ASUS - Official AMD 9xx Chipset Series Motherboard Support

Yes you will need to upgrade if you want fast boot due to the ROM space required - that's why there is a second wave of boards. Or if you can live without the fast boot fucntion of Win 8, stick with your current board as you can still install the OS and run it regardless.

I don't think they will be updating the QVL for the older boards at this point. 1866 is so CPU dependant that the QVL stops being effective for most users. Anything over DDR3-1600 can be tricky on AMD.

Last edited:
Yes you will need to upgrade if you want fast boot due to the ROM space required - that's why there is a second wave of boards. Or if you can live without the fast boot fucntion of Win 8, stick with your current board as you can still install the OS and run it regardless.

I don't think they will be updating the QVL for the older boards at this point. 1866 is so CPU dependant that the QVL stops being effective for most users. Anything over DDR3-1600 can be tricky on AMD.

I'll probably grab a Crosshair motherboard when Win 8 is closer to launch. I really want 16gb of ram or more for a ramdrive in the near future that's why I was wondering about my Sabertooth's QVL getting updated. Thank you for responding. :)

I bought a new computer:

ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ with AMD FX-8150 processor
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ PC3 Memory
1TB WD SATA Hard Drive

I plugged in a DVD/CD drive and a Video card (low end)

The Video card works no problem
It is not recognizing the HD or the DVD/CD drive

I have tried every combination known to man to get it to work, new SATA Cables, different ports, Changing to IDE only in BIOS

I can put in a PCI SATA card and BIOS recognizes the drives (HD and DVD) but will not boot off the DVD even though I can take the same SATA Controller with all the same cables and put it in another machine and it boots fine

I have been on the phone with the company I bought the computer with to no avail. All I want to do is boot off my DVD (SATA 2) and load my OS onto my 1TB HD (SATA 2)

They keep telling me my BIOS settings are wrong. I cannot figure that one out, I have reset the BIOS multiple times to no avail as well.

What am I missing?

I have it to where I can boot from DVD now but I have to do a bypass in the BIOS to do it even if I have no other drives plugged in! That makes no sense to me at all. If I boot to DVD without going into BIOS is just hangs on the ASUS logo screen and does not recognize the Delete key. I also am unable to use a USB keyboard, have to us PS/2 which also makes no sense to me.

Strange issue. Can you remove some of the memory modules, use one module only and see if that changes any of the BOOT behaviour. I had one person before with a system so unstable that it was interfering with drive detection - turned out to be a memory related issue.

It might be worth listing the part numbers of your components too (especially the memory). That sometimes helps point at where the issue could lie. Also list all plugged in USB devices together with their model numbers.

Last edited:
Memory that I bought with the system from a build company. All the numbers on the chips. I have two and tried them together and independently.
Kingston KVR 8GB 1600MZ
KVR16N11/8 9905403-518.A00CF
2TL69-19BMDU-JW95F

I have another machine that had DDR3 RAM in it and tried them as well, I have two of these and tried them together and independently
Asint 2GB 1333MZ
SLZ3128MBEDJ6C PY-TA1009300E1-W
CM1630-05 P-0A0003D1000ACD

I am not sure what the part numbers are for the above but that is all the numbers off of them.

I am unable to plug anything in USB, even a keyboard does not work. I just locks up and does not recognize the keyboard. If I plug in an external drive USB it just locks up all together and I cannot even get into the BIOS setup.

If the board is in a case, remove it and try a bare bones setup on a non-conductive surface.

If it still happens, RMA the board.

Even if the board were working fine. You may experience issues getting those 8GB kits stable. It's never a good idea to put kits together like that unless you want to spend some time tuning the system to get it stable. The SPD info will be for a single kit only, not for two in tandem.

-Raja

I have not mixed the kits at all. I have tried the two 8 GB chips together and separate and the two 2 GB chips together and separate.

