not configured properly.

Last edited:
Open a command prompt after it wakes and type this in:

powercfg -lastwake

That will tell you what caused the wake event. Probably something not configured properly.

So I did this. The last time I did a hibernate, it actually worked :p so all I got was this output:

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

I have no idea what this all means.

I also did powercfg /help | more so I could see the entire command and all its options. I am sure there is a needle somewhere in that haystack, but I would need to learn a lot more about powerstates and such.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here. Again, when I was running on an H55 chipset and an i3 Clarkdale CPU, I had no issues. Now I'm running on an X79 chipset with an i7 Sandy Bridge E, and I'm having these issues.

I forgot to mention that right now I'm running this system at stock settings. I don't wantto overclock until I get this issue resolved.

Check Power Options in Control Panel - see if any of the settings are configured to wake for media etc.

I assume it is a fresh install of the OS as well and not carried over from your previous build.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was asked before, so sorry if this has been answered...

I just got a new X79 build done, and it takes around 15 seconds after I press the power button/cold boot to hear the built-in speaker beep and actually see the motherboard boot up screen with the bios version etc. After that everything seems pretty quick, about as fast as I should expect from using SSD for boot drive I guess.

Here are the specs:

i7-3970x (slightly oc'd to ~3.6Ghz)
Sabertooth x79
16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 (slightly oc'd to 1634 Mhz)
Plextor M3P SSD for boot drive
Zotac GTX 770
Corsair HX750 PSU

So why does it take so long to hear the beep? Is this normal? What can I do to make that part of the boot faster?

First post here so hi everyone!
I have searched for information about updating the Asus Suite II for my Sabertooth X79 motherboard but this has turned out to be not so easy so I thought I would ask here.

I have the version that came with the CD and have never updated it.
The UEFI version of my motherboard is 0906.

I have noticed that the VRM temperature (VCORE) in the Asus Thermal Radar in AI Suite II software is getting really high when stresstesting (80C) using OCCT CPU large data set so I thought it would be good to update the Thermal Radar and AI Suite II to the latest version to compare the temperature with a newer version just in case those sensors recording the VRM temps have been updated.

CPU speed at that temperature is 4600Mhz @ Vcore of 1.38-1.39V.
Then there is problem after AIDA64 has been running on my system. The computer hangs during the shutting down sequence every time I have been using AIDA64.
Note that AIDA64 can be closed without issues, it is when the computer is shut down it hangs. This does not happen unless AIDA64 has been running.

So there is the background to why I want to update Asus AI Suite II.
I am aware of that I need to use the cleaner after uninstalling AI Suite II.

Now to my questions.
1. Would the newest version of AI Suite II work with my UEFI 0906?
2. For my motherboard there is a newer version of Thermal Radar available than the one included in the newest version of AI Suite II. How do I install that one after I have upgraded to the latest AI Suite II?
3. If I just i want to install the newest version of Thermal Radar, can I do it without uninstalling AI Suite II on my system as of now and how do I install it?

Kind regards,
Hans

Not sure if this was asked before, so sorry if this has been answered...

I just got a new X79 build done, and it takes around 15 seconds after I press the power button/cold boot to hear the built-in speaker beep and actually see the motherboard boot up screen with the bios version etc. After that everything seems pretty quick, about as fast as I should expect from using SSD for boot drive I guess.

Here are the specs:

i7-3970x (slightly oc'd to ~3.6Ghz)
Sabertooth x79
16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 (slightly oc'd to 1634 Mhz)
Plextor M3P SSD for boot drive
Zotac GTX 770
Corsair HX750 PSU

So why does it take so long to hear the beep? Is this normal? What can I do to make that part of the boot faster?

Motherboard POST checks for memory/PCIe training. It is normal. Running without the OC and disabling any unused controllers may help speed up POST time a bit.

-Raja

Now to my questions.
1. Would the newest version of AI Suite II work with my UEFI 0906?
2. For my motherboard there is a newer version of Thermal Radar available than the one included in the newest version of AI Suite II. How do I install that one after I have upgraded to the latest AI Suite II?
3. If I just i want to install the newest version of Thermal Radar, can I do it without uninstalling AI Suite II on my system as of now and how do I install it?

Kind regards,
Hans

1. Never tried it. Would recommend updating to latest UEFI..
2. You should be able to download the module and install it.

Just follow 1 & 2 above. Update to latest UEFI and then install latest AI Suite and Thermal Radar module.

