Mark ea of the 4 sticks as A,B,C,D
Place sticks AB only in slots A1 B1 per mobo manual diagram
Try that
Place sticks CD only in slots A1 B1
Try that
Try same but with slots A2 B2 instead
See what happens

Voltage monitoring sw only gives an average reading per designated time unit
You would need an oscilliscope to see a blip when HDD kicks in.

ASUS has just released new BIOS for Ivy-E and their Rampage line. The new BIOS also features a new UEFI UEI layout.

Looks like the voltage is handled a little different with BIOS 4310. I had to increase my voltage a little bit to keep my current overclock stable.

Just updated my X79 Sabertooth's BIOS from 1104 to 2002, and from that to 4210.

Intel RSTe has taken a dump. The icon shows up in the system tray but opening it results in a prompt that says "An unknown error occurred while running this application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application."

I tried uninstalling it and installing the newest version from Asus' website... same problem. My Raid 1 seems to be intact so far... but I'd like the ability to monitor it and make sure everything is alright.

Also, before when the computer would boot up, it would be: POST screen -> RAID status screen (with opportunity to edit RAID settings) -> windows boot. Now it goes directly from POST to Windows. Even tried spamming CTRL+I and CTRL+H (I think it was one of those to get into the RAID settings) during boot up and I still can't get into the settings now.

How does Intel/Asus expect me to configure my RAID now? With Windows and an utility that doesn't work anymore?!

(I must also admit with the BIOS update, windows was quite a bit cranky booting up at first. the device manager re-finding ACPI chips or whatever. I must also be forgetting some voltage or speed setting because running my ram at the full 1600MHz doesn't seem possible right now).

Figured out the RAID problem. Forgot to change the drives from AHCI to RAID in the bios! D'oh.

Reverified the RAID... 800 some parity errors but my data seems intact... the only thing messed up is the Open/Save dialogue in Chrome, the favorites on the left don't appear correctly.

Got my OC stable again and actually pushed it further this time after reading some guides. Good enough!

I have not been in here for a while but alas, I am once again building a new rig. My present rig is an i7 920 in a Rampage II and it still runs fine.
I want to build the new one with the X-79 and the upcoming Ivy-E 4930. I would appreciate some opinions and guidance.
My priorities for this rig are
1. Performance (but not extreme OC) and reliability
2. Stability
4. Then and only then price. (price is not a big factor unless all else is equal)

I am favoring the Rampage IV. It is not that I am going to OC to the extreme, perhaps 20% but I am, looking for the absolute best reliability and stability. Since I have not been following the details of new components for the last few years I am looking for some advice and comments and a few simple answers.
A. Would you choose the R-45 or the Sabertooth X-79?
B. Are these MOBO's ready for the 4930?
C. Can I set two RAID 0 arrays? i.e. I want a pair of Samsung 256 840 Pro's in RAID 0 for boot/OS and programs/apps and a pair of either WD RE4 1 Tb HDDS or a pair of 1 Tb Raptors in Raid 0 for data. Will this work and do any of you have any comments?
D. Any other comments or suggestions?

(It is good to be back in here :) )

I have not been in here for a while but alas, I am once again building a new rig. My present rig is an i7 920 in a Rampage II and it still runs fine.
I want to build the new one with the X-79 and the upcoming Ivy-E 4930. I would appreciate some opinions and guidance.
2. Stability
4. Then and only then price. (price is not a big factor unless all else is equal)

I am favoring the Rampage IV. It is not that I am going to OC to the extreme, perhaps 20% but I am, looking for the absolute best reliability and stability. Since I have not been following the details of new components for the last few years I am looking for some advice and comments and a few simple answers.
C. Can I set two RAID 0 arrays? i.e. I want a pair of Samsung 256 840 Pro's in RAID 0 for boot/OS and programs/apps and a pair of either WD RE4 1 Tb HDDS or a pair of 1 Tb Raptors in Raid 0 for data. Will this work and do any of you have any comments?

Have you looked at the P9X79 WS-E? I've found my P9X79 WS to be very reliable, and I think it's a priority on that motherboard.

I'm having some trouble getting my P9X79-D system to boot.
It was working fine for months until I had to move it to do something to my desk. After putting the machine back on the desk and reconnecting everything I noticed a strange behavior where the computer would go into sleep mode whenever windows would turn off the monitor for idle (windows is configured to only turn off the monitor after a certain time but never go into sleep mode).
This morning, the computer would no longer boot, it would stick on a black screen with "b2" status on the led display. I read that this is due to a corrupted bios so I updated the bios. Now, the status led ends at "A2" which is apparently the OK status, but:
- I still get a black screen trying to boot -- it shows the asus logo and the list of drives then goes black
- I get a black screen trying to enter the bios 99% of the time. Rarely, it works. Once in the bios, I often get a black screen trying to enter advanced mode.

