Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II

Custom PCB, custom cooler, metal backplate, uses THREE slots and runs a lot cooler than a stock card! Holy crap! :eek:

Please do post your impressions.

Yeah at first I was considering a non-ref 670 just because of the value there but given the reviews and all the extras you get for $40 over a reference card I decided there was no way I could go wrong. Ill test overclocks and try to record some temps too. Hopefully all goes well.

This card does seem pretty sweet with a non-reference board and cooler. Runs much cooler than a reference card. I'd say if one never plans on going crossfire, it might be the best option out there.

Proud owner of the 680 DCU2 TOP here :D

Yep, custom PCB with extra power phase, Digi VRM and so on. 6+8pin power requirement.

The TOP version is most probably better quality chip. If you can afford it, go for the TOP version.

Here's my current overclock, stable after many hours of BF3 and Skyrim.
Max boost speed at 1298MHz
Mem at 6600MHz
These are the highest I've tried, no idea if it can go higher.
GTX680_DC2T_Overclock.jpg

The fan is practically silent, only way I could hear it is if I turn off the speaker and I can hear a low hum as it throttles up during gaming. Otherwise I won't notice it during gaming as its not those annoying higher pitch sound some fan makes. (like my old GTX295)

PS: Note that I just took that screen shot to show the max boost speed. The temperature may go as high as 73c for me, but I'm living in a warm country. I didn't observe any drop in the clock speed at 73c though

Last edited:
Hornet, do you plan on overvolting the card? I have one on the way too, and that's what I'm doing :D

Hornet, do you plan on overvolting the card? I have one on the way too, and that's what I'm doing :D

The voltage is still hardware locked. Did you mean doing a hardware mod?. No way I'll do that to my card, I can't afford to damage this baby :p

It does look easy though in this article.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gtx-680-directcu-ii-top-2gb-review/15614-3.html
You just need to remove a transistor which is accessible without needing to dismantle anything. And short two points.

Sure as hell easier than the other hardware mod for the reference card.

lol yea, that's what I meant. I'm brave enough to do it, I'll report back with results... or a story of a 680 KIA ;)

lol yea, that's what I meant. I'm brave enough to do it, I'll report back with results... or a story of a 680 KIA ;)

I cant wait to see how this goes. I really hope you get some amazing numbers. Good luck sir and I commend you for your bravery ha.

anyone with this and a 30" screen just wonder if asus has the dvi dual-link 2560x1600 noise problem on this like the 7970 direct cuii

Please do share with us the result. Would be interesting to see how far the chip can go:eek:

Wow, that's a piece of cake. But does it actually help raise the top end? Surely people have tried this already.
The card's availability is still limited at this time.

chimaxi83 might be the first to do it on an Asus DCU2 card :D

Where did you guys pick yours up at? Newegg is out of stock and I have just been spamming refresh for four days and I got nothing.

Just keep watching, i was able to pick one up off newegg a couple of days ago.

Should be here by the weekend, I can't wait.

Asus DirectCUII TOP GTX 680 24/7 100% stable clocks

Power Target: 159% ( Never gets over 110% ha )

Core Boost: 1310mhz

Mem: 6700 mhz

Stock Fan profile max temp 65C

This card is built like a freaking tank. So awesome, very happy with it. I just wish voltage was unlocked because I do believe it would absolutely fly. I dont think we'll every see anything over 1350 without voltage mods. Just the way it is. Anyways heres some pics.

20120516143712419.jpg

20120516144807655.jpg

20120516144824782.jpg

which way are the fans blowing on these cards? is it both fans blowing down onto the PCB?

which way are the fans blowing on these cards? is it both fans blowing down onto the PCB?

Yeap, they both direct air down onto the pcb. Helps cool the rest of the components. The cooler is actually longer than the pcb and hangs over a good bit.

Yeap, they both direct air down onto the pcb. Helps cool the rest of the components. The cooler is actually longer than the pcb and hangs over a good bit.
Thanks, I might be helping someone put together a build using this card. It does look impressive but it looks like it needs a bit of careful fan layout planning in order to efficiently vent the hot air from the case...

