ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

What do you guys think of the Asus X79-DELUXE vs the Asus SABERTOOTH X79? I already regret buying the 4770k and I am going to return it to get a X79 so I can Tri Fire since I went ahead and got a 3rd 290 anyways. In terms of looks the X79 Deluxe is better to me, but they are so close in price at Microcenter I cant choose between the two. The only other choice at MC is the EVGA X79 Dark.

i am loving my X79 deluxe, had it about 1 month and it is really a nice board, so many options for over clocking that i am still trying to figure it out.

i liked the fact that it is updated for my 4930K

I like my Deluxe X79 board, maybe my expectations were a bit too high at first and found myself sticking to a moderate O.C for greater stability. Overall powerful performance with all 6 cores fully at work rendering in Maya, I can do much more in less time, thumbs up for me!

I like my Deluxe X79 board, maybe my expectations were a bit too high at first and found myself sticking to a moderate O.C for greater stability. Overall powerful performance with all 6 cores fully at work rendering in Maya, I can do much more in less time, thumbs up for me!

Well I returned my 4770k and MSI Mpower for a 4930K and the X79 Deluxe board. Its working pretty well right now. All of the Sata ports work on this one! Only sad thing was it was the only one at my MC and it was Open box, but they gave my $50 off and combined with the $50 off with a CPU this board cost me $250 so I saw fit to buy the replacement plan at MC in case anything happens I wont have the pleasure of possible having a nightmare with Asus RMA.

Skibum

tFAW (four activate window) to 30

All third timings set to 6 apart from tCCD and tCCDWR which you can leave at default.

Restarting is odd - could be IRST, but the fact it does not do it at DDR3-1600 means we have to eliminate memory from the mix by slackining off timings.

Try VCCSA at 1.15V as well.

FYI: I'm pretty sure the problem lies with my CPU. During Prime95, core #0 is much slower than all the other cores and sometimes won't pass at all. So I set the memory, manually to 1866mhz and set the CPU for "per core" instead of "sync all cores" and I haven't had a restarting problem since.
Now, to get in touch with Intel about this processor.
Thought I'd let you know what I figured out. It took awhile.

If the CPU is at "stock", then try disabling multicore enhance in UEFI. If it still fails Prime( and you are using the latest version of Prime), and it also fails at DDR3-1600, then you have a case to contact Intel with.

@ Raja:

New Rampage IV Black user here. Although I am using a 3930k Sandy Bridge-E CPU. I have found that you really need to tweak a lot of settings to keep overclocks stable vs the Extreme/Rampage original mobos. Also that 1Mhz "bug" with the newer BIOSs on the Extreme/Rampage/Genie has carried over to the Black as well.

Will ASUS be providing ongoing BIOS support for the Black and not just towards Ivy Bridge E optimization?

The board is optimized around Ivy-E (memory controller stuff mainly). What did you need to change - and which memory modules are you using? I'm not expecting any OC related changes to be made going forwards for the SNB-E CPUs, only functional bugs. You'll need to give me something I can point HQ at regarding the 1MHz situation (be complete as you can and provide images as well if possible please).

The board is optimized around Ivy-E (memory controller stuff mainly). What did you need to change - and which memory modules are you using? I'm not expecting any OC related changes to be made going forwards for the SNB-E CPUs, only functional bugs. You'll need to give me something I can point HQ at regarding the 1MHz situation (be complete as you can and provide images as well if possible please).

I haven't heard of a 1MHz bug either. Then again I haven't had many problems with these boards and thus haven't gone forum searching to find them. Though I have found that these X79 boards are fickle about memory.

Hi Raja,

The 1Mhz bug is the CPU showing up in the Windows System section. Right click on My Computer->Properties. Under the list of system specs it will show Processor, but read speed as 1Mhz. Others with Sandy Bridge E CPUs have reported this. HT is on and so is Turbo. I run with C states disabled as well as SpeedStep disabled.

I am using G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX Trident X Series 16GB PC3 1866 8-9-9-24. I am running at 1866 8-9-9-24 1.6v stable on the memory.

I have found with my 3930k on the Black that the Auto settings are not properly tuning to SB-E. For example, I had to manually adjust the VTT and VCCSA to keep my system stable beyond 40x100+. I never had to do this with the Rampage Formula IV.

