ASUS is downgrading me to a GTX 780 on a GTX 780Ti RMA

Woops. Well...sorry :D

pqbWK3U.jpg

h25tzj7.jpg

cOMfan4.jpg

Let's hope your Asus system lives a long and healthy life so you don't have the same experience as the OP;)

for what its worth, i had problems with my current asus mobo, and i didnt even want to fuck around with an rma.

and it might just be a software issue, but even that hasnt been fixed yet. (asus audio drivers just dont work on this board. theres no speaker fill option, and auto sound leveling is enabled by default ant cant be turned off, plus a whole host of other issues. im stuck running the default MS drivers from like 2011)

Loving my Rampage V Extreme X99 system. I often buy ASUS and have never had to RMA anything. Everything just keeps on working.

PpknVgQl.jpg

Loving my Rampage V Extreme X99 system. I often buy ASUS and have never had to RMA anything. Everything just keeps on working.

PpknVgQl.jpg

This discussion has NOTHING to do with weather Certain vendors make good hardware, but its the despicable customer service Asus tends to do, not to mention straight out lie to the op. A vendor rep should step in and fix problems but what we have here is what you see. Run around, Lies, lack of any care what so ever...Know one said all there hardware sucked but there level of service tends to reflect that don't give a shit after they have your money, and this is far from the first thread giving that impression.

Either you are a paid Asus troll or just got a wet one for their D because all I see you do is make excuses for their shit service at every turn and then try to downplay EVGA. I mean I like my EVGA cards but I don't go decking out my entire system (including the case window) with their logo. And when EVGA messes up or has a policy I disagree with, I call them out on it because at the end of the day, customer service > being some company fanboy.

Yeah I like my Rampage V and ROG Swift too but too bad their customer service blows. Makes me feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette each time I buy anything made by Asus.

Last edited:
Next time go EVGA man, it's not worth the hassle with these other brands.
EVGA has their problems as well......but at least they own up when you have a problem.

I went to message Jolene and touch base with her to let her know I received the package however it wasnt the 980 we agreed upon. Will update when I get a response from that bit.
You got hosed in a nice way here.....that being said, the warranty was fulfilled.....finally.

Oh yeah, EVGA mobo's, thats a real improvement :rolleyes:
I have had my problems with EVGA boards, but they made good, not like this fiasco.

pqbWK3U.jpg

h25tzj7.jpg

cOMfan4.jpg

This is an obvious troll post....just go on and post this on the ASUS site.....I mean really....this has nothing to do with this guy's problem...did ASUS sponsor your build or what?

Well then he should make a VERY clear he will not lift a finger if its anything other than a motherboard still under warranty. The xfx rep here and many others will get customers help when things happen. I personally pm's him twice regarding motherboards and didn't even get a response.

All he had to do was say sorry i cant help in that area or anything for that matter. What does is "NOTHING" as has been proven countless times with asus gpu threads here and for gods sake people need to know.

There are plenty of examples of Raja being an ass......he's a straight company man.
He has been helpful with MBs but has been very harsh on people with GPU problems.
Odd but not 100% out of character he never responded to this thread.;)

Okay well I may now have a similar problem with the last card, The previous one would not display HDMI port, this one recognizes it but will not let me apply the resolution.
16772vp.jpg

Okay well I may now have a similar problem with the last card, The previous one would not display HDMI port, this one recognizes it but will not let me apply the resolution.
16772vp.jpg

Wow...

Just as a sanity check, have you ruled out the monitor and cable as potential faults?

Tested the same cable from a ps3 to the projector and it is not the projector.

Edit: It was the ToastyX Strobelight settings. Some how it was wanting to light boost my projector. I reset the projector settings and rebooted and all is well. Still waiting on a response from Jolene as to why I was lied to though.

Last edited:
Has Raja even responded in this thread? I don't recall seeing him do so.

If so that's totally unacceptable in my opinion.

