ASUS Gives Full Breakdown of AMD X470 Lineup

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS has published an article over on its EdgeUp site that covers the full gamut of their new AMD X470 chipset motherboards. They get into the nitty gritty of balancing power component layouts to give better temps on the new Crosshair VI.

While the old Crosshair VI Hero allocates power phases to the CPU and SoC in an 8+4 split, its successor uses a 10+2 arrangement that shifts power to the processor cores. This rebalancing works with rearranged phase layouts north and west of the socket to lower VRM temperatures substantially compared to the previous generation. Sharing the load between more VRMs and spacing them out around the socket allows the Crosshair VII Hero to run noticeably cooler, with evenly distributed thermals. Heat is more localized on the last Hero, with higher temperatures for the circuitry supplying the CPU.

Couldn't they just add more phases to the older chipset? This is something some motherboard makers did with the AMD FX chipsets.

Couldn't they just add more phases to the older chipset? This is something some motherboard makers did with the AMD FX chipsets.
Sounds to me like they just redistributed what the phases were for in order to give more power to what needs it.

Adding more phases for the processor cores is essentially what they did.

Sma
Sounds to me like they just redistributed what the phases were for in order to give more power to what needs it.

Adding more phases for the processor cores is essentially what they did.
Smart. More phases means more power overall, plus less load per component.

Now, when is nVidia gonna try to claim this as their idea?

The ROG Crosshair VII Hero sounds awesome, but I just don't understand why I would want to plug a Ryzen processor into an Nvidia graphics card?

I might be in the minority, but I don't see the point of full ATX boards anymore. All you need is already integrated. SLI and Crossfire is not a thing anymore, and even if it were, you can do that with M-ATX boards. I prefer Mini-ITX and I've been using them since 2010 or so. I like my computers to be small.

I might be in the minority, but I don't see the point of full ATX boards anymore. All you need is already integrated. SLI and Crossfire is not a thing anymore, and even if it were, you can do that with M-ATX boards. I prefer Mini-ITX and I've been using them since 2010 or so. I like my computers to be small.

Full ATX Boards allow for more PCI Express lanes, depending on the chipset in use that is.. Providing more lanes to the slots instead of having a x16 slot with only the bandwidth of x4. That's about all I can think of..

I'm glad mini-itx is getting some love from the start this time around. I will probably have to go Asus this time around because of that M.2 placement.(I'm building in a Node 202 with a H60, so space management matters :happy:)

I like mine large, stuffed full of water loop gear, lots of quiet fans, and lighting. I like to OC to the max. Can't do that in a tiny case. I don't even think those tiny mobos OC that well.

I thought like this 10 years ago, then I built a small system. Never again. I've gone so far as filled my Cart with itx gear, but I always catch myself. More space than you need is so much better than not enough space for what you need. HDD follow the same rule, except with them you rarely pay more for less space.

if you don't know why people would prefer full atx boards over itx boards then that's fine they're not for you.. the list of reasons for why people go with atx over itx though is far to long to bother listing out though. but the key things are, they overclock better, they're easier to cool, they have better spacing for things like M.2 drives(not having to cram them on the back of the board), more space for multiple gpu's and/or expansion cards and the list goes on. i personally like itx boards i use them on my htpc builds but i'd never use one for my main system..

Back