Asus GeForce GTX 970, DVI-D not working?

XXGG

n00b
Hello,

Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix DVD-D port isn't detecting my monitor.

MY dual display (both DVI) worked well with my previous GPU (GTX 670).

Anyone else experience this? Likely a hardware issue? vBIOS?

Anyone else with GTX 970(any brand) could check theirs? (If you have a monitor with DVI).

btw... i am using DualLink cable.

I have a single VG278HE plugged into the DVI-D port of my STRIX 970 and it works perfectly. Might be a display incompatibility? What specific displays are you plugging into your video card?

I am using Dell 2407WFP & Viewsonic VX2025WM

Both work when I plug into DVI-I port,,, non work when plugged into DVI-D port.

?

Are you using more than one port on the back of the graphics card. I ran into a issue with one of my Displayports would not display video because It likely shares the same ramdac as the dvi port. When I moved my displayport over to a different output I was able to get video.

I use 3 displays. If by some chance your running multiple displays unplug all other displays Reboot and see if you get video from the dvi port.

I just received a email from ASUS and support told me it is not possible to use both DVI ports same time as it is configured on same chip.

Told me I can use in following configuration.
DVI/VGA + HDMI
HDMI + VGA/DVI

But damned support forgot to reply back with my other question as to why DVI-D port only work during the post, until the Windows logo and after that monitor get disconnected.

Yes, I am trying to use two monitor as that is how I have always been using since forever and worked fine with my previous GPU (GTX 670), both monitor on DVI.

Damn it this sucks because I used to have my projector connected to HDMI port.

I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter to have my Dell 2407 working but for whatever reason this Viewsonic does not work using a HDMI adapter. This sucks.

I just received a email from ASUS and support told me it is not possible to use both DVI ports same time as it is configured on same chip.

DVI/VGA + HDMI
HDMI + VGA/DVI

But damned support forgot to reply back with my other question as to why DVI-D port only work during the post, until the Windows logo and after that monitor get disconnected.

Yes, I am trying to use two monitor as that is how I have always been using since forever and worked fine with my previous GPU (GTX 670), both monitor on DVI.

Damn it this sucks because I used to have my projector connected to HDMI port.

I can use a DVI to HDMI adapter to have my Dell 2407 working but for whatever reason this Viewsonic does not work using a HDMI adapter. This sucks.

Ah that card has 2 DVI. Yeah that isn't going to work. I have 3 monitors that need DVI to run 120hz. I had to buy Displayport to dual link dvi active adapters.

Ah that card has 2 DVI. Yeah that isn't going to work. I have 3 monitors that need DVI to run 120hz. I had to buy Displayport to dual link dvi active adapters.

Is this only for certain resolutions/refresh rates? I've had 2x 970s, and I ran both of them with 2x monitors connected by DVI and 2x HDMI. Each monitor is 1600x1200. The 660 I had before worked in this same configuration as well.

Is this only for certain resolutions/refresh rates? I've had 2x 970s, and I ran both of them with 2x monitors connected by DVI and 2x HDMI. Each monitor is 1600x1200. The 660 I had before worked in this same configuration as well.

As far as I know even the GTX 9xx cards that have dual DVI you can use one or the other but not both dvi's at once.

As far as I know even the GTX 9xx cards that have dual DVI you can use one or the other but not both dvi's at once.

There has to be something else, I've had three Nvidia cards in a row, two from the 900 series, and been using two monitors connected via DVI on each card

There has to be something else, I've had three Nvidia cards in a row, two from the 900 series, and been using two monitors connected via DVI on each card

What brand were they. I believe what your saying and I guess the only thing that makes sense is that they are all designed differently.

Asus even told the op that on their cards you can't use dual dvi.

"I just received a email from ASUS and support told me it is not possible to use both DVI ports same time as it is configured on same chip.

DVI/VGA + HDMI
HDMI + VGA/DVI"

That's what I've seen others say too.

EVGA And MSI 970s.

I'm waiting for a Asus 970 to be in stock somewhere, it seems really odd that just the Asus card wouldn't work in my config. I've never even contemplated this config wouldn't work on certain cards until this thread. If this was true, prople would have crawl for flexibility when connecting three displays since there are only four ports on the card.

My monitors are "DVI" and possibly predate this whole DVI-D issue?

EVGA And MSI 970s.

I'm waiting for a Asus 970 to be in stock somewhere, it seems really odd that just the Asus card wouldn't work in my config. I've never even contemplated this config wouldn't work on certain cards until this thread. If this was true, prople would have crawl for flexibility when connecting three displays since there are only four ports on the card.

My monitors are "DVI" and possibly predate this whole DVI-D issue?

My monitors are 120hz 3d ready and they need DVI. Since I can't hook up 3 dvi's I needed to buy 2 adapters :(

They weren't cheap either. ($70 each)They needed to be Active Dual link dvi to Mini Displayport, then on top of that, I needed to buy 2 Mini dp to DP adapters ($5 each)

EVGA also told me that all the monitors need to be connected to the top Card. Unlike the GTX 680s I replaced where I could connect 2 DVI's to the top card and one on the bottom card. The assured me that this wouldn't work. Hell each card only has 1 DVI a piece.