Thanks, I might be helping someone put together a build using this card. It does look impressive but it looks like it needs a bit of careful fan layout planning in order to efficiently vent the hot air from the case...

If they have a vented side panel Ive found that not placing a fan on it and allowing the air to come and go helps more than having a fan blowing directly on the card. With a fan directly on the card it prevents the air from escaping the shroud around the card itself. The only placement I would recommend would be a fan directly under the card blowing upwards. Then try to have a fan on top of the case venting the hot air as it rises upwards. Good Luck.

That's right, having a side fan blowing directly on the card might end up trapping the hot air in it.

What I did, for my case here (HAF 932) was to use a 120mm fan for the side intake, and I put a thin cardboard on the top of the fan, folded to direct the air below the card. Not pretty, but works for me I guess.:p

53obi0.jpg

Damn. I can't wait to get mine. I ordered it on May first and I still don't have it :(

So...oddly, a few minutes after I posted this - it's currently in stock at the egg ;) Just got my confirmation.

So...oddly, a few minutes after I posted this - it's currently in stock at the egg ;) Just got my confirmation.

You will be very happy with your purchase. Good job getting one. Let us know how your overclocking goes and your impressions.

I got also GTX 680 Direct CU II but i am having trouble to overclock it and save the settings. Can anyone help me step by step to do it? Thanks guys here is wheat i have so far:

eg3hc2.jpg

I got also GTX 680 Direct CU II but i am having trouble to overclock it and save the settings. Can anyone help me step by step to do it? Thanks guys here is wheat i have so far:

At the bottom of the screen with the graphs, there is a save button and next to that there are profiles 1-5.

Basically once you have the settings you want, click the save button and then click one of the profiles. Congrats! You have now saved the overclocked settings to that number profile. Now just check the box underneath it all that says "apply overclocking at system startup" and you are all set.

These cards appear as though they do exhaust some of the hot air outside of the case no?

These cards appear as though they do exhaust some of the hot air outside of the case no?

Yes, some of the air pressure from the fan closest to the rear of the card does escape through the opening there. I can feel the warm air there when I'm running a game and the fan spins up.

At the bottom of the screen with the graphs, there is a save button and next to that there are profiles 1-5.

Basically once you have the settings you want, click the save button and then click one of the profiles. Congrats! You have now saved the overclocked settings to that number profile. Now just check the box underneath it all that says "apply overclocking at system startup" and you are all set.

Thanks, this card is amazing. 1280/6600 40% fan max temp in heaven 53'C i think i made a mistake ordering one GTX 680 Gigabyte Windforce....

Hey guys, anyone with TOP version able to share BIOS with me? :)

Got my card yesterday, threw it in with my Gigabyte 680 just to mess around with it for a bit before changing up my loop, cleaning my case which has been open to the air for about 2 weeks lol, and putting the Gigabyte card in my girls machine.

twocards.jpg

I just got around to testing mine with some games and it crashes after 2-3 minutes, and this is at stock clocks.

I thought it was my cpu/mem over clock but i went back to stock and it still happens.

Plus i tested my cpu/mem with prime and it was stable.

Guess i am going to try and downclock from stock speeds.

I just got around to testing mine with some games and it crashes after 2-3 minutes, and this is at stock clocks.

I thought it was my cpu/mem over clock but i went back to stock and it still happens.

Plus i tested my cpu/mem with prime and it was stable.

Guess i am going to try and downclock from stock speeds.

If it doesn't do it after you downclock I would rma it cause it's not able to run at the advertised speeds. If your still happy after you downclock it you can always keep it.

Hey guys, anyone with TOP version able to share BIOS with me? :)

Got my card yesterday, threw it in with my Gigabyte 680 just to mess around with it for a bit before changing up my loop, cleaning my case which has been open to the air for about 2 weeks lol, and putting the Gigabyte card in my girls machine.

snip

Asus TOP bios can be downloaded on techPowerUp's site here http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/119167/Asus.GTX680.2048.120405.html

Along with most other popular 680 bios'es

Back