ASUS GTX 680 for $197 at Amazon

My order got canceled this morning. Congrats on the deal guys. As always keep watch on these awesome deals. Lightning will strike again ;)

Mine says it's at carrier fac in my town but won't be happy until it's at my door.

No one is saying you should sell with no profit.

And you are coming across as a dick for no real reason. You don't have to agree with my opinion but keep your insults to yourself. I like to think people around [H] look out for each other more than just trying to gouge on prices. You don't have to agree with that, but maybe this community isn't for you.

If you feel that what I said was an insult, I'm sorry. I said it makes you seem, imo, petty. That's different from saying you are in fact petty. I don't personally know you to say you are petty or not, but your words, written on this forum (post #161), make you appear petty.

We can continue to agree to disagree on whether other people are entitled to any kind of deal when they haven't bought in, but there's no need to clearly insult me and escalate this nonsensical conversation when I've done nothing of the sort.

I think people on here get plenty of help. Help to diagnose problems, help to pick out parts, help to find deals. I'd like to ask you if they are entitled to anything at all -- all free of charge -- from anyone? This thread could be closed at the very next post, the OP could have kept the deal to his-/herself.

OK, let's keep this on-topic or I'll close my own thread. I think we've all said our piece and differing opinions are what keeps the world interesting, but Soapbox or Hot Deal Discussions are the forums for that. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan, but my wife should be recieving the 680 via USPS (what's up with that, Prime?) today. I'd love to see some more pics or reports from others who got in on the deal, since I won't be seeing mine for months.

You keep throwing around this term "entitled". Where did it ever come up that anyone said they were entitled to buying or reselling these at this price? All I said was that I personally believe people who try to buy these for the purpose of flipping them for close to retail price are assholes. You're welcome to disagree with me, but never did I imply anything about being unhappy for those who got this deal or that I believed people should get anything "free of charge". These are all your own words pulled out of nowhere and have no context in this discussion.

I think it's great that people actually got this deal. If those people want to try to sell them for a 200% markup, they are free to do so, though I hate to see that kind of thing on the [H]. Actually, so far I had only seen one user trying to that on here with this deal, and shortly after the thread appears to have been deleted. So either that user felt wrong about it, or a mod did. Either way, it's not necessarily a rules violation, but I don't think that kind of thing is in the spirit of the [H] community.

EDIT: I was still writing this when the above post showed up, but I agree, it's a bit off-topic and this will be my last post about this.

Sounds like an Amazon bait-and-switch scam. Best avoid. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

All these responses and no pix yet..I call bullshit on all you lucky bastids! :D

Post #87 has pictures .... look through the thread ;)

All these responses and no pix yet..I call bullshit on all you lucky bastids! :D

I wish i wasnt holding back on spending (aka not visiting hot deals) .... was browsing H when this showed up, would have jumped on it as well...

Mine was delivered 5 minutes ago, and it is a 680. Thanks very much, Fenris_Ulf!

Edit: looking at the box, there's a sticker on here labeling it a GTX660-DC2-2GD5. It looks like it's probably Amazon's sticker, since it doesn't have the UPC code on it. The UPC code sticker indicates that it's a GTX680-DC2-2DG5 (which is what it is).

Last edited:
Sounds like an Amazon bait-and-switch scam. Best avoid. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

:rolleyes:

I don't think you have a strong understanding of what bait-and-switch actually is, so...

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods
(or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate
a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin

:rolleyes:

I don't think you have a strong understanding of what bait-and-switch actually is, so...

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods
(or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate
a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin

Not to mention people have actually received the correct cards, with photo evidence in the thread...

I think Amazon screwed up and didn't know what they were shipping out or their accountant told them they needed a loss for tax reasons. Hope nobody lost their job over this.

I want to see some benchmarks with these cards. Please report any performance issuse or cards blowing up. :D

Ugh, this is proof that I need to check Hot Deals more regularly! Nice job to whoever found it, Amazon does mess up like this once in awhile and will usually honor the orders that came in before they fixed it.

