ASUS & [H]ardOCP Haswell Z87 ROG Motherboard Giveaway! Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many things to name! :)

First of all, asus has all of the little touches - they put thought into things that other motherboard manufactuers don't. This isn't specific to the UEFI (i'll get into that later) but I think this warrants mention. The fan headers are in INTUITIVE locations, everything on the motherboard has a layout that is well thought out. I used an ASrock motherboard last year which had fan headers not only hard to get to, but impossible in many cases - I remember a PCIe slot, when used, blocked the fan header. This is the exact opposite of what asus does - everything is in the perfect spot, with a lot of thought going towards proper locations to ensure a good experience to the user.

These are things which a mere specification list CANNOT spell to a user. This is why asus is better than the competition!

As for the UEFI itself. Really, too many things to name here! Like others have said, i'm very excited for SSD secure erase and RAMdisk. These are *awesome* features, ones not present AFAIK on other brands whatsoever. Let me mention some not so obvious little touches - I'm very accustomed to the asus UEFI from the Z77 series, and the ROG boards maintain the same general sort of feel so that upgraders won't feel completely lost when coming from a prior generation board. Then you have little touches such as the "ROG pulse" from the eye in the upper left hand corner, which tells you that the system is operational - when going for a maximum overclock that is very helpful.

Aside from this, having tons and tons of memory presets in the DRAM timing control section is a nice added touch. Much easier and more intuitive than adding 10 manual timings every time you want to OC your memory. Lastly, there are other awesome things as well such as the GPU DIMM post, which is also useful for tweakers and overclockers.

I've said it before but it's the little touches that really set the asus boards apart, particularly the ROG boards. And the intuitiveness and thought that goes into the engineering of the boards - the fan headers are always easy access, as are the SATA ports and everything on the board. Having used other brands in the past, this is most definitely not the case with the competition. The competition lives by specification lists with little thought to such things.

I'm torn between Ramdisk and Sonic Radar, but I'll have to go with Ramdisk. Faster loading is always a good thing.

Can't decide between Ramdisk, enhanced overclocking presets, and SSD secure erase! ASUS - continually BRINGING it to the competition!!

I really like the RAMdisk feature.. that is a boon to gamers. The secure erase is also a great feature for those who care about privacy. I also dig the enhancements to the overclocking tools making them more centralized (that OC panel looks killer)!

As far as the UEFI goes just the last modified, way to easy to lose track of previous settings.

Secure Erase, it'll make wiping a main OS SSD a breeze.

Pretty impressed by the abilities of ports intelligently/automatically disabling when not in use though, rather than setting them to be manually (and permanently) disabled.

I am not someone who fully understands all the intricacies of overclocking a system. So for me the easy answer is the UEFI BIOS EZ Mode. With the ability to have more intricate system fan controls, XMP settings, and extra-quick mouse-controlled system adjustments, it makes overclocking a breeze for me. I don't have to spend hours pouring over documentation on what every advanced setting means. This allows me to install all my components and get my system overclocked with minimal effort and time. I am looking forward to getting my hands on this revamped UEFI BIOS. It looks like it will be fun to sit down and get my pc overclocked much faster than my friends running 'other brands'. Thanks ASUS YOU ROCK :)

Def the secure erase SSD, I feel like my intel 520 isn't nearly fast as it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back