ASUS is downgrading me to a GTX 780 on a GTX 780Ti RMA

Well, yeah. They likely had to get approval up the food chain to upgrade your old 780 to a current model. Seriously. Were you just fishing for an upgrade this entire time? I wouldn't put it past some people.

Seriously?

They told him they didn't have any 780Ti cards in stock and tried to downgrade him to a vanilla 780, after having already sent him dud cards. I've received dud RMAs before and let me tell you, it will piss you off if it happens more than once on the same product. Hell, it pisses me off when it happens once as any of these products should be QC'd before they leave the warehouse. When he took it up the chain they relented and said they'd upgrade him, AS THEY ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED TO DO, because it states so in their warranty, due to them running out of 780Ti stock. Then suddenly, right as they were going to ship a 980, they found a 780Ti in stock to fulfill his original request from months ago.

How... wonderfully... convenient... for... them.

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Turned out he probably sent back functional cards that he was jacking with to begin with. My intuition tells me not to trust this guy as far as I can throw him.

Well, yeah. They likely had to get approval up the food chain to upgrade your old 780 to a current model. Seriously. Were you just fishing for an upgrade this entire time? I wouldn't put it past some people.

Did you read the thread title and content at all? They originally told Clutch that they were out of the 780ti DC2 and were going to send him a vanilla 780 because the 780ti is in the 780 family. Then a mass amount of runarounds from there...

Did you read the thread title and content at all? They originally told Clutch that they were out of the 780ti DC2 and were going to send him a vanilla 780 because the 780ti is in the 780 family. Then a mass amount of runarounds from there...

The run around started when he asked (demanded?) for a new card worth a hell of a lot more than the replacements he was receiving.

The run around started when he asked (demanded?) for a new card worth a hell of a lot more than the replacements he was receiving.

If you are not paying attention to this thread then get out, the run around started when I first received a defective card from RMA and they would not cross ship me another replacement.

If you are not paying attention to this thread then get out, the run around started when I first received a defective card from RMA and they would not cross ship me another replacement.

I wouldn't have either. When you say "cross ship", you approved the standard credit card hold? Seems to me that the card you got on 1/21/2015 was fine (Second card?), and under your own admission, your system settings caused no output to your projector.

Well, yeah. They likely had to get approval up the food chain
Asus gave no indication of this and tried to palm him off with a cheaper lower spec card.
to upgrade your old 780 to a current model.
He didnt have a 780, it was a 780ti, substantial cost difference,
They told him they didnt have an equivalent replacement, not the ops fault
He ended up being sent products he didnt want and after a lot of hassle had to ask for a decent replacement, which they eventually agreed to.
Then they went back on their word after 4 months without the use of his flagship gfx card.
Thats a substantial loss of use given how often people upgrade at the high end.

Seriously. Were you just fishing for an upgrade this entire time? I wouldn't put it past some people.

Seriously, is it a good idea to insinuate fault without being clear on what has happened?
I wouldnt put it past some people.

Read the thread, its not hidden from you.

I wouldn't have either. When you say "cross ship", you approved the standard credit card hold? Seems to me that the card you got on 1/21/2015 was fine (Second card?), and under your own admission, your system settings caused no output to your projector.

I approved the cross shipment on second card, which turned out to have a faulty fan, the third card the HDMI port was not working in my work pc that I tested on that does not have the projector connected to. That was on my home pc which was a simple error that I quickly fixed. I posted the screen shot of the projector now allowing the resolution settings to apply. On the third card with the faulty HDMI it was a loose port and would pick up and set the display settings but would not present an image. I tested it on different monitors and again this computer does not have ToastyX that caused the issue on the 4th card. The 4th card/current functions normally. So I have tested these cards on 2 rigs, 3 monitors, and a projector. 4th one finally works correctly, but it isn't the one they said they were going to upgrade me to on 2/13/15.

Sad that you had to type all that out (again) for someone that is either shilling Asus or trolling you.

Sad that you had to type all that out (again) for someone that is either shilling Asus or trolling you.

Neither. I happen to like Asus hardware though, and I've never (since Abit bit the dust) had problems with the dozen or so MBs and video cards I've had in that time. For someone to have that many issues in such a short amount of time with as many pieces of hardware is hard for me to believe.

Latest update: Jolene said she could do another special RMA to get the GTX 980. Hopefully that doesn't require me to ship them the 780ti and have them receive it and process it before the ship out the 980 (refurbished). I told her I would have no problem doing another credit card hold for a cross ship, so that I can make sure the 980 works before sending the 780ti back.

Neither. I happen to like Asus hardware though, and I've never (since Abit bit the dust) had problems with the dozen or so MBs and video cards I've had in that time. For someone to have that many issues in such a short amount of time with as many pieces of hardware is hard for me to believe.

If you were reading along the same thing happened to me doing a directcuii oc hd7970 last year. It took them 3 tries to get me a working unit. I love asus products too, but when they don't back their products this has to happen unfortunately.

