ASUS is downgrading me to a GTX 780 on a GTX 780Ti RMA

What I find most offensive here is that we are glossing over that "The GTX780 are subpart for GTX780TI" is in no way an acceptable application of the English language.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that a customer has to wade through back channels in order to prod ASUS into fulfilling their obligations in regards to warranty service?

We keep seeing this over and over. Does ASUS understand the damage they're doing to their brand by repeatedly pulling these stunts?

Did you happen to see they reached the half billion mark in sales on just motherboards alone? Do you think a few guys like us with broken parts means much in that context?

Could very well be a cultural thing and that will be their downfall in the US consumer market and likely Europe. This isn't China or Taiwan, they better get their act together or up and coming companies like EVGA will eventually take away their business and goodwill. I mean if I can help it, I avoid Asus products and buy from EVGA already because I've had excellent customer service from them.

Some examples:

1. Bought a 680 from a member on this forum, it was defective so I sent it to EVGA for RMA and they sent one back that was in better condition in a few days after receiving it.

2. One of my Titans eventually died after a year and they cross shipped me another (I bought their advanced RMA service) and I had it within 2 days - it was brand new.

I called EVGA support at 2 am and was shocked to have an American technician pick up on the other end and he was nice and very helpful. That is enough to make me for a customer for life unless they screw up hard.

Edit: Forgot to mention my first Rampage V started having issues 3 days into ownership. Lucky for me Amazon had me covered and sent me another one overnight. Next time I'll go with an EVGA board, seems they are improving every generation.

Where do you think EVGA boards and GPUs are made?
Granted they have a fully staffed US headquarters.
They so far have built their following on good customer service, but they don't walk on water either.

I had a hell of a time with them and my X-58 "Classified" motherboard.......I've never been back.

Jolene just emailed me back saying she would email the repair center for my request on the 980.

I hope it works out......but the "repair center" and 980 in the same sentence makes me nervous.

Where do you think EVGA boards and GPUs are made?
It's not the fact that the components are made overseas, but the people who have oversight duties and customer service responsibilities come from a place where it's acceptable to ignore your service obligations.

There's an unfamiliarity with American sales culture and American-style customer service that appears to manifest itself when dealing with ASUS specifically, and Asian tech companies in general.

When requests for proper warranty service are met with a refusal in poorly written English, it makes me think there's a culture gap somewhere between the customer and the repair department.

Jolene just emailed me back saying she would email the repair center for my request on the 980.

Holy crap what a long thread. Im glad you asked, the most they can do is say no and give you a 780ti DC2 if/when they get one in....or eventually accept the STRIX...which some [H]'ers would opt for.

Good luck on getting the 980. I'd do the same if I were in your shoes.

The only two things I RMA'd with Asus were a Gaming Laptop, which I got back a better CPU/GPU since they couldnt fix the one i sent in. Of course the refurbished laptop they sent me, the rj45 connection loosly held my ethernet cable causing connection issues if I moved the laptop around to much. The other is my current motherboard, asus x79 sabertooth, which they fixed the sound issue and sent back within a couple weeks.

Again, Im crossing my fingers you get a 980 for the BS they tried to give you with a "780 equivalent". Since you do have a lightning, and the most patience ever, if the 980 falls through then wait for a DC2 or keep pushing them for equivalent or better.

I also think there is an Asus REP in the motherboard section of the forums.

Last edited:
It's not the fact that the components are made overseas, but the people who have oversight duties and customer service responsibilities come from a place where it's acceptable to ignore your service obligations.

There's an unfamiliarity with American sales culture and American-style customer service that appears to manifest itself when dealing with ASUS specifically, and Asian tech companies in general.

When requests for proper warranty service are met with a refusal in poorly written English, it makes me think there's a culture gap somewhere between the customer and the repair department.

You can pretty much bank that EVGA stuff is made in China somewhere.
Who knows where their repair guys are from, but I work with some US citizens who still stumble over the proper English.

