Asus Maximus V Gene Uefi/Bios help needed!

mobbmann

n00b
This is my first micro atx build< Which i intend to run at stock speeds, and I need help with two things.

#1. what drivers should be installed for this mobo and in what order... btw pls explain it like I'm 5 years old :)

#2. this is the first mobo that I cant find an idiotproof bios setup guide for running stock that explains each uefi/bios setting in crayon. that being said I could really use all the guides for doing so step by step. I refuse to use the "ez bios mode".

thank you.

Here is my setup:

Case: Lian Li PC-V354 (fans replaced with enermax fans + 120mm fan at back. 2x120mm fans intake, 1x 140mm exhausting 1x 120mm exhausting

Mobo: Asus maximus V Gene

cpu: i7 3770k

cpu cooler: Enermax ETD-T60-TB CPU Cooler (Down Flow)

ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB)DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

SSD: Samsung ssd 840 pro 256 gb

psu: enermax platimax 1000 watt (EPM1000EWT)

GPU: asus gtx 670 Direct cu ii (non top)

Sound: creative titanium hd

Blu ray: asus BW-12B1ST

I'd start with the Intel ethernet port driver (odds are the port won't work with the generic Windows driver), from there I'd get the latest GPU driver for your card and then your soundcard driver.

If you're sticking to stock, there isn't much you need to futz with in the UEFI. Especially given that you're not running multiple HDDs/SSDs or Intel SSD caching. About the only thing you might futz with is making sure XMP mode in the RAM is enabled.

Asus boards ship with GREAT documentation explaining in readable terms what things are and where they are systematically both in hardware and in the UEFI. It is literally all there in digestable format in the motherboard manual-that you can also get in PDF off the Asustek website.

PS-Your PSU is WAY overkill...as in overkill in wattage by a factor of two. I don't know if everything is bought yet or not.

thank u for the response skripka, and yes the psu is overkill, its fully intended to be that way for multiple reasons one of which is it was its very quiet and small and two, the same price, on special for 249$ no tax/free shipping, as the ENERMAX Platimax EPM850EWT 850W. if youve ever had a psu go belly up youd understand :) I did read the manual and the descriptions about the bios/uefi settings but there are more than a few that arent very helpful and going from a convention bios layout to this new Uefi, well... lets just say there is a bit of a learning curve.

I read up enough to know what hardware would work together, adequate cooling with silence being a priority, its not my first build but like I said, between the bios being completely new for me and little things like multiple usb 3.0 drivers and sata drivers (intel/asmedia) and all the intel proprietary "intel storage/ rapid start/ yada yada, i just figured there might be a guide already out there that I havent found yet that would make it so I dont have to reinvent the wheel. dont get me wrong...I could go through setting by setting on my own, but why suffer through that task if I dont have to?

As far as drivers go, I've always installed windows, lan drivers, windows update, the chipset drivers, then soundcard/Video, and usb and everything else. Being that I just built this system, I dont want to be arrogant and assume that I'm still familiar with current technology, truth is I fell behind by a few years and could really use the peace of mind knowing that I set up everything Uefi/bios and driver wise properly... So pls keep the advice coming....Im all eyes/ears :)

PS: will try to upload pics soon and yes...Monumental difference between onboard sound and titanium HD!

Last edited:
bump... can I get at least a recommendation for drivers or common bios/uefi mistakes?

I have this mobo. I have installed Win 7 and Win 8 on it. I haven't had any drivers problems or bios problems. I never installed the Asus suite softwares as it at least sounds like bloatware. I just installed the basic drivers. NOt sure what you are afraid of.

The ASUS EZ-Mode isn't what you think it is. All it really does is show you the most important UEFI information distilled in a single screen. It allows you to set power savings / performance power profiles and adjust the system's boot order. It's fine for what it is. The advanced mode obviously allows you to do those things and far more but the Republic of Gamers boards are not exactly for the novice when it comes to actual tuning. They have far more settings than you really need. They are geared towards those people who want to take the system to the absolute edge with regard to performance. They are designed for the best overclocking performance on air water, or LN2 cooling. That being said you should generally be able to get the system stable on F5 default value settings. All of the ROG boards I've ever tested could be handled in that manner. Though I will say that there are instances where some memory modules will necessitate more comprehensive tuning for stability. But that's pretty rare in my experience. I'd have also gone with dual 8GB chips rather than 4x4GB modules. Populating all four slots works but sometimes requires additional tuning.

As for drivers you should always install your motherboard chipset drivers first and foremost. Those should always be job #1. After that it doesn't really matter. I do tend to install video card drivers as the very last thing.