Latest update: Jolene said she could do another special RMA to get the GTX 980. Hopefully that doesn't require me to ship them the 780ti and have them receive it and process it before the ship out the 980 (refurbished). I told her I would have no problem doing another credit card hold for a cross ship, so that I can make sure the 980 works before sending the 780ti back.

So, your asking for an RMA on your now functioning card?

So, your asking for an RMA on your now functioning card?

She is trying to make things right, because I explained how upset I am about their service. If this goes through successfully then maybe I can recommend buying from them again.

yeah he is after 3 months of crap that is the least they should do, called keeping their word :p

You should just sell the 780ti and move on to a different brand. Who knows the next card you get may be a gtx 680.

Yeah, they promised him a GTX 980, they need to send him a GTX 980. Especially when the only alternatives are sending a broken GTX 780 Ti or an inferior GTX 780.

I love my GTX 780's but I would never accept a step down in RMA, especially only because the manufacturer can't be bothered to stock enough refurbs.

He is asking for what the promised him. You have a problem with that then just don't read the thread anymore.

He's got a functional 780ti card. Entitlement much? It doesn't help anyone when a company breaks policy and bends the rules for one person, especially in such a public place. Now everyone else will expect the same treatment (free upgrade).

Last edited:
Asus offered it and are agreeing to it, so whats it to you?

He's got a functional 780ti card. Entitlement much? It doesn't help anyone when a company breaks policy and bends the rules for one person, especially in such a public place. Now everyone else will expect the same treatment (free upgrade).

He would have been fine if they told him they had a 780ti in stock. They told him he didn't and tried to downgrade him. he complained and was promised a card more in the price range he originally paid. I mean I know it is hard for you to understand that a company should make good on their word.

He would have been fine if they told him they had a 780ti in stock. They told him he didn't and tried to downgrade him. he complained and was promised a card more in the price range he originally paid. I mean I know it is hard for you to understand that a company should make good on their word.

I see it from the corporate/beancounter/logical standpoint. You all seem to see it from the customer/freeloader/entitled youth standpoint. That's fine and all, but wait until you are responsible for this kind of fiasco on the corp end, and you'll see what happens.

Man my ignore list has been growing fast the last month around these parts. Go play some consoles and butt out of the op's thread

Soooo, initially you contacted them with a busted 780ti and they wanted to downgrade you to a 780.

THEN, they promised you a 980 (IN WRITING) but you ended up with a 780ti once again?

I dunno man, I'd say any emails promising you a 980 is your golden ticket to a free upgrade....

I'd raise hell etc.

She is trying to make things right, because I explained how upset I am about their service. If this goes through successfully then maybe I can recommend buying from them again.

*read previous posts

GOOD!

Stick to your guns man.

If it's in an official email, demand what they promised. Period.

I see it from the corporate/beancounter/logical standpoint. You all seem to see it from the customer/freeloader/entitled youth standpoint. That's fine and all, but wait until you are responsible for this kind of fiasco on the corp end, and you'll see what happens.

Heh let's see if you'd be singing the same tune next time this happens to you.

You see it from the "farm our RMAs out to a cheap ass 3rd party, when the "repaired" units come in, don't bother to test them because that would cost a little $$ in labor, just assume they work, then send it out to the the nuisance who wants a working product and hope they shut up and go away, and even if it doesn't work, maybe they'll just get fed up and leave us alone."

Yeah, I got your ticket.

It's called Public Relations. It's also called Corporate Reputation. You need to understand what your business's limitations are (i.e. financial) and what you can do to bring in more customers and retain them. I'd rather take a loss on the sale of a GTX 980 than to let a customer go (within reason), which he may write bad reviews. There's an economic cost when you lose customers.

It's called Public Relations. It's also called Corporate Reputation. You need to understand what your business's limitations are (i.e. financial) and what you can do to bring in more customers and retain them. I'd rather take a loss on the sale of a GTX 980 than to let a customer go (within reason), which he may write bad reviews. There's an economic cost when you lose customers.
customers have been groomed to believe that they're always right and that retention of them is the highest priority, but in reality some "customers" are better left to go their own way as some companies are finding.

customers have been groomed to believe that they're always right and that retention of them is the highest priority, but in reality some "customers" are better left to go their own way as some companies are finding.
That's correct (hence why I said "within reason"). They're known as unprofitable customers because they end up costing the company in the long-run. Sprint did just that (article). Basically, they dumped their unprofitable customers onto their competitors.

I just finished this thread from beginning to end. I will never buy an Asus product.

It is good to have some kind of factor of who stands against this kind of treatment.

I just finished this thread from beginning to end. I will never buy an Asus product.

Your loss. ;)

OP is getting tooled with and that sucks, and I do not want to dimish the BS he/she has gone through. It sucks and is inexcusable.

That being said, when you take into account how many things they sell that do not have any issues at all, that initial failed card is something that happens. Now the replacement card(s) having issues and the promise of a 980 is something we have to take at OP's word.

Back