ASUS K54C Laptop Touch Pad Issue

I am trying to fix an issue on my parent's laptop that is really irritating that I can't seem to fix on my own. Been a PC tech for years, but somehow the things that seem the simplest are the ones that get your the most frustrated lol. The laptop in question is an ASUS K54C which has an ELAN touchpad built-in. They prefer using a wireless USB mouse, and have used the same one for a few years now. Usually the touchpad is disabled, but somehow it got turned on after they let someone use the laptop. Normally you just hold down the function key on the keyboard, and hit F9. Which doubles as the toggle for enable/disable of the touchpad. It no longer will do that tho for some reason. I've tried going into the mouse settings, but I can't access the ELAN Touchpad settings, even when I unplug the USB mouse (see attached photo). I don't know what else to do, and for once google has seemed to fail me. I can't find any helpful links on this issue.

So i'm hoping someone on here has experienced this issue and knows how to remedy it. There used to be a Touchpad setting icon in the system tray but its no longer there.

20190925-110405.jpg

Maybe go into the BIOS and see if it got disabled.

Or check and see if the associated service is disabled.

Also some laptops have a way of switching the Fn key and the Alt key for reversing the top row of function keys.

Back