I currently have a Maximus Formula VI and it's a pretty sweet board but I just have to hope it keeps on keeping on lest I suffer a similar fate to the OP.

Having read all the poor experiences of Asus RMA in this thread I think I will struggle to convince myself to buy from them again.

The other issue is it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on these issues. The internet tends to act as a microscope for all the crappy experiences people have because they're the ones who shout loudest. The people who receive the expected service just tend to keep quiet because everything worked out for them.

But this is NOT indicative of other people's experience with Asus products over the years.
No. It is indicative of other's experiences.

This forum is filled with stories of Asus' horrendous warranty service. It's always the same tale; user cannot get Asus to fulfill their agreement, user has to go through back channels to receive proper warranty support. Having to raise a stink via vendor reps and on Facebook in order to force Asus into abiding by their own warranty policy is beyond unacceptable.

Asus' default reactions to warranty claims is to flat-out deny them, or try and low ball the user with an inferior replacement. We've seen this time and time again.

If you're going to respond to this post, please refrain from using a Dragonball image macro or posting pictures of your build and calling me a moron.

I am back on my GTX 780 Lightning, just got done playing some BF4 with no issues. Awry system wouldn't explain 3 different failures on cards.

A bad power supply might.

Edit: Or motherboard.

The failed fan thing just sounds like poor QC, though. The HDMI and artifact issues could conceivably be some other problem than the graphics card itself, though. A little extra diagnostics wouldn't hurt, just to be sure.

Moreover, lying to customers about giving them an upgrade is a totally unacceptable business practice.
Yes, this is a poor showing by Asus. They informed the customer he would be receiving an upgraded product as a warranty replacement. I get the feeling they lied about giving him an upgraded product simply to end the negotiation.
I've never known an RMA process to entail a negotiation process :rolleyes:
Read the thread.

I also had a bad asus experience, along with a ton of other people on this forum if you go through the threads.

GMs ignitions only killed 57 people out of 2.6 million cars so by your reasoning NBD GM is perfect right? I'm glad you have not had a bad experience... yet. Someday you'll grow out of being a fan boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many users, I do in fact have Asus components in my rig. A Maximus V Gene and DCII GTX 770. And like many users, I agree that the build quality is great. But I fear having to RMA any of my Asus products due to the endless horror stories I've read here and on other forums.

When the time comes to upgrade from an Ivy Bridge CPU or move on to a stronger GPU, I'll be looking at EVGA or MSI products instead, as customer service is very important to me.

MSI was prompt with my refund on a 7950 and actually gave me more money than I paid for it, and I hear nothing but positive things when it comes to EVGA service.

I have no doubt that ASUS makes good products, but when one goes belly up, it can be an absolute pain. My mobo started having issues, and even just the thought of trying do an RMA with them made my stomach turn.

I too have had a DOA Asus product, a motherboard. I had to contact them to generate an RMA through Newegg for some reason. The rep was nice and it was fairly painless, even though it took 12 days to get a replacement. I don't like spending hundreds of dollars on stuff that don't work. :(

I too have had a DOA Asus product, a motherboard. I had to contact them to generate an RMA through Newegg for some reason. The rep was nice and it was fairly painless, even though it took 12 days to get a replacement. I don't like spending hundreds of dollars on stuff that don't work. :(

12 days is pretty standard fare for an RMA, I'd say.

In this case I think it's more of a crap RMA policy that NewEgg has in place. I had my first Rampage V fail on me (kept randomly shutting down among other things) but fortunately I bought it from Amazon so I didn't have to go through Asus at all. They just shipped a replacement overnight. Funny thing is I originally had a CPU + board placed on order from NewEgg until I saw that policy of their's and cancelled - decided to take the hit with taxes using Amazon because of way better RMA policy.

It's a wonder ASUS has been able to stay in business since CS is this bad.

ASUS is a GIANT company.