Same thing happened with a crazy cheap price (by mistake) on a set of coilovers for my M3 awhile back, and I missed that one too :(

Ugh, this is proof that I need to check Hot Deals more regularly! Nice job to whoever found it, Amazon does mess up like this once in awhile and will usually honor the orders that came in before they fixed it.

Same thing happened with a crazy cheap price (by mistake) on a set of coilovers for my M3 awhile back, and I missed that one too :(

You would have to be checking it like every 10 minutes.... I came in like an hour after it was posted and I believe it was dead... or maybe 2 hours

Even if people were receiving 660s it wouldn't matter since they could easily return it.

I thought amazon learned there lesson from the mistakes on the MSI 580 Lightning and HIS 6970. I believe they messed up on a 560 as well. I guess it's a good idea to keep an eye out when new cards release ;)

Just got off Skype with my wife - she got the box from Amazon, opened it, and showed me it was a GTX 680.

Thanks OP

Just installed one in my computer. No room for SLI with this mATX :p

Selling the other two at cost to friends so don't ask

33moi7l.jpg

2zdx8qd.jpg

Yup I actually put mine up but Kyle is right, I need to posses them first.
My thoughts were they were selling in the $500 range (most I saw)... I'm probably going to offer them for about $100 less.

Whats wrong with that, already called a bunch of my personal friends. Guys that I LAN with, watch my dogs, etc... I'd say they get first dibs.

So if you hate b/c I might turn a profit off a post? Shoot props to the guy that didn't post to slick deals.

Think about the guys that trying to rip you off on the list for there used garbage at new prices...
Purchased a couple used components over the years that were not stable etc...

What about those guys? Pretty hard to ban them and you know there out there.

Anyways off topic really trying to decide to keep or sell?

The GTX770's perform nearly the same, and I really don't need a replacement for my 560SLI until BF4 comes out.

Decisions decisions then again that 2560x1600 looks good too, and would run killer on 680-sli's.

Come on guys what to do with 2 of them?

Chatted with Amazon and the rep insisted I return the cards and repurchase when it comes back in stock in order to get Splinter Cell. Oh well....

I had a chance and I blew it, didn't bother trying to order one :/

I was late but I always order stuff like this. More often than not I get the deal.
I just bought two 460s from EVGA for $40 a piece yesterday right after I missed this deal.

Win some and lose some, but if you have a chance go for it. Especially through Amazon.
I'm typing on the Rosewill $25 mech board deal Newegg had in December. Some people thought that wasn't going through and it did.

Chatted with Amazon and the rep insisted I return the cards and repurchase when it comes back in stock in order to get Splinter Cell. Oh well....

Ask one of your friends to buy it for you. Then we will see if they really are "friends". :D

Oh and grats on the cards, I woulda bought the same and sold them to friends at cost as well.

Hmmmm wondering if I should feel bad because I have my two in the F/S forum for trade only.

NOPE.

Anyone want to sell one to me at cost? I am a longer time member here and promise to give it a good home :)

This the first time I seen since I been here that we beat out slick deals. Good job guys

In other news....Hard Forum Hot Deal thread traffic is up 300 percent

Wow damn guys, good find!! If I would've known about it, I probably would've gotten at least 4.

Glad it worked out for the few of you, If I hand't gotten a 760 I would've flipped tables. It's still fine though since anything beats my old reference 6870.

Fantastic steal guys. 680 is a great card.
Just purchased 2 780s for 1340 bucks from Amazon. Feel like a fool a bit :p.

Wow! 'grats to the guys who got in on this.
Amazon does mess up at times - I ordered a Nikon D7100 (1200$) from them, to be delivered to a friend in Boston, who was going to get it to India for me. Well, due to some cock-up between USPS and Amazon, the shipment showed up as "returned to sender" on Amazon's tracking, while it was actually delivered to my friend.
Amazon actually reimbursed the entire amount to my credit card - so I had the camera and the 1200USD credited back! I told their customer service rep about this, and they were very nice - offered me a 100$ GC to be used any way I liked on Amazon.

Back