If you are having issues I'd set the board's UEFI to the defaults with the F5 hotkey. Then I'd go in and ensure the boot order is correct for what you need then load my OS. If you have stability issues after that, my money is on memory related settings. You need to ensure the memory voltage is specified the way it needs to be. If you are having trouble do not use XMP memory profiles. Set the memory profile to manual and manually key in timing values for the first group of timings. Ensure the DRAM voltage is correct. If those timings do not work you may need to increase your VCCSA voltage slightly. A setting of 1.0 should be sufficient for 4GB modules.

Last edited:
thank u dan. yes the rog series uefi is not as obvious or user freindly to everyone, hence the help requested...I managed to find a few youtube videos walking through it and getting more info on each individual setting. Hopefully when I'm done I'll post a 4 dummies version of setting up this bios without resorting to the ez mode.

as for drivers correct me if im wrong but is this order correct?

1. chipset
2. lan
3. sound
4. video
5. sata 3 (intel)
6. sata 3 (asmedia)
7. usb3 (intel)
8. usb3 (asmedia)

If you don't know what the bios settings do and do not even know how to install drivers, you probably should not be refusing to use "ez bios mode".

thank u dan. yes the rog series uefi is not as obvious or user freindly to everyone, hence the help requested...I managed to find a few youtube videos walking through it and getting more info on each individual setting. Hopefully when I'm done I'll post a 4 dummies version of setting up this bios without resorting to the ez mode.

as for drivers correct me if im wrong but is this order correct?

1. chipset
2. lan
3. sound
4. video
5. sata 3 (intel)
6. sata 3 (asmedia)
7. usb3 (intel)
8. usb3 (asmedia)

The Intel chipset driver will cover the chipset, usually the LAN, SATA 3.0 controller as it's native to the chipset and USB 3.0 controllers as well. I do video last. After the chipset driver is loaded the rest doesn't really matter.

If you don't know what the bios settings do and do not even know how to install drivers, you probably should not be refusing to use "ez bios mode".

this kind of crap isnt helpful...

The Intel chipset driver will cover the chipset, usually the LAN, SATA 3.0 controller as it's native to the chipset and USB 3.0 controllers as well. I do video last. After the chipset driver is loaded the rest doesn't really matter.

thank u so much for the driver explanation...so your saying the intel chipset driver covers the chip, sata3, usb3 but I still need to install the asmedia sata3 and usb3 looking like this:

1. chipset driver
2. lan
3. Asmedia sata3 and usb3
4. audio
5. video

Update 1-16-13:

I also found this video that helped alot with the uefi/bios settings for anyone who is interested. I will add other links to any other useful information that have on this UEFI/bios and drivers for this board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylXztqO0LU

another link with the minimum drivers needed to run this board:

which are according to asus:

1.intel inf utility(chipset driver)
2.management engine
3.network/lan controlloer driver
4.sound
5.video

below is the explanation with the link to official asus forum.

"After the operating system is installed, you want to install the latest Intel Inf Utiltiy and then the management engine.. depending on the processor you have installed.. v.8 for a third generaltion core i processor... but beyond that, except for network controller drivers, sound and video, there really isn't anything else that is absolutely necessary. Windows 7 has everything else....

The management engine is important for some internal system bus managemet that thermal control functions in the system.

Generally, if you want to overclock a discrete video card for some reason, the card manufacturer will have a utility that will allow you to do that... so you wouldn't need the Graphics Accellerator software...

That said, in general, it is really best to use the 'Install All' function available for the support CD.. that will enable all the functionality af a very feature rich board .... "

here is the link:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...E&id=20121005111205189&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

however... I also found this link in the forums here suggesting these drivers...

80% of the ROG software is nonsense, window themes, themed version of CPU-Z, window gadgets, ROG GameFirst network bandwidth allocater, GPU/CPU overclocking tools, voltage controls, and other junk. Your core drivers are going to be..

The Intel and Asmedia USB 3 Drivers
LAN Drivers
Intel Chipset Drivers
Realtek Audio Drivers
Intel Graphics Accelerator (if your going to use the onboard graphics)
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB 2 Utility (for audio tweaking, semi-optional)

here is the link for that...
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038632589#post1038632589

I will try both settings within the week and do more research to see what works best.

Last edited:
update: im trying to confirm the drivers needed from asus phone support.... first and last time I call them, worse than dell phone support or on par... trying the online help now...fingers crossed.

Last edited:
So, i had success on the driver front figuring out exactly which drivers were needed without having to install the asus ai bloatware... that being said I'm just working on figureing out which is better the windows sata 3 controler or the intel one. once that is done ill post what i found and then keep working on a basic bios setup which I am also close to completing...

Back