ASUS - Official AMD 9xx Chipset Series Motherboard Support

Raja.
I reformatted the Vista drive.NTFS. I then tried to reinstall Vista, get a message "this drive is incompatible EFI must be GTE or GTP , some thing like that. Should have written it down!
Tried both 74GB raptors, same message. Using WD utility wrote Zeros patterns to the Vista drive, reformatted. Looked at the vista drive properties and found it had a trash can on it with an MBR file in it??? I have no idea how that can happen, Will get a WD Black 1TB and run FSX in compate mode, Win 7 video format is different than Vista. And just wait for a bios update.This system is for Bulldozer anyhow. Have set up a few hundred systems ,never saw this before.
Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

I need to know which USB keyboard and mouse you have (model numbers and revision numbers).

How are you installing Vista, are you trying to do a GPT install?

-Raja

Well, surprise, surprise, rma'ed the Crosshair V formula today and what do think the reseller told me:

I was not the first one who rma'ed the board, the usb and bios problems where well known by him!
He told me to get an cheaper board, also 990 chipset, from the competitor which has no problems!

I was using an old Cyberlink remote and usb receiver to control the media center. The usb receiver caused a hang during post every time. When I replaced them with a new cheap remote and usb receiver that are Vista certified my post hang vanished. I'm on Windows 7 x64 and they still work perfectly fine.

I was using an brand new Logitech MK250 keyboard with mouse and the bios hangs with startup, couldn't even get into the bios.
When I replaced them with a new cheap ps/2 keyboard and usb mouse that are Vista certified my post hang where even worser I'm on Windows 7 x64 and they still work badly.

In addition to what I've already described, I've a Logitech G9x mouse and a Logitech Illuminated keyboard (920-000914) plugged into mine. I've no issues beyond what I already noted and resolved in my last post.

I can't wait for BD, I'm rather bored with the OCed 1055T in my AMD rig.

Hi,

I need to know which USB keyboard and mouse you have (model numbers and revision numbers).

How are you installing Vista, are you trying to do a GPT install?

-Raja
Raja
The keyboard is Logitech EX100. No ver # I picked up because the HP kbd died, $19.00 @walley world even came with two speakers, small. I use an old Logitech mouse, it uses a USB stick, works anywhere anytime. Use it when building machines, plug in the stick ,it works. I went around the corner, another two walls away to clean the bottom, by buddy said the pointer was jumping all over the screen, GOOD mouse!
Ran across GPT reading WD version of Acronis. Also DLoaded an MS paper on EUFI , have not had time to read it. From what I can see so far, GPT is needed for HD's over 2TB if you want a single partition. I guess EUFI bois's are different in some respects, will read up on the subject.
It may be the EUFI bois that creates or puts the MBR folder in a Trash can on the HD. I'v used that trick to hide files temporarily for safe keeping while fixing other stuff.

This thread will be used to provide official support for ASUS AMD 9** series chipset motherboards. Share your experience, tips tricks and place support/technical queries in this thread please. :)

Grab chipset drivers from here and install these first:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#download

11.5 AHCI Drivers
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/11-5_win7_32-64_ahci.exe

Intel Lan Drivers (Crosshair V Formula)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yaca3j11m6g7c9n/Intel_LAN_V15600_XpVistaWin7.zip

Realtek Lan Drivers
http://www.mediafire.com/file/quq1xnttdjqbc9o/Realtek_LAN_V5782_V6247_V743_XpVistaWin7.zip

Crosshair V Formula beta BIOSes:

Two new beta BIOSes.

Fix improves NB Core frequency stability after making changes in UEFI:

0051 is with S3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ni62jzj34qyjjo/CrosshairV-Formula-ASUS-0051.rar

0052 is without S3, for extreme overclocking:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o2a4dtxbaniybn7/CrosshairV-Formula-ASUS-0052.ROM
Raji,

I noted the link in a prior post was a dead link, I'll post a link where the driver (as well as many more) can be found tomorrow. The dead link was "11.5 AHCI Drivers
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/11-5_win7_32-64_ahci.exe".

