ASUS Maximus XI Hero not playing nice with Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X

S8i8

n00b
I have a pair of Sapphire R9 Fury video cards. One Nitro, one Tri-X. Been running them in Crossfire in an ASUS X99-A II motherboard with no issues (DisplayPort).

Moved both video cards to a new ASUS Maximus XI Hero build. The Nitro card, by itself, works fine. With the Tri-X card installed (by itself or alongside the Nitro) I cannot get any video. Just a black screen followed by the monitor telling me there is no signal (HDMI). If I move the Tri-X back to the previous install it works perfectly (HDMI).

Any ideas? Was hoping to buy a little more time before having to upgrade video card.

I know on another mb I had, had to set the PCIe manuallly to 8X instead of 16x due to SLI limitation on the 2 buses.. just a thought

I know on another mb I had, had to set the PCIe manuallly to 8X instead of 16x due to SLI limitation on the 2 buses.. just a thought
Thanks robjordan - good suggestion, but not the current issue.

Should probably narrow the focus of the thread to unable to use the Tri-X alone on the ASUS Maximus XI Hero. Additional interesting information: If I boot up using CPU graphics as primary, once I get into Windows the Tri-X does pass video. If I boot up using the Tri-X alone, it never completes booting and never shows anything on the screen.

Does the BIOS detect and identify the card in your original configuration? What happens if you disable the iGPU altogether? (I use the same motherboard)

Last edited:
Does the BIOS detect and identify the card in your original configuration? What happens if you disable the iGPU altogether? (I use the same motherboard)
I don't see anywhere in the bios that identifies the card (e.g. by name/model). Best I can see is the status of a given pcie slot (speed vs disabled). With one card I see X16/Disabled, with two cards I see X8/X8. Is there a corner of the BIOS that I have not discovered?

If I completely disable iGPU, with the Tri-X present (either solo or paired with Nitro) I get blank screen. With the Nitro as solo everything boots up fine. And again, Tri-X in its previous install works just fine.

Went into GPU Post in tools. Just the Turbo, or just the Tri-X installed this area reports the same. The Turbo results in usable video, the Tri-X not so much.

I have now moved on. Picked up an RTX 2080 - works great. I will not be pursuing this Tri-X issue any further. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back