ASUS & [H]ardOCP Haswell Z87 ROG Motherboard Giveaway! Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
mPCIe Combo II + Wi-Fi 802.11ac , Bluetooth 4.0, hotwire, slow mode, ramdisk, usb 3.0 boost. There are to many things to write and i'm tired of writing

RAM Disk.

Have to say love the new look of it too, although not sure how long I'd be looking at it after I set it up.

Another thing I'm interested in is the power savings mode, of course on a ROG board this seems a bit crazy but this is a feature that is available across the board (yuk yuk yuk).

Semi-interested in quicknotes but the best thing is CUSTOMIZING YOUR ADVANCE SCREEN! Yay, not having to remember where everything is at and just short cutting the main pages.

The most exciting new feature to me is the ability to favorites and shortcuts in the UEFI.

If only I could add [H]ardOCP and Asus to it ;)

After checking out the stats of this board the SSD secure erase feature seems really nice. Everything else is what you would expect from a top of the line board, but the SSD secure erase brings it just over the top :)

Best thing for me? Last stored profile setting so I can get back to where I was when I screw something up.

Having a favorites / shortcut section in the UEFI should make tweaking an overclock much more efficient.

Instead of sifting through multiple sub menus and categories, I can simply place all of my multiplier, RAM, voltage and monitoring settings all in one section. Everything I need, nothing I don't. This has me excited :)

I'm very excited to try the new Ramdisk feature. Asus for life!!!

Help me get rid of this Asrock MB!!!. :p

Now I am excited. After really studying the new bios I see there are many things that will make my life easier in setting up and tuning my system.

I'm not sure there is a single item that can be listed on this outstanding bios as there are so many great ones but I'll touch on the ones that make me firm:

The EZ mode page that lists lots of critical information in one place.
Really smooth mouse integration - no more arrow keys doing something unexpected.
Naming my sata ports. I have several drives and it can get confusing as to which is on which port while in the bios.
extreme tweaker memory presets - now I don't need a degree in RAM timings to optimize my sticks.
Secure erase - I really like that I can get my drives back up to full speed after I've been using them for months.

Now the features that make me [H]ard!

Easy XMP ram settings - So EASY now. If I want to go wilder I'll check the presets in the advanced section. At least now if I'm lazy the board will automatically take care of it.
quick notes - so many times I've tweaked something, lost the scrap paper I wrote the settings on and ended up starting from scratch.
hand in hand with the quick notes is "last modified" - I can see that being a life saver.
What person who is truly [H] ever boots up a brand new build at stock speed to start off with? CPU level up will guarantee that I'll be at least at 4.2ghz while loading windows. Of course I'll be cranking it up a lot more later (yay quick notes and last modified page) but this is a great start.
Ram disk - When you absolutely have to be in the map first an SSD just doesn't cut it anymore since everyone else has one.
Last but not least - the Gamer overclocking - dynamically overclocks the cores that are actually being used. So when I am running that two threaded game two cores can be taking it easy while the board makes the two being used scream =) Fewer wasted cycles equals lower heat. Sure my watercooling system will keep the cpu cool but it doesn't do anything to keep my room cool.

I've been extremely happy with my MIVE but this has improvements to make a tweaker (both lazy ones and [Hardcore ones) blissful.

Last edited:
Having recently built a system using the Hero for a friend. The ease of which Autotune established a stable overclock simply floored me.

I love all of the new features, but the overclocking ability is what sells me on it. Nothing that I love better than pushing a machine to it's limits.

When Intel fails to give me enough of a reason to upgrade to Haswell, Asus pulls thru by creating a bunch of kick ass features to make me want to upgrade to Haswell from my old Sandy Bridge. The built in RamDisk feature without the need to buy 3rd party software to do the same thing is by far one of the most valuable features, and the one I am looking forward to the most. If I get one of these boards, I am going to max out the RAM just to use this feature.

I think the main screen with all the info would makes things easier.

I love the UEFI interface in EZmode, CPU TEMP, fan speed, XMP settings, then click to boot, makes setting up the system really fast. I want it. I like the one click ASUS overclocking, when im ready to game its very easy to maximize speed with being able to run in energy saver mode when doing work and browsing the web.

SSD Secure Erase is cool, but I think the shortcuts feature could be the most useful. Whether you're fine tuning an over clock or troubleshooting a problem, it's not uncommon to have to reboot and re-enter the BIOS/UEFI multiple times. Getting back to the settings you're working on quickly is a big convenience.

I always have far more RAM than I need unless I'm running a RAMdisk for a game to be installed on or multiple VMs simultaneously. The included RAMDisk software would be a welcomed addition. My current licensed software is a bit long in the tooth and predates the existence of SSDs. If nothing else, I'd be interesting to test them against each other to see what ASUS is bundling versus what I paid for a few years ago.

Honestly, all of it looks better than my current UEFI on my Ass Rock board.

Being in the military I no longer have a lot of spare time to tweak my system and test dozens of overclocks. With high quality components, high quality easy to use interface, and the ability to set up profiles for pretty much everything... overclocking has never been easier!

It's really hard to pick a single, best feature from the new BIOS as there are so many really, really cool things about UEFI. If pressed, I think I'd have to say the ability to set favorites, so you can have easy access to all your most commonly visited items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back