I too am having issues on the Crosshair V Formula, with the NIC. Windows won't load drivers for it.
That said, I'm running Win Server 2008, know it's not 'supported' per se. But I've managed to get everything else working. Otherwise it's a smokin' board... ;-)

Raja
The keyboard is Logitech EX100. No ver # I picked up because the HP kbd died, $19.00 @walley world even came with two speakers, small. I use an old Logitech mouse, it uses a USB stick, works anywhere anytime. Use it when building machines, plug in the stick ,it works. I went around the corner, another two walls away to clean the bottom, by buddy said the pointer was jumping all over the screen, GOOD mouse!

Thanks, I just sent this back to HQ who will try to replicate.

-Raja

This thread will be used to provide official support for ASUS AMD 9** series chipset motherboards. Share your experience, tips tricks and place support/technical queries in this thread please. :)

Grab chipset drivers from here and install these first:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#download

11.5 AHCI Drivers
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/11-5_win7_32-64_ahci.exe

Intel Lan Drivers (Crosshair V Formula)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yaca3j11m6g7c9n/Intel_LAN_V15600_XpVistaWin7.zip

Realtek Lan Drivers
http://www.mediafire.com/file/quq1xnttdjqbc9o/Realtek_LAN_V5782_V6247_V743_XpVistaWin7.zip

Crosshair V Formula beta BIOSes:

Two new beta BIOSes.

Fix improves NB Core frequency stability after making changes in UEFI:

0051 is with S3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ni62jzj34qyjjo/CrosshairV-Formula-ASUS-0051.rar

0052 is without S3, for extreme overclocking:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o2a4dtxbaniybn7/CrosshairV-Formula-ASUS-0052.ROM
As promised, the link I referenced is:
http://files.3dnews.org/pub/drivers/ati/
The AHCI driver as well as MANY others can be found there...

tnx

This thread is why I'm buying asus for my next amd build.

Raja.
I got both Win 7-64 and WinXP-64 installed. I must have screwed up the boot in bios.
If I do nothing and let it go thru the boot process I boot into Win 7, no problem.
If I use the F8 option I can go into Win Vista, no problem.
If I use the F8 option to boot into Win 7 I get a massage "Place installation Disk media, choose language and Repair Computer. If I wait a few seconds Windows boot into what is usually the windows boot F8 screen,"Start Windows normally", Etc". If I then wait a second or two it boots Windows normally. The PS2 keyboard and mouse are useless while all the messages are on screen.
This is really no big deal as I now know how it acts and can boot into Vista or Win 7 no problems. The Vista drive is the top drive on the list when using the F8 boot option, which is fine.
It would be nice I think "IF" one could rename a drive from WD-5000=-1RAR or what ever it is to Win 7-64 in easy mode. Maybe asking a lot their.
Thanks for all your help. It's good of you to be here for us.
Flywheel

Hi Flywheel,

It sounds like a Win 7 MBR issue yet again. Windows 7 is a PITA for placement of the MBR when multiple OS installations are detected. If Win 7 detects that it does not have a priority MBR it throws up this error and then if you do follow the installation repair it will change the boot menu and MBR placement if need be so that Win 7 is always the priority.

Bottom line is, when you want to use Win 7, you won't really be pressing F8 to access the boot menu because Win 7 is at the top of the boot order in UEFI.

-Raja

Hi Flywheel,

It sounds like a Win 7 MBR issue yet again. Windows 7 is a PITA for placement of the MBR when multiple OS installations are detected. If Win 7 detects that it does not have a priority MBR it throws up this error and then if you do follow the installation repair it will change the boot menu and MBR placement if need be so that Win 7 is always the priority.

Bottom line is, when you want to use Win 7, you won't really be pressing F8 to access the boot menu because Win 7 is at the top of the boot order in UEFI.

-Raja
Hi Raja
Of course your correct. I did notice those messages finally went away when using F8 to boot into Vista. Don't know why? From time to time Windows seems to fix itself.
Bottom line is all is well! Do nothing Win 7, Use F8 Vista,
Thanks again
Flywheel.

Any news on linux distro install ? If someone managed to install and run it with mouse and keyboard support, please let me know.

I tried all the usb options in bios, but maybe it's the kernel which don't interact correctly with the mobo or simply my logitech mouse and keyboards which block something. There must be workarounds though gparted live usb is fully working, Argh, win 7 is working great but I miss linux.

