ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Gaming 8GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Gaming 8GB video card posted today at techPowerUP. If you plan on upgrading to a GTX 1080 that overclocks well, has a large custom cooler and RGB lighting, this review will be of interest to you.

The GeForce GTX 1080 is based on NVIDIA's "Pascal" architecture. This architecture sees the streaming multiprocessors (SMs), the indivisible subunits of an NVIDIA GPU, get even more dedicated components, which increases their performance. NVIDIA claims to have "meticulously" designed the GPU architecture to be as energy efficient as possible given the silicon fab node and is leveraging the 16 nm FinFET node at TSMC for "Pascal."

Looks nice. Some random people saying their gaming temps were high (newegg, Reddit, nowinstock forums) but that's about all the complaints I can find. Most people are happy and I'm tempted.

Looks nice. Some random people saying their gaming temps were high (newegg, Reddit, nowinstock forums) but that's about all the complaints I can find. Most people are happy and I'm tempted.
Rewies show good temps. Those people probably have no cable management and thus shitty airflow. I wouldn't trust places like reddit.

Rewies show good temps. Those people probably have no cable management and thus shitty airflow. I wouldn't trust places like reddit.

Yeah I agree, just throwing it out there that a few people are saying their temps were high. I'm hoping for a few more reviews that show good temps. Regardless, this looks like THE card to beat.

Seems decent. looks like they're all (except for the FE) in the same range.

Idle Load Gaming Noise
ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX
45°C 68°C 33 dBA
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 42°C 70°C 34 dBA
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 51°C 72°C 31 dBA
NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE 36°C 83°C 37 dBA

Max. GPU Clock Max. Memory Clock
ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX
2114 MHz 1400 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 2050 MHz 1405 MHz
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 2050 MHz 1400 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE 2114 MHz 1450 MHz

slightly disappointed that ASUS announced $620 non OC/$640 OC release on June 4th when they didn't keep any of these. Wasn't June 4th, the non-oc isn't available, and the OC is now $680 instead of $640. At least its not $720 like the MSI...

Seems decent. looks like they're all (except for the FE) in the same range.

Idle Load Gaming Noise
ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX
45°C 68°C 33 dBA
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 42°C 70°C 34 dBA
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 51°C 72°C 31 dBA
NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE 36°C 83°C 37 dBA

Max. GPU Clock Max. Memory Clock
ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX
2114 MHz 1400 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 2050 MHz 1405 MHz
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 2050 MHz 1400 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE 2114 MHz 1450 MHz

slightly disappointed that ASUS announced $620 non OC/$640 OC release on June 4th when they didn't keep any of these. Wasn't June 4th, the non-oc isn't available, and the OC is now $680 instead of $640. At least its not $720 like the MSI...

Yeah they jacked prices up a tad but they are still reasonable, especially consider MSI's balony. I probably would have bought the MSI card too, every build I think "this is the time I try MSI" but then it never happens.

Yeah they jacked prices up a tad but they are still reasonable, especially consider MSI's balony. I probably would have bought the MSI card too, every build I think "this is the time I try MSI" but then it never happens.

Well here in Belgium, the MSI is 849 € and the Asus strix is 899 € guess which one has my preference :D

Just can't justify the x80 cards anymore.. I know the 1070 will hold me over until well until the Ti comes.

Having just received a Strix, I am contemplating sending it back unopened after reading numerous reports of QC issues. Now someone on Reddit got the card from Newegg and it didn't even have the thermal pads installed (they took the cooler off) :(

I can only get a Newegg refund if the product is unopened, bleh.

Of the four 1080s they reviewed, the worst of them had +600 on memory and one had +800. I'm not saying that's impossible but given the results I've seen, it's pretty unlikely. Not sure I can trust their overclocking results.

Of the four 1080s they reviewed, the worst of them had +600 on memory and one had +800. I'm not saying that's impossible but given the results I've seen, it's pretty unlikely. Not sure I can trust their overclocking results.
Their memory clocks range from 11.2Ghz to 11.6Ghz. My 1080 did +600 on memory too, and that is very common. Don't see why an extra 200Mhz is so crazy.

Anyway like all the AIB cards that aren't priced like MSI, the Strix looks good.

And can be yours for the reasonable short supply price of $899.99.

Yea this is ridiculous..I wanted either the OC version of this card or the Gigabyte one but they're never available anywhere. What a launch this is. I feel like I'm going have to have to wait another 3+ months to be able to leisurely go to NewEgg's site or any place just to be able to order one when I want.

Yea this is ridiculous..I wanted either the OC version of this card or the Gigabyte one but they're never available anywhere. What a launch this is. I feel like I'm going have to have to wait another 3+ months to be able to leisurely go to NewEgg's site or any place just to be able to order one when I want.

