ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

Hi Raja,
ty very much I change value in bios to 1.200 V for VCCSA is this ok ? It said min is 0.8 max 1.7v. Should I also change some value in AI Suite II ? There is option to increase VCCSA current capability from 100% to 130% , should I increase there something as well ?
Also what about putting 1.7v to DRAM (right now on xmp 1 profile is 1.65v).

TY !

ps. in meantime I did ramtest and I passed here is screenshot how everything look like
ram-test-123.png

Last edited:
As your issue is during the POST tests I would just focus on that. Usually these CPus dont need any more than 1.20V for VCCSA. Set it in UEFI and see how the machine POSTs.

Hey Raja,
I might need your help as well... I manage to make it work , but 2nd problem appear .
Look like motherboard somehow turn off watercooling/pump (Coolermaster nepton 140xl AIC) after I restart/shutdown computer. CPU temperature go up to 90c and I've got cpu overheat warning press f1 to enter bios . Than I restart cmos and all work good. Watercooling in bios is seted up to normal/standard .

Somehow look like after restarting pc(when it's overclocked) motherboard turn off pump cose fans work on 2.000rpm/maximum and I've got this 90c on cpu ( which implement that pump doesn't work).

When I try to plug pump connector to other pin ( it use 4pin connector ) I cant pass bios cose its said no cpu cooling ( right now pump is connected to cpu fan connector ) and fans are connected to asst_fan.

You have any clue whats problem here?

As I said when I restart cmos all works good (temperature is 28-30c on idle, 50c on 100% fully load) . Maybe I should turn off fans in bios and plug to other pin pump ? Is it going to work in this way?

ty and sorry for disturbing

Set Q-Fan to disabled on the header the pump is plugged into. The pump should then run at full speed all the time.

Hey Raja,
I did it , but sound is like plane coming trough my window :)(when its on 2.200rpm), should I just change my cooling system ? Maybe I can try to replace this product that I have somehow . Its really noisy and u cant seat next to computer :/ .
Sound is like this , maybe even worse :\ :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUHb96UlYU

Hey Raja,
I did it , but sound is like plane coming trough my window :)(when its on 2.200rpm), should I just change my cooling system ? Maybe I can try to replace this product that I have somehow . Its really noisy and u cant seat next to computer :/ .
Sound is like this , maybe even worse :\ :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUHb96UlYU

That video is measuring fan noise not pump noise. Make sure you have set the correct header to full speed and make sure your fans are on the correct header. AIO pumps do not make this kind of noise - in fact many are quieter when set to full speed.

If you are using the pump on the CPU header then place the fans on the Chassis fan headers. Or, put the pump on one of the chassis fan headers, set it to full speed there and put the fans on the CPU and CPU_OPT header and let them be controlled.

Hey Raja,
ty for this ! I solved my problems !

I put pump to Chassis fan header and fans to cpu header and all working fine right now ! Ty very much for your help and your time !
tempertures are close to 45-48 during my work , fully load 65-75 max , processor is clocked to 4.4ghz with 1.2v and ram is clocked to 2.4ghz 1.65v , vccsa 1.2v all stable/passed prime and stuff. is temp.s ok?

TY very much.

Guys i've updated by firmware from 2002 to one of the newest 4701, and i'm not getting sound AT ALL. No sound, and no MIC.
I've updated to the latest realtek drivers. I'm plugging my speakers into the green plug at the back and the mic into the mic socket.
It's driving me crazy!

Help much appreciated.

Raja,

I have P9X79 WS, flashed to the 4701 BIOS. The system seems to be working fine save for one item...I can't get to the BIOS. Both the UEFI option in Win8.1 and hitting the keyboard shortcut on POST result in the same thing: black screen.

Thoughts on how this can be resolved? I've tried pulling everything off the system save for a vid card, LCD, kb/mouse and the issue remains. Also tried removing all power and letting it sit for a bit.

thanks for any help/guidance you can give.

-[27]

I am still bewildered by this. I have tried reflashing the BIOS and the same issues are occurring. thoughts on what it might be?