Very frustrated any one have driver that will let my Raid 0 be shown during the W7 install partitioning...Drivers on CD and asus site haven't been working.

What might Cause my drivers to not even to be accepted?
I used the asus cd and website. also made a disk and wrote it on usb flash drive...nothing works.

Boot priority is
CD
RAID

Last edited:
my pc boots the bois ( well it shows the ROG picture 2 times ) 2 times under boot up.
first ROG and then it goes to black screen and on the bottom of the 4 or 5 lines it says "no device's found" and goes back to ROG pic again and then boots up to windows.
im shure one did have the same problem erlier on this tread and he did not get enny ansver posted in the forum if im not wrong.

i tried to upload a pic but it wont let me go to advanced options so i can do so.

Last edited:
my pc boots the bois ( well it shows the ROG picture 2 times ) 2 times under boot up.
first ROG and then it goes to black screen and on the bottom of the 4 or 5 lines it says "no device's found" and goes back to ROG pic again and then boots up to windows.
im shure one did have the same problem erlier on this tread and he did not get enny ansver posted in the forum if im not wrong.

i tried to upload a pic but it wont let me go to advanced options so i can do so.

That's normal behaviour. You can cut down boot time by disabling controllers you do not use.

-Raja

Hey Raja, I got it figured out. User mistake.(me)

Thanks for being on forum to help other people out though. Ive done alot of computers but this one is little on tricky side - Definitely not motherboard for your first build lol.

Good morning,

I am having this very odd issue on my brand new Crosshair V, and I can't seem to get it resolved.

Currently I am running GSkill F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL in a 2x4GB config. Now when I push the RAM speed up near or past 2000 it cuts my ram in half, I have tried everything from drive strength tweaking, DRAM timming tweaking, DRAM Voltage tweaking, and last but not least flashing to 0051 BIOS, so far nothing.

I am running a X4 970 BE, if you where wondering. Also I am having some OCing issues with this board too, I have gotten this chip stable at 4250 at 1.5v on my older 790GX Gigabyte board, running prime95 for 24 hours.

Any help, tips, tricks would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The 0051 Bios has stablized my OC's better. I can now handle 4100 with out problem.

Edit: Also my BSOD's are A Clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.
I know, it's a BSOD with a vague explaination. :D
Thank you

Last edited:
Clock interrupt issues may need more Vcore.

Did you manage to get that DRAM stable at DDR3-2000 on your older motherboard?

The AGESA code for the 9 series boards is designed with Bulldozer in mind, and does not suit older CPUs for outright overclocking. Thre is not much we can do about this, the timing offsets for signaling are completely different as AMD have optimised for Bulldozer.

-Raja

Clock interrupt issues may need more Vcore.

Did you manage to get that DRAM stable at DDR3-2000 on your older motherboard?

The AGESA code for the 9 series boards is designed with Bulldozer in mind, and does not suit older CPUs for outright overclocking. Thre is not much we can do about this, the timing offsets for signaling are completely different as AMD have optimised for Bulldozer.

-Raja

To answer your 2nd question, no. I was running a 790GX board with DDR2-800 in a 4x2 config.

Now I was able to get my 4.2ghz mark by kinda copying my old boards config (Funny is it worked). But no DDR3-2000+, I am currently sitting at 1700 with a FSB at 216x19.5, for whatever reason this chip does not want to be at 4.2 at anything other than a FSB of either 210 or 216.

Oh well, I got this board for Bulldozer anyways, so I not having a sore ass over this. :D

I had sudden power loss three times through hurricane Irene while my AMD computer was on yet my RAID 0 array on my Crosshair V stayed intact and my OS didn't corrupt. I'm happy about that.

I'm still eagerly awaiting BD.

How do you get the keyboard to work during the boot process? I can use the keyboard to get into the bios fine, but when Windows loads it doesn't work until the password screen. So every time Windows loads I have to wait 30 seconds at the choose OS to load screen as I have my old Win 7 install on another drive. It used to work fine before I had to reset the bios one day.

Thank you!

Keyboard and mouse work great in the bios screen.