I tried pulling the board out, which for some reason was loose to begin with, to no avail. I get the same results. I will have to send the machine back to the company I bought it from, only problem is that I now have to pay shipping to get them to fix it even though it has never worked.. :(

Thanks for your help.

I have not mixed the kits at all. I have tried the two 8 GB chips together and separate and the two 2 GB chips together and separate.

QUOTE]

I was referring to your initial post stating 16GB of memory. The part number for the Kingston kit suggests it is an 8GB kit (single module or 2X4GB). That means you would need to put two of those kits together to make 16GB - which is not a good idea generally as the SPD is usually configured for a single kit only. Of course, that's a seperate issue from the one you are having here.

-Raja

hi guys im new to AMD processors and motherboards. my spare system is a FX-4100 with a Sabertooth 990FX with 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR2-1866.

everytime that i go to the memory profiles and select the 1866 SPD the system won't boot into Windows, before and after the install. any tips? i thought i could just select the XMP profile and be set just like on the Intel boards.

also i lose Aero whenever i try to overclock using the AI Suite TurboV EVO. works great on my P8Z68....

Check that kit was qualified on AMD platforms. If not, you may have a hard time setting it up manually. Check the ROG forums for a UEFI guide which covers memory timings.

Raja I need help with my Crosshair V. I recently got a CM Storm Quickfire pro that will work in everything except my rig with my CHV in it. It sometimes gets detected, but after a restart it is no longer detected. I have tried 6-Key Rollover, N-Key Rollover as well as all the polling rates in every USB 3 plug I have on the board. I'm so confused, is there a bios update or a toggle in the bios that may be able to help me fix this? When I plug it in some of the backlights flash on real fast, but it never actually is detected by bios or Windows.

Every other USB device I have works on this PC. And I know that the keyboard is good because it works in my 2 netbooks, 1 laptop and my office PC. I'm thinking there has to be something somewhere that I am missing that makes the KB not work.

Probably should add that I have the 1503 bios installed.

Thanks

Last edited:
I hope you can help but I think this is just a total RMA issue.

This is my 2nd board, had to return the first one for the same issue.

No Audio on the analog outputs. The Audio would work fine the first few days I had the new board installed, and then suddenly no sound. I have done these things, re-installed windows 7 and 8 with fresh installs, reformated everything, taken the motherboard out of the case and tested, changed drivers a number of times.

I am using the latest Bios, latest Asus drivers, tried previous drivers, tried realtek drivers.

The audio shows it working correctly in all the control panel.

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Where is the Sabertooth 990FX bios on the Asus website? All I see are the bios for the R2.0 motherboards. Do they work for the original boards?

Thx!

Edit. Googled and found the proper bios.

Last edited:
Raja I need help with my Crosshair V. I recently got a CM Storm Quickfire pro that will work in everything except my rig with my CHV in it. It sometimes gets detected, but after a restart it is no longer detected. I have tried 6-Key Rollover, N-Key Rollover as well as all the polling rates in every USB 3 plug I have on the board. I'm so confused, is there a bios update or a toggle in the bios that may be able to help me fix this? When I plug it in some of the backlights flash on real fast, but it never actually is detected by bios or Windows.

Every other USB device I have works on this PC. And I know that the keyboard is good because it works in my 2 netbooks, 1 laptop and my office PC. I'm thinking there has to be something somewhere that I am missing that makes the KB not work.

Probably should add that I have the 1503 bios installed.

Thanks

Which USB ports are you plugging the keyboard into - USB 2 or USB 3?

I hope you can help but I think this is just a total RMA issue.

This is my 2nd board, had to return the first one for the same issue.

No Audio on the analog outputs. The Audio would work fine the first few days I had the new board installed, and then suddenly no sound. I have done these things, re-installed windows 7 and 8 with fresh installs, reformated everything, taken the motherboard out of the case and tested, changed drivers a number of times.

I am using the latest Bios, latest Asus drivers, tried previous drivers, tried realtek drivers.