Last edited:
Probably a display incompatibility. UEFI outputs at 1280X1024. Some GPU/display combos don't like this. This is usually the case with older display devices such as old projectors, some TVs and in some cases some of the "cheap" korean monitors. If thats the case, there is no fix other than to use a compatible display.

Dear all it is my first post so ... be patient, please.

My system:
P9X79-E WS (s/n:E5S1YZ003089), INTEL CORE I7-4930K LGA2011 3.9GHz BX80633I74930K, (s/n:35335114A0066), GSkill RipjawsZ 4x8GB F3-1866C9Q-32GZH, GTX780TI-DC20C-3GD5 (s/n:E6YVCM059548), Seagate SSHD ST2000DX001 2TB

Problem description:
- BIOS 1602; setup default (F5)
- no overclocking
- no BIOS beep during POST, never!
- Windows 7x64 SP1 installation stops during loading "disk.sys"
BSOF: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION STOP 0x0000009C
- tried DVD & USB installation: no change
- tried Windows 8.1, XPx64, ... no change
- memory test OK
- tried many different BIOS SETTING: no change until
1 only core set Active in BIOS
- everything works: Windows 7 loaded, all driveres loaded, but ...
only one core is active (2 CPU detected with HT on)
- reverting BIOS to "All Cores" ..... Windows does not boot: BSOD as before
- MB BIOS "All Cores Active" tested, booting "BIOS Implementation Test Suite (BITS)",
Build number: 1090
- BITS Test shows the following errors on "MP Table" and "MSR consistency test":
>>>>>>>>>>>> BEGIN TEST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
. . . omitted PASSED tests
. . . . . . .
==== MP Table ====
[assert] Internal error; test threw exception FAIL
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/boot/python/testsuite.py", line 265, in run_all_tests
t.func()
File "/boot/python/mptable.py", line 395, in test_mptable
mp = MPTable()
File "/boot/python/mptable.py", line 92, in __init__
self.add_field('base_structures', unpack.unpack_all(u, _base_structures), unpack.format_each("\n\n{!r}"))
File "/boot/python/unpack.py", line 202, in unpack_all
return tuple(_substructs())
File "/boot/python/unpack.py", line 196, in _substructs
temp = s(u, *args)
File "/boot/python/mptable.py", line 260, in __init__
super(MpBaseStructureUnknown, self).__init__(u)
File "/boot/python/mptable.py", line 152, in __init__
self.u = u.unpack_unpackable(length)
File "/boot/python/unpack.py", line 105, in unpack_unpackable
u = Unpackable(self.data, self.offset, size)
File "/boot/python/unpack.py", line 47, in __init__
raise UnpackError("Unpackable.__init__: offset+size={} but len(data)={}".format(self.size, data_size))
UnpackError: Unpackable.__init__: offset+size=55916 but len(data)=55909
Summary: 0 passed, 1 failed

==== MSR consistency test ====
[assert] MSR 0x53 consistent FAIL
12 unique values
1 CPUs: 0
MSR 0x53: 0x0
1 CPUs: 1
MSR 0x53: 0x1
1 CPUs: 2
MSR 0x53: 0x2
1 CPUs: 3
MSR 0x53: 0x3
1 CPUs: 4
MSR 0x53: 0x4
1 CPUs: 5
MSR 0x53: 0x5
1 CPUs: 6
MSR 0x53: 0x6
1 CPUs: 7
MSR 0x53: 0x7
1 CPUs: 8
MSR 0x53: 0x8
1 CPUs: 9
MSR 0x53: 0x9
1 CPUs: 10
MSR 0x53: 0xa
1 CPUs: 11
MSR 0x53: 0xb
[assert] MSR 0x198 consistent FAIL
2 unique values
7 CPUs: 0,1,2,5,7,8,10
MSR 0x198: 0x1a6b00000c00
5 CPUs: 3,4,6,9,11
MSR 0x198: 0x1a9400000c00
[assert] MSR 0x1b1 consistent FAIL
2 unique values
8 CPUs: 0,1,2,3,4,7,9,11
MSR 0x1b1: 0x883f0000
4 CPUs: 5,6,8,10
MSR 0x1b1: 0x88400000
[assert] MSR 0x611 consistent FAIL
12 unique values
MSR 0x611: 0x20eed7a0
MSR 0x611: 0x20eee8a8
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee3e04
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee4f28
MSR 0x611: 0x20eeb14a
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee8acd
MSR 0x611: 0x20eefded
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee7591
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee6479
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee28b9
MSR 0x611: 0x20ee9bdb
MSR 0x611: 0x20eec24a
[assert] MSR 0x639 consistent FAIL
12 unique values
MSR 0x639: 0x13cddfa0
MSR 0x639: 0x13cda422
MSR 0x639: 0x13cd8944
MSR 0x639: 0x13cdb567
MSR 0x639: 0x13cd9a8c
MSR 0x639: 0x13cdc6ae
MSR 0x639: 0x13cdd7f4
MSR 0x639: 0x13cdbd16
MSR 0x639: 0x13cd819a
MSR 0x639: 0x13cdce5d
MSR 0x639: 0x13cd92de
MSR 0x639: 0x13cdadbf
Summary: 8168 passed, 5 failed