By default the VTT and VCCSA were not auto tuning their voltages up correctly enough to keep overclocks stable. This would result in automatic restarts in Windows. Once I went manual with these settings I was able to get a stable overclock of 45x100=4500Ghz. Even though I solved this, I want to report it as what is the point of having Auto if it isn't really doing its job? Some people rely on the Auto settings for things they don't fully understand.

Last edited:
I'm seeing the 1mhz bug as well, it seemed to manifest recently, but I don't know if it started with 8.1 and 2012 R2, or with a recent bios update as I don't pay attention to these read-outs much. BIOS has the CPU running at 40x multiplier, so 4.0Ghz. HWiNFO, and other utilities show the correct speed. Running 2012 R2 right now, but it happens on 8.1 as well iirc. Board is P9X79 WS with the latest bios (4404) and a 3930K. pics:

sysinfo.jpg

taskman.jpg

Hi Raja,

The 1Mhz bug is the CPU showing up in the Windows System section. Right click on My Computer->Properties. Under the list of system specs it will show Processor, but read speed as 1Mhz. Others with Sandy Bridge E CPUs have reported this. HT is on and so is Turbo. I run with C states disabled as well as SpeedStep disabled.

I am using G.SKILL F3-1866C8D-16GTX Trident X Series 16GB PC3 1866 8-9-9-24. I am running at 1866 8-9-9-24 1.6v stable on the memory.

I have found with my 3930k on the Black that the Auto settings are not properly tuning to SB-E. For example, I had to manually adjust the VTT and VCCSA to keep my system stable beyond 40x100+. I never had to do this with the Rampage Formula IV.

By default the VTT and VCCSA were not auto tuning their voltages up correctly enough to keep overclocks stable. This would result in automatic restarts in Windows. Once I went manual with these settings I was able to get a stable overclock of 45x100=4500Ghz. Even though I solved this, I want to report it as what is the point of having Auto if it isn't really doing its job? Some people rely on the Auto settings for things they don't fully understand.

The auto scaling is for Ivy_E, so that makes sense. Users upgrading to the board for SNB-E are in the minority and I'll deal with the support cases online if they need help tuning.

I've reported the 1MHz situation to HQ. Not sure that's our fault or MS's right now. If it's ours I'll push them to patch.

EDIT: speed reporting will be patched in a furture UEFI update for the X79 boards. Apparently this is related to EIST being disabled somehow. Don't have an ETA for the fix, but it's in the pipeline.

Last edited:
@Raja:

Good to hear it will be patched.

What would you recommend for Vcore MOS Volt Control at 45x100 ? I currently have this set to 7.5V

Leave it at that No point in moving it outside that as FETs for VRMs are in their optimum range there.

Hi Raja,

That's an interesting bug I hadn't heard of or seen before.

It's been my experience that the RAM used creates a lot of variation in this. I've had three different sets of modules on my Rampage IV Extreme and what needed to be done for stability seemed to vary quite a bit. The DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance modules I used initially just didn't work right and I switched to some Patriot Viper modules which worked better, but required manual adjustment of the VCCSA voltage for stability above a 40x multiplier.

Ideally the automatic settings should work, and typically on ASUS motherboards they do. I believe the memory controller to be primarily at fault here as these things are more fickle about memory and memory related settings than anything I've seen in the past.

Leave it at that No point in moving it outside that as FETs for VRMs are in their optimum range there.

Okay. Any other tweaks you can suggest?
I have my CPU VCORE under 1.4v with Load-line set to High. VTT/VCCSA both are under 1.2v (have heard it is best to not go over 1.2v here). PLL is under 1.9v. CPU current set to 150%. VCCSA current set to 130%. Memory current set to 130%.

I'd leave the DIGI+ section.

CPU PLL, I'd prolly try at 1.80V - if still stable, no point in over-voltage there.

You can try fiddling with BCLK skew up or down in 1 step increments/decrements and see if it helps you lower CPU Vcore (it won't be much more than 0.02V, but seeing as you wanna try tweaking things...)

on the Hero boards, the manual contradicts its self.

when using 2 sticks of ram, on page 1-9, it says use slots A2 and B2 for best comparability.
then on page 1-22, ti says to use A1 and B1.

so which is it? im hoping for A2 and B2 so i can put some taller ram in, and not have to worry about it clearing my heatsink.

I'd leave the DIGI+ section.

CPU PLL, I'd prolly try at 1.80V - if still stable, no point in over-voltage there.

