ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

Raja, can you post your bios settings for the p9x79 pro, im also using 32gb of corsair vengeance 1600 memory, but im having problems getting 4.8ghz stable. Thanks. 4.6 is good tho, 46x100.

If 4.6GHz is stable using the same DRAM frequency it's not really memory settings you need but more likely a boost in CPU Vcore (maybe a small change to VCCSA for increased IO).

-Raja

If 4.6GHz is stable using the same DRAM frequency it's not really memory settings you need but more likely a boost in CPU Vcore (maybe a small change to VCCSA for increased IO).

-Raja

I need 1.32v for 4.6GHZ, i have tried 1.44v for 4.8ghz, 1.2v for vccsa and 1.2v for vtt, even tried raising pll to 1.88v, i just cannot get 4.7 or 4.8 stable.

I need 1.32v for 4.6GHZ, i have tried 1.44v for 4.8ghz, 1.2v for vccsa and 1.2v for vtt, even tried raising pll to 1.88v, i just cannot get 4.7 or 4.8 stable.

Strange. If it were down to memory you would not be stable at 4.6GHz either. Some CPUs do wall out suddenly, in which case there is not much you can do. The only other thing it could be is current related. Cool the VRM with a strong fan, and see if increasing some of the current thresholds in the DIGI + section of UEFI helps.

-Raja

Hey Raja, I may have a memory issue.

Just installed a P9X79 DELUXE with a 3930k processor. Everything is stock speeds. I've got 8x4G sticks of DDR3 PC1600 @ 1.5v, but rather than showing up as 32G of RAM, the system shows it as 24G.

CPU-z identified RAM in slot 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7. No info on 3, 4, and 8. The RAM came from known good builds. Is there something I'm missing?

Digging into it more, I see there are some diagnostic tools. Two of the slots may have some issues. RAM in A2 and B2 don't seem to show. The SPD tool shows abnormal on B1 and B2.

Last edited:
Have a couple of questions about the P9X79 WS:

1. Does it support VT-d? This feature is not listed on the spec page.

2. Will it support any sort of overclocking (assuming the CPU has the standard "3-4 bins above turbo" multiplier limit) for the upcoming Xeon E5 series CPUs?

Hey Raja, I may have a memory issue.

Just installed a P9X79 DELUXE with a 3930k processor. Everything is stock speeds. I've got 8x4G sticks of DDR3 PC1600 @ 1.5v, but rather than showing up as 32G of RAM, the system shows it as 24G.

CPU-z identified RAM in slot 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7. No info on 3, 4, and 8. The RAM came from known good builds. Is there something I'm missing?

Digging into it more, I see there are some diagnostic tools. Two of the slots may have some issues. RAM in A2 and B2 don't seem to show. The SPD tool shows abnormal on B1 and B2.

Chances are that the CPU memory controller needs more voltage (VCCSA) and that the memory timings need relaxing for quad channel with those DIMMs.

-Raja

Have a couple of questions about the P9X79 WS:

1. Does it support VT-d? This feature is not listed on the spec page.

2. Will it support any sort of overclocking (assuming the CPU has the standard "3-4 bins above turbo" multiplier limit) for the upcoming Xeon E5 series CPUs?

1. VT-d is not currently supported on the retail CPUs.

2. Depends entirely on what Intel allow and for you could come down to cooling if power consumption scales with core count.

-Raja

Chances are that the CPU memory controller needs more voltage (VCCSA) and that the memory timings need relaxing for quad channel with those DIMMs.

-Raja

If I add only one or a pair of RAM sticks, those two slots won't post. I've shuffled the RAM a bit too. Need to bump the default VCCSA for all slots to be active?

Appreciate the forum support here, btw.

If I add only one or a pair of RAM sticks, those two slots won't post. I've shuffled the RAM a bit too. Need to bump the default VCCSA for all slots to be active?

Appreciate the forum support here, btw.

SItuation like this, clear CMOS and put two modules in the channel that won't register one of the DIMMs and see if both are picked up. If they are not, something deeper is amiss. If both DIMMs are picked up, the problem can likely be fixed with voltage and memory timing adjustments.