==== Overall summary: 8254 passed, 6 failed ====
>>>>>>>>>>>> END TEST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Does anyone know if there is any way in the BIOS of the P9X79 WS to prevent the loading of option Roms on adapters inserted in PCIe slots?

I have been searching through the BIOS without much luck.

Thanks,
Matt

Post questions, tips, tricks in this thread please for official ASUS support. :)

I think I already know the answer, :rolleyes: but I still have to ask.

My system is describe in my SIG. I need to upgrade to a 512 GB SSD and I've been reading about the performance of NVMe-based SSDs. Supposedly only available for X99 chipset boards, but I have found a bunch of links about how people want ASUS to add this support to their X79 boards?

Any decision yet? Will ASUS ever provide this support?

If you have p9x79 pro, you should be able to boot intel 750 ssd.
Here is my reply on Asus poll:
Fyi, 750 is bootable on Asus x79 pro board with 4801 bios: installed on 4th slot (2nd blue pci-e slot), leave CSM enabled in bios, has to load intel driver for windows 7 install.

Fyi, 750 is bootable on Asus x79 pro board with 4801 bios: installed on 4th slot (2nd blue pci-e slot), leave CSM enabled in bios, has to load intel driver for windows 7 install.

Nice, that must be what the comment in the bios release notes for my P9X79 WS about compatibility with "some storage device."

Description BIOS 4802 for P9X79 WS released to public.
1. Improve compatibility to some Gen 2/3 capture card and with some storage device.
2. Improve “Restore AC Power Loss” function in UEFI BIOS – APM section.

Zarathustra[H];1041788978 said:
Nice, that must be what the comment in the bios release notes for my P9X79 WS about compatibility with "some storage device."

Can anyone confirm? And is this AHCI only support, or will NVMe drives work too?

Zarathustra[H];1041790399 said:
Can anyone confirm? And is this AHCI only support, or will NVMe drives work too?

Alright, I went ahead and did a "Live Chat" with Asus support.

(Either Kyle has a new job, or this is a funny coincidence :p )

Asus Support Live Chat said:
Kyle B.
Hello, thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.

Hi, How can I assist you today ?

Me
Hi, I have a quick hardware support question.

Recently there have been rumors that Asus would be adding support for booting from PCI Express SSD's to the BIOS for the x79 line of motherboards.

We also recently got a BIOS update with this rather cryptic line:

Description BIOS 4802 for P9X79 WS released to public.
1. Improve compatibility to some Gen 2/3 capture card and with some storage device.
2. Improve “Restore AC Power Loss” function in UEFI BIOS – APM section.

Does the "compatibility with some storage device" mean that PCIe SSD booting support has been added?

If yes, is it for AHCI drives only, or is NVMe supported as well?

Kyle B.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Me
It's not an inconvenience at all. I was just hoping to get further details than I could get by reading the release notes for the latest BIOS.

Kyle B.
Please wait, I will check with my resources and let you know.

Me
OK. Thank you

Kyle B.
Thank you very much for being on hold.
It does not mean that PCIe SSD booting support has been added

Me
OK. Thank you. Do you know if this is planned?