You can try fiddling with BCLK skew up or down in 1 step increments/decrements and see if it helps you lower CPU Vcore (it won't be much more than 0.02V, but seeing as you wanna try tweaking things...)

Thanks.

BTW:

Looks like quite a few others are reporting of random reboots with the Black:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1444356/official-asus-rampage-iv-black-edition-owners-club/2040

No BSOD error, just reboots. Even though they bench Prime stable. You could perhaps pass this along to HQ?

on the Hero boards, the manual contradicts its self.

when using 2 sticks of ram, on page 1-9, it says use slots A2 and B2 for best comparability.
then on page 1-22, ti says to use A1 and B1.

so which is it? im hoping for A2 and B2 so i can put some taller ram in, and not have to worry about it clearing my heatsink.

You are in the wrong thread but I'll respond anyway. Use A1 and B1 if you can.

Thanks.

BTW:

Looks like quite a few others are reporting of random reboots with the Black:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1444356/official-asus-rampage-iv-black-edition-owners-club/2040

No BSOD error, just reboots. Even though they bench Prime stable. You could perhaps pass this along to HQ?

They need to post on ROG Forums if they want such support (better on ROG coswe can atleast track users by region there). Tell them to start a thread and list all system specifics (all UEFI changes, parts used etc.). Can't be sending HQ on a goose chase with partial info. Incorrectly set DRAM voltages and VCCSA can cause reBOOTs with some modules rather than BSOD as well.

Last edited:
My Deluxe X79 was pretty stable for a couple of days rendering away (tuned via software Auto-Optimizer), but started to BSOD on me over the weekend again. Frustrated I tried a different approach, changed the TPU switch on the mobo to the extreme setting, now my CPU is running at 4.13MHz and not 3.2MHz and sadly shows a 21% speedup oppose to the previous 25% under Asus suite. I understand any change either on the motherboard's TPU switch or bios overrides the previous software Auto-Optimizer settings, thus running it afterwards again will then take preference over any bios or motherboard's TPU switch changes. Leaving it at the TPU swich to extreme as the last OC setting, it seems to be stable again but with a slight lower score in Cinebench, however the "Power Saving" mode seems to be MUCH slower than tuned via software Auto-Optimizer. I will keep it on the TPU hardware switch change for a while and not sure what to do if it start BSOD on me again.

Last edited:
If you are getting BSODs chances are you need to make a few changes to settings in UEFI. I would try a manual OC with no auto tuning or TPU to compare. Start at 4.3GHz and work from there.

If you are getting BSODs chances are you need to make a few changes to settings in UEFI. I would try a manual OC with no auto tuning or TPU to compare. Start at 4.3GHz and work from there.
I would not know where to start further than hitting F2 on startup, now that I can do. Hope to get a Dummy's Guide To Asus UEFI and OC for xmas, or even a youtube video would be nice :D

Check ROG forums for guides. You can follow the easy OC guide on the Rampage IV board to start.

I would not know where to start further than hitting F2 on startup, now that I can do. Hope to get a Dummy's Guide To Asus UEFI and OC for xmas, or even a youtube video would be nice :D

For what's it worth, I found this youtube video that shed some light on basic overclocking for noobs like me, and best yet, it's all done on the Asus X79 mobo with 4930k CPU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeNdZNqcJe0

Please give it a watch and comment should his method of overclocking be accurate and trustworthy. I've yet to grow some b**ls to give manual OC a go.

Last edited:
I had a few minutes last night to start my first manual OC

All cores synced:

43 @ 1.33v & 1.34v = BSOD on Windows startup

43 @ 1.35v = Stable 7 min Maya scene render @ 100% load on all cores peaks at 69 deg C, Eisberg Rad fans set at 1500RPM

44 @ 1.35v, 1.36v, 1.37, 1.375 BSOD

44 @ 1.38v Stable 7 min Maya scene render @ 100% load on all cores peaks at 71 deg C, Eisberg Rad fans set at 1500RPM
I will also run Prime95 for 2 hours hopefully tonight to see if this OC holds.

I want to try 45 @ 1.38v but have my doubts, I'm not sure if I should try 45 @ 1.39v - 1.40v, do I stand a chance of damaging the CPU in the long run should it even run vCore that high?

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread! Anyway, decided to format since onboard sound was not working. It still is not working.