VCCSA is memory controller voltage. If all banks are loaded at DDR3-1600, then it is actually defined as an overclocked by Intel, hence voltage may need tuning.

-Raja

SItuation like this, clear CMOS and put two modules in the channel that won't register one of the DIMMs and see if both are picked up. If they are not, something deeper is amiss. If both DIMMs are picked up, the problem can likely be fixed with voltage and memory timing adjustments.

VCCSA is memory controller voltage. If all banks are loaded at DDR3-1600, then it is actually defined as an overclocked by Intel, hence voltage may need tuning.

-Raja

Not sure what went right, but after adding a bit more drivers (and heating up the box?) all 32g seem to be on-line. Will dig through the diagnostics. Just a side note - I really liked the LED on the board, the diagnostics in the bios, and the tools in windows.

well, I will just throw this out for what its worth.
That sounds a bit like a LGA pin(s) slightly askew
Try a reseat

Last edited:
Those pins were scary. Too tiny to use the mechanical pencil to straiten out an accident, were one to occur.

There a trick to the RAID array on this thing? Made a boot thumbdrive with Win7 and added the drivers, but when I browse to it I keep getting the 'The [Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller .. device driver could not be installed.'. Tried the drivers from the Intel site too. I do have the original BIOS, from the looks of things, so that might be part of the problem. Made the array in the normal ctrl-i setup first.

(Edit: scratch that, looks like the drivers just got messed up when moving them to a USB drive.)

So the 24G > 32G issue might have something to do with the heat - which implies they are <i>almost</i> touching the correct pins. Cold boot this morning started with 24G, reboot shows 32.

Last edited:
UEFI 0906 for the Sabertooth X79, Pro, Standard and Deluxe:

Fix list:

1. Enhance PCIe 3.0 Support Capability.
2. Enhance DRAM Compatibility.
3. Enhance CPU OC capability.
4. Enable VT-d support for VT-d enabled processor.
5. Speed up S3 resume time

Download links:

P9X79
P9X79 Deluxe
P9X79 Pro
Sabertooth X79

-Raja

Last edited:
Those are some scary slow DL speeds you've got, Raja, but that could just be demand after X-mas. It took several MINUTES to DL a few megs - it took me back to my dial-up days.

Anyway, I've got a weird problem with the ASUS software. I originally installed 7 and the motherboard utilities files without any problem, plus all the other goodies. Then I reformatted and reinstalled 7 for reasons that aren't important here. 7 installed fine, along with the LAN drivers and some other goodies, maybe - I honestly can't remember. BUT when I try to install the MB utilities programs, even individually, nothing happens. 7 asks for my permission and all that, for 4 different programs, but nothing happens. I've tried repeatedly with the latest versions DLd from your site. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help you've given us.

NM, I used the CD and managed to install everything, I think. At least I don't have a shitload of unrecognized devices in the Device Manager. Here's to hoping it works out, though I'm still confused why the CD worked and the DL files didn't. It may have something to do with Avast, though.

Update: I still can't get Thermal Radar to work, even though it did just a few days ago. That's just weird. I'll try reinstalling it on the morrow.

Update: I still can't get Thermal Radar to work, even though it did just a few days ago. That's just weird. I'll try reinstalling it on the morrow.

If you've got the board in your signature (P9X79 Pro), then Thermal Radar will not work as it is for the Sabertooth only.

-Raja

UEFI 0906 for the Sabertooth X79, Pro, Standard and Deluxe:

Fix list:

1. Enhance PCIe 3.0 Support Capability.
2. Enhance DRAM Compatibility.
3. Enhance CPU OC capability.
4. Enable VT-d support for VT-d enabled processor.
5. Speed up S3 resume time

Download links:

P9X79
P9X79 Deluxe
P9X79 Pro
Sabertooth X79

-Raja

I have a stable setup on a x79 sabertooth. Just letting people know it's still fine after upgrading to the 0906 BIOS.

