ASUS is downgrading me to a GTX 780 on a GTX 780Ti RMA

People buying ASUS because of the reputation for quality products and i think this probably true how they treat 1% of the 1% doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Should they provide better service in this case absolutely, does it impact them that much, nope absolutely almost zero impact.

People buying ASUS because of the reputation for quality products and i think this probably true how they treat 1% of the 1% doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Should they provide better service in this case absolutely, does it impact them that much, nope absolutely almost zero impact.

Yup. I think they've made the determination that the customer service does not have as much value to them as innovation, quality, and other things.

Unfortunately, for someone like me (that spent years in the ASUS camp) - once you're burned it is hard to go back. I banned them last year, and let up a bit this year (bought a laptop) but stuck to it for the most part (bought EVGA video cards x5, motherboard x1; MSI video card x1, motherboard x1). I almost opted for an ASUS board when I was shopping for my latest (X99 4-way board) but luckily ASUS' price premium helped push me back ($100 more for a RVE versus the X99S XPOWER AC from MSI - a board that's arguably better).

I have tons of respect for their quality and innovation - but EVGA and (especially) MSI is not far behind and they've been fantastic with issues.

I personally won't ever purchase EVGA products again due to their blatant attempts in the past to steal copyrighted software for their shitty oveclocking software and deny it, piss poor cooler quality, nazi style forum moderation and crap pricing for models.

Asus products have always been top notch in the builds I have done for myself and others, but I have had a few friends locally with Asus RMA horror stories. They definitely know how to keep the shipping companies busy..........:D. Running a P3B-F in my retro gaming rig.....still going strong after 16 years! Glad to hear you are getting took care of after all your troubles! Looking forward to hearing about your shiny new 980!

Last edited:
Yup. I think they've made the determination that the customer service does not have as much value to them as innovation, quality, and other things.

Unfortunately, for someone like me (that spent years in the ASUS camp) - once you're burned it is hard to go back. I banned them last year, and let up a bit this year (bought a laptop) but stuck to it for the most part (bought EVGA video cards x5, motherboard x1; MSI video card x1, motherboard x1). I almost opted for an ASUS board when I was shopping for my latest (X99 4-way board) but luckily ASUS' price premium helped push me back ($100 more for a RVE versus the X99S XPOWER AC from MSI - a board that's arguably better).

I have tons of respect for their quality and innovation - but EVGA and (especially) MSI is not far behind and they've been fantastic with issues.
I've purchased many MSI products and have had incredible service provided from them. I really wish the 970 didn't have that missing .5 because I really wanted to buy a MSI 970.

Jesus H Christ people, IT IS NOT missing!
So is it a true 4gb vram gpu?

edit: Please do not stress yourself to answer. I noticed in another thread you have posted you have troll like tendencies. After looking at your other posts I see you wear green tinted glasses and are unable to carry on a reasonable conversation without sounding like a child. A response is not needed as I will be unable to see anything you post moving forward.

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately ASUS rides on their reputation for high end and high quality hardware, and mostly ignores warranty support.

Based on my past experiences, they would not be my top choice for hardware anymore.

No, I have not received a tracking number for the new card yet. They received the gtx780 they tried to send me yesterday, so they are still "processing" the replacement.

I had to rma a mb 4 times with Asus and when receiving the 4th they didn't send me tracking or anything. It just showed up one day. Keep thinking positive. I'm sure you will get the 980!

I've also been a long-time Asus customer, and I rarely have trouble with their kit, but I recently had to send a bad RIVE back, and my god... The whole customer support / RMA process was a complete nightmare, and they had me jumping through hoops for weeks just to get it repaired, not even replaced. Absolutely terrible, almost enough to turn me off their products forever.

By striking contrast, I had to go to Intel with my hat in hand because that very same RIVE killed the 3960x living in it. One 2 minute conversation with a support rep and they sent me a brand new $1k processor, easy as can be.

Customer support can make or break lifelong customers.

No, I have not received a tracking number for the new card yet. They received the gtx780 they tried to send me yesterday, so they are still "processing" the replacement.

You should call Jolene again. She'll get some action on this I'll wager.
Good luck.
This is starting to look crappy again......I hope not for your sake.
They are probably still digging around in the back room looking for a replacement 980 for you.......yikes......:eek:

Customer support can make or break lifelong customers.
This is an excellent comment and I follow this sentiment. I usually buy what's the best price to performance. but usually look to buy from Amazon first purely because of how good their customer service is. If they are a few dollars more for a product I will go with them because I know if I have any issue at all they have my back.

edit: fixed poor grammar

Last edited:
This is an excellent comment and I follow this sentiment. I usually buy what's the best price to performance. For a specific example regarding the above comment, I usually buy from look to buy from Amazon first purely because of how good their customer service is. If they are a few dollars more for a product I will go with them because I know if I have any issue at all they have my back.

I agree.

No company is perfect. Problems happen no matter who you are.

It is how a company responds and takes care of problems when they do happen that is more telling, and right now (or ever from my perspective) Asus is doing a pretty shitty job at this.

Zarathustra[H];1041437226 said:
I agree.

No company is perfect. Problems happen no matter who you are.

It is how a company responds and takes care of problems when they do happen that is more telling, and right now (or ever from my perspective) Asus is doing a pretty shitty job at this.

Indeed. And given how dynamic we computer enthusiasts can be, this post sums it up nicely (self-brag about my past post).

That is disturbing...
What would be taking them so long.
I left this thread due to people giving you crap for no good reason but I've regained my interest.

I'm of the same mindset.
I held NVidia to a high standard.
My next card was going to be NVidia, but they dont get my vote, recommendation or money after the latest barrel load they have dished.
Quite disgusting.

I read the whole damned thread. Let us know when you get the replacement GPU! Enquiring minds want to know.;)

Like I said earlier, they're having trouble locating that "new in box" 980. ;)

I'm of the same mindset.
I held NVidia to a high standard.
My next card was going to be NVidia, but they dont get my vote, recommendation or money after the latest barrel load they have dished.
Quite disgusting.

Gotta say I'm of similar mindset. Except now I'm stuck because of a G-Sync display lol! BUT if I see a pretty nice 21:9 34" FreeSync display (curved would be a bonus) that's 144 Hz, it could compel me to sell my Swift and 980s and grab a pair of 390x + FreeSync. We'll see how things pan out.

You guys are going to get a kick out of this. After all this wait, I got my package today. They sent me a GTX 780 Ti DC2 card instead of the 980 they reserved for me.

Clutch, is this original card that you sent back that was broken or new?

You guys are going to get a kick out of this. After all this wait, I got my package today. They sent me a GTX 780 Ti DC2 card instead of the 980 they reserved for me.
That takes the mother-fucking cake. Taking a broad view, they made OP jump through this many hoops just to end up with the same card after 4 months of downtime.

I would start reporting these guys to BBB or some shit.

Damn that sucks. I hope for your own sake it's at least a new in box card.

Gotta hand it to Asus though, this a diabolically brilliant move.Now that you have an exact replacement, this is pretty much the end of the road.

"What's that sir you were expecting a 980? My apologies, as it turns out we managed to locate one of our very last 780 Ti DCII cards in our warehouse in [some obscure place in Taiwan]. On behalf of Asus I hope you enjoy your replacement card."

Back