Just read the entire thread and wow, I hope they approve your request for the 980! but if not, I would consider the 970 a win., its better than the standard 780 they originially offered

Nice card and worth it. Sucks you had to go through this process with them like some do, but a 980 STRIX is no slouch. I almost bought one, plus you can buy a waterblock for it :p.

A word of thanks, from you, to the Asus rep who did this would not be remiss.

Too bad it took so much, but it sounds like the right solution.

Just posting so I can remember how to get in touch with Jolene.

Where was Jolene when Asus was jerking me around on an A7N8X Deluxe that died.
That's right. I never forget.

Ever...

I will update when the card gets here and I do some testing to see if there are any issues. Who knows, they could be sending me someone else's returned card that skipped the repair step.

I will update when the card gets here and I do some testing to see if there are any issues. Who knows, they could be sending me someone else's returned card that skipped the repair step.

That's my biggest concern.....you don't get a NIB, but rather a refurb model that will act the same as the previous three 780 Tis..............got my fingers crossed you get a NIB model.:D

Wow, free upgrade to a STRIX 980 yet you still bitch about it..

What good is an upgrade to a broken card? I hardly think it's unfounded to be wary when his last several replacements under the very same warranty were also defective.

It is an upgrade. I have has both.

Your definition of upgrade is different than mine. Besides, it doesn't change the fact they tried to screw him over and would have if he had just accepted it. They deserve no credit for what they have done. They tried to give him a gimped card that sells for about 1/2 the price of the one he bought, made with a GPU that is further down the product stack to boot.

This isn't the first thread I've seen here where Asus has tried to jerk their customers around either. I will never buy or recommend an Asus product again, personally.

Never mind. I gotta shut up before you guys have me working for ASUS again.

Was wondering when you were going to show up on that wonderful horse of yours names Asus-ie...Do you get thermal armor with your saddle? I am sure that would keep your junk much cooler n all...:p:p:p:p

I'm out on this one, guys, but keep on throwin' those barbs from that side of your keyboards cause they are soooo funny! ;)

Wow if this ever happened to me, it'd be a nightmare. I'd be so pissed. Even with the upgrade, all the time wasted over several RMA's is not even worth it. This story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They make great motherboards but I may have to go MSI from here on out.

I have to post, in yet another ASUS RMA horror story post! WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THEIR SHIT?!

Ok, I feel better now lol.

For the price of the 780 Ti DC2 and the months of frustration, I would have told them to send me a pair of NIB Strix 970's when they asked if the 970 would suffice. But I would have been happy with a 980, which should have been offered the moment a 780 Ti DC2 wasn't available and they were going to resort to a 780 or Ti reference. ...imo.

Glad you finally got something that's "tier" comparable. Hopefully this is the end of it and you can finally get closure.

Where is he complaining? If you bothered to read the entire thread, which I heavily doubt you did, he had to go through hell and back with Asus to get what was owed to him. If I RMA'd a 780ti and they attempted to send me a 780 I too would go through every length to get the equivalent or better out of it just for being jerked around. And he has every single right to be concerned. He's already RMA'd three cards. I too would be heavily concerned.

Take some advice here and quit bitching about people you think are bitching. Get your green tea thin skin off the keyboard for awhile.

Glad they solved the problem. Let us know your impressions of the card when you get it :)

Asus support is the worst shit ever. Let this be a lesson for you to stay far, far, away from their products. I have one of their Phoebus soundcards that had issues and they gave me such a run around that I swore to never purchase their trash again. All of the layers of PCB, component testing, LN2 runs, etc don't mean jack when it's time to return a product for a RMA and you find out that that same company loathes and hates you.

I am surprised that Asus's support is this bad. Good thing I didn't buy one of their cards, I feel bad for the guy.

I hope the ASUS cards hold up because I have three on hand. I have had their cards since the "Dark Knight" cooler AMD cards. I have never had to test their support system. I hope I never have to.

Well never mind, today is the day that they finally get the GTX780 back they sent me. I am trying to get an update on when the GTX 980 will ship atm.

Back