I had heard reports of someone being able to boot on a P9x79 Pro model, but it is different than mine

Kyle B.
I am sorry, We dont have exact information abour that as a technical support team.

Me
Alright. Thank you

Kyle B.
Okay. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Me
No, I appreciate your help. Thank you very much

Kyle B.
Thank you for choosing Asus.

You will receive a short survey after this chat to rate the level of support you’ve received from us today. We would appreciate your valuable feedback which will help us improve our level of service to you.

Thank you again for choosing ASUS. Have a great day!

(Edited to remove my name)

Zarathustra[H];1041790399 said:

Not sure about AHCI, but intel 750 SSD is NVMe drive.

Not sure about AHCI, but intel 750 SSD is NVMe drive.

Ahh, didn't know if it fell back to AHCI, if NVMe wasn't available or something like that.

What is your source for that this works? I ask because in my chat log above, Asus Support is telling me it doesn't. I'd like to investigate further.

I have p9x79 pro and using 400gb 750 ssd as my boot drive (upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 a few weeks ago)

I have p9x79 pro and using 400gb 750 ssd as my boot drive (upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 a few weeks ago)

Interesting.

Hopefully Raja can comment on this. It is odd that the customer service above would say it doesn't work, when it does...

I'd be interested in running a Samsung SM951 NVMe in an m.2 adapter in my P9X79 WS, but I would really not like to buy it only to find out afterwards that it doesn't boot :p

Can you comment any more on how you got this to work? Did you have to do any special tweaking to get it to boot?

Raja replied to me a while back (forgot to post here) that the Assu X79 boards have no official support for PCIe SSD booting.

Maybe it is an undocumented addition to the bios from somewhere else?

I mean, all it really is is an option ROM that recognizes the SSD in a PCIe slot, so it's all software, not hardware dependent...

Wish I could get an answer as I am really itching for an AHCI mode SM951 in m.2 PCIe adapter.

edit:

I think I have figured it out. Some random Googling suggests that Intel included a bootrom on both the 750 and p3700 PCIe SSD's. That is why you are able to boot from it.

An SM951 will likely never boot, as it does not include a bootrom, and would thus need the bootrom to be included in the BIOS, which it is not. Only boards with m.2 slots tend to have this driver included.

Last edited:
I didn't do anything special besides enabling CSM in the bios and the drive showed up. During windows 7 install, you have to load intel driver for it.

I didn't do anything special besides enabling CSM in the bios and the drive showed up. During windows 7 install, you have to load intel driver for it.

Ahh, cool thanks.

I did something similar.

The drive works beautifully with only two minor annoyances:

1.) Drive activity does not display on my motherboard HDD Led, so I can't actually tell when the drive is working.

2.) During times of heavy drive activity, there is a high pitched noise coming from the drive. This may be a "me" issue, as I tend to hear (and be bothered by) such things as dog whistles and ultrasonic welders and ultrasonic cleaners that others don't, but it is there, and in a drive with no moving parts, I wonder what causes that sound.

My biggest problem though is how I can transfer my partitions from my old drive (formatted as MBR with traditional BIOS booting) to this drive as GPT and UEFI and still be able to boot.

It is AMAZING to me that the industry bull charged into EFI without having a straight forward migration path. There is no way I want to reinstall my OS:es. I've spent countless hours getting them just perfect the way I want them. That's why I take drive images.

So... Silly question to the bigger brains here, what exactly does the CPU LED actually point out if it errors (stays lit after post). I just finished bleeding my new watercooled rig with an X79 Sabertooth, and it is working well, benchbarks / furmark / memtest etc all pass. But the friggen' CPU led stays lit. The only think I can come up with looking through all the doc's I can turn up is possible mother board stand off (!?) not being tightened, but I'm praying that there is another thing to check... Any ideas?

So... Silly question to the bigger brains here, what exactly does the CPU LED actually point out if it errors (stays lit after post). I just finished bleeding my new watercooled rig with an X79 Sabertooth, and it is working well, benchbarks / furmark / memtest etc all pass. But the friggen' CPU led stays lit. The only think I can come up with looking through all the doc's I can turn up is possible mother board stand off (!?) not being tightened, but I'm praying that there is another thing to check... Any ideas?