I can re flash the same version of the bios I was previously using and nothing changes. I found some people saying this kind of issue is a problem with the monitor but the bios has both worked and not worked with all 4 monitors I tried (1600p lcd, 1080p lcd, low-res lcd, and a crt) and all of the outputs on my GTX 680.
I've tried clearing the CMOS and not clearing the CMOS after each bios update but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Can't run memtest because the black screen freeze happens before it tries to boot anything.
I've tried re-seating the RAM and video card too.

Rarely, instead of the drive list coming up, immediately after the asus logo I will get a screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device". But in the rare occasion I can get into the bios, the boot order seems to be the same as when everything was working. And when the drive list does come up it correctly identifies my RAID1.

Can you recommend an approach to this problem?

2. Stability

Hi. Why do you want to invest in X79 now when Haswell is out?
Is it because of the quad channel support and six core?
If I was to buy now, I would get i7 4770K, GTX780 and 2400 Mhz CL9 memory, but that is just me...

I'm having some trouble getting my P9X79-D system to boot.
It was working fine for months until I had to move it to do something to my desk. After putting the machine back on the desk and reconnecting everything I noticed a strange behavior

I've tried re-seating the RAM and video card too.

Rarely, instead of the drive list coming up, immediately after the asus logo I will get a screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device". But in the rare occasion I can get into the bios, the boot order seems to be the same as when everything was working. And when the drive list does come up it correctly identifies my RAID1.

Can you recommend an approach to this problem?

Did you also check/reseat sata and psu connections?

Hi. Why do you want to invest in X79 now when Haswell is out?
Is it because of the quad channel support and six core?
If I was to buy now, I would get i7 4770K, GTX780 and 2400 Mhz CL9 memory, but that is just me...

Yes, I want the HT six cores. I use some multi threaded programs such as Sony Vegas Etc and I want all the processing power and bandwidth I can get. I also have absolutely no need for the integrated graphics in Haswell. I agree on the GTX 780 and I plan on a pair of them to run my three 1920 X 1200 monitors in 5760 X 1200 surround. Right now, today, the X79 seems to be the most powerful component set,. In a year and a half with SB-E 8 core out we will see.

Hi Raja,
So is the Rampage IV ready for the i7 4930 cpu? I am probably going to one of each :)

Yes, I want the HT six cores. I use some multi threaded programs such as Sony Vegas Etc and I want all the processing power and bandwidth I can get. I also have absolutely no need for the integrated graphics in Haswell. I agree on the GTX 780 and I plan on a pair of them to run my three 1920 X 1200 monitors in 5760 X 1200 surround. Right now, today, the X79 seems to be the most powerful component set,. In a year and a half with SB-E 8 core out we will see.

Just wanted to make sure you would get your money's worth. Seems like you are on the right track then. Make sure the motherboard you are buying support PCIe 3.0 and allow for two video cards to operate at 16x as you are planning for two GTX780's.

Always remember though, when you start adding video cards to motherboards if the board is not made for multi-lane PCIe it will hack the primary card down to x8.

Just wanted to make sure you would get your money's worth. Seems like you are on the right track then. Make sure the motherboard you are buying support PCIe 3.0 and allow for two video cards to operate at 16x as you are planning for two GTX780's.

Always remember though, when you start adding video cards to motherboards if the board is not made for multi-lane PCIe it will hack the primary card down to x8.

Yup, my Mobo choice at this time is the Rampage IV as soon as I read that the necessary BIOS updates Etc. for the 4900 series are working well.

Check the GPU is seated properly in the PCIe slot.
It seems to be. In fact I also moved the video card to the other x16 PCIe slot and made sure it was well seated there too but no difference.

Last edited:
Do you have any other GPUs you can try or can you test that the GPU is working?

-Raja

Do you have any other GPUs you can try or can you test that the GPU is working?
-Raja
It will take me some time to determine that. In the meantime, there has been an interesting development:
The computer was plugged into a UPS (APC XS 1500). I tried plugging it directly into the wall... and suddenly both boot and bios work fine -- except I would always get a BSOD 10 seconds after logging in to windows complaining about the USB3 driver. I fixed that by reinstalling the USB3 driver (not the first time that has happened) and now everything works great
...but only without any USB devices plugged in save for keyboard and mouse. However, I tried each one individually and no single USB device seems to be preventing the boot. It seems as though the chance of a successful boot goes down as I plug more devices in. With everything in (using all of my rear usb ports) it is guaranteed to freeze either at the drive list screen, or at a black screen right after the drive list (or at a black screen trying to get into the bios). But with only the keyboard and mouse plugged in, it works fine every time.

