Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 Motherboard

mine is on vehicle for delievery today.
woot!

and will put ivy bridge 3770k on it.
release was 23rd this month i think

Again RoG doesn't disappoint. These days Asus is one of the only companies I purchase motherboards from and the RoG boards top the line, with TUF/Sabretooth coming up right next to save a little cash. Its great that The RoG "Gene" boards put highend power in a mATX setting. I wonder if they'll ever expand to mITX too? Especially considering that mITX has a lot of expensive-though-crappy Jetway-ish models, it seems a market really in need of the RoG touch. Preferably, both with Intel and AMD platforms in mind. Put 2 PCI-E x16 slots on the board instead of 1+ a PCI and they'd have an instant winner with everything else on the same RoG/TUF quality level.

Just received the Maximus V Gene (was on Maximus IV Gene-z before) and mounted my 2500k with 4x4Go Corsair Vengenance. Unfortunately, only DiMM slots A1 & A2 are working (first 2 slots, one black, one red). Any combination with slots B1 and/or B2 gives me a Qcode 55 and no boot at all.

Does it sound like a defect mobo to you guys ? It was working great on the MaxIVGenZ

I also tried to reseat the CPU, I didn't saw any bent socket pin but same results. I think I'll RMA this one if there is no other solution :p

For those wondering about sound, it sounds like they have improved the onboard sound quality of the board by a lot. It says

Also in the Conclusion

Don't know how good that is but, maybe its the end of days for sound cards :/

Shame your quotes are not includet in my qoute.

It's still a weak chip with limited hardware support for a lot of things. The sound quality will be better than most onboard, but I would not sell a dedicated card in favor of this.

Shame your quotes are not includet in my qoute.

It's still a weak chip with limited hardware support for a lot of things. The sound quality will be better than most onboard, but I would not sell a dedicated card in favor of this.

Dedicated is still better, but no longer a must.

Dedicated is still better, but no longer a must.

I don't think dedicated has been a must for many years, but onboard is still miles away from a dedicated card and I had to respond to someone speculating in the end of dedicated sound cards.

Can anyone recommend a mini wireless card for this board? I'd like to use the adapter to have a wireless option on the board!

Can anyone recommend a mini wireless card for this board? I'd like to use the adapter to have a wireless option on the board!

How about a USB external model? That way, it becomes portable in case you need it for a laptop, internet connected console or TV, BluRay player, etc.

How about a USB external model? That way, it becomes portable in case you need it for a laptop, internet connected console or TV, BluRay player, etc.
I was told that a mini pcie card is more reliable and has better performance than its USB counterpart.

I would like to ask the same question. Are there wifi cards that can be inserted in a pcie slot?

Which better? A pcie wifi card or a mpcie wifi card? I want to use the mpcie slot pf the gene v but it feels that the onr with the antenna would recieve the signals better. Thoughts anyone?

Which better? A pcie wifi card or a mpcie wifi card? I want to use the mpcie slot pf the gene v but it feels that the onr with the antenna would recieve the signals better. Thoughts anyone?
I looked into it a bit and the mPCI-E WiFi card still needs two/three external antennae + two/three IPX to SMA cable adapters that connect the antennae to wifi card. Overall the normal PCI-E WiFi card looks to be the cleaner/cheaper solution if you can spare the PCI-E slots.

So, I'm curious. According to the specs page, this board has this sound card:

SupremeFX III built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

However, the driver downloads and the motherboard manual call out the Realtek drivers. So who exactly makes the sound card? Is it just a regular Realtek part with a fancy name?

However, the driver downloads and the motherboard manual call out the Realtek drivers. So who exactly makes the sound card? Is it just a regular Realtek part with a fancy name?

Been trying to figure this out myself. I keep leaning back towards buying the Sniper m3 instead for the Creative Sound Core3D and built in headphone amp.

I mentioned this in post #14 & #18 of this thread. It's an onboard Realtek chip using x-fi "software" to control it. You basically install the realtek drivers for the chip and then install the x-fi sound utility. A couple have stated the sound is pretty decent although the same was not true for the previous gen. I have not heard it. In regard to your last question, I believe the answer is yes.

Just received the Maximus V Gene (was on Maximus IV Gene-z before) and mounted my 2500k with 4x4Go Corsair Vengenance. Unfortunately, only DiMM slots A1 & A2 are working (first 2 slots, one black, one red). Any combination with slots B1 and/or B2 gives me a Qcode 55 and no boot at all.

Does it sound like a defect mobo to you guys ? It was working great on the MaxIVGenZ

I also tried to reseat the CPU, I didn't saw any bent socket pin but same results. I think I'll RMA this one if there is no other solution :p

Update to the latest UEFI build and try again. Set the XMP profile for the memory also.

I looked into it a bit and the mPCI-E WiFi card still needs two/three external antennae + two/three IPX to SMA cable adapters that connect the antennae to wifi card. Overall the normal PCI-E WiFi card looks to be the cleaner/cheaper solution if you can spare the PCI-E slots.

Thanks for clarifying that!

My Maximum Gene V showed up yesterday. I was able to put my build together pretty quick with an i5-2500k. Now I'm working on getting Windows 7 installed. I've been running Mac OS X for so long my Windows-foo is a little rusty. I'll be doing re-install #3 tonight when I get home so I can get everything right the first time.

Is there a marketing-speak decoder ring? The motherboard manual for this thing, and the Ai Suite Applications, are just dripping with marketing jargon. I honestly haven't the slightest idea what a lot of this stuff does. Things have sure changed in the last few years since I built a machine.

