Asus M4A785-M and 960T - not turbo-ing

venm11

2[H]4U
I slapped this computer together from parts last week and noticed that the Phenom 960T is running all cores at the same speed at either 800, 1600 or 3.0ghz. There's no sign of 3.4ghz "turbo", even throwing only one thread at it.

I'm testing it with superpi, and watching speeds / temps with cpu-z, hardware monitor and amd overdrive. This is on windows 7 64.

This is an asus M4A785-M which is AM3 and DDR2. It has most of the tweaking features you'd expect. The 960T is fully unlockable and appears stable with 6 cores at 3 ghz, and I assume it's turning the 'turbo' off when acc is on. But turning all that off and making sure the turbo is enabled in bios doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any ideas?

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think they will turbo when using the ddr2 controller, I never had a ddr2 machine turbo.

I am not even sure the older phenoms 2s even had turbo

i don't see how this could have any relationship to the type of memory in use. It could be an AM2+ power issue (split planes?), but this board is supposed to be AM3.

I have the one model above that board with DDR3. Disable any power saving functions in the bios. Also from what I remember reading once on XS (could be wrong) some of these older AM2+/AM3 mATX boards have limited power issues for higher wattage rated CPU's which prevents Turbo from kicking in.

The Asus product page does not mention anything about boosted speeds with Turbo Phenoms.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785M/specifications/

The newer DDR3 AM3 second and third gen mobo's fixed this inconsistent problem.

Try a BIOS update (if a fix is suggested for non-Turboing under load).

You know I used to have this board paired with a Phenom II 840T(2.9/3.2 turbo) and I don't recall it turbo'ing either.

thanks for feedback, guys. I guess I'll have to forgo the turbo.

I'm actually more perturbed that all the cores seem to run at the same speed. I'm just running superpi with one thread to test both of these issues, and with this they don't appear to be running at different speeds. It might be that the thread is restarting and hopping around...? I was expecting to see different speeds and voltages.

I remember having to install the amd dual-core optimizer back in with my X2 windsor w/xp to get them to run at different speeds (if i recall correctly).

Back