Do you have an Optical drive? In the old days Optical drives could sometimes cause this behavior if their OS drivers weren't properly loaded. Been a long time though.

Ah, I'm on travel now but I'll double check that when I get home (but 75% no, it's in the case but not attached)...

Probably a display incompatibility. UEFI outputs at 1280X1024. Some GPU/display combos don't like this. This is usually the case with older display devices such as old projectors, some TVs and in some cases some of the "cheap" korean monitors. If thats the case, there is no fix other than to use a compatible display.

its a dell 3007WFP-HC, not eactly a cheap monitor, and it supports 2560x1600....

[27];1041929447 said:
its a dell 3007WFP-HC, not eactly a cheap monitor, and it supports 2560x1600....

It needs to handshake at 1280X1024 to correctly display UEFI. Might want to dry a different output from the VGA and input on the monitor during POST~BOOT. Possible the default graphics card output outside the OS is not the one you are using.

I am having some strange issues with the BIOS on my ASUS X79 DELUXE.

It is running the latest version.

Problems:
1. It will work fine for days/weeks and then all of a sudden start giving me BSODs on bootup and/or tell me that a required device cannot be found. - no settings changed.

2. Upon powering off and removing power, then resetting the BIOS via the reset button, it will reset to default settings but still BSOD on boot or tell me a required device cannot be found. I have done a clean install on a different drive and it made no difference.

3. On the second boot after resetting the BIOS, it will automagically set the CPU multipliers to overclock the cores anywhere from 43 to 41 and the RAM to 2133.

4. After resetting everything back to default manually, it will then give me a BSOD or tell me it can't find a required device. This last time I ended up having to disable all drives except the actual boot drive in the boot priorities to get it to work.

Next issue that does not relate to above issues:

Whenever RAM timings are changed, it does not actually use the new timings as evidenced by testing unless a hard shutdown is done. Seems like it is not doing something that it should be after saving/exiting the BIOS.

Here are a couple other issues I am having with this board:

1. Hot Plug is NOT working on any of the eSATA ports. I have not tested Hot Plug on the internal ports as I do not need them to be Hot Plug.

2. The USB ports sometimes do not function at all upon initial bootup into Windows 10 - sometimes it is just the mouse and other times it is the keyboard as well. Unplugging and re-plugging the device into the same port usually works. Sometimes I have to switch ports to get it to work.

3. the USB 3.0 ports sometimes just don't work at all. A hard shutdown usually fixes it.

Ok, so did the BIOS flashback (version 0902) for this X79-Deluxe.

Looks like "Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS are to use XMP and overclock the CPU a bit. Is this normal for this board?

Hot Plug for the eSATA ports looks to still not work either. I tried it with two different adapters, one that I know works with eSATA Hot Plug on my work laptop.

Does it maybe have to do with the Win10 drivers not supporting Hot Plug?

Check the TPU/EPU switches are not enabled. For the eSATA issue, you may want to contact support and create a ticket. May not be something they will patch at this stage.

Check the TPU/EPU switches are not enabled. For the eSATA issue, you may want to contact support and create a ticket. May not be something they will patch at this stage.

The TPU switch was on 1 instead of off. I must have bumped it when I was doing something else.

Pretty sure the eSATA thing is because of drivers.. and I really doubt that ASMedia is going to release any new drivers for that chipset.

EDIT: The ASMEDIA SATA drivers on ASUS' site are version 3.1.6.0. I found a couple new driver sets on station-drivers. 3.1.7.0 and 3.1.8.0. The 3.1.8.0 driver set works with hot plug. I did not try the 3.1.7.0 set.
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=1883&lang=en

RAJA, maybe let the appropriate people know that the ASMEDIA SATA driver need to be updated on the ASUS site.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the location of the Motherboard/System temperature sensors on this board?

I'm trying to figure out how appropriate it would be to auto-control a fan off of the case fan connectors.

Raja, I just did a fresh install of windows 10 on my Sabretooth x79.

I got a TON of "Base System Device"s when I checked device manager. Any ideas what this could be?
cB4Vv7L.png

Back