They have their fingers in nearly everything computer........and honestly, they do a good job overall.

I mean honestly, they've sold millions of products world-wide and their stuff works pretty well, and is very innovative.

The BUT here is when something breaks......especially an enthusiast part.....
we are a small, small segment of ASUS's business.
Yes, we buy premium, top of the line products from them and expect premium top of the line service.

Unfortunately, time after time, users like us get less than stellar return on our investment.

I have at least half a dozen ASUS motherboards currently in service, never a problem, including currently two ROG boards, both overclocked and humming right along.

That said, I will not purchase any ASUS GPUs, ever. The service on these parts has been deplorable.

I stop buying Asus purchase after they pulled a fast one on me. I bought the Asus 250.00 dollar router about 2 years ago. After a year the power button failed on the unit. I had to keep it pushed down and the router would stay up. I RMA the router. Took them about 10 days to get a replacement. The replacement router they send me failed after 6 months of used. The actual network ports started failing. I was down to 1. I called them up and they say the Serial numbers is for a refurbished product with no warranty. I told them thats what you all shipped me from repairs. I did all of this paperwork with the copy of the original router I bought from Amazon, and it was denied.

I said not worth my trouble Ill bought a high end Netgear Router and wont do business with them again.

Really interested to hear what Jolene's response to OP was about the ol' switcharoo they pulled.

I doubt he has any recourse, but in any event, that's straight bollocks to agree to one thing and send another (even if it was the original RMA requested part).

Tested the same cable from a ps3 to the projector and it is not the projector.

Edit: It was the ToastyX Strobelight settings. Some how it was wanting to light boost my projector. I reset the projector settings and rebooted and all is well. Still waiting on a response from Jolene as to why I was lied to though.

Wow, so it was your fault all along?

The original 780 Ti could have been broken in a different way, I'd wait for a clarification from the OP before assuming everything is his fault.

The original 780 Ti could have been broken in a different way, I'd wait for a clarification from the OP before assuming everything is his fault.

If that was his only problem though I think he should call ASUS with his ticket number and apologize profusely :p

That was not the problem... I was using the previous GTX 780 TI at my work computer when I found out the previous one had a faulty HDMI port. My work computer does not have toastyx installed or have light boost monitors. The latest issue about the screen settings not applying was on my sig rig. I was messing with light boost settings before I got the card back and occidentally applied the refresh rates to the projector. That was just a small troubleshoot and had nothing to deal with why any other the other cards were defective.

Jolene today asked what card I received and what the serial number is. So that was provided, will update on what I hear next.

Hi Cory,

It looks like the manager informed me that they did have a 780TI already on hold and reserved for you. That is why the GTX980 was not shipped out. I do apologize for the confusion. However, if the original reserved unit becomes available, that will be the one shipped out.

Best regards,
Jolene
ASUS Customer Loyalty

It took them over 2 weeks to process the GTX 980 that was reserved for me and this is the excuse I got back as to why I ended up getting a refurbished 780 Ti back. So from 11/26/14 - 2/28/15 I finally got back a working card which didn't end up being the upgrade they promised. Good work ASUS!

At least you ended up with a working card in the end. They have stopped talking to me about my defective replacement.

It took them over 2 weeks to process the GTX 980 that was reserved for me and this is the excuse I got back as to why I ended up getting a refurbished 780 Ti back. So from 11/26/14 - 2/28/15 I finally got back a working card which didn't end up being the upgrade they promised. Good work ASUS!

Well, yeah. They likely had to get approval up the food chain to upgrade your old 780 to a current model. Seriously. Were you just fishing for an upgrade this entire time? I wouldn't put it past some people.

Well, yeah. They likely had to get approval up the food chain to upgrade your old 780 to a current model. Seriously. Were you just fishing for an upgrade this entire time? I wouldn't put it past some people.

They told me that they didn't have an equal replacement in stock, why wouldn't I fish for an upgrade?

Back