Asus monitor from Newegg headache

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
I bought an Asus VW266H from Newegg in February 2009. One bad pixel, so I couldn't return it, but it's near the top of the screen and unnoticeable most of the time. Great monitor. Happy with it otherwise.

Near the end of July, it started suffering severe artifacting during cold boots. See this thread for more preliminary info.

Videos:
Cold boot: http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/videos/3gp/1fvrs6-hpam59-lv92y6.html.
"Pixel seizures": http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/videos/3gp/vid00004-20100805-2300.html

I emailed Newegg. Then Asus. No response. I emailed both again. Nothing. After a third round of contact, Asus finally responded, and told me to contact the reseller. The Asus website also states this under their 3-year warranty information, stating that you should "[p]lease refer to your place of purchase for any of these types of requests." They also say this somewhere else on their website, but I can't find a link.

Today I chatted with Newegg, and was told to contact Asus. :confused:

Some excerpts. Emphasis is mine.
Asus (Stacey) said:
Sorry, I did not receive this e-mail immediately because of the server.
In this situation, please enter OSD to adjust parameters(brightness, contrast, sharpness and so on) in Image or press Splendid key on LCD about 3 seconds.
If no effort, please load the monitor into factory settings to test.
If it doesn't work, please contact with your retailer for check. If the monitor is faulty, they will arrange RMA service for you.

Newegg said:
1:05:56 PM : Benjamin: Thanks for the information. In order to help you with this issue, I am going to send you an email requesting your permission to release your contact information to the product manufacturer. Please reply to the email as instructed. I will then submit a request to our related department for investigation into this issue. Normally I will receive a response from them within 3-5 business days. I will update you via email once I get a response.

1:07:09 PM : Benjamin: Is there anything else I can help you with?

1:07:10 PM : Greg: so i get to go another week with a faulty monitor?

1:07:47 PM : Greg: Asus already has my information. I've submitted two or three support emails, plus I registered as an Asus VIP

1:08:22 PM : Benjamin: That is right. Asus should take responsibility for this issue. We will contact Asus to have them honor the warranty on this item.

Am I crazy for finding this whole ordeal completely unacceptable? Am I the first person to need to RMA an Asus monitor bought from Newegg? I just want a non-faulty monitor again. :(

I went through something similar with Asus when I had a motherboard die. Basically they make it so difficult to get assistance that you finally just say heck with it and buy something else. Needless to say I haven't been buying many Asus products lately.

Oh, someone's going to help me. I can't buy a new monitor. I shouldn't even spend the money to ship this one back. But I need a monitor that works.

Well that's what I thought too, but after limping along on an ancient PC I had on hand for a month or so..

Anyways good luck!

This is the exact reason why I decided to never again buy a monitor from Newegg, Don't get me wrong, newegg does a great job with pricing and delivery, but the cheap lower end monitors are not worth buying there because you are bent over a stool by the manufacturer if anything happens.

Now, compare that to a brick and mortar store like Costco, who has a limited selection, but will instantly replace my monitors for 18 months after purchase no questions asked. Then the Samsung warranties go 3 years.

Of course, the high end monitors have pretty good RMA, but you still have to send things off and go without the monitor as well as hope things get fixed properly.

Good luck Neptune.

Just got a call from Asus with RMA information. Gotta ship it to California to Mainteq America, who is apparently Asus' only authorized repair company. If they can't repair it, they'll replace it. I'm on the fence though. It was like $10 to ship a GTX 260 via USPS. I imagine a 25.5" LCD is like $15+. :(

Definitely the first and last Asus monitor purchase. May even stop buying Asus altogether. Not happy with Newegg either.

RMA process is approximately 10 business days

I am scared myself and thanks for this reminder again.

Next time, buy a Dell monitor. They have 3 yr warranty on it.

Next time, buy a Dell monitor. They have 3 yr warranty on it.

i've had even worse experiences with Dell's customer service... so it's a terrible advice.

I called NewEgg today and they changed their Exchange policy, even if you have 1 dead pixel you can exchange it for another one, at no cost, I took a screenshot of the Chatroom log with a Rep. And I also called NewEgg and asked over the phone before I clicked the Submit Order button. so now I have proof in case my Asus VE276Q arrives with dead pixel and I want to exchagne it for a new one.

Taaaaaaadaaaaa !

i've had even worse experiences with Dell's customer service... so it's a terrible advice.

Buy it from the small buisness side. Better warranties. They shipped me a new hard drive that was bigger than the one that failed in the computer I had.

Though... every other part but the CPU ended up failing within a year after the warranty was up...

Just got a call from Asus with RMA information. Gotta ship it to California to Mainteq America, who is apparently Asus' only authorized repair company. If they can't repair it, they'll replace it. I'm on the fence though. It was like $10 to ship a GTX 260 via USPS. I imagine a 25.5" LCD is like $15+. :(

Definitely the first and last Asus monitor purchase. May even stop buying Asus altogether. Not happy with Newegg either.

15? 25 with insurance I'd think.

I had to deal with asus for a bad motherboard. Shipped it back at my expense. Received replacement that was doa. Finger prints all over it. Mine had looked brand new when I shipped it. It wasnt my old board because I had marked it with a small ink dot in a spot where you could only find if you knew where to look. Didnt want to deal with asus in getting another one and waiting to complete my build.

Oh, I've become a master at bitching about service after my EVGA GTX 260 RMA process. Finally got them to RMA the replacement with a pre-paid UPS shipping label for replacement. I don't mind if I get my original monitor back. They're supposed to try repairing it first.

Check out FedEx if you're unhappy with the pricing. They've done me well recently [especially with oversize compared to UPS].

Did you ask for a UPS shipping label?

No. They're quite clear about the dreaded customer paying one-way shipping. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it.

Does anyone carry the Asus vw266h in a brick and mortar store?

I'm planning on getting one, and I'd have no problem buying it local if it was available at a similar price.

-Ken

Back