Hi,

I've been having similar issues as Heelix, cold boot locks me at 12x multiplier and only 24gb of ram instead of 32, upon reboot the cpu goes back to normal, and after a bit of use and a 3rd reboot i'm getting the 32gig. I'm using a p9x79 pro with a 3930k. I noticed that the cpu voltage was around 0.6 instead of 1.175 so somethings clearly amiss when it cold boots.

I updated to 0906 bios and will report if that solves the issue.

Monkey God, I had some trouble with GPT and MBR when I was installing. As a UEFI board it can use GPT and while its meant to support both but try as I might with MBR it didn't work, this gave me a similar blinking cursor issue.

When installing windows from the disc you need to make sure you specify whether you are booting via UEFI or not, if you specify UEFI the windows install picks up on that and automatically does GPT, if you don't use UEFI then it automatically does MBR.

In order to configure which mode to boot the install disc from you get 2 options for the same dvd drive one is the ye olde ATAPI (I think thats what it is called in bios), and another says UEFI, use UEFI and the windows installer will detect and use that.

Hi,

I've been having similar issues as Heelix, cold boot locks me at 12x multiplier and only 24gb of ram instead of 32, upon reboot the cpu goes back to normal, and after a bit of use and a 3rd reboot i'm getting the 32gig. I'm using a p9x79 pro with a 3930k. I noticed that the cpu voltage was around 0.6 instead of 1.175 so somethings clearly amiss when it cold boots.

Monkey God, I had some trouble with GPT and MBR when I was installing. As a UEFI board it can use GPT and while its meant to support both but try as I might with MBR it didn't work, this gave me a similar blinking cursor issue.

When installing windows from the disc you need to make sure you specify whether you are booting via UEFI or not, if you specify UEFI the windows install picks up on that and automatically does GPT, if you don't use UEFI then it automatically does MBR.

In order to configure which mode to boot the install disc from you get 2 options for the same dvd drive one is the ye olde ATAPI (I think thats what it is called in bios), and another says UEFI, use UEFI and the windows installer will detect and use that.

Let me know how the BOIS flash interacts with your issues. I assume you are running the system at stock and not overclocked in any way? Also might be worth typing a full parts list.

-Raja

Hi,

I'm fighting a blinking cursor issue now.

I installed win7 x64 ulti w/ GPT - blinking cursor after rebooting 2-3 times.

With MBR I got a lot of good reboots (I thought it was working fine). Then I rebooted to install something or other and hit the blinking cursor issue again. I may have mucked with BIOS settings here as well, I wasn't really paying attention as I thought everything was good.

After reading on GPT & MBR + UEFI for a bit I'm going to reinstall win7 w/ GPTs. This time I removed all other hard drives (one of them had a stale MBR and I read this may create issues).

I'm still twiddling with things, but will reply if I figure anything out.

Edit: I guess I should mention this is on a sabertooth x79 w/ a 3930k all stock.

Double Edit:

I got everything installed and running. I disabled the Marvell and ASM controllers in addition to converting my old MBA to GPT. Working on turning things back on slowly - I really don't want to reinstall windows again today!

Last edited:
Hello Asus!!! I have been wanting a Rampage 4 Extreme for months now, but am going to wait until the new Intel Thunderbolt Connectivity is added to the board. I know the Ivy Bridge 1155 boards are going to be equipped with Thunderbolt, will there be a Rampage 4 Extreme X79 Thunderbolt Edition? In April? Please let me know it seems silly to purchase a board without the newest I/O available. 10GB/s is twice as fast as USB 3.0!;)

Running i7-3930 w/16GB GSKILL RipJawz QUAD channel memory. After updating Bios to v 0906 the ASUS page for entering setup comes up and stays on screen after initial cold boot or initial system reset. Post code is 64. Then I do a hard reset and it again comes to the ASUS EFI page and waits for almost a minute, then it boots into windows.

I am booting to a Kingston HyperX SSD. Have tried changing boot priorities but unless Windows Boot Manager is first, it does not seem to want to start.

