ASUS is downgrading me to a GTX 780 on a GTX 780Ti RMA

You clearly have no business experience, and maybe you should try a new meme, DBZ is very juvenile.

The only businesses that survive continual negative word of mouth are the ones with a monopoly. Its business 101 that having consumers spreading negative word of mouth is just a fools proposition.

With that being said, if it were even remotely close to truth, Apple and Microsoft would have gone under over a decade ago. Yet, they still remain, haters and all

With that being said, if it were even remotely close to truth, Apple and Microsoft would have gone under over a decade ago. Yet, they still remain, haters and all

Microsoft fits the monopoly category and Apple has a die hard fanbase and typically gives good individual warranty support. Are you trying to tell everyone here that negative word of mouth has no effects on a company? Thats the craziest thing I have ever heard, no company I have ever worked for has been like.
"Hey who cares if we have 100 people telling 10 friends each that our company sucks, its not like its going to effect our bottom line!"

Microsoft fits the monopoly category and Apple has a die hard fanbase and typically gives good individual warranty support. Are you trying to tell everyone here that negative word of mouth has no effects on a company? Thats the craziest thing I have ever heard, no company I have ever worked for has been like.
"Hey who cares if we have 100 people telling 10 friends each that our company sucks, its not like its going to effect our bottom line!"

Agreed, word of mouth can make or break a company. Just look at how Amazon got so huge, it was partly word of mouth and partly due to amazing CS. Asus is doing ok with marketing for now but failing hard with CS.

Philisophical differences aside, my experience is that it takes one hell of a squeaky wheel to get grease from most modern companies to budge. Its not fair, no, but nobody said life was fair. You are also dealing with an oversea's corporate monstrosity where their legal and business obligations have little in common with American practices, especially in the Asian market.

Philisophical differences aside, my experience is that it takes one hell of a squeaky wheel to get grease from most modern companies to budge. Its not fair, no, but nobody said life was fair. You are also dealing with an oversea's corporate monstrosity where their legal and business obligations have little in common with American practices, especially in the Asian market.

They do business in the USA and are subject to American laws. But what's more, they are also dependent on the US for most of their revenue and it can make or break them. They'd be stupid to ignore that and continue to treat customers like the way they did the OP.

It appears to me that you have been given the old ASUS run around.

There are a number of threads here about the same kind of situation.

On one hand, you have been sent THREE defective replacements, which defies logic.
On the other hand, you aren't even getting back what you bought in the first place.

Generally, when it comes to replacement, the owner should get exactly what he/she bought, better than what he bought OR agree to some other type of replacement.

I admit I didn't see what kind of GPU ASUS sent you the first three times.

ASUS has a rep here Raja.
He tends to be a real company man though, so before you PM him make sure you have all your ducks in a row.....dates, replacement problems, all that stuff.

I'd say as a matter of principle ASUS owes you exactly what you bought. If they don't have any 780 Ti models, you should be moved up to a new top of the line model, because after all, at the time you bought your 780 Ti it was the top of the line.

Taken directly from the ASUS warranty page:

"If the product fails during normal and proper use within the warranty period, ASUS will, at its discretion, repair or replace the defective parts within the product, or the product itself, with items that are functionally equivalent to that as originally supplied, or better, during the warranty period defined for the model, using new or refurbished parts or units. If the product is under warranty...."

Hey ASUS.....GTX 780 does not equal GTX 780 Ti.......

Well I did e-mail [email protected] with my ducks in a row story, but every support agent either on chat or phone was able to look up the whole history of the story from the latest RMA number.

Every RMA I've had with Asus (2 motherboards over many many years) were handled beautifully with no stress. They sent me new in box parts both times within 14 days.

I will never understand why people on here love to bash Asus for this crap. Clearly there is more to the story than we are being told.

You cant just say the OP is misleading us just because you had two good experiences....