How do you get the keyboard to work during the boot process? I can use the keyboard to get into the bios fine, but when Windows loads it doesn't work until the password screen. So every time Windows loads I have to wait 30 seconds at the choose OS to load screen as I have my old Win 7 install on another drive. It used to work fine before I had to reset the bios one day.

Thank you!

Keyboard and mouse work great in the bios screen.

i'm having this same issue w/the sabertooth i received and configured yesterday. kb + mouse are fine in bios (i'm utterly enamored with the graphical bios, btw) but the keyboard refuses to work when i try to get in to safe mode, or select any entries from the boot menu. i've plugged it in to a few different ports w/the same result. i don't have a ps/2 keyboard on hand to try that, but i'd wager based on what i've read elsewhere that it'd work.

i'm having this same issue w/the sabertooth i received and configured yesterday. kb + mouse are fine in bios (i'm utterly enamored with the graphical bios, btw) but the keyboard refuses to work when i try to get in to safe mode, or select any entries from the boot menu. i've plugged it in to a few different ports w/the same result. i don't have a ps/2 keyboard on hand to try that, but i'd wager based on what i've read elsewhere that it'd work.

make sure its in a USB 2.0 port

Interesting, i had issues with the keyboard/mouse not working in windows during install process for that reason (USB3 drivers were not included in my disc)

it is. the usb 3.0 ports are not in use.

Mine are in the 2.0 spots also. Well I guess it is time to hit the 2nd hand store for a keyboard to boot Windows with. Hopefully they have a PS/2 keyboard in stock.

Mine are in the 2.0 spots also. Well I guess it is time to hit the 2nd hand store for a keyboard to boot Windows with. Hopefully they have a PS/2 keyboard in stock.

i forgot to check back in about mine - i was able to get into safe mode using a spare ps/2 kb i had. after then, the USB kb has worked normally. i can get into safe mode, i can select stuff in pre-boot menus. no idea why, but i'm happy it's working correctly now.

thank you. is there a changelog for this?

hi,

i'm disabled which means i have no use of my hands and legs. i use a mouse with my chin, the UEFI bios on this Crosshair V Formula motherboard is very helpful but the UEFI bios is missing the - and + buttons on the voltage options, multipliers , ram timings, ect. would it be posable for asus to add them?

i forgot to check back in about mine - i was able to get into safe mode using a spare ps/2 kb i had. after then, the USB kb has worked normally. i can get into safe mode, i can select stuff in pre-boot menus. no idea why, but i'm happy it's working correctly now.

I had to d/c my Wii to Usb adapter to get mine to work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When I try to install the 0052 bios on my C5F it gives me an error that says something to the effect of "This is not an EFI bios" what am I doing wrong? I put it on my USB drive and went to ez flash in the bios, but it won't let me update with that ROM. Help please? Also I am trying to disable (or at least change from auto) Load Line Calibration on this board as well, is "CPU Spread Spectrum" the Load Line Calibration option? For some reason I get Vcore spikes and I'm thinking it's LLC causing it.

Thanks

When I try to install the 0052 bios on my C5F it gives me an error that says something to the effect of "This is not an EFI bios" what am I doing wrong? I put it on my USB drive and went to ez flash in the bios, but it won't let me update with that ROM. Help please? Also I am trying to disable (or at least change from auto) Load Line Calibration on this board as well, is "CPU Spread Spectrum" the Load Line Calibration option? For some reason I get Vcore spikes and I'm thinking it's LLC causing it.

Thanks

Hi,

1) Use a FAT32 formatted flash drive to update UEFI - NTFS will throw the error you are seeing.

2) LLC can be set by entering the DIGI+ VRM section of UEFI - go to the AI Tweaker section and scroll down til you find the DIGI+ VRM subsection. There is a comprehensive UEFI guide posted on ROG forums whcih you can check for tips. CPU Spread Spectrum is not LLC. The default LLC is extreme, this will increase the VID under load, set it to moderate or high to prevent over-voltage past the set VID.

-Raja

OK I guess I will have to format my flash drive when I get home. Thanks Raja, I'm definitely happy I went back to Asus for my new mobo. Haven't had one since my A7N8X way back in the day. Having someone like you on the forum is definitely a huge bonus to buying Asus.

Back