Asus Maximus IV Z68 Mobotherboard

All it needs is a full cover block, I'm considering this bad boy for a folder/htpc rig.

im not to crazy about the z68's ive seen so far, not enough PCI Express 2.1 slots.

2 pcie slots? What the hell for? Real power freaks run 3 GPUs not 2 underclocked weakling 6990s or 590s.

SSD caching is meh... weak sauce at best. Get a real SSD and be done with it or ram drive your swap.

Get a real board!

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_Extreme/

........fine 6990 and 590 is not weak but I stand my ground on real power freaks running 3 cards. Id run 6 if I was allowed.

Then... go buy a Maximus Extreme? :rolleyes: Why are you in this thread? OP should have included 'Gene' in the title, but obviously this being an mATX board it applies solely to a niche of builders. Not even with multi-GPU systems in mind; there isn't much sense including a 1x or 4x slot after the first x16, when you can simply have that second x16 usable for any situation. Obviously with smaller form factors some additional planning comes into play, rather than 'slap on as many, and any type of PCI slot, and call it a day'.

Michael Jordan called, he wants his colors back.

Mj-slam_dunk_comp.jpg

Then... go buy a Maximus Extreme? :rolleyes: Why are you in this thread? OP should have included 'Gene' in the title, but obviously this being an mATX board it applies solely to a niche of builders. Not even with multi-GPU systems in mind; there isn't much sense including a 1x or 4x slot after the first x16, when you can simply have that second x16 usable for any situation. Obviously with smaller form factors some additional planning comes into play, rather than 'slap on as many, and any type of PCI slot, and call it a day'.

Haha, he did and I as well! These little Gene's though are pretty cool for their target market, I've got to admit.

Nice. Been waiting for it, but too late. I ran a Maximus III Gene with my i5 750 and loved it, but I went with the P8P67-M Pro for this build. Guess I'll wait for a Maximus V Gene for my next build...

Troll more, child.

Whats trolling about what I said? OP said (in a rhetorical fashion) the sexiest motherboard and referenced the Gene with a link not in the title or subject. I disagreed. If I was trolling I would have said something stupid like:

AMD will smoke your stupid maximusty crappy intel junk.

But I did not say that. I pointed out that the board is not the sexiest in my opinion. I do own a IV extreme and I have to admit that Asus should have made the Z68 in extreme. What is the point of paying $400 for a board that will only second best the P67 version that is less money with more features?

So I will keep trolling away child ;)

It's a GENE board, they have 2 full length pci-e as normal.

Some dense people in this thread.

Whats trolling about what I said? OP said (in a rhetorical fashion) the sexiest motherboard and referenced the Gene with a link not in the title or subject. I disagreed. If I was trolling I would have said something stupid like:

AMD will smoke your stupid maximusty crappy intel junk.

But I did not say that. I pointed out that the board is not the sexiest in my opinion. I do own a IV extreme and I have to admit that Asus should have made the Z68 in extreme. What is the point of paying $400 for a board that will only second best the P67 version that is less money with more features?

So I will keep trolling away child ;)

Uhm, maybe you forget the part where a 6990 is easily OCed to 950+ghz core and 1500 memory.

How is that two underclocked GPUs, I would like to know? (hell it's not even that hard you can do all that from the CCC on +20 powertune)

The Z68 in a Maximus? Huh... I was expecting that Asus would save the Z68 for their Rampage line. Unless the full-size-ATX Z68 will be a Rampage and the Maximus IV will stay P67?

ASUS is taking a niche product and making it MORE niche. Why they would not produce/market a full-size ATX Z68 ROG board first is beyond me. The resources shouldn't be a problem, and the market for a M4E in a Z68 flavor would attract a much larger portion of the market then a micro-ATX ROG board.

Like my friend said, a Gene motherboard is good if you shop backwards, buying a micro-atx case only to THEN build around it.. I'm sure it will come eventually, but even Asus' ROG website seems to only show the Gene as their only Z68 ROG motherboard as of this point. The decision may simply be that the M4E is still fairly new and had the B3 revision from it's inception (if that makes buyers feel more comfortable with their purchase).