The audio shows it working correctly in all the control panel.

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Which devices are you connecting to the analog outputs?

Which devices are you connecting to the analog outputs?

It did not matter as the audio ports stopped auto detecting anything plugged into it. In any event, it has been RMA'ed back to ASUS USA. After talking with ASUS support It I was informed it is a known hardware issue with this motherboard. They did not even try to trouble shoot the problem because of this. They informed me that techs are working to resolve the problem but have yet to figure out why this is happening with this motherboard.

On a different note the Asus rep said that was his 5th RMA for the day on this motherboard for this exact same issue.

It was a pleasure dealing with them, only complaint was the initial long hold time. :D

So thanks for asking.

Which USB ports are you plugging the keyboard into - USB 2 or USB 3?

Both. Neither of them work. I have more pressing problems now though. My SATA drives about 2 weeks back decided to randomly disappear and not be detected any longer, this was usually fixed with a restart. And then starting last week Core Temp tells me that a single core on my CPU is overheating and it shuts down my machine (I didn't even know this was possible). I have disassembled everything and rewired it, and cleaned out my radiator. Also I have some issue with my GPU failing I guess I would call it. Sometimes when I leave my PC for awhile and the screens shut off I can't get them to come back on. I have no idea what is going on, but the only thing I can possibly expect to cause all these problem is my mobo. Any advice? I'm thinking something on my mobo is messed up somehow and is causing all sorts of crazy problems.

Are we getting a new AI Suite II, drivers, etc for the older Asus Sabertooth 990FX that is Win 8 compatible? I know it can't do the fast boot, but would love to have my AI Suite back and the drivers for Win 8 on the 990FX Sabertooth page.

I'm referring to this page on the Asus website.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/#download

Edit: I'm running Win 8 64 Pro.

Use the one for the Sabertooth R2.0.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AISuite_II_V20001_SA_990FX_R2_XPVistaWin7_8.zip

Anyone else with a M5A99X after flashing to the latest bios system instability?

I was running the October/November 2011 release up until last week and noticed some serious Windows 8 stability problems after the flash. This morning it took 5 reboots, removing my 2nd 6970 and 2 8gb sticks to get it even into Windows 8.

I should note, I had 0 stability issues prior to the bios update. The only reason why I did the update was for my newly purchased FX-8350.

This is for Raja@Asus but anyone else is welcome to help also.

Got a dead first generation Asus Sabertooth 990FX belonging to my nephew due to bad bios flash. Can't get video from the video card to see what's going on. Tried Nvidia 670 using DVI and HDMI. Popped in a really old Nvidia card and even tried VGA on that to no avail. Motherboard's green light is on just like mine. Diagnostic check at start up seems to be fine as it checks the cpu led, memory led, usb, drives, keyboard, mouse, etc. Never get an output to a monitor. Tried 2 known working monitors. Swapped FX-8120 for an old Phenom II and same thing.

Is there a way to bring it back from the dead? If not how hard is it to RMA it to Asus? It has a 5 year warranty and I believe he bought it March 2012. He can look it up next week as today he's working a 16 hour shift with 6 hours off then another 16 hour shift. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks!

You could try using this guide off the Asus site. If no luck, just buy a new bios chip for around 15.00 on E-bay. saves the hassle of rma.

Raja, is there an issue the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Gen 3? I can't find it available anywhere. Can you confirm is more are being shipped out anytime this month?

Tried to install Win 8 64 8.1 Preview and it failed twice. Called Microsoft and gave them the error codes. They said that the motherboard is incompatible with Win 8 64 8.1 Preview. Is Asus coming out with a new bios to fix this? Or do I need to start looking for a motherboard? Running Win 8 64 right now without problems other than my Asus Phoebus doesn't have certified Win 8 64 drivers. Are they still working on drivers for it?

Sabertooth 990FX generation 1.0 with 1604 bios.

Back