ASUS North America - ASUS Z170 Motherboards Q&A Thread

What brand memory are you using?

G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4 GB. I set the speeds with XMP in ASUS BIOS and it's been pretty solid unless I try pushing my CPU overclock. I've settled on 4.4 GHz at 1.275V because I don't like my CPU temp going above 80 deg C during stress testing. Anything above 4.4 GHz required me to increase voltage beyond 1.275V or I would blue screen during testing. Temps were over 80 deg C at 1.285V. I never tried running it without XMP though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231799

Anecdotal evidence from other people on [H] seems to point to G.Skill RAM + Z170 mobos behaving nicely together.

G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4 GB. I set the speeds with XMP in ASUS BIOS and it's been pretty solid unless I try pushing my CPU overclock. I've settled on 4.4 GHz at 1.275V because I don't like my CPU temp going above 80 deg C during stress testing. Anything above 4.4 GHz required me to increase voltage beyond 1.275V or I would blue screen during testing. Temps were over 80 deg C at 1.285V. I never tried running it without XMP though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231799

Anecdotal evidence from other people on [H] seems to point to G.Skill RAM + Z170 mobos behaving nicely together.

Still worries me when I see even a few reports of this:

Cons: Causes boot failures when trying to use the XMP 3000 profile... can squeeze manually 2933 to get it to boot.

Other Thoughts: These are probably going back... even tried OV to 1.37 to get the XMP profile to work but never boots on the asus z170 deluxe

Totally. For me, G Skill is the only thing that works. Kingston and Corsair Dominator didn't work at all.

I have an overclock of 4.5 and my 4 x 8gb G skill ram set at 3200 and it's 100% stable. I get the feeling I have a good chip and could have gone higher but I don't give a damn. I'm just happy it works and is stable after all the insane problems I had before.

I've noticed the newest bios version (0907) is missing some options. In 0901 version it looks like below:

151101225152.jpg

and now 4 options is missing:

151102090854.jpg

What purpose was for that options ? Why it was removed ?

These options were not needed in some situations so will not be displayed. Nothing for you to be concerned about.

My z170-A is the first board I bought with Secure Boot feature. I've installed Windows 10 retail with Secure Boot enabled without issues. Is there ever a chance that when reinstalling the Secure Boot feature will get in the way or need to be cleared?

How does the Secure Boot feature on generic boards like this different than Secure Boot on OEM PC's? I was under the impression that the Secure Boot key is clear on these and when you install 10 the first time it gets set, where on a OEM PC the Secure Boot key is specific to that vendor so you must use their media.

Any tips?

Any idea what would cause the power LED to blink constantly and consistently at the rate of about 1 per second while the system is powered on normally? System details are in my signature, but the board is a Maximus VIII Ranger.

I've tried clearing CMOS, swapping the PSU, different RAM, etc but still the power LED flashes.

From what I've read the power LED is only supposed to flash like this when the system is in suspend mode - but it does it constantly.

Yes, I've ruled out problems with the case front panel wiring. Yes, the front panel power LED is connected to the proper header on the motherboard.

Having more problems with my Z170 Pro Gaming. More cold boot issues, more BIOS updates from Asus that don't seem to help. I'm going to see about RMAing the board. I was considering purchasing a Maximus board as there seem to be way less BIOS updates for it, but even seeing people complaining about that. Thinking about Gigabyte or ASrock depending how my RMA goes.

Less BIOS updates, and the ones that have been released (for my Ranger anyway) have seriously screwed up the voltages. Honestly with all the trouble I've had with this Maximus VIII Ranger I am anxious to get rid of it and go back to Gigabyte and never purchase an Asus motherboard again. I've always heard that Asus is the highest quality enthusiast level boards your money can buy but my experience has left me completely jaded.

It's been what almost three months and the 3000mhz rated G'Skill DDR4 modules that sold with the Newegg combo STILL don't run at their XMP rated speeds and timings. G'Skill STILL blames Asus and says a BIOS update will resolve it.

If I were you I'd think about Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock too.... :p

Less BIOS updates, and the ones that have been released (for my Ranger anyway) have seriously screwed up the voltages. Honestly with all the trouble I've had with this Maximus VIII Ranger I am anxious to get rid of it and go back to Gigabyte and never purchase an Asus motherboard again. I've always heard that Asus is the highest quality enthusiast level boards your money can buy but my experience has left me completely jaded.

