ASUS GPU TWEAK II is plagued with bugs

WetMacula

Gawd
I picked up a 1070 STRIX for my HTPC because it has (2) HDMI 2.0 ports and (2) PWM headers. Just like their motherboard FanXpert software, the GPU TWEAK II software is fucking half-baked and almost renders the PWM headers useless. Must be the same inept programmer(s). I sent a message with a list of the the issues I found to their forum moderator, hoping he'd pass it on. That forum doesn't get many views, is slow as molasses, and for some inexplicable reason the text boxes don't word wrap.

GPU Tweak Minimum Fan Speed?
^ link to ROG forum (wish H forum would post the actual link)

Last edited:
It looks like you've answered your own question?

You can try sending a PM to Gary Key here, if you want. He is an ASUS tech support person who lurks around here.

I find the user interaction paradigm of the GPU TWEAK II software very counter-intuitive. And very limited, especially at the low end (like lowering the base claock or setting the minimum fan speed in a custom fan profile).

And the Aura lighting control program, when I installed it, caused an error that prevented Windows 10 from booting - perhaps because I had a Strix GTX 970 installed with my ROG Stric GTX 1080 at the time? So those fancy lighting modes in the two ROG STRIX GTX 10x0 cards I have isn't worth anything at the moment - I haven't tried re-installing the Aura program since I swapped the GTX 970 for a ROG Strix GTX 1060. That's too bad, I thought having the color reflect the temperature of the card would have been cool.

I find the user interaction paradigm of the GPU TWEAK II software very counter-intuitive. And very limited, especially at the low end (like lowering the base claock or setting the minimum fan speed in a custom fan profile).

And the Aura lighting control program, when I installed it, caused an error that prevented Windows 10 from booting. So those fancy lighting modes in the two ROG STRIX GTX 10x0 cards I have isn't worth anything at the moment. That's too bad, I thought having the color reflect the temperature of the card would have been cool.

The Aura service has a manufacturer listed as "<TODO> COMPANY NAME" in the list of Windows services. That is how trash it is, they didn't take the time to even fill in the project details. GPU Tweak II doesn't even have an option to reset the stats? That is like monitoring software 101 :(

The service crashed a few times in my PC, I set the LED to Color Cycle and uninstalled the ASUS apps.

Last edited:
Don't really have a question. Just wanted to warn others interested in using the PWM headers. The LED control should be part of the Tweak program. Anyways I got the LED software working on Window 10 x64 Enterprise but it does not scale with the Windows DPI settings. Asus needs new programmers. They can afford it.

Don't really have a question. Just wanted to warn others interested in using the PWM headers. The LED control should be part of the Tweak program. Anyways I got the LED software working on Window 10 x64 Enterprise but it does not scale with the Windows DPI settings. Asus needs new programmers. They can afford it.
The LED program needed to be installed separately on my my PC, it isn't built into GPU Tweak. Then launching it from GPU Tweak opens another the Aura app...

Last edited:
Sorry I should have been more clear. The LED program is separate. I don't see why they don't make it part of the GPU TWEAK program. ASUS software has always been terrible. It's a shame because the addition of PWM fan headers and assignable temperature sensors (on the Sabertooth's) are brilliant ideas squandered by half-assed broken software.

Sorry I should have been more clear. The LED program is separate. I don't see why they don't make it part of the GPU TWEAK program. ASUS software has always been terrible. It's a shame because the addition of PWM fan headers and assignable temperature sensors (on the Sabertooth's) are brilliant ideas squandered by half-assed broken software.

True that. My biggest disappointment with my Strix 1070 is that the LEDs showing the GPU temperature is 100% controlled by a janky ass ASUS service and not built into the cards firmware.

The Gigabyte "App Center" for my main board is so trashy I can't use that either. Damn these hardware makers can't make decent software :cry:

thanks for the info guys, been thinking about getting a asus 1070, but will
stick with evga or msi now............

The STRIX is still a very nice GPU. Mine never exceeds 65 C with the fans below 50%. I picked up the OC version for about $420 at Jet using SHOP10 code and it shipped from Newegg in CA. I have (2) 780 classifieds and EVGA's fans suck in comparison. It has (2) HDMI 2.0 ports which is useful for VR and simultaneous connections to a TV and an AVR. I think the only other card that offers (2) hdmi ports is the top shelf Gigabyte, but uses an expansion card. My 1070 boosts over 2000 core with a +500 memory OC. Haven't done much gaming on it yet. At 60 Hz under load with MadVR, there is a continuous clicking noise (not from the fans / possibly coil whine) but cannot be heard outside the case. Playing doom it will squeal a bit at the load screen but quiets down during actual gaming. I wanted to test for coil whine at 120-144 Hz with my Asus Swift but that machine is running Windows 10 LTSB which is incompatible with pascal cards.

Going to pick up a 2016 65E6 LG OLED tomorrow so we'll see how it behaves with image doubling in MadVR with 1080 rips on a 4K TV. Doubling 720P with NNEDI3 (64 neurons) and all the other goodies turned on, the card is about 60-70% loaded. I have a separate thread for this and will update it if satisfied with the TV.