Swapping the power cable didn't change anything.

I noticed that in my bios flashing I had ended back up at the version I started on. I saw that some later versions said "enhances usb device compatibility" so I decided to update it one last time. Windows gave a BSOD about "irql_not_lass_than_or_equal" (might need to reinstall Windows to update to that version?) so I reverted the bios to the last one that worked... and now I still get a BSOD, but a generic one this time not mentioning any error code or driver. BIOS menu still works and I was able to boot memtest (running now) so I think Windows may have suffered some driver confusion from the bios version changing under it.

irql less than BSODs can also be memory instability. Which memory kit do you have (part number) and how many sticks?

irql less than BSODs can also be memory instability. Which memory kit do you have (part number) and how many sticks?
I have a Mushkin 994029 which is a 8GB kit of 4 sticks.
Memtest ran for about 10 hours with no errors.

Memtest does not always catch every type of error, so I'd check within the OS with a stringent stress application. In fact I'd even go down to running two modules for a while to debug where the issue lies. You are going to have to go therough thsi systematically to find out why the system is locking up. A faulty PSU, memory or some other bizarre issue etc.

I agree, try the minimum number of modules you can and see if any of them stop your BSOD. I once had the same issue and it turned out to be one module that caused it. Once I identified the culprit I could turn the problem on and off at will (which is the only way you really know that was it) by just adding the offending module into and then out of the mix.

I tried it with only the first two sticks, then only the other two sticks, then each stick one at a time, but still got the BSOD just before the login screen would have appeared.
In a few days I'll be able to get my spare PSU and GPU to swap in.
Btw, what memory testing apps would you consider "stringent"? I've only seen recommendations for memtest and other apps that seem very similar

My experiences with Memtest is that if it says a module is bad then it is but sometimes it shows good and in fact it is not.
If I were at the point you are I would check the PSU (with a tester or sub another one) and then it would be time to really suspect the Mobo.

i am having a hard time finding a way to make windows detect my sound device.
in device manager there is no sound device present, so i suppose the problem is not with the driver since windows can not see any sound hardware at all? i am running windows 7 and my system specs are
mobo : asus rampage iv extreme
proc : 3930k
ram : corsair vengeance 2x8gb
gpu : 8600gt
psu : corsair AX1200
cooling : Thermaltake water 2.0 extreme

I'd try manually installing the drivers for the sound chip, after double checking the jumpers and bios settings. You might have it disabled in bios...

ive checked it in bios, the audio is enabled. i dont think there are any jumpers to enable or disable audio.
and how do i manually install drivers when there is no hardware detected in the device driver ? however i did install the realtek drivers both from the mobo dvd and from asus site, also updated the bios to most recent version.

Is the internal audio enabled? If so could that be why it is not seeing your add in card? (just a guess)

sorry Baer i do not understand what you mean. the audio is enabled in bios but the hardware is not detected. the soundcard is on board and not an add on card.

Oh, sorry. I was thinking that you had added a Creative or Asus or similar add on sound card. So in Sound in control panel or in device manager you do not see a sound device of any kind? This is still the case when you reload the driver? If so I would call Asus support 1-812-282-2787 in the USA.

no mate i do not see any sound device at all, neither in sound control panel nor in device manager. i am not in US, looks like ill have to send the motherboard to service center.

down load a Linux live dvd and see if your sound works. Just get one of the desktop versions from here and burn it on a dvd and give it a try, if it works on Linux then your windows install is probably messed up
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

ive checked it in bios, the audio is enabled. i dont think there are any jumpers to enable or disable audio.
and how do i manually install drivers when there is no hardware detected in the device driver ? however i did install the realtek drivers both from the mobo dvd and from asus site, also updated the bios to most recent version.

thanks for the suggestion Rody, i didnt try Linux but i just tried booting the system in windows 8, i installed windows 8 on a usb external hdd and booted the system into windows 8, and same problem. it just can not detect any sound hardware. i guess its pretty certain that the problem is with motherboard, isnt it?

is your RE4 a new build?
Do you have HD Audio enabled in bios?
Can you make screenshots of device manager/sound video and game controllers (opened) and Win 8/7 sound front page in cntrl panel
The Realtek sound chip is at the lower left of the mobo (see manual schematic) - is any of your water cooling hardware near the top/side of chip?
What type speakers do you plan to use? (Rear green port?)
Have you ever tried to insert/remove mini-plug into rear sound ports while PSU still plugged in?

Back