ASUS Launches First Intel Thunderbolt Certified Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
Further demonstrating its market leading innovation and technological leadership, ASUS is proud to announce the launch of its P8Z77-V PREMIUM motherboard — the flagship of the P8Z77 Series and the first Intel certified motherboard in the market to offer the latest Thunderbolt connection interface. The PREMIUM designation has been reserved for only the best motherboards with the latest technologies, and the P8Z77-V PREMIUM maintains this standard. In addition to the onboard Thunderbolt connection on the P8Z77-V PREMIUM, ASUS also offers the same technology on the P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT to give consumers a wider range of choices.

Gah - just bought the deluxe model.
However, I think there is a motherboard header for Thunderbolt on my board.

Oh Steve, the link takes it to the deluxe model (mine), not the Thunderbolt enabled one, the Premium

Godamnit, "thunderbolt" is shittiest name ever. Sounds like some over camp 80s film or something. Also makes no sense as thunder is sound not light... Can't they just change it back to (and release the full version of) lightpeak? Still, seems pointless changing motherboards for this right now with nothing to connect it to.

Lightpeak was the fiber-optic version. Thunderbolt is the electrical version, so the name kind of makes sense.

I just got my Deluxe model also but after going though the manual I don't see any header for thunderbolt on it. It looks like they removed the 4 USB2.0 ports in the back to fit the thunderbolt connector.

I have to say it is an impressive board I wonder what it'll go for with a 32GB SSD built in.

Back