ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

IMEI vers. 8.1.10.1275, download on Asus web site.
Bios version 3010 or 3404
When i first intall windows 7, in device manager , I have a yellow triangle with something like pci communication xxx. So I do a little research a find that is the Intel Management Engine so I install it.

Last edited:
Hi, just make a fresh intall of windows 7 64bits, eveything was ok until I install the Intel management Engine (because of the yellow mark in device manager). Now my system boot is very slow, 45 sec stock in windows logo. (normal)

Do I really need this driver and can i uninstall it?

Thanks!

Try uninstalling it and downloading this one through Intel's website.

Raja, I have a small problem with fan control and thermal radar...

I recently installed windows 8 and it went fine except for this minor issue. When I installed thermal radar the fans spined down to 40% as I wanted. However if I reboot the computer or start it up cold after I log in the fans will spin up to 60% and stay there until I press apply on the chassis fan 1 screen.

The red circle is where the fan is after login the red "x" is where it should be (see pic at bottom of post). If I hit apply it will go to the set level no problem. The odd thing is only chassis 1 fan does this. none of the other fans ramp up like that.

Also note that I installed the latest BIOS last night as well.

thermal%20radar.png

Hey pwruser,

HQ tells me, can you please update AI SUite via EZ update, this should fix the problem. Or you can wait for the updated version to be posted on the download page.

-Raja

Seems like Asus has pulled the 3408 Firmware for the X79 Sabertooth from their download site.

Anyone know why? (I have the 3408 on my Sabertooth)

Its been pulled for all the others too, Pro, Deluxe etc, so it must be something important. Maybe Raja knows?
IIRC, 3408 was supposed to fix issues with certain SSD not being detected reliably

If anyone has issues, I always tell them to go back to 2104
Of course they just hate the idea of running other than the latest UEFI - it just doesnt sit right - heh

I would like to hear from Raja as well....I flashed 3504 to my Rampage IV Formula and now its been pulled and nobody has commented if it's destructive to keep it on.....

It's been fantastic so far.

Is there any news on an updated version of Sabertooth x79 Thermal Radar? Just Google "AsusFanControlService hang" or something to see lots of threads on this. The latest Thermal Radar hasn't been updated in a while (v2.0) and I've never gotten that feature to work properly because of the service hang issue.

It's pretty low priority for me but it would be nice to use this software as it provides a nice way to see everything.

Is there any news on an updated version of Sabertooth x79 Thermal Radar? Just Google "AsusFanControlService hang" or something to see lots of threads on this. The latest Thermal Radar hasn't been updated in a while (v2.0) and I've never gotten that feature to work properly because of the service hang issue.

It's pretty low priority for me but it would be nice to use this software as it provides a nice way to see everything.

Should have been patched. Uninstall AI suite the regular way, and then run this cleaner:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28319-AI-Suite-II-uninstall-cleaner&country=&status=

Then install the latest build (whatever it is). If you still get an issue let me know please.

I was not aware of this cleaner. It seemed promising so I uninstalled, rebooted, ran the cleaner, rebooted a second time. At that point I verified no ASUS AI-SUITE services were installed/running. The "ASUS" directory was deleted and no ASUS services were shown in the services.msc control panel. I then installed the latest version of AI-SUITE, 2.00.01 via http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/#support_Download_30. OS is Windows 7 x64, system is in signature (Sabertooth x79 / 3930k).

After it installed, I rebooted a third time. The desktop took longer than normal to respond normally, which is a symptom of the service hang issue mentioned in my previous post. I loaded services.msc, and saw this:

asus_hang.png

You can see the service is hung. I have waited 10 minutes since booting and the service is still listed as "starting" (I did refresh the list manually, the status is indeed unchanged). If I terminate the service via task manager, and then start it manually, the effect is the same. Here's a screenshot of me trying to start it manually:
asus_hang2.png

asus_hang3.png

The manual approach takes a long time and eventually finishes with an error message, at which point the service is again listed as "Starting" in the list. It appears to me that this service still doesn't work right. Do you have any additional suggestions? As I have to get some work done I likely won't follow-up until tomorrow at the earliest. Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Reported to HQ. Awaiting response. It's 8.30PM there now so might not be a response til tomorrow.