Significant dates are 11/26/14 Start of initial RMA process
12/4/14 Received first advance RMA card, It was a new card in a sealed retail box but the serial numbers didn't match.
Installed and didn't game on it until a few days after new years. During the game I noticed a big hit in performance and looked at the temps in afterburner and it was touching 90C, opened up the case and saw that one fan was not spinning and the other was unable to ramp up to 100%. Processed a cross exchange rma since they cannot advance an advanced replacement anymore. Processed this cross exchange on 1/5/2015 and was notified they had the stock for the replacement on 1/7/2015 so I sent it in that day. Some how they lost the stock and I had to wait 2 weeks until they sent out the replacement. Received replacement on 1/21/2015. This one looked used and abused with the gold stickers already on it and when I tested everything out the HDMI cable didn't put out a picture but would show up under screen resolution. I noticed the HDMI port on the card seemed rather loose than normal. So I sent that one back on 1/26/2015. Then I got the email on 2/6/2015 that they will be sending me a GTX 780. I talked to them today and they said they have no stock for the same replacement and there is nothing they can do about it other than send me a gtx 780 or a gtx 780 ti reference.

Every RMA I've had with Asus (2 motherboards over many many years) were handled beautifully with no stress. They sent me new in box parts both times within 14 days.

I will never understand why people on here love to bash Asus for this crap. Clearly there is more to the story than we are being told.
A lot of customer support is dependent on the person handling your request. I started off working at a software company at the tier 2 level back when I was starting my career. If you got me on the line, you were in good shape. If you got my colleagues, you were fucked. :)

One person's experiences aren't really notable, good or bad. It's only when it becomes a trend that you should care.

OP this is absolutely unacceptable and you should press them for the equivalent part or an upgrade. A downgrade is NEVER acceptable.

So after 3 failed attempts over the past 3 months to rma my 780ti, Asus decided to take my GTX 780 TI DC2 OC and send me a GTX780 as my replacement .
Their words are "The GTX780 are subpart for GTX780TI. When we didn’t have stock for the GTX780TI, system will automatic allocate for GTX780"
Is this acceptable?
Got a screenshot of the email or letter, something?
If you send this out to the void, I'm sure some respectable sources will pick up the news and give ASUS a hard time.

This kind of behavior is unacceptable. You're sitting on a bomb shell.

Okay got ahold of Asus via facebook and they said
Hi Cory, Our SM team here agree with you a GTX 780 is not suitable. Please drop us your RMA number and email address to [email protected] and we'll follow up.

On a side note, Asus RMA doesn't send you preprinted shipping labels anymore, you have to actually drive to a fedex location and have them scan a barcode to make a label, which is more of a hassle for me as I can't just drop it off at a mailing center. They also will fedex you a signature required return package so that you are guaranteed go get a sticker on your door because you were at work, and forced to go back to the fedex warehouse to pick up after 7 pm.

Got a screenshot of the email or letter, something?
If you send this out to the void, I'm sure some respectable sources will pick up the news and give ASUS a hard time.

This kind of behavior is unacceptable. You're sitting on a bomb shell.
10fqpug.jpg

This totally goes against their warranty policy as Magoo stated.

To be fair, Nvidia had stopped producing 700 series chips for months now and most inventory record systems and databases will simply automatically refill out of stock or unavailable items to reduce human overhead and error to the point where the warehouse workers may not even have a clue to what's in the box, they just follow standard rma shipping details, they are not quality control with huge inventories.

OP situation is helluva lame and should be corrected for quality control and customer relationship reasons, but how often do we REALLY hear about this kind of situations? Yeah..... That's what I thought. Only griping customers come to support forums, not happy owners or successful Rma swaps

So control your tempers and Internet witch hunt attitudes until you have all the facts people

To be fair, Nvidia had stopped producing 700 series chips for months now and most inventory record systems and databases will simply automatically refill out of stock or unavailable items to reduce human overhead and error to the point where the warehouse workers may not even have a clue to what's in the box, they just follow standard rma shipping details, they are not quality control with huge inventories.

OP situation is helluva lame and should be corrected for quality control and customer relationship reasons, but how often do we REALLY hear about this kind of situations? Yeah..... That's what I thought. Only griping customers come to support forums, not happy owners or successful Rma swaps

So control your tempers and Internet witch hunt attitudes until you have all the facts people

While I agree, that negative opinion is 10x louder than positive, a business should receive ample criticism for bad service. Their goal should be zero complaints. That's impossible, but it should be the goal they strive for.every complaint regarding customer service (and otherwise) is a complaint they earned.

