Asus G1S-A1

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anybody have this machine? I'm tempted to get one, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience running Windows XP on it. Somebody has put together a driver package for it for XP but there's nothing official from Asus.

I'm also debating getting it, and upgrading to 4gb RAM and Vista x64 to make up for Vista's memory eating.

I'm looking to use the machine for gaming, primarily Supreme Commander, and Starcraft 2 when it comes out.

If anyone has any input on this machine let me know!

Linkage:

http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GPS&Product_Code=G1S-A1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220182&Tpk=asus+g1s

I was really close to buying this very laptop. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that it's has a mobile 8600GT for the video. From what I've been reading the mobile 8600GT is a pretty crappy GPU because is has only 128-bit memory bus instead of a 256-bit memory bus like the mobile 7X00GTX GPU's in older systems. I really don't want to drop the cash on this laptop and then find out they released a mobile version of the 8800 GPU.

The nice thing about the ASUS is that, apparently, they use GDDR3 for their video RAM in the ASUS G1S and G2S. However, if you buy a Dell laptop with a 8600GT, it is only using GDDR2 chips. I don't know if that is true or not about the Dell GPU's. If you notice on the NewEgg link you posted, it has "Pre-installed DDRIII VRAM" in the title.

I really think the ASUS G1S is a great laptop aside from the GPU. Various reviews around the web also tout it's greatness. According to most of the reviews I've read the speakers on the ASUS G's really suck. Here's a good review I found: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3728&review=Asus+G1S

If you decide to go for it, please post your thoughts!

^Did you buy something else instead? I am in need of a lappy with decent gaming capability, and I don't want anything larger than 15".

Sound quality is not an issue as I will either be using headphones or 2.1 speakers with it.

^Did you buy something else instead? I am in need of a lappy with decent gaming capability, and I don't want anything larger than 15".

Sound quality is not an issue as I will either be using headphones or 2.1 speakers with it.

No, I haven't bought a new laptop for myself yet. With my current desktop, I don't really need a laptop right now. I am waiting to see if nVidia comes out with a mobile 8800 GPU in Q4 of 2007 or Q1 of 2008. If I was going to buy one right now and couldn't wait, then I would get the ASUS G1S. I would upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive for it though and use the one it comes with as a backup drive.

I ordered a Dell 1520 with the 8600 GT and a slower CPU for my brother (Use code 641C0DMGDKFLLQ to save $325 off $1,299.00+ on this Dell Inspiron notebook. (valid 8/8/2007 - 8/23/2007 11:59:59 PM)). It should be here some time this week. I am going to try a few games on it just to see how well it does. If it does decently then I might just order myself the ASUS G1S and not wait around for a better mobile GPU from nVidia.

I haven't seen anything with better graphics power than the G1S. Do you know what it means by "up to 1gb?"

Also, I was looking at the Asus V1 which has the same GPU, but 512mb of DDR2. It has the advantage of being almost a pound lighter, and it has one of those multifunction bay things, so you can take out the DVD-RW and drop in another battery.

The 2.4ghz MacBook Pro is an option but I will have to wait a while longer, and again it has a weaker GPU and lower res.

I haven't seen anything with better graphics power than the G1S. Do you know what it means by "up to 1gb?"

Also, I was looking at the Asus V1 which has the same GPU, but 512mb of DDR2. It has the advantage of being almost a pound lighter, and it has one of those multifunction bay things, so you can take out the DVD-RW and drop in another battery.

The 2.4ghz MacBook Pro is an option but I will have to wait a while longer, and again it has a weaker GPU and lower res.

There are a few companys out there selling laptops with 8700 GT's. Rumor has it the 8700's are just overclocked 8600s. I think Toshiba, HP and Sager have laptops with 8700's in them. I really haven't been researching the 8700's too much. I think all the laptops that do have the 8700m in them all have 17 inch screens.

I have no clue what "up to 1gb" means. I'm guessing this is TurboCache for DX10 apps.

Looks like ZZF has the ASUS G1S for even cheaper then NewEgg - $1754 after MIR.

That's a good price. I was actually leaning towards gentechpc because they'll customize it however you want, including throwing in an Intel Turbo Memory card.

Just an update, I ended-up going with the Sager NP5790. The GPU options, OS options and the price are all perfect.

I have the g1s I like it but wayy too much bloatware preinstalled. u need to do allot of work to revert back to xp if u want to. it always seems to have some kind of problem with drivers once u reinstall withtout the disc. also I'm running ultimate 64 bit so I blame that for some of my problems obviously. anyways. like it lots of power deffinetly upfgrade to the 7200 if u have the option on the hard drive. looks amazing.

I saw one of these at bestbuy today. Not a bad price it was $1599 for a 2ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd version. Its on the bigger and heavier side for a 15.4" but the screen is very nice and the feel of the materials are good. The bottom of the laptop is very bumpy though which I didn't like. I prefer a flat button like a thinkpad, most dells, or a mac.

That Sager is a nice system, just very loud from what I have read and its large due to the weight and size 17inch.

Back