Anybody knows why the M5G is less expensive then the V-Deluxe? I thought even though the M5G is a mATX, it's a ROG line of the motherboard, so it should cost a little more than the Deluxe.

Just wondering...

My Maximum Gene V showed up yesterday. I was able to put my build together pretty quick with an i5-2500k. Now I'm working on getting Windows 7 installed. I've been running Mac OS X for so long my Windows-foo is a little rusty. I'll be doing re-install #3 tonight when I get home so I can get everything right the first time.

Is there a marketing-speak decoder ring? The motherboard manual for this thing, and the Ai Suite Applications, are just dripping with marketing jargon. I honestly haven't the slightest idea what a lot of this stuff does. Things have sure changed in the last few years since I built a machine.

80% of the ROG software is nonsense, window themes, themed version of CPU-Z, window gadgets, ROG GameFirst network bandwidth allocater, GPU/CPU overclocking tools, voltage controls, and other junk. Your core drivers are going to be..

The Intel and Asmedia USB 3 Drivers
LAN Drivers
Intel Chipset Drivers
Realtek Audio Drivers
Intel Graphics Accelerator (if your going to use the onboard graphics)
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2 Utility (for audio tweaking, semi-optional)

Thanks for that. I discovered last night that Ai Suite stuff just wasn't terribly useful to me. Adjusting overclocks and voltages within Windows creeped me out 10 years ago when people did and it still does today. If I want to screw with that stuff I'll do it from the BIOS.

I went hunting today and tracked down the official, non-Asus, version of the drivers you mentioned. The only ones I couldn't find were the ones for the Asmedia parts, which I'm not using so I plan on disabling them in the BIOS anyway.

Any idea on the usefulness of the Intel Management Engine Interface? What is this for?

Overclocking in Windows is useful for small tweaking and then stressing to see how far you can go without a BSOD, but yeah BIOS is #1 for permanent changes.

As far as the IME drivers, I believe it's just an easy way of Intel to organize all their drivers in one spot and update them.

Has anyone tried to put the CoolerMaster 212+ on this board? It looks like it might interfere with the memory slots.

Has anyone tried to put the CoolerMaster 212+ on this board? It looks like it might interfere with the memory slots.

For the record I picked one of these 212 Plus heatsinks up over at the local Compusa/Tiger Direct. It fits without covering up the nearest dimm slot. Its close, but it fits. A high profile DIMM may be a tight fit.

80% of the ROG software is nonsense, window themes, themed version of CPU-Z, window gadgets, ROG GameFirst network bandwidth allocater, GPU/CPU overclocking tools, voltage controls, and other junk. Your core drivers are going to be..

The Intel and Asmedia USB 3 Drivers
LAN Drivers
Intel Chipset Drivers
Realtek Audio Drivers
Intel Graphics Accelerator (if your going to use the onboard graphics)
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2 Utility (for audio tweaking, semi-optional)

The ROG-themed add-ons (except the QoS tools) are all available online and elsewhere (if not from ASUS, then from TechPowerUp.com) - the QoS tools are actually a re-branded version of the Intel LAN/PHY QoS tools (the unbranded version is thus available from Intel). GPU/CPU OC tools - re-branded AiSuite (if you don't want to exit Windows to do your overcrankage, you may well want this). To each his own.

The OCing tools are good for small tweaking but primarily you'll want to use the BIOS. Everything else isn't needed, wish they could make it easier to find the core drivers, most people don't understand that they don't need all that extra stuff and just confuse themselves.

The OCing tools are good for small tweaking but primarily you'll want to use the BIOS. Everything else isn't needed, wish they could make it easier to find the core drivers, most people don't understand that they don't need all that extra stuff and just confuse themselves.

The same is true of everybody else's Windows-based OC utilities (so far, only [H] and LegitReviews are the only reviewers that make it plain), where these utilities DO work is in terms of making sure the OC holds up in the OS, rather than it slowly unwinding as the load piles up - which is exactly how (and why) I use them where available. Task Manager (especially in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview) is going further than Task Manager has gone previously to making these utilities moot - however, it still hasn't gone far enough.

Anyone else having trouble with the chassis_fan1 connector? My connector is putting out 3v LESS than the other connectors. For example:

With fan control enabled in the BIOS and set to the "Standard" profile:
chassis_fan1 reads 5v
chassis_fan2 reads 8v
chassis_fan3 reads 8v

With fan control DISABLED in the BIOS, after a reboot:
chassis_fan1 reads 9v
chassis_fan2 reads 12v
chassis_fan3 reads 12v

Because of this my fans are running wonky. Anyone else see this issue? Ideas on how to resolve?

So, I've done more testing. I think this is maybe a BIOS problem. For the record, I'm running version 0701 on my board. Under normal circumstances the voltages are as I posted in my previous post. However the wrinkle comes in when I tried fan xpert2. When using any of the preset "Profiles", i.e. Silent, Standard, or Turbo, the voltage is still 2-3v lower than the other headers. BUT, if I click the "Full Speed" button at the bottom of fan xpert2 the fans spin up correctly and ALL the headers read 11.99v on my multimeter, includes chassis_fan1. What's up with that? Presumably, based on this information. the header is functioning normally and CAN provide 12v to the fan. The question is why doesn't it do that normally like the other headers?

If someone else with a Gene V could check their board that would be most helpful.

Back