Asus M3N78-VM $65 shipped

i thought 8200 boards had issues with 1080i OTA recordings. Id be all over this if it wasnt an issue.

I don't have any problems with interlaced material on my 8200 chip, or any other 8200 builds I've done. People exaggerate. If anything, just deinterlace it through re-encoding.

This is a very happy deal! I would get one of these for a perfect integrated video budget build.

The new AMD 780 and nVidia 8000/9000 series sure provide a better Aero and video playback experience than any other integrated we've ever had before.

/sniff
stop it, you're gonna make me cry...

I LUV U GUYS!

Btw, W1retap, have your ever done a Hybrid SLI with any of your HTPC's? I've got an 9800GTX+ I'm going to try it out with, just for kicks. =)

I know I might get better/more answers in the motherboard thread, but does anyone know the difference between the 8100, 8200 and 8300 chipsets?

running one of these in my htpc right now. great board! i think the only difference between the 8300 and the 8200 is shader clock speed. not a big deal, the 8300 isnt worth the extra cash.

Btw, W1retap, have your ever done a Hybrid SLI with any of your HTPC's? I've got an 9800GTX+ I'm going to try it out with, just for kicks. =)
I have not tried it. I don't use my htpcs for gaming and I haven't built a dual purpose one for any clients.

im thinking of trying the hybrid sli also. i had my main rig connected to my tv before i built an htpc, and i miss having the graphics power. heat may be a big problem in a htpc case though.

...only difference between the 8300 and the 8200 is shader clock speed. not a big deal, the 8300 isnt worth the extra cash.

OK, I've been watching the M3N78-EM (8300) and M3A78-EM (HD3200) for my HTPC build. (newegg for $89.99 and $78.99 respectively)

So, are you saying I should jump on this instead of either of those??
(btw, ZZF had the 8300 board last week for the same price as 8200 today. too bad I missed that one. :()

Last edited:
i snagged mine from neweggs open box items, i think it was 56 shipped. no i/o plate though, and that is 7 bucks shipped from asus. wish this deal was around when i was looking :)

Replacing my Popcorn Hour wasn't even on the radar when I woke up this morning, but since w1retap and some of you other veterans thought this was a good deal, I jumped on it.

Would you kind souls please spare me days of research and please suggest a AMD processor for a HTPC build? I am only planning to use this machine to for .mkv playback via HDMI. Anything else I need [H] Gods of home theater???

Just a 45w AMD X2 would work great. (ex: 4850e) Run it passive with the Scythe Mini Ninja for a nice quiet build.

Thanks w1retap.... Since $10 isn't an issue with me, should I just get the AMD 5050e (instead of the 4850e) for running Vista media center?

Doesn't matter. Save yourself the money and go with the cheaper one.

I believe this is what we used in our HTPC... works great... we stuck a 9850 Phenom in there because of issues associated with DXVA and hardware decoding..

Only issue we have now is we're running out of HDD space, HD Movie rips and DVD rips with MyMovies are up to 3TB now... and we used a LianLi 37 which only has room for 2 HDD's (we stuck in a 3rd 1.5TB WD in there) and now got a 1TB external connected via e-sata...

damn, after thinking about it, im going to snag another one and upgrade the bedroom pc. i had a be2400 brisbane x2 cpu in mine, but am testing out a kuma at the moment. the kuma adds a bit more heat, but i am able to use cool n quiet, which i was not able to do with my brisbane cpu and have decent playback of hd content. so it might be a wash with power consumption, im not sure. if you check the fs thread here or at anandtech, a kuma can be had for about 50 bucks shipped. for 65 bucks i can make another room HD capable :D

Last edited:
Props to OP and ZipZoomfly should give you a tip. Just ordered $200 worth of htpc parts there because of this deal.

This is an excellent mobo, even at $75. I've got one in my HTPC and it hasn't given me any problems with any of the Blu-Ray movies that I've watched so far.

I got a voice mail from ZZF, requesting that I call to confirm billing and shipping addresses. That's weird 'cause I've ordered plenty from them and always had items shipped to my work address. ???

OK, just noticed that I have TWO order notifications in my email, with sequential order #'s. WTH? I only ordered ONE. LMAO, that must be why they tried to call me.

:rolleyes:

All I know is I better get at least one.

Back