Tried flashing back to BIOS v 0804 and the problem remains with the system stopping on the same 64 Post Code.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hello Asus!!! I have been wanting a Rampage 4 Extreme for months now, but am going to wait until the new Intel Thunderbolt Connectivity is added to the board. I know the Ivy Bridge 1155 boards are going to be equipped with Thunderbolt, will there be a Rampage 4 Extreme X79 Thunderbolt Edition? In April? Please let me know it seems silly to purchase a board without the newest I/O available. 10GB/s is twice as fast as USB 3.0!;)

I have thunderbolt on my Macs, and while it is impressive I don't really use it much at all. *shrugs*

I guess if you do a lot of file transfers to external drives. Otherwise...meh. The USB 3.0 Turbo boost that the R4E does makes a lot more sense (since I dont have to buy new peripherals with it) and I use that more than I would ever use Thunderbolt. It's amazingly fast too!!

Who wants to go out and buy all new enclosures?? Thunderbolt is all hype right now and waiting to buy this amazing board because of that is just silly.

Running i7-3930 w/16GB GSKILL RipJawz QUAD channel memory. After updating Bios to v 0906 the ASUS page for entering setup comes up and stays on screen after initial cold boot or initial system reset. Post code is 64. Then I do a hard reset and it again comes to the ASUS EFI page and waits for almost a minute, then it boots into windows.

I am booting to a Kingston HyperX SSD. Have tried changing boot priorities but unless Windows Boot Manager is first, it does not seem to want to start.

Tried flashing back to BIOS v 0804 and the problem remains with the system stopping on the same 64 Post Code.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

1) Clear CMOS and use system defaults and see if the board still halts at b4.

2) Sounds like you performed a GPT install, so Windows Boot Manager needing to be at the top is normal.

-Raja

Thank you Raja. CMOS Cleared using the RTC clear button. Reloaded default CMOS. Bios places all of the EUFI devices as the first devices. System still hanging at post code 64 first time through. Will not even allow me to DEL into the Bios setup from that screen. Then hard reset and it will then allow either boot to windows or DEL into setup.

Thank you Raja. CMOS Cleared using the RTC clear button. Reloaded default CMOS. Bios places all of the EUFI devices as the first devices. System still hanging at post code 64 first time through. Will not even allow me to DEL into the Bios setup from that screen. Then hard reset and it will then allow either boot to windows or DEL into setup.

try running only two memory modules and se if you get a b4 halt first time..

Raja: tried both two and a single 4GB stick. Even changed sticks to be sure it was not a bad module. Still hanging on post code 64 first boot almost every time. Second subsequent boot it will hang for about 30-40 seconds then boot into windows.

Am still running all of the system loaded defaults. No changes at all. Also I no longer see the initial text screen that shows total memory and storage devices being loaded. It does come up the first time after clearing CMOS but then it is gone.

you are not getting the message
it sends you to setup because it sees your first boot device with no bootable active partition with bootmgr, its telling you to load an O/S. You have bootmgr.efi.
You made a GPT drive unknowingly because you put a Win 7 X64 disk in drive, booted to it and the drive you installed Win 7 on was new or formatted - unallocated.

Everything was fine with boot order at that time.
You then redid bios, which remade boot order and as Raja said, winbootmanager was no longer first.
You cannot under any condition, boot to a GPT disk unless set as winbootmanager FIRST by install, or MANUALLY by you in bios.
You cannot have any other device - USB DVD or HDD, UEFI or not, AHEAD of that particular drive.

What I would do is unplug all other USB HDD SSD except boot drive, place boot drive on Intel port #1, boot to bios and set that device on boot page to winbootmanager, then a full shutdown
Then go back to EZ page and do a mouse rollover and make sure it says winbootmgr

The bios stopping at code 64 is kinda neat - its telling you exactly whats wrong. It tries your first config sees its NFG and moves on to next device.

Once you boot to Win 7 you can, if you wish, right click the drive in diskmanager and "convert MBR". This will also wipe the drive.

