ASUS GTX680 DirectCU II TOP or EVGA GTX680 Classified

Bone_Enterprise

Enter in the Rear
So I placed an order for my new video card a few weeks ago, which is still on back order, but I am wondering if I should change my order for another card now while I have the opportunity to, or if I should stick with my current order.

Currently I am in spot number one in line that will get will get their back order fulfilled when the next shipment arrives for a ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 DirectCU II TOP from the vendor I ordered from, my question is should I wait for that to get back on the market or should I try for an EVGA card, knowing that I also may have to wait for back orders to get filled on that as well, here are the two cards I am considering.

GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 (ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP):
CUDA Cores: 1536 CUDA
GPU Base Clock : 1137 MHz, 1201MHz Boost Clock
Memory GDDR5 2048 MB
Memory Clock 6008 MHz ( GDDR5 )
Resolution DVI Max Resolution : 2560x1600

EVGA 04G-P4-3688-KR (EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified):
CUDA Cores: 1536 CUDA
GPU Base Clock: 1111 MHz, 1176MHz Boost Clock
Memory: 4096 MB
Memory Clock: 6008 MHz (effective)
Resolution: 2560x1600 Max Digital

Question is, is should I go ahead and go with the card that has 4GB RAM, or stick with my current order that only is running 2GB, is that going to make any noticeable difference at all considering the clock frequencies?

I will be buying a second monitor for dual screen gaming, video editing, graphics editing, etc at some point in this video cards life cycle.
Generally I go years before upgrading my video card, so usually go with whatever is the current best card on the market, knowing it will be along while before I upgrade.

Should I even do NVIDIA at all and jump ship and just go with a ATI 7970 instead?
It has been years since I have ran an ATI card and actually have not followed the ATI flavor in some time since when I do purchase a new card NVIDA seems to have the market at locked down the time.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Current specs that I just finished upgrading to last week are in my signature.

Asus, I've heard the Classified is a hit and miss and the Asus should be a lot quieter at load.

Ditch them both and get an MSI Lightning GTX 680. Best card out there if you're only going to use one or two cards. If you may go 3-way or 4-way SLI in the future - the Classified 680 is then the best card.

If you're running resolutions higher than 1920x1080, 4gb is generally a good idea to be safe.

OP, I feel that the MSI lightning 680 is the strongest for 1 or 2 way, you also get unlocked triple voltage with the new afterburner. The asus card is also very good, but is triple slot and you can't overvoltage without doing a mod or VGA hotwire. Asus or MSI is the way to go IMHO, you don't need 4gb unless you're doing 5760x1600.

The classified is quite expensive for what you get.... Its a great card for 3 way or 4 way SLI, and its also good if you need cards that exhaust heat out of the case (preferable for SLI - especially 3 or 4 way) Also, classified is the best card if you're doing surround. Going by your sig though, i'd say the asus or lightning are better choices.

Is it better to get a 4GB card or a 2GB card with higher clocks though?

VRAM doesn't increase performance. Think of VRAM like hard drive space - if you run out its painful, but it doesn't increase performance to have more. 4gb really isn't helpful unless you're doing 5760x1200; VRAM won't be an issue for single screen resolutions. (I also play at 2560x1600 and always monitor VRAM usage) Even at surround resolutions 2gb is fine if you opt for no AA or FXAA - VRAM becomes an issue if you apply 2x MSAA or higher in *some games* at 5760x1200 - more than likely you'll have to limit yourself to FXAA with 2gb at 5760x1200. Again, it doesn't matter for single screen resolutions.

I heard nVidia is forcing MSI to not allow for voltage above 1.175 so really it's not worth spending the extra money.

I also read a thread proving that the 4GB is still not fully utilized correctly. Maybe in the future 4GB of VRAM will be figured out, but I've never owned a video card yet to this date that correctly utilizes the extra VRAM - so I don't think from what I've read and experienced personally that they have that figured out yet.

According to [H] the Asus TOP is a better choice than the Lightning, and a better value.