Hello,

Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix DVD-D port isn't detecting my monitor.

MY dual display (both DVI) worked well with my previous GPU (GTX 670).

Anyone else experience this? Likely a hardware issue? vBIOS?

Anyone else with GTX 970(any brand) could check theirs? (If you have a monitor with DVI).

btw... i am using DualLink cable.

FYI I was having the same problem as posted here. In my post there are several other users that are having the same problem with their Gigabyte cards so I would not be surprised if other OEMs may have the same issue.

I have a Strix 970 coming tomorrow, will be interesting to see if it really doesn't work with a monitor connected to each DVI port.

I might order a Displayport->DVI adapter just in case. *checks Amazon* The adapter was only $8 shipped so I bought one.

Last edited:
Are you using more than one port on the back of the graphics card. I ran into a issue with one of my Displayports would not display video because It likely shares the same ramdac as the dvi port. When I moved my displayport over to a different output I was able to get video.

I use 3 displays. If by some chance your running multiple displays unplug all other displays Reboot and see if you get video from the dvi port.

You are right about the sharing but its not down to the RAMDAC.
That is only used for analogue out, the DAC part stands for Digital to Analogue Converter.

You are right about the sharing but its not down to the RAMDAC.
That is only used for analogue out, the DAC part stands for Digital to Analogue Converter.

Yes that's true. Sorry about that. Nvidia has had this behavior in their cards for years. I guess even now things are similar even with newer tech.

I might order a Displayport->DVI adapter just in case. *checks Amazon* The adapter was only $8 shipped so I bought one.

You likely bought a passive adapter rather than an active one.

Odds are that the one you bought will not work for you. Hopefully for you, I am wrong.

You likely bought a passive adapter rather than an active one.

Odds are that the one you bought will not work for you. Hopefully for you, I am wrong.

Why wouldn't it work? This isn't an AMD card which only had the clock generators for 2 displays. My monitors are 1600x1200 so I didn't think I needed an active (though really I suspect I might get by with no adapters)

Last edited:
Update: All three monitors working from a Strix GTX 970 and no adapter cables.

2x connected to DVI
1x connected to HDMI -> DVI cable

Each monitor is a Samsung 214T 1600x1200 @ 60Hz display

I connect two displays to my top Strix also via DVI for surround.. I get video on both so it definitely works.

edit: according to this review you should be able to use all 4 video outs at once.

That's rather odd - my refurbished GTX 550Ti also has dual DVI ports (in addition to mini-HDMI) and I can drive displays from both DVI ports at once (or either DVI-port and d-Sub). If the GTX 970 Strix has the same issue, that's one rather large minus.

Why it's a minus - for where I prefer using an actual audio card for audio (gaming, streaming, or any application where audio performance is a priority) like you, I get better display performance from DVI vs. HDMI. Further, DisplayPort is still not all that commonplace on every-day displays (while it IS more common on GPUs).

That's rather odd - my refurbished GTX 550Ti also has dual DVI ports (in addition to mini-HDMI) and I can drive displays from both DVI ports at once (or either DVI-port and d-Sub). If the GTX 970 Strix has the same issue, that's one rather large minus.

Why it's a minus - for where I prefer using an actual audio card for audio (gaming, streaming, or any application where audio performance is a priority) like you, I get better display performance from DVI vs. HDMI. Further, DisplayPort is still not all that commonplace on every-day displays (while it IS more common on GPUs).

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is. I had dual GTX 680s in SLi and I was able to use both DVI ports and even a DVI port on my 2nd card so for me no adapters were needed before. I was told that with the GTX 9xx series you needed to use either-or of the dvi ports (if you have more than 1 on the primary card) My cards do not have 2 dvi's per card but EVGA support told me that ALL my displays need to be connected to the top (primary card) which is different than before.

I noticed that I didn't get video if I plugged into the 2nd displayport. I guess this all gets confusing because manufacturers had the freedom to create their own configurations.

so what's the deal? op got a broken card or what? both of my monitors require full dual link dvi bandwidth and it's the only input they support.

so what's the deal? op got a broken card or what? both of my monitors require full dual link dvi bandwidth and it's the only input they support.

The card only has one Dual Link DVI output, so no it isn't going to output correctly do a DVI-D monitor over a DVI single link port. OP was never clear on exactly what monitors and cables were being used here.

UPDATE: Disregard

Last edited:
The card only has one Dual Link DVI output, so no it isn't going to output correctly do a DVI-D monitor over a DVI single link port. OP was never clear on exactly what monitors and cables were being used here.

well, i was going to buy the msi gaming, not the strix, and on its page it specifically says both of the dvi ports are dual link. fingers crossed, i guess.

Back