Asus horror story after 14 years w no RMA's

mobbmann

n00b
Ive bought mainly asus motherboards since 2000. I went with xfx and evga mother boards and the rma process for both companies is ridiculously easy and user friendly. Now fast forward to 2014... I had my first asus video card with directcu cooler on it and one of the fans went out. I rma'd the card to asus and they sent it right back without repairing it. I thought it must have been a mistake so I called asus. after 45 minutes on hold and explaining my problem for the second time im told the representative cannot process my advance rma at the moment and tells me to call right back and some one else will... mmmm kay.

I call back and wait another 40 minutes and tell them what happened, they said they would advance rma it now. the only catch was they had to do a stock check which would take 2 days, then after that they would send me a email which they would then respond to after another 24 hours. if the card was not in stock I would have to do another regular rma... not the most efficient process to say the least.

Its been over a week now and they have not sent me the email and I don't feel like waiting another 30-45 minutes on the phone for help with this issue. I have a friend who wants the card in question to put an after market cooler on so im selling it to him for 100 dollars just to be done with it.

So the funny thing is, every thing is great with asus until something goes wrong and you need to RMA... I always thought the asus rma horror stories were exaggerated somewhat but I was obviously naive. as a customer, when you pay a premium for a product you expect a little more, and quite honestly asus are just flat out unprofessional when it comes to RMA support. It is really quite tragic because they make fantastic motherboards, but lets be honest here a 3 year warranty means nothing if the manufacturer does not honor it as they should.

As I write this I now have an EVGA 780 ti sc acx and it is quiet and fast...the fans made a very faint whine during the first 15 minutes of burn in which is apparently normal and not the first card I've had do that on the burn in process, just fyi if you get one.

P.S. kyle, it would be great if you did a review of asus customer support, you might rethink giving them awards in the future.

sincerely,

former asus fan boy

"So the funny thing is, every thing is great with asus until something goes wrong and you need to RMA..."

Um, I think that means that not everything is great with asus then! Sorry to hear your tale of woe, their laptop RMA process was a breeze so I guess a separate department handles video cards.

Yeah I'll never buy another ASUS product again...
...Except my current motherboard, and literally every motherboard that came before it or will come after it.

Just kidding. I'm probably switching to MSI next round, seeing as how there are no other viable alternatives.
EVGA's boards are dead in the water and unless Corsair decides to start making them...

I thought the title of the thread meant that you've been waiting 14 years for your RMA :eek:

Its nearly 3 years since I last bought an Asus product after being refused support on a faulty brand new motherboard.

"So the funny thing is, every thing is great with asus until something goes wrong and you need to RMA..."

Um, I think that means that not everything is great with asus then! Sorry to hear your tale of woe, their laptop RMA process was a breeze so I guess a separate department handles video cards.

Their laptop debarment was a breeze for me, too, until they couldn't fix my UX21E's sudden power loss issue.

I feel ASUS products are still better made, but their RMA isn't great, especially for components.

MSI, I'm still a bit weary about, since their AMD mobo frying days. But it looks like my next choice may be them, unless if eVGA releases an impressive Broadwell mATX board.

Oh yeah I remember now, ASUS doesn't support ECC on their workstation boards if you use anything other than Xeons, at least not until recently, and I literally had to show them the Intel spec sheets saying some Pentiums and i3s do support it. They said they'd update the BIOS but never did. Thanks for wasting my time ASUS, asking me to do like 7 screenshots and email back and forth for a week. So I guess I've had a good ASUS laptop RMA and a not so good ASUS mobo problem.

Last edited:
Just a +1 for MSI, never had an issue with them or their products. I'm slowly switching components over to them as I upgrade.

Asus has been on my do not buy list for a while now because of their poor customer service regarding warranties. It's a shame because I think they still make some good products but electronics are too temperamental to buy them from a company that won't honor it's warranty or tries to make it difficult.

As for motherboards, I've been pretty happy with my Gigabyte board and they seem to still be trying to build up the company rather than just coasting on reputation. Though I have to admit I'm not really up to date on their latest motherboard offerings.

I am a Gigabyte man myself, but i also have never had to RMA anything to them... hopefully never!

Asus has improved over the years but some cases still fall through the cracks. The difference from a few years ago when they would break stuff and blame it on the user and now has changed quite a bit though.

Though it might me just a coincidence that I went from an ASUS Matrix 7970 to Sapphire 7950's and now to EVGA with my current 780 :D . I think going forward I'll just wait and pick up EVGA/Sapphire depending on AMD/NV rather than getting the what's available.

I have a Nexus 7, the first version, it stopped working, I've done like 5 rma request and never ever got a rma number or an answer. I did one to gigabyte, in 2 days I had my number and the procedure to send the item

I've had to RMA two separate things with Gigabyte and both times it was very fast/easy. The problem is it's nearly impossible to understand the guys on the phone but they really try to help you out and get your problem sorted.

Also bought a 7950 from them and it was missing a screw for the fan assembly, so I called them up and 3 days later I had a whole bag of them.

Last edited:
Sounds complicated... I'm glad that I live in Finland where I only have to send it back to the shop.

Yeah Gigabyte is the way to go. They make good stuff. Good motherboards, good video cards, good support.

*although MSI does have pretty good support, I haven't had great luck with their stuff over the years.

Not surprised from Asus. To the above post, EVGA has arguably the best customer service of any brand.

thanks for the heads up; I will make sure to buy another brand next time. I hate companies that waste your time.

Gigabyte or MSI depending on what feature you need in the future.

I haven't had any RMA issues with Asus, but maybe that is because I have never had to RMA their products very often. I have a A7N8X still running strong after 10+ years. I'm not saying their perfect, I'm saying they are reliable. But I would surely try another company if I had a bad experience with them.

Back