Man, that sounds like a horrible run around with Asus. I hope you get it resolved in no time and people should stop buying their shit. Amazing products, but customer service makes them a dump. My only Asus product in last 10 years is Asus 3D Monitor. Good luck OP!

Yeah that's not cool- hope you can work it out and get what you deserve which at this point is a GTX 980 and no less then a 780TI!

Yes, definitely get in touch with the Asus reps and get this sorted. Per Asus' own warranty statement, you should have received a properly working GTX 780Ti or higher video card.

However, my gut is telling me there may be something awry with your system. If you have another video card, check it out in your system to see if you experience any issues.

Yes, definitely get in touch with the Asus reps and get this sorted. Per Asus' own warranty statement, you should have received a properly working GTX 780Ti or higher video card.

However, my gut is telling me there may be something awry with your system. If you have another video card, check it out in your system to see if you experience any issues.

I am back on my GTX 780 Lightning, just got done playing some BF4 with no issues. Awry system wouldn't explain 3 different failures on cards.

and I'm on my third Maximus V Extreme board, something that cost me almost $400

Let's find 1 person who was happy with their ASUS RMA service... Just one.

This guy sent his card in, waited 4 weeks, and they sent him back the exact same card and he's RMAing again.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1845120

He didn't come here to whine, he was here for the whole process from the beginning.

that's what happened to me on my MVE RMA's, they kept sending me back the same board. was fucking bullshit. i finally got them to send me a new board and i didnt give them my CC# either, so they couldn't put a hold on it and claim it was customer damaged

I have a another machine with a MIVEZ board that the main pci-e slot went out. I am scared to RMA it, so I just use the next slot down.

I have a another machine with a MIVEZ board that the main pci-e slot went out. I am scared to RMA it, so I just use the next slot down.

had this issue w/ a P8Z68-V

couldn't get first or 2nd PCI-Ex16 slots to work

took the board out of the case and remounted it with all of the standoffs in place

fixed the problem, looks like it was being shorted out somewhere

Although the GTX780 is no slouch.. they should have replaced it with a GTX970 if they were out of GTX780TI's..

Although the GTX780 is no slouch.. they should have replaced it with a GTX970 if they were out of GTX780TI's..

a GTX 780 Ti is still not a 340 dollar card like the gtx 970 is. The retail price and the cc hold cost more than a gtx 980.

780ti is faster than the 970. It's also the full G*110 GPU not a neutered G*104. At this point in time the 980 would be the only acceptable current card.

100% unacceptable in my view.

I would take to social media about this if you have not already done so. Get it on their twitter and facebook pages and see what the response is then (i.e. when it's public).

780ti is faster than the 970. It's also the full G*110 GPU not a neutered G*104. At this point in time the 980 would be the only acceptable current card.

Not sure why they wouldn't have done this in the first place. I mean - the 980 is cheaper than the 780 ti, so what's the problem?

Not sure why they wouldn't have done this in the first place. I mean - the 980 is cheaper than the 780 ti, so what's the problem?

The "problem" is it's ASUS and they seem to be very resistant to simply doing the right thing, no matter how easy it is.
OR
there are only a few logical thinkers in their CS department
OR
they want to see if they can get away with doing the least amount for their customers.

I've got a ton of ASUS motherboards, and they have always been just fine.....but there's no way I would buy any of their other products......especially GPUs.

I am seriously about to blow my head off with the support guy.

Peter B.
Being that you did not want my supervisor to email for the option to send the reference 780 TI, there is nothing we can do for you here unfortunately.

DC2 does not = Reference.....

Let's find 1 person who was happy with their ASUS RMA service... Just one.

This guy sent his card in, waited 4 weeks, and they sent him back the exact same card and he's RMAing again.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1845120

He didn't come here to whine, he was here for the whole process from the beginning.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1632711&highlight=

good experience for me, not saying the OP is misleading anyone, I'm pretty sure it will be different for everyone.

The best thing is, when it gets some visibility, the comapny usually changes their tune :)

Bad rep online spreads quick! There is a reason why companies (retail) always tell their employees the customer is always right.

Last edited:
Back