Hi,

my english is not the best, so I start quick with my questions:

1. A guy from Intel wrote me, that with the C2 Bios support C1 will enable vt-d, too. However I updated to 0802 but still nothing... Do I miss something:confused:

2. Will, in the future, the Mobo support ECC Reg. Ram??

Best Regards,
Lucas

Thanks Cisco! That did it! Is there pros/cons to the BPT vs MBR setup? Have been reading about some utilities like DUET that allow you change over to an MBR without wiping the disk (would hate to have to reload all 110 WIN7 updates! :(

You are correct that it was a new unformatted SSD. Computer was new build from the ground up. I had plugged in an external HD and it would see this as the primary regardless of the boot priority I set. The BIOS seemed to foget that BootMgr needed to be first.

GPT has many benefits
128 Primaries (no extended/logical)
Up to 2.19TB partitions
7.4 Zettabyte capacity for arrays
Native to Linux Mac
Can recognize 4096Bn (native) HDD's (and 4096B SSD addresses - SSD have no sectors)
Current large HDD are 4096Be sectored - 4096B emulated to MSDOS MBR 512B sectors. But emulation takes time. Eventually all HDD will be 4096Bn, and MSDOS MBR cannot work with them at all.

The only drawback NOW is that if you want to BOOT to a DVD, you have to use F8 or bios boot overrides. You cant boot thru another device to do winbootmanager, which really should have already been fixed with a bios update long ago. And Winbootmanager should be renamed to winEFImanager to prevent confusion.

Hi,

my english is not the best, so I start quick with my questions:

1. A guy from Intel wrote me, that with the C2 Bios support C1 will enable vt-d, too. However I updated to 0802 but still nothing... Do I miss something:confused:

2. Will, in the future, the Mobo support ECC Reg. Ram??

Best Regards,
Lucas

1. No the C1 CPUs do not have VT-d support, that is Intel's issue.

2. Keep an eye on the QVL and manual for compatible ECC DIMMs, the manual states ECC support.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers!

I asked of the RAM,because I run into trouble with [M393B1K70CH0-CH9] Samsung ECC-Reg.-1333MHz(the board did not recognize the RAM). My first thought was a BIOS update, but no chance, haven't tried it with the 0802 version, because I thought Registered/buffered Ram isn't supported.

Best regards
Lucas

EDIT: I've put the ECC Ram on the Board mixed with my desktop RAM. The ECC RAM will not be added to the system RAM, but in the BIOS it shows me the manufacturer and all the ram stuff. But it has the state "abnormal". If I put just the ECC ram on the board it fails at boot with the code B5[pci bus hot plug<-whatever this mean...] (or maybe 65[CPU DXE initialization is started]?).

Last edited:
Do either the RIVF or RIVE have a way to invert the POST Codes so they would show up properly in an inverted ATX case? If not, is this something that could be added through a UEFI update? I know you probably couldn't answer if it would be added just wondering if it is a possibility.

Thank you for the answers!

I asked of the RAM,because I run into trouble with [M393B1K70CH0-CH9] Samsung ECC-Reg.-1333MHz(the board did not recognize the RAM). My first thought was a BIOS update, but no chance, haven't tried it with the 0802 version, because I thought Registered/buffered Ram isn't supported.

Best regards
Lucas

EDIT: I've put the ECC Ram on the Board mixed with my desktop RAM. The ECC RAM will not be added to the system RAM, but in the BIOS it shows me the manufacturer and all the ram stuff. But it has the state "abnormal". If I put just the ECC ram on the board it fails at boot with the code B5[pci bus hot plug<-whatever this mean...] (or maybe 65[CPU DXE initialization is started]?).

Check the QVL to see if that RAM is listed or not.

Do either the RIVF or RIVE have a way to invert the POST Codes so they would show up properly in an inverted ATX case? If not, is this something that could be added through a UEFI update? I know you probably couldn't answer if it would be added just wondering if it is a possibility.

That cannot be changed I'm afraid. It's that way up only...

Back