ASUS is downgrading me to a GTX 780 on a GTX 780Ti RMA

ClutchAutomatic

Limp Gawd
So after 3 failed attempts over the past 3 months to rma my 780ti, Asus decided to take my GTX 780 TI DC2 OC and send me a GTX780 as my replacement .
Their words are "The GTX780 are subpart for GTX780TI. When we didn’t have stock for the GTX780TI, system will automatic allocate for GTX780"
Is this acceptable?

So after 3 failed attempts over the past 3 months to rma my 780ti, Asus decided to take my GTX 780 TI DC2 OC and send me a GTX780 as my replacement .
Their words are "The GTX780 are subpart for GTX780TI. When we didn’t have stock for the GTX780TI, system will automatic allocate for GTX780"
Is this acceptable?

I don't think it's acceptable to downgrade a customer. I deal with a lot of RMAs at work and it should always be equal or more value for the customer.

Is this acceptable?

You've been at this for three month? You need to ask yourself if it is worth your time to keep chasing after this until you eventually get Asus to send you a Ti or better. How acceptable this is will be entirely up to you and how long you want to keep at this.

I feel that the money spent on a 780 Ti, they could bump me up to a gtx 980 if there is no stock on the 780 ti cards. Especially the hassle I've gone through with them sending me junk RMA units. Original unit crashed on gaming, first replacement had one fan not working and would over heat and go into limp mode, third card had a defective HDMI port which is important to me as a third monitor. Now I will have a GTX 780 coming to me tomorrow, and who knows what the issues with that will be.

Nope, not acceptable. Make sure they pay for shipping both ways.. and I would also demand the replacement card be shipped to you before you ship the 780 back.

"Support" like this from ASUS is pretty standard practice.

I feel that the money spent on a 780 Ti, they could bump me up to a gtx 980 if there is no stock on the 780 ti cards. Especially the hassle I've gone through with them sending me junk RMA units. Original unit crashed on gaming, first replacement had one fan not working and would over heat and go into limp mode, third card had a defective HDMI port which is important to me as a third monitor. Now I will have a GTX 780 coming to me tomorrow, and who knows what the issues with that will be.

And what is to say they won't send you a junk GTX980? ;)

If you don't want the 780, don't even open the box to find out of it works or not. Tell Asus they are getting it back because it is an unacceptable.

ASUS support is garbage, why people buy their video cards is beyond me, especially with alternatives like EVGA out there that have awesome service. I've got an ASUS monitor and motherboard and dread ever having to use their RMA services. That said, if they don't give you a 780Ti, check the warranty agreement with a microscope and see if they have a clause that allows them to downgrade you. Also check your state's consumer protection laws and if you have a way to fight them legally then use it.

I did this same thing over a 7970 DC2 OC last year. It took them 3 tries and the final one wouldn't output 4k @ 30hz without dots flying all over the screen, but was fine at 1080P. I gave up on the 7970 because I didnt really see myself using it for 4k.

ASUS support is garbage, why people buy their video cards is beyond me, especially with alternatives like EVGA out there that have awesome service. I've got an ASUS monitor and motherboard and dread ever having to use their RMA services. That said, if they don't give you a 780Ti, check the warranty agreement with a microscope and see if they have a clause that allows them to downgrade you. Also check your state's consumer protection laws and if you have a way to fight them legally then use it.

Vs the tens of thousands of us Asus product owners who don't have issues :rolleyes: One should do their research in regards to support of products before buying like any good consumer, otherwise, I have no sympathy for you.

I care not for EVGA products anymore as their support is good, but their GPU quality and design is substandard and their coolers are mostly china clone crap and the pricing scale for models is a joke in my book.'

Beyond that, this is not acceptable, push a bit harder and get a better result.

Last edited:
Nope, not ok. You paid for a 780 Ti, you get a 780 Ti or better back.

the '3 failed RMA attempts over 3 months' needs to be explained in order to understand the situation better...why did ASUS finally agree to the RMA?...something seems missing in this story

Definitely not OK. There's a $200 price difference between those cards. I could see if they maybe bumped you up to a GTX 970, but a straight up downgrade is unacceptable.

Asus support is the worst shit ever. Let this be a lesson for you to stay far, far, away from their products. I have one of their Phoebus soundcards that had issues and they gave me such a run around that I swore to never purchase their trash again. All of the layers of PCB, component testing, LN2 runs, etc don't mean jack when it's time to return a product for a RMA and you find out that that same company loathes and hates you.

Asus support is the worst shit ever. Let this be a lesson for you to stay far, far, away from their products. I have one of their Phoebus soundcards that had issues and they gave me such a run around that I swore to never purchase their trash again. All of the layers of PCB, component testing, LN2 runs, etc don't mean jack when it's time to return a product for a RMA and you find out that that same company loathes and hates you.

Yes, their products are so appealing, but nope never again! Currently in contact with support right now apparently their supervisor is emailing corporate to approve "some miracle upgrade."

