Asus Maxiums VI Formula USB Problems

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
Came home from work today and tried getting on my desktop...no go. Rebooted the PC, get to the Windows 8.1 log in and nothing happens when I use my keyboard or mouse. I swap out the keyboard with another one, same result. Both keyboards work fine in the BIOS with no problems.

While doing a bunch of rebooting, I notice the light on the keyboard goes out when Windows first starts to load and is totally unresponsive to anything after that. I tried changing the fast boot options, USB options and no luck what so ever with it getting to work.

I break out the USB stick I have to install Windows 8...can boot it no problem but once I get to drop down menus to make choices....the keyboard goes dark and the mouse doesn't work either, just like what it was doing with login with Windows 8.

So have my USB ports gone tits up? I've tried both the USB 2 and 3 ports on the motherboard and on the header on the front of the computer and nothing works.

In your BIOS try setting "Intel xHCI Mode" to disabled. Its in Advanced -> USB Config. I find it hard to believe both USB controllers have gone bad at the same time, especially if it is working before Windows boots.

Last edited:
I was having issues with my G19 keyboard and my G700s mouse acting flaky before this happened yesterday. The mouse was having really weird poling/lag issues and my G19 keyboard wouldn't respond or the LCD screen would go blank on it at times.

I thought I messed with the xHCI mode when I was doing trouble shooting so I'll try that tonight, but the frustrating thing is that the USB dies when you boot off a Windows 8 USB stick, which would rule out a driver issue with windows!

I also had a couple keyboard not found errors pop up during my multiple reboots during troubleshooting, but it seems like that only happened when I reset the system from the motherboard using the reset button it.

Also discovered that F8 to get into safe mode doesn't with UEFI/SDD systems...FFS, who thought that was a good idea? Grrr! There is a registry value you can change, but doesn't do me much good since I can't even get to that point!

Is it a Windows 8 install or recovery image on the USB stick?

You get into safe mode through recovery mode, which loads after 3 failed boots. So if you boot up to the login screen and HOLD your power button until the PC turns off 3 times, the next time you boot recovery mode will come up.

The Windows installer uses USB drivers too. I guess it could be possible for a hardware error to cause the Windows USB drivers to fail and not the UEFI drivers, but it seems unlikely.

I disabled the xHCI in the BIOS and it booted into windows without losing my USB keyboard. Am I losing anything by keeping it disabled?

I have a Maximus Formula VII coming from Amazon as a replacement, but rather not have to dump out another $300 for a new MB.

There could be a BIOS update for your board that resolves the issue.

If not, disabling XHCI may or may not make your USB 3 ports run at USB 2 speeds. If you have any USB 3 devices you can tell what speed they're running at like this.

Well tried the latest BIOS and older ones and still have the problem, been having issues with SSD getting detected also in the middle of this, so I think I'm just going to scrap this thing for the M7F.

Now to deal with Asus with getting an RMA :(

Back