All lightnings have unlocked voltage. The BIOS that was speculated about was not released, so all lightnings have unlocked software voltage. Furthermore, if a BIOS that forces 1175mV is put on new cards in the future you can simply flash to the original BIOS and get unlocked software voltage - so the net effect is that all lightnings have unlocked software voltage. You can simply view the nvidia forum at OCN for proof, everyone is oc'ing their lightnings with over voltage.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280007/official-msi-gtx-680-lightning-owners-club

Several have gotten overclocks above 1400, and all lightning owners can over voltage. Regarding VRAM , 5760 * 1200 * 4 bytes (per sample) * 8 (samples per pixel) = 221,184,000 bytes per back and front buffer. There is one front buffer and two back buffers, so 663,552,000 bytes just for your frame buffer. You can even do surround but you may have to limit yourself to no AA or FXAA, using MSAA 4x or higher is the only time more VRAM can help, and then only at 5760x1200. Bottom line is that 4gb is only helpful for extreme surround resolutions.

Last edited:
Lightning are the best 680's this comes from Asus DCII 680 owner, but....the second best IMHO is definitely the DCII/TOP cards, they are amazingly quality build for the price.

So in short, you're wrong

Okay I apologize I was referring to what I had read in this thread.

That said I'm not saying the lightning is not the best 680 but rather it is not the best value and I was basing my information on the [H] reviews mentioned... :confused: :(

Okay I apologize I was referring to what I had read in this thread.

That said I'm not saying the lightning is not the best 680 but rather it is not the best value and I was basing my information on the [H] reviews mentioned... :confused: :(

True, its not a great value. It is quite an expensive card...

The one wild card is if you have a Maximus asus motherboard, two things to consider are VGA hotwire with OC key and the price. The price on the DC2 is very much more attractive than the lightning, and if I owned a Maximus V I would definitely go for the DC2 over the lithtning. (You can get easy overvoltage with any asus maximus motherboard) Its a great card.

Then get the TOP you won't be sorry AT ALL.

I'm trying really hard to like the DirectCU II but taking up 3 slots? Dumping heat into the case? Come on! :(

I picked up a lightning myself, as I only want one big monitor, so I don't need extra ram.

love my GTX680 Classified - i just cant image how poor game will run without 4gb of vram on a resolution of 5760 x 1080 on a single gpu.

Classified get my vote and anything above 1080p is a great idea to have more than 2gb.

love my GTX680 Classified - i just cant image how poor game will run without 4gb of vram on a resolution of 5760 x 1080 on a single gpu.

Classified get my vote and anything above 1080p is a great idea to have more than 2gb.

Anything over 2560x1600*

fixed :)

He's envious psyide ;)

Asus DC2:

Lightning:

hsli3152.jpg

Wait, 670 is within 5% right cannondale? That means 670 SLI can get 120 fps in heaven maxed out. Right? Anxiously awaiting a 670 user to post 120 fps in heaven with the same settings.

Last edited:
Gratz on your new card! :)

Can you upload bigger pic of the DCII card? cant see shit :D

Thats not me bro :cool: I'm just demonstrating how the lightning and DC2 are within 5% of the 670 (cough cough bullshit)

thats in sli correct 3152 score?

EDIT: just seen it now 2 gpu's thought for a sec it was single card LOL

Decided to go with a MSI Lightning, tired of waiting and it was only $50.01 more ($579.99) than what I was going to pay for my ASUS.

Personally I would go with EVGA because they take care of their customers on an unprecedented level. They monitor quite a few forums and I have seen them respond personally to people with issues. Seen them on overclockers.net as well as nvnews.net(before the storm}. Wouldn't be surprised if they are here as well.

If you're struggling between these cards, I'd honestly recommend a Classified. $50 more for 4gb (good for large resolutions if you decide in the future, games down the road, etc.) and a better stock cooler that vents out of your case.

Plus, how can you deny this PCB?

img0594t.jpg

Truth be told, that board is much better for SLI as it vents out of the case. Venting air inside the case can be problematic.

I think all 3 cards are getting full cover water blocks though, the dc2 already has one. But for SLI on air I think classified is a damn fine choice if you require 4gb.

If you're doing single card you'll be fine. For SLI though, you'd have to work on optimizing case air flow and your SLI overclocks will be lower (this applies to all cards though, SLI overclocks are always lower than single GPU)

Back