Asus Maximus IV Gene.Z / Cant Reinstall OS

Johnsen

n00b
Allright, you guys are my last hope. Ive tryed for three days now.

The thing is that i want to make a new clean install of windows. But when ever i try to boot from a dvd it seems that the drive dont even bother reading dvd. Now I tryed with a USB stick formated in fat 32 with the .iso file on it. And if I choose to boot from that, it simpy skips it, and go right into windows.
Here is what i tryed so far:

Googled every single possibilty.
Updated/Flashed the Asus mobo firmware/bios.
Updated the lite-on DVD drive firmware (ATAPI ihas122)
Changed to bootdisc to be the dvd drive and/or the usb drive (it just skips to the next priorety and loads windows)
Unpluged all discs ecpet for the OS drive and the dvd drive (same as above)
Disbled the disk so only the dvd drive is left as a possible boot drive (getting the message to insert bootdrive and press a key)
Tryed to reset the cmos 1. via the button on the mobo, and after that i unpluged everything and took out the battery.

Still, it seems that it wont use the drive in the bootup, wich i super weird.

Any ideas?

Fingers crossed - Kasper

What version of Windows are you trying to install?

Making a bootable USB stick to install Windows 7 is not as simple as just copying the *.iso to the stick, unfortunately. Likewise for Windows 8.

However, MS has made it very easy to create a bootable Windows 7/8 installer USB stick through a tool called Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (yes, it works for Windows 8 even though it isn't specifically named that way). Instructions and download link here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

I mention this because it sounds like your USB stick is not bootable, despite your efforts.

It is also possible that your particular motherboard won't boot from that particular USB stick you are using. I have seen this happen occasionally, when trying to install Linuxes from a USB stick: a system simply refuses to boot off a USB stick, or locks up during the boot, for no apparent reason. The only solution is to create the bootable medium on a different USB stick. I don't know whether this is due to some of my USB sticks being defective, or what, it's just a weird thing I run into occasionally.

I would try those two things and forget about the DVD drive. It sounds like your DVD drive is perhaps broken, since it won't boot from an install disc.

Your DVD drive is probably bad and you're not using a USB stick correctly.

What version of Windows are you trying to install?

Making a bootable USB stick to install Windows 7 is not as simple as just copying the *.iso to the stick, unfortunately. Likewise for Windows 8.

However, MS has made it very easy to create a bootable....

You sir, ar a God among men! Thank you!

Your DVD drive is probably bad and you're not using a USB stick correctly.
Nope... ;)

I take it the Microsoft tool allowed you to create a bootable USB medium? Glad I could help.

Installing off a USB medium is definitely the way to go today. I haven't installed anything off a CD-R or DVD-R in quite a while. My notebook (Samsung Series 3) doesn't even have an optical drive.

Installing off a USB medium is definitely the way to go today. I haven't installed anything off a CD-R or DVD-R in quite a while. My notebook (Samsung Series 3) doesn't even have an optical drive.

In my new PC build I did not even buy an optical drive. I do have one in my home server, however, should I really need it.

I *almost* didn't buy a DVD-RW drive for my desktop build last summer, but...eh, it was $10, and I was feeling nostalgiac. And I still have some CD's (yes, audio CD's, gasp!) I haven't got around to ripping to .flac.

I have an external, USB DVD-RW drive for those rare occasions when I absolutely must access an optical disc on my laptop.

Back