Thank you for your assistance, I appreciate it. If they come up with a solution/workaround I'd be happy to try it.

Im using an P9X79 DELUXE ASUS MOBO 3930k
BIOS 3009 or 3203
RAID 3.5xxxx Enterprise? (think that was latest at the time)
SSD Vertex 3 120GB
OS Windows 7 x64 Pro

Question: The RAID Drivers Released on March 5, 2013 Fix any of the issues with RAID using SSD when attempting a fresh install of windows 7 x64(from cd/dvd)? There was some enterprise RAID duct tape workarounds using a usb with an iso unplugging drives than replugging them in etc. Honestly I got so fed up I just have had my SSD sitting for 6 months. I cant remember exactly but it was a RAID 0/1 port issue and windows doesnt recognize(due to no intel standard when board came out or some nonsense). I believe there was some type of custom ISO workaround at the time as well.

Every driver update Ive done breaks something else so I just stopped updating till things get stable. If the latest drivers do not solve my ssd boot drive issue is there any more manual workarounds that wont cause issues with harddrive/raid issues down the road?

Last edited:
Thank you for your assistance, I appreciate it. If they come up with a solution/workaround I'd be happy to try it.

Reported to HQ, if they can replicate, they should be able to patch. Could be a while, though.

-Raja

Im using an P9X79 DELUXE ASUS MOBO 3930k
BIOS 3009 or 3203
RAID 3.5xxxx Enterprise? (think that was latest at the time)
SSD Vertex 3 120GB
OS Windows 7 x64 Pro

Question: The RAID Drivers Released on March 5, 2013 Fix any of the issues with RAID using SSD when attempting a fresh install of windows 7 x64(from cd/dvd)? There was some enterprise RAID duct tape workarounds using a usb with an iso unplugging drives than replugging them in etc. Honestly I got so fed up I just have had my SSD sitting for 6 months. I cant remember exactly but it was a RAID 0/1 port issue and windows doesnt recognize(due to no intel standard when board came out or some nonsense). I believe there was some type of custom ISO workaround at the time as well.

Every driver update Ive done breaks something else so I just stopped updating till things get stable. If the latest drivers do not solve my ssd boot drive issue is there any more manual workarounds that wont cause issues with harddrive/raid issues down the road?

I don't run RAID myself on any rigs anymore (gave up that chase a few years ago), but just ran your post by someone at HQ who deals with this stuff more than I do. You might not like the workaround, but here goes:

1) Get those SSDs onto a different system, boot into OS, under DiskManager, remove all partitions on them, and then recreate MBR partition on them, make them BOOTable, and move them back to his system to build RAID on them again.

2) For your system, it is recommended to use the UEFI installation via the IRST UEFI driver since that is supported in the latest BIOS. You will also need to use IRST 11.6 or above to make that work. You can leave IRSTe alone, as IRST takes over after that.Plus the newer driver gives you RAID TRIM support

You can run this page through translation for instructions as well:

http://www.asus.com/tw/forum/list.aspx?aid=258

-Raja

Last edited:
Bios 3501 out today, 3408 re-released (!) yesterday

Edit:
First feedback on 3501 is very good

Edit 2:
ROG boards today show 3602 avail

Last edited:

Have a patched build. Will PM you a download URL for you to try it later. Same drill; uninstall previous AI suite, run cleaner, then install the new build.

-Raja

Seems like Asus has pulled the 3408 Firmware for the X79 Sabertooth from their download site.

Anyone know why? (I have the 3408 on my Sabertooth)

I noticed the same thing for my p9x79. I just re-flashed the latest BIOS currently on the asus website to be safe.

2) For your system, it is recommended to use the UEFI installation via the IRST UEFI driver since that is supported in the latest BIOS. You will also need to use IRST 11.6 or above to make that work. You can leave IRSTe alone, as IRST takes over after that.Plus the newer driver gives you RAID TRIM support

!!!

Hazzah? X79 now has raid trim support? RST-E V3.6.0.1093?

