Asus Maximus V Extreme bios 1309 warning

wixter

Weaksauce
I wanted to pass along a warning to anyone who may be considering the latest bios update to version 1309. I'm currently in the middle of trying to rebuild my main operating system partition after flashing to 1309.

I'm booting into Windows 7 64-bit on 2 Crucial m4 ssd's set up in as raid1 on the 2 Intel sata ports onboard. When you flash to 1309 it pretty much resets everything in the bios to the default settings, one of which turns off the onboard raid. No problem I thought, just go in a change it back. It seemed simple enough until Windows tried to boot, at which point I kept getting errors across the board from missing BCD boot files, to page fault BSODs, and on and on.

To make a long story short, the 1309 bios does not appear to like the sata ports in RAID mode; AHCI seems ok. For reference, I was previously running version 0704 without any issues whatsoever.

I'll post more info on my progress as it comes up, but I've already switched over to the other onboard (earlier) bios and am still trying to rebuild.

Update 1:
Well I'm going to have to restore the backup image to my ssd's later today slaved up on another pc. I was unable to perform a restore at all directly on the system itself from existing resources. I did also want to point out that both of my ssd's are running firmware version 000F.

I switched back and forth between the onboard bios several times last night but to make a long story short I was successfully able to get 1309 to recognize my ssd's in a raid1. But this still does not address the core problem which was upon flashing the bios and a reset of all settings that it effectively tore up my raid1 config.

I'd appreciate hearing any other feedback on this latest version from others, but hopefully my second update will be later tonight after the system is restored completely.

I thought it was fairly common practice to reset defaults before flashing a BIOS, which would mean probably unplugging your RAID array until you get it all set back up again.

It is, but breaking RAID arrays shouldn't be common practice...

Isn't there is a warning about that when you download the new BIOS? Better safe than sorry, I guess. I always unplug my drives when I do a flash just to avoid any problems. Not really sure how to help him now that the array is broken though, that is really annoying.

Asus doesn't really include any information about this update except to say "update system stability". Since this board is still relatively new that's the primary reason I decided to go ahead with it.

I'm not absolving myself of fault either. I certainly could have unplugged drives from the board before proceeding, then reset everything back the way it was. But the thing that gets me is, after I discovered the first time it was reset, and then I immediately rebooted and set it to raid mode, the boot up status for the Intel raid indicated the array was working ok and was normal so i didn't think anything of it.

At least now I have confirmed that the 1309 bios does finally play nice with onboard RAID, but at the expense of starting from scratch. I have a full backup of that drive from last week but won't know if it's successful until I get home later.

Final Update....
Am back up and running under the 1309 bios with raid1 intact again. Thankfully my backup was good. Anyway, I fully realize most of this may be my fault for not pulling the drives just to be on the safe side while doing the bios update. The thing that still doesn't make sense though is even though the bios defaults to non-raid on the sata ports, and the o/s on the drives booted up fine the first time, why were there major issues like different BSODs and not finding the boot files?

If the 2 drives were different, the raid controller would have seen this and indicated "rebuilding" in yellow as it usually does. But it didn't; everything was green and showed normal. It just seems like the update broke the mirror since it is an onboard controller.

I hope this thread can be of some use to others; make sure your stuff is backed up before you flash the bios, but then that's always good advice.

I'm having the same issue. My OS is on a SSD and I have a RAID0 setup so my SATA is set to RAID. I got it up and running but when the system boots it sits on the Starting Windows screen for 2 minutes. Also when I tried to reinstall Windows I used the Repair option then command prompt. I satrted Diskpart to align my SSD and it saw the drive but said there was "No Media Available"
I may be wrong but I think it's trying to operate my system like it's on a non-mbr disk?
I also tried to roll back to the last bios and couldn't. Kept getting the Bios out of date or something like that.
Did you get your system up and running by reinstalling your RAID array?
It doesn't hang during the loading windows screen?

Back