Last edited:
Raja, a request for help; I have the Asus P9X79 WS mother board with the latest 4202 bios, I just installed an EVGA GTX 780 Classified. I went into the bios, and disabled CSM so I could fully use SecureBoot. Now, the screen remains blanked upon start up, *until* I get the Windows login screen. So I can not do anything in the bios. Apparently it can enter the bios, as if I press 'del' during boot up, it just sits at a blank screen until I ctrl-alt-del, but if I do not hit 'del' it will boot Windows and function properly. The GTX 780 is running the latest bios, 80.10.3A.00.82 (P2083-0020).

Nevermind, figured it out. Turns out disabling CSM causes the system to send the POST/BIOS screen to my secondary monitor connected via HDMI, which I usually leave off unless I'm watching a movie. Nothing I can't handle then. I'm kinda curious why the DVI link is not the default in these types of setups, but I'll live..

Last edited:
Does anyone here have the Sabertooth X79 and running TRI SLI???
I know the board says it supports SLI and Quad SLI, but due to the PCIe layout, I want to see if anyone is running TRI SLI..

This past weekend I assembled a new computer based on the Asus Z87 Motherboard including the following:

Antec 1100 chassis
Corsair 750W P/S
i7 4770K CPU
Kingston KHX1600C9D3/8GX 32GB memory kit (XMP profile 1)
Asus Z87 Pro m/b updated to 1205 BIOS
HIS HD 7850 Video card
Scandisk SDSSHP256G SSD boot drive
WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 2TB hard disk drive

OS Windows 7 Pro 64bit

No issues when running normally but I've had 9 BSOS since Sunday with two in the past hour.
CPU temperatures run from 36C to 65C. I ran prime95 yesterday with CPU temp's running just at 100c without issues.

Below is a sample of the crash dump analysis from whocrashed

On Wed 8/21/2013 10:35:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082113-9703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8019FAE028, 0xFF800000, 0x124)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider configuring your system to produce a full memory dump for better analysis.

===========================

bugcheck code is always 0x124

I was in the middle of downloading a 2GB file today both times I experienced a BSOD, I downloaded a 1GB Linux distro earlier this morning and a 4.7GB Linux distro earlier this week without issue.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to what might be causing this issue?

Thanks

Steve

P.S. No overclocking, normal clock speed. AI3 set to enhance performance.

Hi Steve,

This is the X79 Motherboard thread, this should have been posted in the Z87 support thread.

WHEA BSODs are usually memory stability related - VCC IOD (digital voltage) may need adjusting and some of the memory timings.

-Raja

also. fwiw the Kingston number callout you mentioned "8GX" is a 2 X 4GB kit that you cant make 32GB out of. In any case it would appear you are using multiple kits to attain 32 GB which only works with ceratin brands and Kingston is not one of them/

However, there are pretested 32GB KITS from Kingston avail. Note the numbers are nothing like the one you posted.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0147 600083963&IsNodeId=1&name=32GB (4 x 8GB)

If you wish to stack separate kits, the only way I have found to do so reliably is by using Crucial ballistix sport, probably due to the fact they only use their own drams (Micron) of same density ea time

Hi Raja,

I apologize I wasn't paying attention yesterday when I made the post. Can my thread be moved to the appropriate thread?

I'll check the memory timings. Do you think I should disable the XMP setting?

@cisco guy: The exact memory kit I purchased is the Kingston HyperX Genesis 32GB kit of 4 (4x8GB) 1600MHz PC3-1288 DDR3 CL9 XMP desktop Memory KHX16C9K4/32X sold as a kit of four memory sticks and advertised on Kingston's website and amazon.com as a 32GB kit. I took the original p/n from the AI3 suite. So I in fact didn't combine memory kits ;-) Does this change things? Thanks both Raja and cisco guy for your suggestions and once again sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

Yeah, thats different
You could try manually upping the mem voltage a bit, at least just for testing
The fact it happened when downloading (juice going to storage devices) may indicate power issue - your PSU has 8 pin aux 12V - correct?
And you should try various single and dual sticks by themselves.
But like I said, when I run into a 32GB RAM issue, I would just switch over to the same spec ballistix sport as my first action.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148666

Hi cisco guy,

The P/S does have both 12 and 8 pin connectors and both are plugged into the m/b. All voltages are within spec under load, which is when I run prime95.

I'll try upping the voltage first by a small amount.
Thanks for the link but I'll have to put off any additional purchases for now :)
I've had a variety of app's running all day without further incidents.

Thanks
Steve

Back