ASUS Launches GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS today announced the availability of the GeForce® GTX 780 DirectCU II OC graphics card, the new highest-end offering in its NVIDIA-based graphics card range that delivers an amazing gaming experience. The card features an ASUS-designed PCB and all new DirectCU II cooling system, as well as DIGI+ VRM digital power delivery and robust Super Alloy Power VRM components.

The ASUS GeForce® GTX 780 DirectCU II OC features an NVIDIA® GK110-300 GPU with 2304 CUDA cores and 3GB of GDDR5 video memory on a 384-bit interface. For avid PC gamers who demand ultra-high detail and readiness for resolutions beyond full HD 1080p, the GeForce® GTX 780 DirectCU II OC card delivers extreme cooling, stability, and endurance well above that of reference card designs.

7trq.jpg

I decided on the EVGA w/ ACX since it's able to be flashed with the TI Bios (being a reference design) instead of the MSI Frozr Gaming or this new Asus DCUII - both of which have custom pcbs. Hope I made the right choice - just sold my reference GTX 780 for $620+.

Had the GTX 580 and 680 DCUII cards - really loved them for the cooling performance and quietness (triple slot coolers). This new GTX 780 has a dual slot cooler and unfortunately got rid of the quiet part which made me a fan in the past.

Not that my opinion matters; but my only issue with these large heat sink dual fan style cards is that they are heavy and they sag when mounted horizontally.

i have the 770 version of the asus card and it comes with a back plate and dont see any sag at all. its a very solid piece of hardware i assume the 780 would be just the same.

Not that my opinion matters; but my only issue with these large heat sink dual fan style cards is that they are heavy and they sag when mounted horizontally.

Depends on the card and design. The asus DC2, at least the ones i've used - haven't had this issue.

Yeah, the aluminum backplate on the DCu models helps add a lot stiffness, you end up with a PCB encased in a pretty substantial aluminum box. Just make sure to screw it into the support bracket in your case -- even if your case has some other fancy clip/snap/whatever system, use screws -- because that bracket is where the weight of the aluminum box will be resting.

I just got this in today from Newegg and it's a beast. Their overclocking utility is total garbage even though it's based on RivaTuner like the rest, so I am using MSI Afterburner instead. I currently have it at 1228mhz core, 6840mhz mem and it's peaking at 82C and seemingly rock solid. Pretty pleased so far!

I just got this in today from Newegg and it's a beast. Their overclocking utility is total garbage even though it's based on RivaTuner like the rest, so I am using MSI Afterburner instead. I currently have it at 1228mhz core, 6840mhz mem and it's peaking at 82C and seemingly rock solid. Pretty pleased so far!

Just got mine too and I love it. The OC utility is ok except that there is no setting to apply the OC on startup. Duh! I'm using AB too.

Running 2 x 780 DCII's at around 1215 max boost clock. After removing the cooler, scraping off the 100lbs of factory TIM, and re-applying a nice layer of MX4; Temps are usually around high 70's except for Metro and Crysis 3 where they peak around 83C using the auto fan profile.

I'm really annoyed that I can't seem to get BF3 to run as well as it should, since the GPU utilization never gets consistently above ~70%. I think that's a problem with the engine though, not the card or drivers. It's the only game I've tried that you can essentially get AA/AF for free since it's the only way to raise the GPU utilization and framerate stays unaffected.

Even if you are getting 70% on each, that's still 140% total, so 40% over what a single card can do.

Even if you are getting 70% on each, that's still 140% total, so 40% over what a single card can do.

I only have the single card. I've been reading a lot of posts about this issue though, and it appears to be related to the game engine more than anything else. Just annoying that I should seemingly be able to get another 20-30fps out of it.

careful....dont let it catch fire! lol because it wont be RMA'd

I70Utuy.gif

I only have the single card. I've been reading a lot of posts about this issue though, and it appears to be related to the game engine more than anything else. Just annoying that I should seemingly be able to get another 20-30fps out of it.

Agreed, that is strange.. I hope you figure it out! :)

This is great! (And SO very applicable.)

Back