ASUS GTX Titan X in stock at Amazon $999.99

Just grabbed one to match my other ASUS. Hopefully the cancellation from nvidia.com goes through ok, otherwise I'll be stuck with an extra Titan X

Must... resist...
Wait for... 980 Ti news...
I deliberated for a while as well. Not trying to dissuade you from being patient, but I went ahead and took the plunge just because there's always something right around the corner. First I was going to wait for 980 Ti, then I was going to wait for Skylake. Then once one of those comes around, it'll be time for the latest offering from nVidia, etc.

I deliberated for a while as well. Not trying to dissuade you from being patient, but I went ahead and took the plunge just because there's always something right around the corner. First I was going to wait for 980 Ti, then I was going to wait for Skylake. Then once one of those comes around, it'll be time for the latest offering from nVidia, etc.
True, that. And I just saw that my tax refund was deposited in my account today...

Surprised they're still in stock. They've been impossible to get a hold of the last week or so.

Having a hard resisting. I've had an EVGA branded titan x on order from amazon since the 7th. Ugh. I want the evga warranty

Just picked one up. Selling my Asus GTX980 on ebay for $500. Makes this Titan X only $500. No reason not to pick one up right now if you own a 980.

Waiting for the bitching when those who buy the overpriced titan could have got a get 980ti a few months later for like half the price and same performance. Titan x is a joke

Waiting for the bitching when those who buy the overpriced titan could have got a get 980ti a few months later for like half the price and same performance. Titan x is a joke
Isn't it more likely that the 980 ti will be priced at $750? Titan X is 30% faster than 980. 980 is $600 and Titan X is $1K. I feel like that is pretty normal to have that sort of price increase for that last little bit of performance.

I think Titan X owners are fully aware of the price/performance ratio.

I highly doubt it will be half the price I'm guessing it's going to be between $700 and $800 with half the ram slightly faster clock speeds but I'm wagering less cuda cores. I for one won't be crying even if a miracle happens and the TI comes out sub $700 because I knew what I was walking in to before I bought it :)

Isn't it more likely that the 980 ti will be priced at $750? Titan X is 30% faster than 980. 980 is $600 and Titan X is $1K. I feel like that is pretty normal to have that sort of price increase for that last little bit of performance.

I think Titan X owners are fully aware of the price/performance ratio.

With a 30% performance gap between the Titan X and 980, combined with the ability to shave 1/3 to 1/2 of the VRAM off of the Titan X and who know how many CUDA cores, to make a 980 Ti, isn't there enough room for NVIDIA to make a card that performs 15 - 20% faster than a 980, while still keeping the premium value for the Titan X? The performance gap between the 970 and 980 (3.5GB issues aside) is in that range, yet the 980 comes with a $200+ price gap. Paying extra for that last performance bump isn't really uncommon in NVIDIA's history.

With a 30% performance gap between the Titan X and 980, combined with the ability to shave 1/3 to 1/2 of the VRAM off of the Titan X and who know how many CUDA cores, to make a 980 Ti, isn't there enough room for NVIDIA to make a card that performs 15 - 20% faster than a 980, while still keeping the premium value for the Titan X? The performance gap between the 970 and 980 (3.5GB issues aside) is in that range, yet the 980 comes with a $200+ price gap. Paying extra for that last performance bump isn't really uncommon in NVIDIA's history.

But history has shown Nvidia doesn't care about dethroning the Titan. The 780 Ti was faster and cheaper, just lacked the VRAM. Granted, they came out with the Titan Black later, but months after the Ti hit.

But history has shown Nvidia doesn't care about dethroning the Titan. The 780 Ti was faster and cheaper, just lacked the VRAM. Granted, they came out with the Titan Black later, but months after the Ti hit.

I thought that their decision was based upon the fact that the previous Titan was a workstation-lite card. I'm not sure that we can assume that they will follow the same pattern with the new Titan X being a purely gaming card.

Either way it is up to them. There is enough room for another video card in their product stack if they want to go that route or they can obliterate the Titan X with a faster/cheaper 980 Ti. I would think that this time around it might alienate more customers though.

The original Titan wasn't the full chip. The Titan X is. nVidia does seem to learn from it's mistakes...

Will the 980ti be close to the Titan X and cheaper? Sure, and everyone knows this. I'd still opt for the 12GB VRAM for high end displays & SLI or higher IMO.

Also most people buying Titan X(s) probably don't care about a few hundred $.

Also most people buying Titan X(s) probably don't care about a few hundred $.

By delaying the lunch of the 980Ti, NVIDIA temporary avoids the cannibalization of its more profitable offering, the Titan X.
I will personally wait for the 980 Ti as I see very little benefit from having 12GB of VRAM for the coming 12 months.

Back