Yes sir, this problem with video card releases just gets worse and worse. I just don't remember the gauging being this bad in the past.

Yes sir, this problem with video card releases just gets worse and worse. I just don't remember the gauging being this bad in the past.
This is the way it will always be though. Nvidia will never make more cards than it can sell in the beginning, why would they? Doubt they give a single shit about making us wait or have us face highway robbery to get one of their new cards within the week of their launch. I'm just glad I skipped this gen. I literally only bet my money on Titan's now and part of the reason is they aren't as financially feasible to every gamer on the market as some of the mid range cards are. Possibly a better chance of getting one sooner, and for actual MSRP.

This is the way it will always be though. Nvidia will never make more cards than it can sell in the beginning, why would they? Doubt they give a single shit about making us wait or have us face highway robbery to get one of their new cards within the week of their launch. I'm just glad I skipped this gen. I literally only bet my money on Titan's now and part of the reason is they aren't as financially feasible to every gamer on the market as some of the mid range cards are. Possibly a better chance of getting one sooner, and for actual MSRP.

I've decided to stick with my 970. I was going to look at the 1070, but won't even bother till next year. At 1080p, it's not a big deal.

Having just received a Strix, I am contemplating sending it back unopened after reading numerous reports of QC issues. Now someone on Reddit got the card from Newegg and it didn't even have the thermal pads installed (they took the cooler off) :(

I'll Trade you an Evga SC for your Strix...

Sell it to get some money back :D and how much you looking:p lol

Sell it to get some money back :D and how much you looking:p lol

It's boxed back up and getting returned to Newegg. Wish Newegg allowed refunds after the product was opened, I am itching to try this card out. It's probably fine, just too many people having issues for me to be comfortable.

RIP the only time I've ever had the top end video card since the Voodoo 5 5500 was new.

FWIW, mine is rock solid stable OC'ed as follows - getting fantastic performance:

Voltage: +20
+190 GPU
+650 memory

It's boxed back up and getting returned to Newegg. Wish Newegg allowed refunds after the product was opened, I am itching to try this card out. It's probably fine, just too many people having issues for me to be comfortable.

RIP the only time I've ever had the top end video card since the Voodoo 5 5500 was new.

I would have bought it from you.

I scored a 1080 oc strix from newegg last night. I'll have it no later than Friday since I paid extra for 2 day shipping. I'm a little nervous though as some people have said the temps are too high.

I'm excited. I've never had a flagship card when a flagship card has been released
Going to get this Asus one I sell my 980GTX and my 780GTX that I've lying around

I scored a 1080 oc strix from newegg last night. I'll have it no later than Friday since I paid extra for 2 day shipping. I'm a little nervous though as some people have said the temps are too high.

I've been checking newegg every few hours for the last week. Glad to see they are still coming in at least but I'm getting impatient. Finishing up a new build and it is the last thing I'm waiting on.

I've been checking newegg every few hours for the last week. Glad to see they are still coming in at least but I'm getting impatient. Finishing up a new build and it is the last thing I'm waiting on.

I got lucky, I just happened to click on it and was on the page and it said "add to cart". If I had only been prompted by "nowinstock" I would have never gotten my order in yesterday. It was dumb luck from a desperate 1080 stalker (me).

Got my Strix (non OC) yesterday and I see no QC issues. Tops out around 71-72C in benchmarks and 67-70C in games depending on the game. Also runs extremely quiet.

I OC'd it within a few minutes of installing it and it OC's just as well as the pre-overclocked version. Almost 18K with 1 card in Firestrike and I haven't really pushed it at all.

I scored 17 946 in Fire Strike

Nice, seems all Pascal's hit around 2050. Great cards! Love the Asus the best if it wasn't so wide.

Nice, seems all Pascal's hit around 2050.

This is pretty much where everything has settled out. More lucky people are around 2100 and the less lucky ones are at 2000 or just below. Doesn't matter what the card is, everything comes down to aesthetics, noise, and cooling system preference (rear exhaust/water cooled...).

50Mhz being what.. less than 2% performance? I went with Gigabyte, actual custom PCB that still uses 8Pin that isn't wide and is shorter than their 970 G1. Love the Asus still tho.

Trying to tinker around with the 1080 that I got today. I'm hitting 2063 boost before I start getting throttled.

Trying to tinker around with the 1080 that I got today. I'm hitting 2063 boost before I start getting throttled.

I got mine too. So far so good but I'm not sure how to test it. I've never OC'd a card before. How are you testing yours?

I have GPU tweak and Aura installed.

Back