Email: [email protected] if you want to get this fixed. She is nice and helped me with my Asus swift advanced rma after they kept closing my rma for whatever reason.

this is horribly wrong, unless, you are abusing them, and keep on RMA'ing the cards for no reason, other than to try and get the best overclocker.

Vs the tens of thousands of us Asus product owners who don't have issues :rolleyes: One should do their research in regards to support of products before buying like any good consumer, otherwise, I have no sympathy for you.

I care not for EVGA products anymore as their support is good, but their GPU quality and design is substandard and their coolers are mostly china clone crap and the pricing scale for models is a joke in my book.'

Beyond that, this is not acceptable, push a bit harder and get a better result.

Yet my evga 980s run cooler, quieter and oc better than Asus models. :rolleyes:

Asus have no shame.
Not only do they use customers (who have already suffered with bad products) as mugs to see if they can palm off faulty products, they commit fraud by blatantly allowing their system to rip you off.

I would find which laws they have broken in your country.

Yet my evga 980s run cooler, quieter and oc better than Asus models. :rolleyes:

I would buy EVGA if I wasn't so confused with all their different levels of cards (ACX 2.0, FTW, Superclocked, Superclocked AXC 2.0, Classified ACX 2.0, Kingpin ACX 2.0+, etc.) 9 cards to choose from on a GTX 980, I feel like I would buy the wrong one by either paying too much or not enough.

Because Asus is a big name and has great marketing to push products on review sites that will give glowing reviews. Plus tbh their products look cooler than many others and while most wont admit it, looks do matter. People think "it wont happen to me". Same ole' shuck and hustle folks.

These are not the droids you're looking for; move along, move along.!

Is this thread seriously degrading into a "my video card is better than yours" thread? Really?

EDIT: Fuck ASUS. Really. Ti's carried a price premium over the vanilla 780. That's why you spent the extra bucks on it. After reading this, I won't ever recommend ASUS to anyone. Don't care how well their "good" products perform. If a company isn't willing to stand behind their product, and fuck you over in the process then they don't need to be doing business.

EDIT: Fuck ASUS. Really. Ti's carried a price premium over the vanilla 780. That's why you spent the extra bucks on it. After reading this, I won't ever recommend ASUS to anyone. Don't care how well their "good" products perform. If a company isn't willing to stand behind their product, and fuck you over in the process then they don't need to be doing business.

Let us know how that crusade goes, mka'y?

Yeah I do not know why he was giving you a hard time for your post. While your recommendations wont bring a company down, they do matter in the long run. Any company that doesn't mind negative word of mouth is just asking for bankruptcy.

. Any company that doesn't mind negative word of mouth is just asking for bankruptcy.

86Fkx9B.jpg

I am going to chime in here also and say that this is completely unacceptable. Definitely send the card back. Keep us posted on how this goes.

It appears to me that you have been given the old ASUS run around.

There are a number of threads here about the same kind of situation.

On one hand, you have been sent THREE defective replacements, which defies logic.
On the other hand, you aren't even getting back what you bought in the first place.

Generally, when it comes to replacement, the owner should get exactly what he/she bought, better than what he bought OR agree to some other type of replacement.

I admit I didn't see what kind of GPU ASUS sent you the first three times.

ASUS has a rep here Raja.
He tends to be a real company man though, so before you PM him make sure you have all your ducks in a row.....dates, replacement problems, all that stuff.

I'd say as a matter of principle ASUS owes you exactly what you bought. If they don't have any 780 Ti models, you should be moved up to a new top of the line model, because after all, at the time you bought your 780 Ti it was the top of the line.

Taken directly from the ASUS warranty page:

"If the product fails during normal and proper use within the warranty period, ASUS will, at its discretion, repair or replace the defective parts within the product, or the product itself, with items that are functionally equivalent to that as originally supplied, or better, during the warranty period defined for the model, using new or refurbished parts or units. If the product is under warranty...."

Hey ASUS.....GTX 780 does not equal GTX 780 Ti.......

You clearly have no business experience, and maybe you should try a new meme, DBZ is very juvenile.

The only businesses that survive continual negative word of mouth are the ones with a monopoly. Its business 101 that having consumers spreading negative word of mouth is just a fools proposition.

This makes me not want to buy Asus video cards (I only have bought eVGA for years). I have several Asus mobos though, I hope they don't pull this crap if one of them dies.

Replacement product should be equal or better. Really simple concept... So send it back again!

Hey kid, this isn't 4chan.

This makes me not want to buy Asus video cards (I only have bought eVGA for years). I have several Asus mobos though, I hope they don't pull this crap if one of them dies.

Same and I worry everyday about my ROG monitor because I've read horror stories about the RMA process. I already had to RMA one Rampage V board but fortunately I was within my Amazon return window so they replaced it. Asus quality + CS is getting worse and worse, if this keeps up they may end up going the way of Abit.

Back