It's been what almost three months and the 3000mhz rated G'Skill DDR4 modules that sold with the Newegg combo STILL don't run at their XMP rated speeds and timings. G'Skill STILL blames Asus and says a BIOS update will resolve it.

If I were you I'd think about Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock too.... :p

I would have already sold my z170 pro gaming if it weren't for the fact that I also have an Asus 980 TI. This is the first major build I've done in like 7 years, and it has just been a disappointment. If I sell my motherboard, I'll sell the card too and go full gigabyte.

Last edited:
I just picked up a z170 deluxe but haven't built the system yet. I have a question regarding m.2. I have a Samsung 950 pro that I'll put I the m.2 slot. I also have a Titan x video card and a sound blaster z. I'd like to add in an Intel 750 series 800gb for additional fast storage. Will all if this work at full speed or am I putting too many components on the pic-e to be able to run it all properly?

M.2 has nothing to do with your PCI-e physical slots, it uses the PCH and will use up the SATA express slots

If you are planning on using the 750 PCIe card then you could run slot 1x16 slot 3 x4 and put the sound card in any of the x1 slots , but even if you drop the video card down to x8 you would still be fine

So while I would say you are pushing the limits I dont think you will see any issues
manual says
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) x16 Video
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode) x4 Intel 750
4 x PCIe x1 sound card

Given the lack of substantial updates and the overwhelming negative reviews it looks like I may have to go to Gigabyte for my next build.

I got my z170 deluxe build going with a Samsung 950 pro. In the bios though under Advanced -> Onboard Devices Config, there is a setting to set the m.2 and sata express Config. I set it to m.2 and the setting won't stick. Every reset sets it back to sata express. Windows installed but I haven't been able to do anything because the system keeps locking. I'm thinking this could be the cause. Any ideas on this?

I see they have some CPU installation tool. Never used one and never had any issue, gimmick?

Their 170 boards also only have two chassis fan connectors, that's on the low side.

They probably want you to go buy that $25 fan extension card.

Is it true the Z170 has stability problems? Looking at Asus's website they appear to have a new bios out every 10 days with the note "stability".
If this round of boards are problematic I'll wait.

I haven't even had to consider flashing the bios on my z170i Pro gamer yet, but from what I've seen on this forum, some people are having issues with the ATX version of this board. I have had good luck so far with a single stick on HyperX Savage ( was a misguided attempt to spread the upgrade costs out, 2nd stick wasn't available when I was ready) and I just replaced it today with a 2x8GB kit od G.Skill Trident Z 3200. Not one single hiccup so far (knock on wood) ;)

Good to hear, are Asus really picky about RAM that you need to use what's on their vendor list?
I find it odd that Mushkin is always absent so either Asus does not test it or they are not given samples.'
I've never used Asus and I've never had memory issues.
Quality RAM should work period.

QVL is BS. Quality RAM always works. ASUS has had some issues with their BIOS and have continued to try and solve it. Buy high end 3200mhz RAM and you have a really good chance at getting them to run at 3200MHZ (Gskill Tridentzs seem to work well for people), stay away from 3000mhz kits as they seem to have the most trouble ( just my opinion) and if you want anything lower like 2666 you should not have any issues.

I see they have some CPU installation tool. Never used one and never had any issue, gimmick?

Their 170 boards also only have two chassis fan connectors, that's on the low side.

They probably want you to go buy that $25 fan extension card.

Is it true the Z170 has stability problems? Looking at Asus's website they appear to have a new bios out every 10 days with the note "stability".
If this round of boards are problematic I'll wait.

I actually really like that coy installation tool. I've built 2 Asus z170 systems.

I have had my system up for less than a week and am scared my ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO may have fried/damaged my CPU.

I started getting instability issues yesterday and have discovered the stock bios 1001 has been setting my AUTO voltage > 1.40 :(

I have been putting off tweaking anything because I just wanted to get it up and running to play Fallout 4.

I have had my system up for less than a week and am scared my ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO may have fried/damaged my CPU.

I started getting instability issues yesterday and have discovered the stock bios 1001 has been setting my AUTO voltage > 1.40 :(

I have been putting off tweaking anything because I just wanted to get it up and running to play Fallout 4.

1.40v isn't going to fry or damage your CPU....

stop using auto, manually set your voltages, use adaptive or whatever but do not set it to auto.

stop using auto, manually set your voltages, use adaptive or whatever but do not set it to auto.