Problem began when I SLI'd my Titans(SLI 780 classies now). When I plugged the second card in, the sound decided to quit after restart. I went through series of audio drivers and still nothing. I ended up buying a sound card, but I want to figure out why my onboard sound pooped out on me.
I am about to take the system apart to make sure there is nothing touching that is not suppose to be touching.

Just noticed this thread! Anyway, decided to format since onboard sound was not working. It still is not working.

Problem began when I SLI'd my Titans(SLI 780 classies now). When I plugged the second card in, the sound decided to quit after restart. I went through series of audio drivers and still nothing. I ended up buying a sound card, but I want to figure out why my onboard sound pooped out on me.
I am about to take the system apart to make sure there is nothing touching that is not suppose to be touching.
If you remove the second GFX card, does your onboard sound come back? I've never been a huge fan of onboard sound, I had an ESI Juli@ homestudio soundcard in my old pc, but now need to get the PCI-E version as I can't use the PCI card in my new X79-Deluxe. A decent soundcard with large phono jacks to input a guitar, mic or synth and with good low-latency ASIO drivers, but it's definitely not a gaming soundcard, Asus has a decent range of gaming soundcards.

Last edited:
If you remove the second GFX card, does your onboard sound come back? I've never been a huge fan of onboard sound, I had an ESI Juli@ homestudio soundcard in my old pc, but now need to get the PCI-E version as I can't use the PCI card in my new X79-Deluxe. A decent card with large phono jacks to input a guitar, mic or synth and with good low-latency ASIO drivers.

No, I wish it came back.

I bought a creative Z, but it's in the way of the ACX fan! I though about selling the mobo and getting the new Asus w/ built in sound card, but don't want to sell a board if something is wrong with it.

I had a few minutes last night to start my first manual OC

All cores synced:

43 @ 1.33v & 1.34v = BSOD on Windows startup

43 @ 1.35v = Stable 7 min Maya scene render @ 100% load on all cores peaks at 69 deg C, Eisberg Rad fans set at 1500RPM

44 @ 1.35v, 1.36v, 1.37, 1.375 BSOD

44 @ 1.38v Stable 7 min Maya scene render @ 100% load on all cores peaks at 71 deg C, Eisberg Rad fans set at 1500RPM
I will also run Prime95 for 2 hours hopefully tonight to see if this OC holds.

I want to try 45 @ 1.38v but have my doubts, I'm not sure if I should try 45 @ 1.39v - 1.40v, do I stand a chance of damaging the CPU in the long run should it even run vCore that high?

I'd stick with 4.3GHz for a while, see how stable the system is in your everyday tasks for a few weeks. Then decide if you want to push further. Cannot answer how long CPUs last when OC'd - it's one of those variables which one can only guess at. Logic tells us that the closer we stay to stock parameters, the longer a CPU should theoretically last.

I'd stick with 4.3GHz for a while, see how stable the system is in your everyday tasks for a few weeks. Then decide if you want to push further. Cannot answer how long CPUs last when OC'd - it's one of those variables which one can only guess at. Logic tells us that the closer we stay to stock parameters, the longer a CPU should theoretically last.
Thanks, I will set it back tonight at 4.3Ghz, and see how it handles prolonged 24/7 renders without BSOD on me again. I'm pretty happy with 4.3Ghz, this will then also allow me to tone down a tad on the rad fans, or get some quieter rad fans at 1500RPM. The Noctua NF-F12 seems to be a good performance to noise ratio balanced fan, but need two for the Eisberg, ouch.

Last edited:
I'm back at 4.3 @ 1.3V and rad fans on 1300RPM. CPU temperature peaking at 65 - 69 deg Celcius on 100% load with a 7 minute render in Maya, no BSOD so far.

Seems that the 4.4GHz @ 1.38 voltage applied earlier made the cpu better somehow, I am now able to drop the voltage below 1.34 to 1.3 where it first BSOD on 4.3GHz, not sure if this is possible?

Last edited:
If the CPU BSOD with that level of Vcore before, it will be at risk of BSOD there again. The 1.38 wont have made the CPU "better" in this way.

If the CPU BSOD with that level of Vcore before, it will be at risk of BSOD there again. The 1.38 wont have made the CPU "better" in this way.
I ran prime95 for about two hours last night on 4.3GHz @ 1.30V, max temp at 75 deg C. is that a good voltage and temp for 4.3? No errors or BSOD.

As long as the system is stable, the require voltage for this clock speed is fine.

Back