I may ditch the ASUS software tonight and move the case fans to the motherboard headers at a constant 30%. Having the GPU and case fans auto-stop below 50C is a nice feature but (3) 140-mm 1200 rpm Noctua redux fans limited to 50% (by ASUS GPU TWEAK) is still a little too loud at 10-ft feet on my couch. I will find out if the GPU fans still auto stop when using Afterburner but I doubt it.

Thanks for the heads-up! My brother-in-law just picked this up yesterday but he's not using the extra software so I think he dodged a bullet. If he can manage to pick up two additional ones, my wife and I will be receiving them within a week so this thread is very timely indeed.

thanks for the info guys, been thinking about getting a asus 1070, but will
stick with evga or msi now............

EVGA once released a version of Precision X once that was so bad it broke a Windows Arial font and screwed up web browsing on user's PCs. People have been bitching about the new EVGA XOC as well. Buy for the hardware, not the software :D

I like my asus 1080 strix, but beeing on an azerty keyboard the software is useless to me, it uses some keybinds that can't normally be changed, that prevent me from using @ and some other things so I'm not using it.

For now I wont be messing with the clocks anyways as it runs tons better then my old GTX 780 and a good 10+°c cooler (65° tops with 45% fan speed while the other went as far as 79°)

I have Asus video cards and motherboard, and I can totally relate, their software sucks. They don't (or didn't at least) even have a Win10 motherboard utility for my Asus maximus board. I realize it isn't brand new, but shit, it's not that old. I bought an Asus 1080 the other day on impulse and I've been debating sending it back when it gets here, this is making me lean further towards returning it.

Just uninstalled GPU tweak2. Fans still go idle at desktop. Also, Aura still works with changing colors etc. I'll check out afterburner and see if after installing it, the fans still go to idle mode.

I have a Z68 Gene Z and its chassis fan minimum speed is limited to 60% which is even worse. What was ASUS thinking? Still hobbling along with the broke-ass GPU Tweak. For some reason the GPU fans never stop with custom curve now (it worked at one point). So I set GPU fans to AUTO and external fans to custom. Seems to work for now but still a little too loud.

Last edited:
It's software from Asus...enough said.... Hell, if you want to see a real clusterfuck take a look at their "AI Suite" software for their motherboards. It's an absolute disaster, it's almost laughable unless you happen to own an Asus motherboard and really want functional software.

Just uninstalled GPU tweak2. Fans still go idle at desktop. Also, Aura still works with changing colors etc. I'll check out afterburner and see if after installing it, the fans still go to idle mode.

If you select anything other than the GPU Temp or Music, you can uninstall Aura right off your PC and it keeps the setting saved to the card's BIOS :D

If you select anything other than the GPU Temp or Music, you can uninstall Aura right off your PC and it keeps the setting saved to the card's BIOS :D

Sure wish they would have included logic to have the card to temp based lighting by default. I personally think it's the best use of the RGB lighting.... I just wish I didn't have to have 'Aura' installed to do it.

I'm having a hard time with this pile of software on my non-OC Strix as well. When I first install it, everything seems fine. But after a reboot it seems to all go downhill.

First of all, it doesn't even start on its own, even though the option is ticked in the settings. When I open it manually, the 0RPM fan option box pulls a Houdini and is completely missing from the upper right corner of the window. Then I take a look at Task Manager to see the fan controller process sucking up 30% of the CPU! Doesn't go away until I kill the process manually. I even have to kill the Tweak tool process sometimes before I can even launch it again.

The card is beast, though, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I installed my 1070 over the weekend and as Windows (Windows 10 x64 Insider Edition) downloaded and installed the driver on its own I've been letting it handle the card without using the ASUS software. So far, so good. Card boosts just fine past 2000 and crawls under it in minor benchmarks (so far just the freebie 3DMark and Unigine Valley ones; any other good free ones? I won't pay money to bench unless there's a good game attached to it).

So far, the card has barely reached 60 C and that's in my current case (soon to be a Raven RV05 which will be in a whole other ballpark of air-cooling goodness).

Yes, the software is pretty crappy. It mostly works for what I needed out of it though. I wish I could set the GPU fan speed below 39% though. You can have 0%, and 39-100%. Of course the fans on my GTX 1080 Strix become audible in the very low 40's. :confused:

I picked up a 1070 STRIX for my HTPC because it has (2) HDMI 2.0 ports and (2) PWM headers. Just like their motherboard FanXpert software, the GPU TWEAK II software is fucking half-baked and almost renders the PWM headers useless. Must be the same inept programmer(s). I sent a message with a list of the the issues I found to their forum moderator, hoping he'd pass it on. That forum doesn't get many views, is slow as molasses, and for some inexplicable reason the text boxes don't word wrap.
You can use Speedfan to monitor the GPU temperature and control the PWM value of your case fans plugged into the motherboard based on GPU temperature. Otherwise you could use inline resistor adapters to slow the case fans down so the PWM range the Asus card lets you utilize are useful.

Back