Asus M4A78T-E

yadnom

Limp Gawd
I posted this in the OS subforum. Reposting here to see if anyone else has any ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------
Am I doing something wrong here?

Last night I tried installing Vista and Windows 7 onto a sata drive. These were clean install attempts. When getting to the point where its asks to load the drivers, I point it to the drivers I downloaded for my mobo, but after it installs the driver, it still does not detect the drive. This happened in both Vista and 7. I was trying to install the x64 bit version for both. If I go and reload the driver again, it no longer shows up as compatible hardware.

Drive shows up in BIOS just fine.

I tried with the drivers off of the mobo disk too and same results. I'm a little stumped.

Also tried AHCI vs IDE mode for SATA, no difference.

The drive was working as I just pulled it from another machine earlier that day.

I've installed 7 before on the same drive on an older Intel board and it worked fine after installing drivers.
------------------------------------------------

I've since updated BIOS, run only 1 stick of RAM and use onboard video. Still not able to get the drive to show up. I'm at the point during install where it asks where I want to install Windows, but no drives are listed. I then try installing the AHCI Raid compatible drivers from the mobo disk. It installs but no drives still show.

I'm going to check the drive again in another system. It should be a working drive as it was just pulled working.

Any other ideas? The drive is an Seagate Barracuda 120GB drive.

Unfortunately I have no other SATA drives to test. This is a new build. New mobo, cpu, memory. The drive I ordered was DOA, so I was trying to install Vista/7 on this drive to play around until the i receive the RMA drive.

I was messing around during the install process, and found out that if I choose the repair option then go and load the files, that it sees the drive there.

I think I found the problem. Wasn't the drivers, it was the drive. The drive was an NTFS formatted secondary drive from a previous Windows 7 32 bit install. After I wiped the disk partitions, I was able to get the Windows 7 install to recognize the drive. Must have been the previous 32 bit partition. I guess I learned something new. First venture into 64 bit OS.

Install hasn't completed yet, but it's zipping along.

Thanks.

congratz on the self fix, I was looking at that same motherboard with a phenom II X4 940 and a 4890 vid card. let me know what you think of it after you've played around with windows 7 64 bit.

Back