At least ASUS is well ahead of the game than EVGA in P67/Z68 production/marketing.

The Z68 in a Maximus? Huh... I was expecting that Asus would save the Z68 for their Rampage line. Unless the full-size-ATX Z68 will be a Rampage and the Maximus IV will stay P67?

ASUS is taking a niche product and making it MORE niche. Why they would not produce/market a full-size ATX Z68 ROG board first is beyond me. The resources shouldn't be a problem, and the market for a M4E in a Z68 flavor would attract a much larger portion of the market then a micro-ATX ROG board.

Like my friend said, a Gene motherboard is good if you shop backwards, buying a micro-atx case only to THEN build around it.. I'm sure it will come eventually, but even Asus' ROG website seems to only show the Gene as their only Z68 ROG motherboard as of this point. The decision may simply be that the M4E is still fairly new and had the B3 revision from it's inception (if that makes buyers feel more comfortable with their purchase).

At least ASUS is well ahead of the game than EVGA in P67/Z68 production/marketing.
this is ONLY about the Maximus IV GENE-Z, so far

There is a planned Z68 Formula/Extreme board, but not yet (goto the asus rog forums for that info).

As for Rampage... ASUS reserved that for the top end line. Not the "mainstream" (Intel's designation, not mine) sockets. Mainstream sockets only get "maximus"

As for Rampage... ASUS reserved that for the top end line. Not the "mainstream" (Intel's designation, not mine) sockets. Mainstream sockets only get "maximus"
Sockets…? Oh yeah, I'm forgetting about LGA 2011.

You quoted my post but did you even read the whole thing?

you obviously didn't read my entire post. If you wanted ATX, ASUS already mentioned such upcomming products via the ROG Forums, the actual source of all these pictures in the PCPER link. Don't think for a second PCPER actually had any insider access to these photos :p (unrelated, but I felt like adding that bit in :D)

EDIT: well, I realize the ROG forums aren't that well organized, so might as well:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2299-The-new-Z68-chipset-and-what-to-expect-from-ASUS <--Z68 announcement. Also annonces "ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z" upcomming.

as for the pics

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2334-Maximus-IV-Gene-Z-sneak-peaks!

Last edited:
you obviously didn't read my entire post. If you wanted ATX, ASUS already mentioned such upcomming products via the ROG Forums, the actual source of all these pictures in the PCPER link. Don't think for a second PCPER actually had any insider access to these photos :p (unrelated, but I felt like adding that bit in :D)

EDIT: well, I realize the ROG forums aren't that well organized, so might as well:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2299-The-new-Z68-chipset-and-what-to-expect-from-ASUS <--Z68 announcement. Also annonces "ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z" upcomming.

as for the pics

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2334-Maximus-IV-Gene-Z-sneak-peaks!

alright, good to see the Z variation coming at some point. They did the bare minimum in announcing it, but it's there.

btw, your reply was unclear earlier b/c it was hard to tell who you replying to since you quoted two people. oh well. :p :D

alright, good to see the Z variation coming at some point. They did the bare minimum in announcing it, but it's there.

btw, your reply was unclear earlier b/c it was hard to tell who you replying to since you quoted two people. oh well. :p :D

oh, I'm sorry :( I'll claim my nook color as an excuse :D hee hee :p

as for the announcement, I could of sworn I saw somewhere in the ROG forums ASUS was not including a video out for the Max4 ATX board, but I cannot find it, now... sorry!! Based on Brian@ASUS' statement on Computex timing and launch, it seems like ASUS was simply focused on getting the M4Gene out the door, after the Janurary poll on Max4Formula vs Max4Gene vs CrosshairGene (max4GENE won by a long shot), and Brian implied the decision was influenced by the poll... I dunno, maybe it was that? about 500 people helping to decide the next ASUS board out the door? :p

Maybe I should of went to sleep when the clock was still reading 3:00 AM o.0

Back