Having some problems with my Sabertooth. I just received it back from being RMAd (failed to boot) and now two of the DIMM slots don't work (the last two slots on the board). I though I would try and update the bios and see if that had any effect. I ran the ROM to CAP conversion as is said to do on the website and now my computer won't post. I tried flashing the latest BIOS via the USB port but it fails every time. I also tried flashing a pre CAP bios and it also fails. By fail I mean the blue light blinks for 5 seconds then steadies

Any guidance on what to do next? I'm trying to avoid an RMA as I'm currently in South Korea and it's nearly a month long process to go through.

RMA might be your only recourse if it won't POST. DIMM slots not working, check the CPU socket for any bent pins as well.

@Sweetleader

The .rom to .cap conversion is to be done only once and its not reversible
Also for cap conversion, you should only use the designated USB flashing port. Using this proceedure with a later bios may fix things, since it will flash with PC off using +5VSB, even with no post - IF it does flash!. Use USB 2.0 stick formatted FAT32 8GB partition or less.
OBmB2MC.jpg

Download and rename ASUS current 3501 bios to SABERX79.CAP (NOT .rom) - load to USB stick root.
And after flashback completes, you must shut down PC and do an unplugged PSU CMOS reset. Do not try to boot into Windows until this is done.
lHhs8gI.jpg

Note that the following from manual is from BEFORE .CAP files came along
KlVIB27.jpg

Actually buying a new bios chip may be easiest way to get going
since you are in Korea
http://stores.ebay.com/SysElectronics/_i.html?_nkw=sabertooth&submit=Search&_sid=995003230

I also assume GSkill is one single 2X8GB kit?
FIy0EI7.jpg

DDR3 2400 ram is always a bit iffy - depends on CPU
Since RAM is dirt cheap now, I would buy and try a single 16GB Kit of GSkill DDR3 1600 CL9 1.5V and go into bios and make sure XMP profile is set.

Last edited:
!!!

Hazzah? X79 now has raid trim support? RST-E V3.6.0.1093?

yes, raid trim, using the uefi/gpt volume method, when using the intel ports and rst (not 'E') F6 driver at install, and then installing the intel rapid storage app (again, not the 'E' version). i am using the 12.0 intel rst F6 driver at install to the array, and the 12.0 rst app to activate write back cache. the 12.5 rst drivers are not allowing trim passthrough with an array, atm, so the 12.0 should do you nicely ;)

alternately, you could try one of the 'patched' bios, using a modded orom, but you are then again in orom country (the uefi install method uses a bios driver, no orom loading, and allows for secure boot).

I had to RMA my Asus Rampage IV Formula, it suddenly stopped posting and the VCCSA light, CPU VCORE light, and one other just stayed lit and it would power cycle over and over. Never overclocked, all I did was change the RAM to Dominator Platinums, but the system ran for days without a hitch.

Thanks Cisco_Guy and Raja. I did indeed try flashing the 3501 BIOS per those instructions but it will flash for 5 seconds then the light steadies like it isn't reading. This is using a 4GB drive formatted to FAT32. A replacement BIOS chip is interesting idea. It worries me that it would completely void the warranty at that point.

On the RAM it is 4x4GB sticks. I tried some Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9 1.35v sticks as well and no luck. I did not see any bent pins but they are very small.

Yeah, no loss of warranty if you replace a BIOS chip. The BIOS chip is on a socket so easy to replace. Just be careful to insert the new chip the right way round (line up the notch side of the chip with the socket notch).

-Raja

Very nice. Went ahead and ordered a new chip from Ebay. Thanks for the help and I'll report back how it goes sometime next week.

Raja - I've never had to RMA an Asus product in like 15+ years, so mine is now in Indiana. Will they actually do a repair or just replace it with a "refurbished" product?

Very nice. Went ahead and ordered a new chip from Ebay. Thanks for the help and I'll report back how it goes sometime next week.

Forgot to mention you have to do a PSU unplugged CMOS reset.
The way I do it is I change chips, boot to bios for a few seconds, shut down, unplug PSU, do a cmos reset, replug PSU,reboot to bios, reset config

Hay raja quick question im running rive board bios 3606 and the intel me version Is 8.1.10.1286 do I really need to update to the 8.1.30.1350???? I have the 3960x 2133 mem and all is well but is it really needed can't get a straight answer thanks ftimsters

The only reason there is any official ME update is for Win 8 AFAIK. Any other ME updates are just users doing it themselves - not sure on fix lists (if it's not on the ASUS download page). ASUS don't add ME updates unless absolutely necessary - can brick the BIOS, so it's not something HQ want to do with each and every revision Intel puts out.