It was too late, AUTO on that BIOS I blame for frying the CPU. Thankfully Microcenter allowed me to RMA it and I now have a new one.

The idea that as a user I should know not to trust AUTO is INSANE.

AUTO and CPU-Z was showing spikes to 1.55 and over

The latest BIOS should have corrected that. Previously, Vcore > 1.5V would result whether the value in adaptive mode was manually set or left on AUTO.

The latest BIOS should have corrected that. Previously, Vcore > 1.5V would result whether the value in adaptive mode was manually set or left on AUTO.

I know, I was forced to learn about it after I started to get BSODs. It is crazy that ASUS let that BIOS go out to retail products.

My heart dropped as I read threads talking about how it was such a shitty version, that just so happens to be what shipped with my mobo.

I left everything on AUTO because I wanted to get right into Fallout 4, and would deal with tweaking later.

BIG MISTAKE, it led to the death of my CPU, thankfully I was able to RMA it.

Raja, I see the Asus Z170-ws board available in many places. Is it going to support Xeon processors? It only lists support for the desktop processors and previous ws boards have supported Xeons.

Quick verification on this CPU instillation tool, I was looking at the manual online and it states you just leave it under the heatsink?
Do you really want plastic staying around the CPU? I hope it's a type of thermal plastic and does not melt/warp under full load heat.

Raja, I see the Asus Z170-ws board available in many places. Is it going to support Xeon processors? It only lists support for the desktop processors and previous ws boards have supported Xeons.

Intel don't allow (locked out) Xeon support on Z170 I am told.

Intel don't allow (locked out) Xeon support on Z170 I am told.

Is Asus going to release a motherboard that supports Xeons then? It's weird that the board didn't get released until Xeons were released, but it doesn't support them.

Quick verification on this CPU instillation tool, I was looking at the manual online and it states you just leave it under the heatsink?
Do you really want plastic staying around the CPU? I hope it's a type of thermal plastic and does not melt/warp under full load heat.

you leave it on. no melting, zero problems. it's actually quite handy.

you leave it on. no melting, zero problems. it's actually quite handy.

You do not have to use it if you do not want to, I didnt use it. Its a nice feature to help protect the pins from getting bent which isn't that hard to do if you are not careful enough.

They work fin and will not have heat issues

I have a 3 monitor setup. Two dell 20.1" in portrait mode and a dell 30" in landscape which is my primary monitor. The dell 30" is hooked up via dvi and the dell 20" are hooked up with DisplayPort to dvi adapters. My bios and boot screen show up on one of the dell 20" . How can I get everything to show up on my dell 30. Near the end of Windows loading it will pop over from the dell 20 to my 30. I'm using a z170 deluxe and Titan x card. My previous build was the exact same with a z87 deluxe board and everything showed up on my dell 30. So the only difference here is the motherboard. Any ideas ?

I'm still using bios 801 on my Asus Z170 deluxe board. Just noticed bios 1402 was released, so I'm way behind. Any real reason to update? My system is rock solid right now but still wondering what I'm possibly missing.

I would use higher IO an SA voltage - more like 1.30V. This board is 4 layer, for 16GB they tend to need higher SA and IO voltage than the 6 and 8 layer boards. The board/memory is failing memory training from power cycle. If that does not help, you can try increasing some of the third tier memory timings by +1 clock.

So the Z170 Pro Gaming is a 4 layer board. Is the Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger 6 or 8 layers? Hero same as the Ranger?

Last edited:
I have 32 gb installed on my pro gaming board. Set the memory to XMP and that's it (not overclocking that one). I didn't need extra voltage

QVL is BS. Quality RAM always works.

No it doesn't. I've seen kits that just wouldn't behave on some motherboards. I've seen this on ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI and even Intel branded motherboards. I've seen it with Patriot, G.Skill, and even Corsair RAM.

Has the DPC latency issue been resolved yet with the Version 1.01.30 AISuite? I uninstalled all the Asus software and I am still getting DPC hiccups while playing videos on my computer.

I really like the tweaks the software gives me but I was hoping that if the issue had been solved then just installing the new version would fix the problem.

Has the DPC latency issue been resolved yet with the Version 1.01.30 AISuite? I uninstalled all the Asus software and I am still getting DPC hiccups while playing videos on my computer.

I really like the tweaks the software gives me but I was hoping that if the issue had been solved then just installing the new version would fix the problem.

I have not tested the newest version of AI Suite III so I cannot say.

Back