Asus Maximus Z690 can't boot with XMP Enabled

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
I have just both 64GB of Corsair Dominator 5600MHz C36 (4x16GB).
Using a Z690 Maximus Extreme mobo...

If I don't enable XMP, RAM works well, if I enable XMP, it doesn't boot :(

Why? :(

Did you leave gear on auto or set it to 1? If the latter, that is your problem.

You make sure it's getting the proper voltage set? Also could be IMC bump needed or just that asus needs to work on compatibility with a new bios release.

another thing...

this is my default bios settings.

1639772498220.png

If I manually set the frequency to 5200MHz I can boot but CPUZ always shows 2000MHz.
Isn't a DDR at 2000MHz operating at 4GHz?

If yes why?

I see 2001 MHz in CPU with default bios settings and by manually setting 5200MHz, why?

another thing...

View attachment 422898

If I manually set the frequency to 5200MHz I can boot but CPUZ always shows 2000MHz.

If yes why?

I see 2001 MHz in CPU with default bios settings and by manually setting 5200MHz, why?
cpuz shows the base speed. now that i realize your in quad channel, upping the imc voltage may be needed like Furious_Styles mentioned.

what do you mean for base speed, I never see more than 2GHz in the freq...
isn't supposed to be 2.4GHz at default settings?
ive seen it only display the spd speed before, i thought the base spd for that kit was 4000, could be wrong. what does windows say in taskmanager? if it only shows 4000, its not set right.

another thing...

View attachment 422898

If yes why?

CPU-Z always showing the actual memory clock speed. It does not show the double data rate clock value. DDR memory always operates at half the advertised speed. This is because double-data rate RAM transmits data on the falling and rising edge of the clock cycle, effectively moving twice the data per clock as SDRAM that preceded DDR did. That's where the name "DDR" comes from. It stands for "double data rate." Either way, your RAM is not operating at 5200MHz. If it were, it should show 2600MHz.

CPU-Z always showing the actual memory clock speed. It does not show the double data rate clock value. DDR memory always operates at half the advertised speed. This is because double-data rate RAM transmits data on the falling and rising edge of the clock cycle, effectively moving twice the data per clock as SDRAM that preceded DDR did. That's where the name "DDR" comes from. It stands for "double data rate." Either way, your RAM is not operating at 5200MHz. If it were, it should show 2600MHz.

yes but the base speed should be 2.4GHz and not 2GHz.

1639774507934.png

I have manually set 4.8GHz in bios but still no luck, I'm stuck at 4GHz on the RAM

Sorry I explained it bad, there is no update since I'm already running 0803 bios
ok. after updating have you ever done a good hard cmos clearing? if not, remove power and battery, hit power button to drain caps and wait a few min. see if that gets it to normal. then, try bumping both the ram and imc voltage.

ok. after updating have you ever done a good hard cmos clearing? if not, remove power and battery, hit power button to drain caps and wait a few min. see if that gets it to normal. then, try bumping both the ram and imc voltage.
done, it doesn't helped. I'm pretty worried that I have a faulty motherboard.

I have tried with another kit also.
I have 2 banks of Patriot 4800MHz C40, even with the two patriot I have the same problem.

done, it doesn't helped. I'm pretty worried that I have a faulty motherboard.

I have tried with another kit also.
I have 2 banks of Patriot 4800MHz C40, even with the two patriot I have the same problem.
will it run with only 2 sticks?

my problem now is that I can't go past 4GHz.
with 2 or 4 sticks.

default settings push the ram at 4GHz only
k.
i get that.
what cpu are you using and have you tried reseating it? since the controller is on chip...

k.
i get that.
what cpu are you using and have you tried reseating it? since the controller is on chip...

I have reset the bios, how can I reset the CPU?

I discovered that if I use only B slots I can use 5.2GHz.
If I put something on A slot frequency is locked at 4Ghz

I bet he just needs to wait for a bios update. I'm not much for QVL lists but neither of his sets are listed on there.
lol was heading there next. i normally start there but things seems good for that last couple chip releases, on either side.

I have reset the bios, how can I reset the CPU?

I discovered that if I use only B slots I can use 5.2GHz.
If I put something on A slot frequency is locked at 4Ghz
re-seat. take it out, put it back in, make sure the heatsink is seated right, not too tight or loose.
huh, odd. what cpu is it?

id try and get ahold of something on the qvl, could be a pain right now though. could contact asus, see what they have to say.

but is it safe to run "CPU System Agent Voltage" to 1.25V?
My Asus mobo shows values greater than 1.2V with a warning.
same for the Memory Controller voltage, everything over 1.2 in in yellow (means warning)

Nothing reset to default, it should go to 4.8GHz and not 4.0GHz.
You most likely need to adjust the Gear setting. All that being said, your issues sound like memory compatibility problems which sadly are par for the course with early hardware with a brand new type of memory and platform. I hope mine fairs better, but I won't know until I get my water block's mounting plate.

Back