Last edited:
So here is a new one. I downloaded the new asmedia driver update from asus off the p9x79-ws page and about 5 minutes after loading all 3 of the usb3.0 sockets (2 rear 1 front) die and show errors in device manager. Says the driver cannot be found (39).

Can't fix by uninstalling and going to the old version, does the same thing now (but has worked for a month plus without this issue). Did a reformat/reinstall clean (from a secure erased ssd) and loaded everything and it was good to go with the new driver - until win7 connected to windows update and then it blew up again. I literally had the Ethernet cables unplugged and within 3 minutes of windows update running to patch up the clean install the usb3.0 stopped working right after the "windows is searching for new drivers" and "new drivers were installed messages".

After running the asmedia install it does it again, windows update does something to overwrite the drivers and poof...dead usb3.0.

Any advice?

Which OS? Which UEFI version?

Check if there is any ASMedia frimware updates to go with those drivers. I am assuming you donloaded the correct driver also.

Well unless Asus decided to put the wrong driver on the p9x79-ws download page for win7 x64 then yes, the correct driver was installed. (download named USB3_11430)

UEFI 3401 dated 1/3/13

found the new firmware at station-drivers.

So I loaded the firmware (which detected and installed on both hubs) and then installed the drivers from station-drivers dated 11/8/12 and the same thing happened - it works for a second, then dies with errors on the usb hubs but not on the xhci controllers. Nothing has changed.

the error under details from the driver window states: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."

So, I uninstall the drivers, install the drivers from the ASUS site, and the same thing happens. I don't understand how the asmedia xhci controller driver can load but the USB Hub fail to find a suitable driver after that.

This only began after a recent windows update run.

What's the deal? What should the USB hub say for a name? Generic USB hub? or usb3.0 hub? or intel usb 3.0 root hub? It keeps trying to install it as a USB Root Hub. Nothing about usb3.0, or that they are being fed from the xhci controllers.

I feel like i should be forcing the 2 "USB Root Hub"s that appear when the XHCI are installed (and which show that 39 error) into something stating "USB 3.0 Root Hub" instead of the generic one (which appears the same as the usb 2.0 hub)

Last edited:
Bueller?

$379 motherboard not working correctly in windows but fine in the bios before boot...

My RMA status is now "Waitex" and it's been over 10 days, I'm starting to think I'm going to get screwed here by ASUS and their Indiana repair facitly......

I think I scared him off. :/

>.<

Scared who, me? No, I'm actually working away on an event so have little time for the forums over the next week.

If you have a spare HDD, install windows on it and see if the USB ports exhibit the same problems - am wondering if something funky is going on with your OS.

-Raja

Scared who, me? No, I'm actually working away on an event so have little time for the forums over the next week.

If you have a spare HDD, install windows on it and see if the USB ports exhibit the same problems - am wondering if something funky is going on with your OS.

-Raja

I did a clean install after a secure erase on my ssd while I was waiting and as soon as windows update started doing updates the usb3 ports went dead again.

Hey Sweetleader (fishing name?),
I have an X79 Sabertooth that was running an Nvidia 460, uninstalled all drivers and software and installed my new~ish AMD 7970 from another system. The board beeped VGA failure, and some quick investigation showed the bios was old (ROM) and probably the problem. I ran the ROM to CAP on a 4Gb HP stick (seemed to work) and then updated to the newest bios (4005). MB now shows no post, no beep code, and quietly reboots after about 15 seconds, but the CPU led is lit. It ran fine forever before this, and I have not removed the CPU. Am I looking at a new bios chip?

Sweetleader said:
The .rom to .cap conversion is to be done only once and its not reversible
Also for cap conversion, you should only use the designated USB flashing port. Using this proceedure with a later bios may fix things, since it will flash with PC off using +5VSB, even with no post - IF it does flash!. Use USB 2.0 stick formatted FAT32 8GB partition or less.
Download and rename ASUS current 3501 bios to SABERX79.CAP (NOT .rom) - load to USB stick root.
And after flashback completes, you must shut down PC and do an unplugged PSU CMOS reset. Do not try to boot into Windows until this is done.

Back